Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle aged madness: First signs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    kiwigarbage - oooooooh .... haha thats a risky thing to say on these forums :p

The brilliant thing about Loomis is that it forces the idea of thinking in "volumes" which is essential for drawing of almost any kind.

Marian these last gestures look absolutely great! I am really impressed with the biro work, far better than anything I could do myself!

The loomis studies are looking good too. The main and most important thing to take away from them is to do the proportions EXACTLY when drawing something out. Later on you can be more loose with them but at first its drawing them really accurately that helps get that all important idea of volumes in space. I can't stress enough how long I wasted doing Loomis faces without really concentrating on the proportions and relative positions.

Keep on working away and merry christmas!
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 897 Posts
    hi marian

i like the first flowing figure, the figures and the page composition

Thanks
    Hiya Marian ! keep up the hard work.. keep thinking abstract shapes and vbig shapes!! ( not that you aren't - I'm just adding a tiny voice in your head!) - Kevin

Thanks
    BLIMEY!!!! So many great comments. My sincerest heartfelt thanks to each and everyone of you for your useful advice, support and encouragement. Really means a lot to me and I wish you all continued success and a Merry Christmas.

NickTrip & kiwigarbage: Thanks so much to both of you. I have become just as interested in the many methods of learning to draw as I am in drawing so it's great to know your differing takes on Loomis and your own thoughts. I really do appreciate all your help so no need for you to worry kiwi. Feel free to say what you think.

poetry man: Hey Andre thanks so much for your kind comments. I'm glad I indirectly helped you.

Izer: Wow Izer thank you so much I really appreciate you taking the time to go through all the pages. I'm glad you liked my Bouguereau gestures as it was something quite different for me. I can't admit to understanding much of Bridgman or Loomis yet but I have found that each time I return to a study my level of understanding increases. You just have to have faith in your studies and give it time to all penetrate the brain!

purplegoat: Hey PG you know you have become my stalwart supporter! What a year we've had together and as always your advice is sound and your encouragement welcome. I like to think those little gems you talk off are the future us and it always makes me pretty excited. I am going to have to continue to work hard if I'm going to keep up with you.

jNeumann: Hey jNewmann thanks a bunch. I've got a feeling I will be sorta jealous of all your studies and progress in the year to come.

bharat: Hey bharat thanks for the sound advice I shall do my very best!

ThomasM: Hey Tom so glad you like my biro gestures I had a good time doing them looking at all those beautiful Bouguereau paintings. I'm not to sure what the master himself would have thought LOL! As always you are spot on with your advice about my studies of Loomis. I turned to him as a natural progression as I was having a lot of problems working out the general proportions of the head in any orientation that wasn't front or side on. I am also struggling with getting form on the face especially the muzzle area so I'm hopeful that my combination of Loomis and Lemen will help me out. Thanks again for your support and useful advice.

zou: Hey zou I'm glad you like them. Means a lot that you stopped by again.

kevinwueste: Wow Kevin thanks so much for commenting again. I like hearing your tiny voice in my head! I hope you know I aspire to be just like you........artistically that is LOL.

Wow....again everyone.....thankyou so much

Sketches Update:
    The first two are more Loomis studies with a touch of Ron Lemen here and there. Then my block-in for my first Master drawing study. Below that you can see the Master drawing and the red lines drawn on perspex show my thought approach to my initial block-in. I was uncertain how much to simplify the bent arm to start so being able to draw over the Master drawing on perspex really helps me work out what I want to do. I will also overlay the perspex over my block-in to check for accuracy before moving on. I am anticipating that this study will take me a really long time. I am sighting all points and lines and then checking with my trusty knitting needle.

Thanks
    nice to see you are starting the same study - its a really good one. The loomis studies are looking better already and are really just a matter of practice. Getting a really really good idea of volumes in space is something that takes years so don't worry if it still seems hard even after studying. I get frustrated sometimes myself but then I imagine when you reach that stage its even more satisfying.

