Sketchbook: Middle aged madness: First signs - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle aged madness: First signs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master copies are great practice, keep doing them. Also, you can never do enough anatomy studies.

I hope to see more stuff soon : D
    You're doing well, keep on this good track

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ThomasM: Thanks Tom, I hear you on all points. Have to say though I appreciate having longer poses at life drawing class as it really gives me the chance to study what I'm looking at. I think to really benefit though you do need both. Quick poses for gesture and long ones for training that observational eye. We just have to make the best of what we have at the moment. Thanks for sticking with me, I hope you enjoy the update now it's finally here.

jeremygordon89: Hey Jeremy thanks so much for stopping by and supporting me. I really do appreciate your feedback.

Sketches Update:

So taking the advice of others to work on longer drawings I've been having a go at a still life of a pair of slippers. The first page shows my initial gesture, and at this stage I realised that the shape of the slippers was very complex.

I approached my drawing starting with an envelope and then breaking that down. Overall I just couldn't get the shape right for the front of the slippers and the way they slightly angled up. The second page shows me trying to work some of this out, just drawing freehand, and also thinking about lighting, rendering and composition.

Lastly my finished drawing. I stopped when I just couldn't make it look any better. Overall I am pleased with my result but I am aware that the proportions still aren't right so I need to keep working on this in my future studies. The drawing was done in a moleskin sketchbook using a 2H and 2B graphite pencil.

Attached Images Attached Images      

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good sketches you've got on page 11!
    And those slippers make me smile ^_^ they're so cute!
    Pay attention on your strokes!)) They are a bit hairy in some places...look at masters sketches, how they do their strokes and values, try coping them and after do yours, you'll see the difference I guarantee ^_~
    Till next update my friend!=)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristoff For This Useful Post:

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you've handled those slippers very well Marian. I have tried drawing shoes a few times myself as still-life's and they are always very difficult in terms of shape, which is probably a good thing for training your eye. They have a deceptively complex shape and are easily subject to extreme foreshortening, so you've gotten some nice results.

No crits, just congrats on page 12 already

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for posting my SB.

Great improvement from your first post to last, in particular your figure drawings.

Love your master study in post #304. The line work is superb, great clarity and confidence in those.

But the thing I would say is that there is a slight inconsistency with the confidence in lines. e.g. if you compare the line drawing of the shoes you did on post #332 with the sort of confidence you show in your master drawing, it doesn't seem to match up. Perhaps apply that mentality you have when copying/studying a master drawing and apply that to your studies on other objects may help discipline this area a bit more. Hope that helps.

Also I really find that viewer you used intuitive in size. Like a little pocket viewer, might consider using something that too! lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seungy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kristoff: Hey Katherina thanks so much for coming back again your feedback is great. Thanks for pointing out my hairy lines I shall take your advice my friend.

ThomasM: Hey Tom I totally agree shoes in general are full of challenging shapes. I'm sure I will do more of them to improve. Check out this life drawing update below, I know you will appreciate me getting all influenced from watching Mark English. I didn't have the pastels so I just tried it with the charcoal! LOL.

seungy: Hey Seungy thanks so much for visiting and your kind words and support. I hope you realise in post #304 that the very first image, fully rendered, is the original master drawing and not mine!

You are so right about my confidence and line work and rendering. When I'm not sure what I'm doing it all goes a bit pete tong! LOL. Thanks so much for your help and feedback.

Life Drawing: Term 5

Really enjoyed myself at class last night. It started out pretty much as normal with my dodgy gestures. Then on the first long pose I decided to do a little silhouette first. This was influenced I think by the video I had watched of Mark English using pastels to show the importance of getting the silhouette right. I guess I probably spent half the 40 mins doing this little drawing and then went ahead with my envelope approach. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was able to block the pose in and the proportions didn't look too bad either.

I was discussing what I had done with a fellow student and he said now you've done that you should do something totally different next. So still with the words and images of Mark English in my mind I approached the last drawing using the side of the charcoal to block in the whole shape, as a silhouette first, with no measuring. This was great fun by the way. Again I was surprised as when I checked the main proportions by measuring they were fairly accurate. Feels really good when things turn out right. These moments don't happen too often at the moment!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian, thanks for commenting in my SB.
    You've come on leaps and bounds since I was here last.
    Those slippers look excellent and the life drawings highlight your increased confidence.
    Keep up the awesome work and.......... keep pushing yourself Marian!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbosnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turbosnail: Hey hey Snaily thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate your feedback and very kind words. I'm hoping to see you updating more in your sketchbook.

