Sketchbook: Middle aged madness: First signs - Page 22
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you are working so hard here! I notice for life drawings you are relying very much upon shapes...shapes can be a very powerful tool to use, but in my opinion using construction and drawing through the forms of things is extraordinarily important. For example, rather than use a couple lines to outline the upper leg, instead start off lightly with a cylinder in which the entire ellipse at either end is drawn as though it is made of glass (you can see the other side). This allows you to better understand how the forms sit in space--what volume do they hold, is it coming towards or going away from us, how will it interact with light etc.

Anyhow, keep up the good work

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Sonea: Hey Andrew thanks so much for stopping by. You are right the pastel figures are all about shape and proportion and I am following Mark English's method. That said though I do want to use a construction approach with my regular life drawings so I shall make sure I do as you suggest, as your latest life drawings looked great, so much form. Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

Pastel Figures:

Found all of these really difficult to get the silhouette and proportions right. Time ran out before I could really put in the lights. All 15 mins each from photo ref.

Attached Images Attached Images        

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life Drawing - Term 9

So start of a new term and even after a short break of three weeks I did feel rusty. I think the two short 10 min poses went quite well and the last standing pose is ok for proportions, but I did get a bit carried away just throwing in my tones all over the place. My main challenge of the evening was the foot of the foreshortened leg in the sitting pose. I just couldn't figure it out before time was up.

I'm thinking of getting some large tracing paper so that can draw over my poses at home to see if I can correct them.

1. 5 min gestures.
    2. 10 min poses.
    3. 20 min pose.
    4. 45 min pose.

Last edited by Marian Rowling; April 25th, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Date added

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pastel Figures:

Here are some more pastels. All 15 mins each from photo ref. I am still making overall proportions to tall and skinny, but as always I have a lot of fun and look forward to the next drawing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life Drawing - Term 9

I've been thinking a bit more about my process and I want to start with a gesture which is just my best guess then go in and measure to correct. I was also thinking about Andrew Soneas's post above and tried to lightly draw in those cylinders to start off the shapes of the legs. By the time I got to my last drawing I felt this was starting to work and as a bonus I was much happy with how the breast's were going as I also struggle a lot getting the shapes and weight right.

1. 5 min gesture.
    2. 20 min poses.
    3. 15 min pose.
    4. 45 min pose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Knife Painting

Here a small, 10 x 7", tonal study done from one of my life drawings. My teacher suggested I have a go at this and just use a knife to paint and lay the paint on fairly thickly. I had real problems controlling the paint and also realised when I had finished that it might be best to work from background to foreground, I had worked dark to light. It's good though because it does make you really think about tone and constantly question if the area you are looking at is lighter or darker that the surrounding area.

Even though there was a lot of paint smearing I really enjoyed doing this and I shall try next time to lay the paint over paint more gently. My teacher said it is something you get used to.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good job!

Hi, I've seen all your SB and I saw you have improved so much. Your figures are great. I love your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking really nice Marian!
    with the longer life poses start by trying to communicate the shape and gesture of the pose with as few lines as possible, then begin to break those lines into more and more smaller lines and angle breaks as you go on. being hasty with trying to capture small shapes and angle breaks right away can be a little tricky.

the pastels are looking great! a real sense of improvement in the last 5-6 pages.

i posted an answer to your question in my sketchbook x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cojac: Thanks so much Christina, that means a lot to me.

Raffix: Thanks Raffix for your feedback and the answer to my question. It's not easy at all to get those first few lines to capture the gesture and pose, is it! I shall try harder though to do as you suggest. I kinda wish I could just come for a day visit to LARA so I could watch those first few steps and get a better understanding of what to look for

Life Drawing - Term 9

Our teacher decided to do an exercise this week where the model repeats a set movement. I remember doing this when I first started life drawing and I'm afraid to say I am just as confused as to what I should do now, as I was then! So I tend to just watch the model and draw nothing.

After this we had a 10 min pose so I used that time to have ago at doing a lot of quick gestures. I am trying to channel Glen Vilppu when doing these but looking back at them they do look very two dimensional. I shall keep working on improving

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy reading your updates and watching your progression. Your methodical approach coupled with your patience and studying the basics is very helpful. I'm nowhere near as far along as you, but appreciate the sentiment and knowledge that there are others like us (I'm 33) that are starting out later than most and looking for a lifelong hobby.

