Sketchbook: Middle aged madness: First signs - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle aged madness: First signs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates since I was here last!

I still think your work is really measured but its certainly getting alot more umm "random". Less precise and more natural- In a good way mind you!

Keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theodora_romania: Ha ha Theodora is it my moustache and beard that remind you of Constantin Brâncuși rather than my work! Only joking of course, thanks so much for broadening my knowledge of artists, I will indeed 'google' him, and your constant support is very much appreciated.

WaSsim: Hey Wassim thanks so much for your feedback. It's always good to know what fellow artists think.

ThomasM: Hey Tom look at you with your new shiny avatar, looks good. I think painting like sculpting, like drawing are all very challenging for my brain. Being older it does take a fair bit longer to de-program it and teach it knew things. I never want to be afraid though, to try something out or move on, just because I might at first fail. As always it's great to have your feedback and support, I'm still very inspired by your own mammoth desire to learn.

Little-Maiden: Thanks so much Little-Maiden. I am indeed rather measured but it's good to know that there are some signs of randomness.

Sketches Update:

These are all from photo refs and show how I have been influenced by the TAD students silhouette drawings I have seen in various sketchbooks. The last two are a work in progress where I am following Carlton Tomlin's (Philsiflo) tutorial on his blog http://carltontomlin.blogspot.com/20...f-playing.html. Thanks to Carlton I had a huge revalation on how to approach doing a silhouette drawing and get those lovely value shifts that communicate form so well. This combined with my colour study has started to give me a good idea of how a painting would be built up. It's been a very exciting couple of weeks and who knew a paper towel wiping charcoal away could be so thrilling for me!

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life Drawing: Term 7

So I really struggled with my gestures this class. I think it was the extreme fore shortening that caused the main problem, however I also note my proportions were so off. This lasted into my first pose as I continued to try out the new tonal method of drawing. I am so pleased that the paper towel method works on the paper we are given at class. We only have small sticks of charcoal to use but I was still able to manipulate it in a similar way. Quite happy with the results and very keen to try it again and get better.

1. 5 min gestures.
    2. 45 min pose.
    3. 40 min pose.

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting stuff from this Carlton cat... I'll have to check him out.

Cheers for the link. (I've kind of done the "sculpting" stuff with vine... but would like to see what he brings to the table)

RE: 5 minute gestures: You have to force yourself back from the paper a bit, as well as from the model--I'm finding (esp. lately). Get a start somewhere (usually the head) and start moving your eyes from one side of the form to the other. Keep the hand slow to begin, but then build momentum. Go very lightly. Then, go back through and (while looking at the model simultaneously) find the measurements that you're sure were right.

If some were off, use a measurement that you pick (from the paper) which is right, and fix the things that are off.

Makes things so much quicker/easier.

Have fun and keep it up

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage: Double thanks to you Sage for your last couple of posts. Both a big help and I'm really grateful to you again for taking the time to look, comment, support, encourage and help.

Sculpture Study Update:

Thanks to Sage's post above I did make sure I put in the tooth cylinder/muzzle area this week. Generally worked all over just trying to correct all the proportional and shape errors I could see. I then cut out the bottom of a plastic tub and used it as a scraper to start working on the planes of the face. You can see in the last photo (shot from above) how I have one side further out than the other and this and the chin area will be what I shall concentrate on next. I need to get the planes to recede back from my mouth to from my jaw. Still feeling very happy working with clay and just sculpting in general.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! I really like your figure drawings,... excellent works! The sculpture is also going very well. How much time does it take to do something like that?

"We all have 10000 bad drawings in us so the sooner you get them out the better" - Walt Stanchfield

> visit my sketchbook
    > visit my blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Baudolino: My pleasure Baudolino I really enjoyed looking at your sketchbook. Thanks so much for your feedback and kind words. Very much appreciated. The answer to your question about my sculpture is I don't know yet! This is the first time I ever attempted anything like this so I'm kinda making it up as I go along. I only get to work on it once a week for a 3-5hour session so I guess probably about 12 hours so far. Thanks for asking and visiting.

Portrait Painting: Class 1- Negative Space

I went to my first Portrait Painting class this Monday and came away feeling really pleased and excited at the promise of this short night school course. I think the tutor seems to have some good knowledge to impart and it's great to have someone to talk to about painting. This weeks lesson was about Negative Space and Silhouettes. I couldn't believe how timely this was and fitted in with my current home studies. For those who are interested in knowing the details here is a link to my tutors website http://theportraitplace.co.uk/artadvert.php.