Sketches Update: 12.3.11

I went out last Saturday to scout for landscapes to draw. It was sunny but much windier than I realised After an hour or more of wandering round peering through my viewfinder I managed to do two quick thumbnail sketches of one of the restored wind tunnel buildings ,Q121, which had great angles going on with the roofs and an interesting bit of machinery. Although it wasn't the landscape I had in mind I loved the angles, perspective and colours and I will go back to study it more on a less windy day.

I have been trying out a bag with all my sketching equipment in it ready for my trip to Las Vegas. Unfortunately on my way home the strap on the bag broke, fortunately I caught my camera before it hit the floor! I thought it was a good job it happened now and not when I had it dangling over a rail at the Grand Canyon!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches Update:

Went down to my local supermarket cafe yesterday and had ago at sketching people. First time ever and I was pleased I didn't feel self conscious. I actually enjoyed myself so I shall do more when I get the chance. The rest of these are all from life except the landscape which was a photo study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is one of my favorites. Please, keep up the inspiring work!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to emperor_boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow marian those life drawings are great. I'm impressed you managed to get the proportions in whilst people were sitting in a cafe, I can never manage to find someone sitting still enough!

Thanks for those great links to that guy's cast making on my sb - I've ordered the nose, ear and mouth all for only £35 which is a bargain from what I've seen online. One thing though, I think it require payment with SWIFT, an international banking service which has a minimum £10 charge, so factor that in to your purchase!

I have a little recommendation for you, which has helped me a huge amount since christmas:

www.amazon.co.uk/Derwent-Pencil-Wrap/dp/B000P6YNHK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1300624229&sr=8-9

It keeps your pencils, sharpener, fineliners, perhaps some brushes (although I don't carry them round myself) etc etc all very neat and rolled up for a tiny price. I've found it saves me stabbing myself in the hand every time I use a pencil, although sometimes I forget and it still happens.

The water on that cathedral sketch looks great btw no crits from me

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emperor_boy: Wow emperor_boy thank you so much for saying that. It's really kind of you to show me such support.

ThomasM: Thanks Tom I'm glad you approve, means a lot to me. The cafe sketching is truly challenging. Beginners luck I think! Thanks also for the info on the casts. I didn't know about SWIFT so it's good of you to give me the heads up. I will more than likely be making a similar purchase in the not too distant future, and I have also put the pencil wrap on my amazon list. The rate we're going we will have to start our own atelier to pay for our art shopaholic lifestyles! I think I now know why artists are so poor. LOL

Glad you like the cathedral sketch. I've found I get a nice effect with a carpenters pencil on my Rymans sketchbook. Which is cartridge paper with a slight tooth. When I originally used it on inkjet paper I got no tonal range at all. I live, I learn.

Master Study Update:

"Now you see, now you don't". That kinda sums up how my master study has been going. I've been labouring away putting in the outlines for my shadow shapes. I've even lightly shaded them, just to return the next session and realise they don't look right at all. So, I've rubbed it out and tried again.

I think the mistake I'm making is I'm not simplifying the shapes enough and getting caught up in the details. Having poured over my books and numerous threads, here, I have already rubbed out what you see below to adjust it again. I have also made myself a value scale with cut outs in the middle, which I hope will help me work out my values when I get to the rendering. I did say this could take me a long time, right.

1. Original Master
    2. My drawing
    3. Close up of my drawing

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes Marian nice simplification of those shapes there. yes we are shopaholics when it comes to art things, but I can honestly say I don't enjoy shopping for much else. so at least I'm spending money on pencils and busts which would otherwise, to another person, be spent on clothes. haha I might end up looking like a homeless person, but I will have a studio fit for a king!

oh and one more thing for the study, be BOLD! Just tell yourself you can do it and I'm sure you will be able to. It is great to measure carefully, and you somehow have managed to get it blocked in perfectly (or at least to my eyes), but sometimes its best to dive in there and get your hands dirty with the graphite. I say that, although I know its easier said than done once you have put hours and hours into blocking in proportions.

P.S. I have a few of those rymans sketchbooks lying around and they are what I learnt with for the first 8/9 months, but eventually I got fed up of sharpening my pencils! They seem to just eat 2B's.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian. You've been busy!

I think that environments are your strong point right now. I really like the approach. I perceive you are at an Atelier? that is good. I was actually thinking of being educated at one so that I can pursue academic drawing, which I believe would really improve my concentration. I tend to love quick working for some reason. You have great gestures. I consider that they are made using a mental envelope technique and angle-linear measuring also, which gives them that straight-line curve appeal. Maybe you can experiment with wild curves at a later time. And I would also use stronger outlines at that moment, but I definitely see where this approach is leading you. Nice shoe study, I think you got the left one more accurate with the slight up curve on the front.

Keep it up! good work!