Thanks for writing down your experience, I definitely hope to learn from it. Never give up, never surrender.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful studies, love the sketch in oil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Marian,
    Thanks for your visit and your support. Your updates are truly great as always. I need to check here more often for a regular kick. Keep working hard (I'm sure you will) You're going to be awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rishenko: Hey rishenko thank you so much for your kind words. Having looked at your sketchbook I don't think it will be that long before you have passed me, and then I shall have to run to catch up!

mike butkus: Wow Mike thanks so much, can't tell you how much it means to have your professional eyes look at my humble scribbling's, especially when you are so busy.

Damien Levs: I was glad to see you had posted Damien as I do believe you are going to be awesome as well. As always I appreciate you feedback and support to.

Sketches Update:

I've not been doing much sketching lately as I've been focusing on doing a longer still life study. All these are from photo reference and the some of the gestures are studies after Michael Hampton.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mortar & Pestle

So here is the latest on my still life study. I have to say that it has been very hard work just to get to this stage. It looks so simple but I have found many weaknesses in my skills and been challenged all the way. This is what I want though to be constantly pushed to improve so I feel my time is well spent doing this.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The still life is looking good, Marian.
    I've been meaning to ask you where did you find the instructions for the shadow box? I remember seeing it somewhere in these forums but can't remember where. Is the halogen light the kind of light I should buy when starting these life studies? I'm so confused with these stuff but I need to really start focusing on values and shadow box seems like a good way to go.
    Also did you use brush with the charcoal? I'd love to learn to use charcoal but I'm such a noob with it and just don't know how to use it at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those figures are looking awesome man, just keep doing what you're doing. And I really
    like the still life; those values are spot on! Nice work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work on the fishes, I love the style of your lines. The mortar and pestle study is very interesting. I've been working on various mini-studies with value scales, and yours looks fantastic, thanks for showing it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments, I see your really concentrating on your art, I really like your
    tenacity in your work. Love the ink studies, I similarly had a project with ink, though we only had to copy a master study.
    Keep up the good work!

My SB!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Satupeikko: Hey Satu thanks so much. I followed the lesson over at PaintBasket.com to build my shadow box. Here is a link to the page where you can buy instant access to the video http://www.paintbasket.com/paintbaskettv/?stream=live if you scroll down the page to Replays available it is Oil - Intro to Still Life Painting. The first 30 mins is all about composition but then Nolan actually builds a shadow box from a cardboard box and then demonstrates a few setups with the light. I just brought a light like the one I saw him use from my local DIY shop. You also get a PDF file with these video lessons that also show you what to do with words and photos.

In answer to your other questions, yes I did brush the charcoal and I also rub it to remove some with a paper towel, like kitchen roll. I'm still really learning what charcoal can do myself but that is why I decided to do a still life so I could practice that and my values. I hope that helps, and if you have anymore questions about the videos on paintbasket.com just PM as I have watched quite a lot of them.

jeremygordon89: Thanks so much Jeremy I really do appreciate your feedback and encouragement.

rishenko: Hey rishenko, thanks for visiting again. I'm glad you like the fishes, I found a great photo ref of them at all these different angles and I just couldn't resist the urge to draw them in ink.

ArghosRo: Hey ArghosRos thanks so much for your kind comments, I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you have been up to.

Life Drawing - Term 9

I really like the model we had this week as he does these great dynamic poses that he holds for so long and keeps so still. He also makes me want to improve drawing so much so that I can capture these great poses. The floor pose was really challenging and I didn't start of very well, but I stuck at and I'm glad I at least capture the whole pose, despite giving the poor model a club foot! Really enjoyed myself tonight and felt my drawing was flowing well.

1. 5 min gestures.
    Name:  IMG_4413.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  47.8 KB
    2. 40 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4412.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  47.5 KB
    3. 30 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4411.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  38.9 KB

Last edited by Marian Rowling; May 18th, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on your new set of sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mike butkus: Many thanks Mike for commenting again, I really don't know how you find the time to help so many of us but I know it really makes my day and motivates me no end.

Life Drawing - Term 9

So here is what I got up to in last weeks class. I struggled with some very challenging poses and ended up with some awkward looking drawings. The lying down pose was lovely but totally confused my brain which seems to be unable, as yet, to transfer what I know of measuring from a vertical pose to a horizontal one. I just couldn't decide how to start and what to use as my unit of measure. I ended up with some way off proportions. Thankfully I can recognise my weakness, laugh, and look forward to trying again. I have included a couple of trace overs I did to have another ago at this pose, who knows someone may be able to show me the errors of my ways.