1. From life model.
    2. From photo ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gorgeous work and a massive improvement from page 1... Really inspiring Keep it up! I love the sculpture!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sculpt is coming along well. Very nice; the muzzle/mouth area looks much better. Looks like another good class you've signed up. Excellent. Will be awaiting your impending awesomeness

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey , thanks for commenting on my sb, you have a good sb i like the improvement from page 1 to page 17 , you doing good studies
    all i have to say is just keep going
    good luck

wassim

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lohes: Hey lohes thanks so much, you are very inspiring yourself.

p sage: Thanks Sage I am feeling pleased about my painting class as it's great to take that next step into painting. I have so wanted to have ago at oils but just didn't know how to start. You cracked me up with your 'impending awesomeness' comment.

Wassim: My pleasure Wassim you are doing great and I enjoyed looking at your studies. I'm glad you like mine and I appreciate the support.

Bit better this week I thought with my gestures. As Sage suggested in his post above I tried to go from side to side with them. I quite like the one in the top left hand corner. I decided to have ago at doing the long poses by starting with a silhouette, carry on with what I learnt at my Portrait class. Not easy at all but I can see a lot of worth in this approach and it does capture the whole pose and likeness of the model which is good.

1. 5 min gestures.
    2. 45 min pose.
    3. 40 min pose.

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow Marian that technique looks insane! In a good way of course. I'm so impressed by the progress you've made in the space of only a couple of pages of this sketchbook. I will definitely have to check out that technique with the paper towel. Im pleased that your portrait painting class is working out, that sounds like a great thing to do. I get a bit of a kick out of going to classes like that whenever I get the opportunity (not often) just because I feel like I'm really doing all I can to learn and progress. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

I have no crits for you at all, although I do love the delicacy of the first silhouette from life. I think the sculpture is looking very promising. Are you using the loomis plane-diagrams while you do that? If not then I'd definitely recommend having them to hand as you sculpt. Something I found helpful a while back when I tried to produce a little head (and failed horribly!). Even helpful text couldn't save my horrible sculpting skills.

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    5 stars from me

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey marian! just leaved through your sketchbook, and I must say, it has been ver inspiering to see you hammering away day by day and steadily improve in the process. keep it up!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Marian, im lovin the negative shape studies!

Sketchbook

my subconscious does not stop begging my conscious to draw.
    hmm does that mean im a slave to my subconscious?
    at least it doesnt beg for crack. ha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThomasM: My heartfelt thanks Tom for your 5 stars, means a lot to me as you know I'm a big fan of yours. I'm feeling really good about what I'm doing at the moment and a few things I haven't really understood fully are finally clicking into place and of course this has lead to me wanting to do a whole lot more studying! I know you know how it is.

Thanks for reminding me about Loomis planes I have just found out that two of his books are available to buy on amazon.co.uk, which is rather good. I haven't actually been using Loomis planes but I do have an Asaro head and when I get stuck I use that to help me work out the generic planes. I'm sure I remember seeing you post the start of a head sculpt in your book Tom and I thought it was good. I shall have to go back and remind myself of it.

ashess: Hey Agnes thanks for taking a look I really appreciate your feedback. It's always good to know what fellow artists think. Thank you I shall most certainly keep hammering away.

mrd33ds: Hey Greg, thanks to you to, glad you like my negative shapes.

Portrait Painting: Class - Voluntary Homework

So Thursday night I decided to take the plunge and have ago at painting my silhouette from Monday's class onto canvas board ready for next weeks class. It was great to finally start oil painting. I added a little walnut oil to make my old paint a bit easier to brush and used turpentine to correct my drawing errors. I realise these silhouette's looks very simple by I find them very challenging and I can really see the value in doing them to train the eye and also get a likeness. I always judge by eye first and then measure to see how accurate I am. It's often surprising to see how out I can be.

1. All set up and ready to go.
    2. My finished silhouette 16"x20".
    3. Silhouette from another photo.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man i have enjoyed too , keep rocking

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Ah, you have the Asaro head now. Cool beans.

Interesting looking silhouette exercise. I'll be interested to see how this turns out for you.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wassim: Thanks Wassim I'm glad you enjoyed tham.

p sage: Hey Sage the Asaro head is very useful. I hope to do some drawings and other studies of it later on. I thought your drawing was brilliant. As you can tell I'm quite fascinated by the silhouette's and negative space drawings at the moment so I'm interested to see where it will lead also.