Lovely christmas card, merry christmas to you too!

Thanks
    Brilliant stuff, I love how you show the class workflow in your sketchbook, it really helps seeing the different methods that you use to analyze the form.
    In your sketches I noticed that sometimes the legs look slightly shorter, but other than that, your life drawing looks pretty neat.
    The piece 'Modern Abstract Madness - inner feelings of artist' is your best work so far

Thanks
    The head studies are looking great. I just started a head drawing video which look like it uses a similar method as you are using with the rhythm lines. The Christmas card is nicely done. A new year is upon us. I'm excited to see what improvement the new year will bring in our drawing skills. I'm sure if we keep up steady practice and study by this time next year we will be rocking it!

Cheers!
    My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

Thanks
    Ah! The "envelope" method. I really fought against that approach with the angles for a long time, but once I embraced it, my figures started looking much more accurate.

You're putting it to good use too!

Can't wait for the next update
    SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks
    ThomasM: Thanks Tom for the reassurance it is much appreciated. I haven't touched my master study since my last post, lazy me!

lennon: 'Modern Abstract Madness - inner feelings of artist' .......... Hey lennon you made me really laugh with this. Thanks so much for mentioning my short legs. I did think I was drawing them too short, especially knee to ankle. I shall have to train myself to always think of it and add a little. Your help is much appreciated as well as your humour.

purplegoat: Hey PG I was just looking in your SB yesterday and saw you got the Ron Lemen video as well. So we are quite literally studying the same page at the moment. Glad you liked my Christmas card. I shot the photo from my bedroom window a couple of weeks back when we had a lot of snow for us! I'm excited as well to see what we can achieve next year. We will both have to keep an eye on each other so we don't get distracted and keep up with our studies.

kiwigarbage: Hey kiwi that's good to know you have walked this path. So thanks for that and the encouragement. I can see the potential of this method even though at times it seems so alien to me.

Sketches Update:
    So last update for this year and it's more head studies after Loomis and Lemen. Had a little laugh at the top page as the one in the middle on the top row reminds me of the film Mars Attack, not intentional! The cartoon fans among you will recognise my Preston Blair studies. Apart from being fun I wanted to do these to help me see forms in perspective and practice wrapping the forms around each other. I really do struggle with these two areas. Finally a page trying to put the studies into action and see what I'm retaining. They are all from reference and I'm pleased that some of these studies are starting to imprint more permanently on my brain.

Thanks
    BOO! hey Marian hows things? looks like you have been super busy! I will be back in the new year with a few more words and maybe some art????

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    latigid: Hey Glenn great to hear from you. I'm doing good thanks and still loving learning how to draw. Be great to see what you've been doing as I've really missed having you around.

Sketches Update:
    Happy New Year to you all. Thought I'd start the New Year off with a couple of self portraits. Not to good for likeness but I think the proportions aren't bad and I really enjoyed doing them.
    Last edited by Marian Rowling; January 2nd, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Marian, Happy new year to you!! keep up the good work. I like the transition from realistic to cartoon figures. I personally do that a lot. It keeps the imaginative juices flowing!

keep doing those ellipse studies, and always remember that the perfect ellipse is found within a half sphere, and the sphere is found within the framework of a box.

keep pushing yourself, and I hope all goes well with you.

peace.
    Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

15. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hola Marian!

Nice start to the new year. Whether you think there is a likeness or not doesn't matter so much as both your portraits have some key similarities so you must be doing something right!

The facial proportions in the last couple of posts are looking better, so you are obviously paying more care to getting them just right - always a good sign.

One thing I've noticed is that you have a tendency to make the eye sockets quite deep and perhaps a tad too large overall. Its only a tiny thing but its worth mentioning to avoid that skeletal look that some people develop, where the bone structure is overly prominent.

Looking good, more please!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 ... LastLast