:peace:

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

26. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Marian
    i'm glad to see you're having much fun practicing your art. You're doing what i dream to do :trips to draw nature and really academic learning path.

your composition choices are nice
    i'm expecting a lot from your master study

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasM View Post
    haha I might end up looking like a homeless person, but I will have a studio fit for a king!
    ThomasM: haha Tom I think that might be me as well! Thanks so much for your encouragement. I shall try to be bold. I actually really like using my carpenters pencil in the rymans sketchbook. I think the carpenters pencils are harder to wear down.

poetry man: Hey Andre thanks so much for visiting, I've left you a message in your sketchbook. I really appreciate your feedback and you are so right about the shoes. I really struggled to get that slight curve right but it defeated me in the end. I will keep on trying though.

zou: Hey zou thanks for dropping in. Going out to draw is a great new experience that I hope to build on, and I am really into the whole academic scene at the moment. Glad you like my compositions and I hope I don't disappoint you with my master study, it is slow going without the help of a teacher but I am determined to finish it the best I can. Thanks again for your support.

So we had a new model this week, and being a lot younger than our usual models he did some dynamic poses for our quick gestures. I couldn't do them justice but I do think I got the odd line here and there that reads well. The longer poses were really difficult and I struggled with the foreshortening. I kept to the same processes as last week using an envelope and measuring for the first one, then using tone to try to get the silhouette for the last one. My proportions are way off on both and I ran out of time to correct them but my brain and eyes got a really good work out.

1. 5 min gestures.
    2. 35 min pose.
    3. 40 min pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last one has some great form to it Marian and yeah you might be right about your pencils. I have been using loose pencils bought from WHSmiths until recently and they are destroyed by those books, so they must be soft.

I hope you are enjoying the sun! I'm out in the garden doing an oil painting (just came in for a minute and saw you posted) - and on that note....

There is one left if you are intersted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimson-Blak...1060030&sr=8-1

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey MR,

Much luck to you on the master study!

(Slow detailed stuff like that drives me crazy. . .)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally Posted by ThomasM
    There is one left if you are intersted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimson-Blak...1060030&sr=8-1
    ThomasM: SOLD!! Haha . Thanks for that Tom and the encouragement. I saw that the palette needs to be treated with linseed oil. I've got some boiled linseed oil that I use on wood in the garden from Wickes. I wonder if I can use it and if it is the same as the stuff sold by the art shops. What did you do?

I did enjoy myself in the sun but no drawing or painting for me, I visited with my folks. I really liked your garden study and the whole idea of you painting away in the outdoor sun. Something I'm working towards doing myself.

Kamber Parrk:
    Haha ....thanks Kamber I really don't mind the slow detailed stuff but I have been out cafe sketching which is all loose and quick. Tried to remember your advice and start several at one time until one of them settles. Really good advice so I'm grateful for that.

Sketches Update:

First up is a redraw of one of my life drawings, followed by a page of my sister's head. None of them really look like her. A quick sketch of my hand. Then I managed to get out twice cafe sketching this week so I did three pages. I find this is a great compliment to the longer master study I'm doing at the moment and I want to try to do it as often as I can. Finally an ideation page for a famous person portrait illustration. I'm not sure whether I have the skills yet to take this any further but it's something for me to aim towards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian!

Thanks for constantly stopping by my SB with encouragement! You are awesome.

Great studies. What i would stress is to mix your quick studies with longer ones. Really take your time with them and get them just right. I mean, at school we spend weeks, even months sometimes on a complex cast drawing absorbing everything there is to know about it. That might not be easy for everyone to do but still, try not to rush to completion.

Great to see you starting on that master drawing. Really try to focus on getting everything just right. When you focus that much on getting the lines absolutely perfect I find that you look at things around you differently. You suddenly become aware of the ever so slight change in an angle etc.

Anyways, you're doing great and I see greatness coming. Keep it up!

Cheers

35. The Following User Says Thank You to gerezon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the progresses you've made through your significant studies. It's fun to follow your art; I think the landscape are the best, but I think it's right to study figure as well, because with this we can reach a deeper and newer level of expression.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan_kolor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Apologies for not commenting earlier, going through your thread it's very rewarding to see your hard work leading to progress - I have to say your method of trying all these different techniques as well as dedication must be the key. I like the results from the enveloping, but the black silhouette and pastel life drawings are great, I definitely will have to try those. The shoes paid off also, the forms in the end are tight!

The bargue study is looking okay so far, it's hard to see some things accurately until values start going down, I think his left tricep could be a bit lower but the rest looks accurate. Definitely more simplification in the process will make it easier next time

Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great post marian - lots of work there, and I'm glad that you bought that wooden palette. As for the treating, well I didn't really do a lot to it, because I was impatient to get started, but the best treatment (from what I have gathered from the google anyway) is to just rub the linseed oil into the board and wait for it to be soaked up, then repeat a couple more times: The point of adding linseed oil to the board is so that the wood doesn't soak up the linseed oil from the paints when you mix on it.

