Size:  77.6 KB
    Name:  SB_1.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  68.2 KB
    Name:  SB_2.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  54.2 KB

Hi everyone,

Truly inspired by the community here I have decided to try and free my inhibitions. I’m going to let myself go and see what happens. I’m aiming for that fine line between genius and madness. At the moment its total madness. I feel like a dormant volcano erupting. Will it be a pyroclastic surge or a polite after dinner belch.

Since 21.7.09 its been a steady stream of studies from Jack Hamm, Bridgman and Riven Phoenix. Here's just a couple. Feel free to comment and thanks for stopping by.

16.4.14 Update: Well I am pleased to say that I am still drawing and the above portrait is my first finished portrait. To see more of how I am progressing see the last few pages. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by David Ahmad; April 16th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    First still life attempt. Struggled with this for an hour and it shows. To put it simply its damn ugly. However trying to think positively I started to look and draw the outline shapes and think more about the volume and perspective. Then got all carried away shading and ended up with another ugly mess. I’m glad I did it though as I now know how much I have to improve.
    Top left of this page is another Hamm head.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 897 Posts
    good starting dude,

those studies seems good proportioned
    keep on this good track

practice is the key to perfection

Thanks
    I dunno man, I like the peppers. They remind me of some Euan Uglow sketches of fruit and veg. Which is good!

Thanks
    Great studies. Dynamic, and great anatomy! Keep at it, as practice makes perfect (or as close as we can get to perfection anyway )

Thanks
    Nice clean structure studies you've got there, keep posting

Thanks

15.8.09 Sketches

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your comments. I didn't expect any yet.

zou - Thanks. I have been trying really hard to memorise the proportions and not just copy what I see. So much to remember though which I guess is where the practice comes in. Loved your SB by the way.
    JoshMurr- Thanks for your kind words and introducing me to Euan Uglow works. I'm always interested in finding other artists to study. Great start with your SB.
    Dr.Blindsy - Cheers. I felt nervous starting this SB. It is the right way to go though, I think, as the support really encourages me to stick at it. I most certainly need to practice as there is so much to learn.
    corza334 - Cheers for the feedback I need all the encouragement I can get and I can see from your SB that you've been working hard.

So work from yesterday:
    1. Bridgman study: the figures on the right are not shaded. I was trying a different approach and making lots of circles trying to literally feel the forms I was drawing.
    2. Bargue study: This is my first one. Found it really challenging and did a lot of erasing and redrawing especially with the eyelid and brow area. I really enjoyed doing this it was thoroughly interesting.

I'm also reading fellow members SB's at the moment. I completed MindCandyMan's first which is an amazing journey. Currently reading panchosimpson http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ghlight=bargue he's making amazing improvement as well. I really like his master studies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 897 Posts
    hi

don't bother yourself too much about memorizing. As long as you practice from the good masters (bridgman ...) and with the good method( The CA method ) you'll get all the things in you mind soon.

good luck mate

Thanks

16.8.09 sketches

zou - thanks I'll bear that in mind.

Thought I would try another still life as I really need to improve with these. Turned out to be a load of bananas. (Sorry I just couldn't resist this poor pun hehe!)

Thanks
    Thats a really awkward angle so kudos for stepping up to the plate, you've handled the foreshortenening really well!
    Only other thing I can think to say is try to push your values a bit more, and keep up the good work!
    Peace

Thanks

17.8.09 + 18.8.09 Sketches

danlambert - Hey Dan thanks for the kind words. I did get lost with the values and it all started looking mid tone gray so I stopped. Feel inspired to try again though after seeing your rendering. Thanks.

1. Still life study - Garlic. I started this on Monday evening and inspired by seeing danlambert's SB decided to do a bit of a tonal study. As I lost the light I finished up on Tuesday. I was really enjoying doing it and I feel quite pleased with the result although I think maybe some values should still be darker. I have a long way to go.

2. Page of Bridgman studies from my sketchbook.

Thanks

19.8.09 Sketches of Mum

Whilst visiting with my parents yesterday evening I had another go at drawing my Mum. After I finished the drawing I looked back at my two previous attempts to see if I had improved. In my madness I have decided to post them, although they are not good, accurate or flattering, I can see improvement and I hope by doing this I will banish my fear and embarrassment. Hopefully this post won't come back to haunt me.

19.7.09 Left image: This was my first attempt and I only spent 10 mins. I remember being scared to put the pencil on the paper and make a mark.
    28.7.09 Middle image: This was a longer study of about 30/40 mins. The surprise with this one was that I had caught a likeness of my Mum.
    19.8.09 Right image: My Mum sat still for nearly hour on this one for me. I was quite pleased with the top half as I already found my anatomy studies were helping me out. I totally lost it on the hand and legs I think mainly because I don't know the underlying structure yet, so I just couldn't see the forms and how they fit together. I stopped because I knew even with another hour I wouldn't get it and my poor Mum had pins and needles!! Sorry Mum.

Through these images I am beginning to see the power of doing the anatomy studies and how the knowledge begins to stick. I feel motivated to carry on with them so that hopefully in the not to distant future I can do a really good drawing of my Mum.

Thanks
    Do more life drawing! Work on proportions and angles of things. The construction you did of the pepper is great. Also you picked some excellent people to draw from. KEEP IT UP. Only one way to get where you want to go!

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 32