Sculpture Study Update

Managed to do another 3 hour session this week and I'm really quite pleased with how the side views are going. The front still has many issues including some symmetry errors with the muzzle of the mouth and the angle of the planes beneath the eyes being too steep. I am encouraged though by the errors I can see because the more I can see the more I can correct and whilst I'm sculpting they aren't always obvious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The amount of work you put out is impressive. Loving the 3d work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're certainly aware of the issues in the sculpt, and that in and of itself is a great sign for you. Your inner critic is tuned up in a good way... that will lead you far.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unlink40: Hey Unlink thanks so much for visiting and your kind words of support. I just have to get my drawings to be as impressive as my output!

p sage: Thanks Sage even in my most dire works I always look for what I think I've done well first and then look for the errors and parts that I can improve. I think a very positive attitude is vital, for me at least.

Portrait Painting: Class 2- Assessing Tone

This weeks lecture was full of useful information like how not to paint a ghost, by having white or a much lighter value surrounding pale skin tones. How to look next to the highlight to find the skin tone and looking in the nostril area for the shadow. Then from here mix the skin tone with the shadow to find the half tone. We also discussed reflected light and how NOT to paint the whites of the eyes white. To achieve the illusion of form you need a full range of tones, Highlight, Skin Tone, Half Tone, Shadow and Reflected Light.

It was all great and then I got into the painting room and felt so out of my depth. I think having not used oils before also made me a bit 'scary mary'. I took a deep breath though and summoned my courage and tried to identify the Highlight, Skin tone and Shadow on the model. I mixed these using Raw Umber and Titanium White with Liquin as my medium. My teacher commented that she had made it much harder for me as the model was now fully lit and had a white sheet behind her and I had come with a dark background painted.

So not a bad effort I thought. I think my shadow tones on my down facing planes worked, but the background and hair didn't and I did feel I had painted a bit of a ghost without much tonal range. The good thing is though we were allowed to photograph the model for our own reference so there is nothing stopping me doing some value studies in pencil to try to work it out and then I can have another go at painting it.

Last edited by Marian Rowling; October 9th, 2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Image missing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn Marian your figure studies are looking great, really like the portrait negative space studies and the 3d model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Izer: Many thanks Izer for your feedback I'm glad you like what I've been doing. I just have to try to be more consistent with my figure drawing now.

My favorite model this week so I always enjoy myself even more. Felt pleased with everything I tried. I think the body is too long and head too small on the last pose but I was pleased I managed to get the feeling of the form of the foreshortened knee. Obviously still early days with this technique but I think it's good and makes me think like a painter.

My teacher suggested next week that I bring in a small sketchpad and spend the lesson doing gestures so that on the long poses I can sketch the model from all angles. I think this is a brilliant idea so hopefully if the class isn't too full next week I will give it a go.

1. 5 min gestures.
    2. 40 min pose.
    3. 35 min pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches are simple, but really nice - for some reason I like this facepalming guy the most but I just adore these sculptures! They look very realistic, and their expressions are warm and delicate Keep it up

The acceleration a of a body is parallel and directly proportional to the net force F and inversely proportional to the mass.

MY SWEET SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice figures and a good stab at the oil portrait. This is nothing but pure progress for you.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking the latest work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian - I love what you are doing lately. I think that using the charcoal more like paint and less like a pencil is a good, inexpensive (less expensive than oil paints) and easy way to delve into working with tone. Since you are also working with primarily line in some figure drawings and some primarily tone, you are taking the two elements that make up 2 dimensional art. The silhouette idea is intriguing and I may give it a go soon.

Your figures are looking more organic and less stiff which is good. With foreshortening, try to take your time to measure and draw what your measurements indicate. If something seems "off" try and figure out why and correct it.

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trufle: Hey Trufle thanks so much for your feedback. It's always great to know what fellow artist think.

p sage: Many thanks Sage, I like to think of the saying 'from little acorns, mighty oaks grow'.

midknight523: Hey Armando I'm really pleased to hear that. Thankyou

purplegoat: Hey PG thanks so much I think the feeling is mutual as I'm also loving your current studies. I still keep falling into the trap of getting into the detail before I've got my big shapes and proportions correct. Have to keep reminding myself this all the time.

Sketches Update:

These are all observational life studies except for the head studies which I did from the photos I'm using for my head sculpture. I was trying to work out and get a better understanding of the photos, looking at proportion, alignment, rhythm and planes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have such an epic amount of study. Truly an inspiration to the likes of myself. You silhouette heads look really nice. Keep plugging. I hope you are enjoying your journey!

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 164