It is also great to see you using that TAD ideation process to some degree! I haven't personally applied it much yet myself, but I will definitely be doing it from now on. The cafe sketches look good again, and drawing your own hand is a great challenge at any level (see adolph menzels painting of his own foot):

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...1t:429,r:2,s:0

Anyway, enough rambling from me - great work and keep it up, I cant wait to see your improvement in another 12 pages!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gerezon: Hey Jonas I'm a BIG fan of yours so thanks so much for visiting me. How brilliant are you and how have you found the time! I really appreciate your feedback and its great to have your advice. Rest assured I will follow it as I really admire your skills and art.

Ivan_kolor: Hey Ivan I'm so glad you've enjoyed my studies and thanks for the feedback and support. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

tehmeh: Hey Olly, you are so fab. I'm a big fan and having this kind of feedback, support and encouragement from you is priceless. I'v been fiddling with that 'left tricep' today and your observation was spot on. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thank you so much.

ThomasM: Thanks so much Tom for the info on the palette. It's especially great to have your feedback as you know more than anyone what I'm rattling on about! LOL Thanks so much also for that Adolph Menzel link. That is such a brilliant painting of a foot, wow, I would love to be able to paint like that one day. Something for me to aspire to and please feel free to ramble as much as you like. You know I'm always interested in my fellow artists thoughts.

Sketches Update:
    A few more ideas for my Einstein conceptual portrait. This is fun to do, I picked Einstein because he has so much expression in his face but I've found it difficult to think of different concepts for him as I don't know too much about physics! I've had two ideas that I like thus far so I shall have to keep mulling it over and see what else comes out. Also some more cafe sketches.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when I go thru your thread I see improvements all the way. Keep it up and you'll be able to draw anatomy without ref in no time..

Thanks a lot btw, appreciate your comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice cafe sketches, I am to afraid of what ppl might say about my drawings to do that. Need to get out there more. They look great, keep em coming and ill try be as brave as u are.

Cheers/ your friend PMB

"Painting my brain with memories of the future"
    Pencil and brush is my choice of weapons!

My Sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177145&page=8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MichaelMotion: Hey Michael that's such a kind thing to say. Thanks a lot! I really enjoy your work so it's a pleasure to comment.

PaintMyBrain: Hey PaintMyBrain thanks so much for your feedback it's good of you to say. Read my post below and it might help you overcome your fear and take that first step.

RE: CAFE SKETCHING

Went on my fifth visit to the cafe sketching yesterday. I have actually started to feel fairly relaxed doing this. Not wanting to draw attention to myself, offend, or unnerve others, I never draw people facing me, unless they are a good distance away, and should my subject be looking back at me when I look at them I make sure I draw someone else for a while.

Then, horrors of horrors, after about 30 mins of discreetly sketching I was aware that every time I looked up there was a man staring at me. As he was facing me on the next table it was very difficult to avoid looking at him. I tried not to let it put me off and continued drawing. After a while he winked at me. Now I would like to say that being a middle aged woman this is something that regularly happens to me in cafes. However it does not, so I politely smiled back and then carried on drawing acutely aware that I was being observed.

I just had that feeling he was going to come over and then he did. Obviously those of you who are not yet confident in your drawing, like me, fear this the most. If you are one, you know what I mean. He asked me what I was drawing, and asked if he could see them. Rather than instantly dying on the spot of embarrassment I actually found myself answering him in a perfectly normal way and showing several pages of my sketches!

He was really nice about my drawings and encouraging and I realised that there is nothing to fear. I tell this story mainly to help those of you who, until recently like me, don't sketch in public because of this very fear. Hopefully knowing I survived will encourage you to go out and draw. Onwards and upwards, just give it a go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya,amazing sketchbook you have here keep it up. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fransua: Hey fransua thanks so much!

I really liked the first long pose this week. It was very classical and we all thought that all that was missing was a couple of arrows stuck in his chest! It was a great pose to draw and I would have liked to draw it all day. I think I kinda lost it on the last pose with regard to the proportions. Despite this I still like the feeling of the pose I captured.

1. 5 min gestures.
    2. 45 min pose.
    3. 30 min pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian I love the cafe sketch story - its so true from my personal experience too, people usually just say "thats really nice that you can just come out and sketch like that". I find people are impressed just by the fact that you dare to do it, regardless of the drawings. I had some nice conversations with people doing those inks I did at the weekend just sitting outside king's college. The more you do it the more comfortable you get with the experience - and now the summer is coming I am looking forward to more from you. These last ones are looking far better than your first cafe sketches which wasn't even long ago! Great work

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 164