Sketchbook: Middle aged madness: First signs

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle aged madness: First signs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Middle aged madness: First signs

Name:  Mum500px.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  174.2 KB
    16.4.14 Latest progress

Name:  SB_3.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  77.6 KB
    Name:  SB_1.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  68.2 KB
    Name:  SB_2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  54.2 KB

Hi everyone,

Truly inspired by the community here I have decided to try and free my inhibitions. Iím going to let myself go and see what happens. Iím aiming for that fine line between genius and madness. At the moment its total madness. I feel like a dormant volcano erupting. Will it be a pyroclastic surge or a polite after dinner belch.

Since 21.7.09 its been a steady stream of studies from Jack Hamm, Bridgman and Riven Phoenix. Here's just a couple. Feel free to comment and thanks for stopping by.

16.4.14 Update: Well I am pleased to say that I am still drawing and the above portrait is my first finished portrait. To see more of how I am progressing see the last few pages. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by David Ahmad; April 16th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First still life attempt. Struggled with this for an hour and it shows. To put it simply its damn ugly. However trying to think positively I started to look and draw the outline shapes and think more about the volume and perspective. Then got all carried away shading and ended up with another ugly mess. Iím glad I did it though as I now know how much I have to improve.
    Top left of this page is another Hamm head.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good starting dude,

those studies seems good proportioned
    keep on this good track

practice is the key to perfection

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno man, I like the peppers. They remind me of some Euan Uglow sketches of fruit and veg. Which is good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies. Dynamic, and great anatomy! Keep at it, as practice makes perfect (or as close as we can get to perfection anyway )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice clean structure studies you've got there, keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15.8.09 Sketches

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your comments. I didn't expect any yet.

zou - Thanks. I have been trying really hard to memorise the proportions and not just copy what I see. So much to remember though which I guess is where the practice comes in. Loved your SB by the way.
    JoshMurr- Thanks for your kind words and introducing me to Euan Uglow works. I'm always interested in finding other artists to study. Great start with your SB.
    Dr.Blindsy - Cheers. I felt nervous starting this SB. It is the right way to go though, I think, as the support really encourages me to stick at it. I most certainly need to practice as there is so much to learn.
    corza334 - Cheers for the feedback I need all the encouragement I can get and I can see from your SB that you've been working hard.

So work from yesterday:
    1. Bridgman study: the figures on the right are not shaded. I was trying a different approach and making lots of circles trying to literally feel the forms I was drawing.
    2. Bargue study: This is my first one. Found it really challenging and did a lot of erasing and redrawing especially with the eyelid and brow area. I really enjoyed doing this it was thoroughly interesting.

I'm also reading fellow members SB's at the moment. I completed MindCandyMan's first which is an amazing journey. Currently reading panchosimpson http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ghlight=bargue he's making amazing improvement as well. I really like his master studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi

don't bother yourself too much about memorizing. As long as you practice from the good masters (bridgman ...) and with the good method( The CA method ) you'll get all the things in you mind soon.

good luck mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16.8.09 sketches

zou - thanks I'll bear that in mind.

Thought I would try another still life as I really need to improve with these. Turned out to be a load of bananas. (Sorry I just couldn't resist this poor pun hehe!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a really awkward angle so kudos for stepping up to the plate, you've handled the foreshortenening really well!
    Only other thing I can think to say is try to push your values a bit more, and keep up the good work!
    Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

17.8.09 + 18.8.09 Sketches

danlambert - Hey Dan thanks for the kind words. I did get lost with the values and it all started looking mid tone gray so I stopped. Feel inspired to try again though after seeing your rendering. Thanks.

1. Still life study - Garlic. I started this on Monday evening and inspired by seeing danlambert's SB decided to do a bit of a tonal study. As I lost the light I finished up on Tuesday. I was really enjoying doing it and I feel quite pleased with the result although I think maybe some values should still be darker. I have a long way to go.