The second seated pose was also very tricky with the arms and legs all crossing over each other. The fingers of the hands were interlaced but I have no idea as yet how to approach them. May sound strange but I enjoy these lessons where I'm pushed right out of my comfort zone and I always come away super charged to try harder so that I can draw them better.

1. 5 min gestures.
    Name:  IMG_4424.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  29.9 KB

2. 15 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4425.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  28.9 KB

3. Trace over 1.
    Name:  IMG_4430.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  30.9 KB

4. Trace over 2.
    Name:  IMG_4431.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  25.9 KB

3. 15 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4427.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  42.9 KB

4. 30 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4428.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  42.4 KB

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    These last updates are looking great Marian. Im sat in a hostal in Ecuador waiting for my flight and I thought Id just take a look at what youve been up to.

The painted life drawing looks great, and the palette knife is always fun (if a bit frustrating sometimes!). No crits there. The others are all looking strong, but if I were to crit anything it would be to perhaps reduce the value range in your still life that youve done of the mortar and pestle. The drawing is great, and youve blocked in the shadow and light areas really nicely, but I would be careful about getting too dark with those shadows. There is almost never a shadow that dark unless its an occlusion shadow, and often there will be a hint of colour in there too from the reflected light. Remember that you should try to group your shadow and light sections as much as possible to create clarity and help demonstrate the form. Youve done this really well by separating the planes clearly, but try to keep those shadows a little closer.

Anyway, something to think about, but apart from that it looks great, Im envious of your still-life skills now!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian!

Mortar and Pestle looks super I really like the soft looking style to this. Your figures are shaping up so well! I wish I could offer some in depth crit, but I am afraid I am at no standard to do so...

...All the best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian, I like the oil painted gesture, and the pestle and mortar study.Coming along with your value studies.

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your shape observation is improving Marian - that is awesome! Mortar and Pestle is great!!!

-cheers - Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThomasM: Hey Tom, great to hear from you and welcome home. Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm still really struggling with seeing my values so your help is very welcome. I will go back and work on it some more so I shall have ago at lighten up the shadows. Thanks again.

Damien Levs: Hey Damien thanks so much for your kind words, your feedback is very useful as it's always good to know what other artists think whatever there own skill level.

poetry man:
    Hey Andre so good to hear from you and thanks for the encouraging feedback. Hope all goes well with your own art.

kevinwueste: Many thanks Kevin it's good to know you can see the improvement, I think it's still very hit and miss but you know how much I enjoy trying. I'm glad you like my Mortar and Pestle.

Pastel Figures:

Still enjoying the challenge of these. Although not obvious from my drawings they really make you think about composition, silhouette, shape, proportion, light and dark, mark making and so much more. I found I was really struggling with the proportions and overall shape on some of these so I thought it would be a good idea to do some trace overs so I could see how far out my eye is. They are all 15 mins each from photo ref.

Last edited by Marian Rowling; May 31st, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life Drawing - Term 9

My teacher kindly showed me how to stretch paper this week. I find it quite amazing how it dries so flat after buckling so much. Can't help but wonder what the science behind it is. I enjoyed myself this week and I think my proportions were better. I did manage to get a bit of tone on the paper as well. Time ran out again before I had a chance to get the shadow shapes more accurate.

1.5 min gestures.
    Name:  IMG_4434.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  39.1 KB

2. 25 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4435.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  38.6 KB

3. 35 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4436.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  29.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life Drawing - Term 9

Had another good class this week. My teacher encouraged me to move onto tone again even though I had not even checked the accuracy of my last pose. He is trying to help me see values and wanted me to understand that once I had the pose down I could still make changes to it with tone.

1. 5 min gestures.
    Name:  IMG_4450.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  47.5 KB

2. 45 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4451.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  56.9 KB

3. 35 min pose.
    Name:  IMG_4452.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  32.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I'll certainly take your advice.

Nice figure studies. Your block-in's look convincing and "form-y".

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MatthewHD: Was my pleasure Matthew I thought your eggs still life look very good, you impressed me. Thanks for taking the time to stop by mine, I appreciate your feedback.

Pastel Figures:

I felt I did a bit better with this batch. The proportions are more accurate on the light figures on a dark background and I think I captured the gesture of the poses. Also managed to get a lighter touch with the pastels putting in the light areas. Went a bit to tall and skinny again on the dark figures on a light background but I was pleased that I got the gestures again and even had time to render the darks to show a bit of form. As always these are all from photo ref and 15 mins each.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 164