2. Page of Bridgman studies from my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

19.8.09 Sketches of Mum

Whilst visiting with my parents yesterday evening I had another go at drawing my Mum. After I finished the drawing I looked back at my two previous attempts to see if I had improved. In my madness I have decided to post them, although they are not good, accurate or flattering, I can see improvement and I hope by doing this I will banish my fear and embarrassment. Hopefully this post won't come back to haunt me.

19.7.09 Left image: This was my first attempt and I only spent 10 mins. I remember being scared to put the pencil on the paper and make a mark.
    28.7.09 Middle image: This was a longer study of about 30/40 mins. The surprise with this one was that I had caught a likeness of my Mum.
    19.8.09 Right image: My Mum sat still for nearly hour on this one for me. I was quite pleased with the top half as I already found my anatomy studies were helping me out. I totally lost it on the hand and legs I think mainly because I don't know the underlying structure yet, so I just couldn't see the forms and how they fit together. I stopped because I knew even with another hour I wouldn't get it and my poor Mum had pins and needles!! Sorry Mum.

Through these images I am beginning to see the power of doing the anatomy studies and how the knowledge begins to stick. I feel motivated to carry on with them so that hopefully in the not to distant future I can do a really good drawing of my Mum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do more life drawing! Work on proportions and angles of things. The construction you did of the pepper is great. Also you picked some excellent people to draw from. KEEP IT UP. Only one way to get where you want to go!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, really nice studies. I'm particularly happy to see some Jack Hamm stuff... you don't see much of his stuff in relation to the Loomis/Bridgman/Hogarth stuff here.

The garlic shows you have a real gift for observation. Keep going! I'm intrigued by what I see

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start to your book Marian. The bananas and the garlic are really great. You've made me hungry. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff, especially great still lifes like those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sirkenneth: I really admire your work Ken so I welcome your advice and encouragement. I found a local night school figure drawing class. It starts on 16th Sept so I'm really looking forward to going. On a completely different note, there's an international airshow every other year where I live. I've been lucky enough to have the Vickers Vimy fly right over my house. Its amazing how it stays in the air! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to post

p sage: Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. More Hamm studies to come. In fact if I adopt your work ethic hopefully many more drawings to come.....34 pages done, 100,000,00 to go..hehe.

jigje: Thanks for stopping by and posting. I appreciate your kind words and humour. If you're feeling peckish just let me know and I'll see what tasty morsel I can rustle up.

20.8.09-25.8.09 Sketches

1. Bridgman studies: I found it difficult to work out the block mass in the head on the guy bending down (pictured left). So all the block drawings are me trying to work out the head and body masses. After spending way too long thinking and drawing these I redrew the bending down man (pictured right). Had to laugh as this attempt came out elongated. Although I could now see the blocks in Bridgman's orginal I couldn't draw them!

2.Jack Hamm studies: I love the simple marks Hamm makes to capture these heads. He captures the expression with the minimal amount of lines. I found it hard to replicate.

3. Structure of Man studies: Its been a while since I watched the videos of these so I wanted to see what I could remember with out reference.

4. More Bridgman studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real nice studies, may i suggest trying your own poses or that of reference a bit as well mixed with the construction methods you've learned and are learning, maybe grab some reference pix and analyze how the skeleton figure by Riven would look, or how Bridgman's more boxy 3d construction would work with that pose/bodytype/angle/perspective. I suppose you could do the same thing with Jack Hamms portrait method as well, use your own face or others that you can find and try to use what you've learned to pick that apart as well and see how his mtheod will help you. Sorry so vague here, im not to good with explaining in text lol. anyways great start and hope to see more. Oh and nice still lifes as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Bridgman studies. I work with Burne Hogarth's books as often as I can. I really love his explanations and comparisons.
    In regards to your still life, you did a lovely job demonstrating that it's a pack of bananas and cloves of garlic. But may I suggest trying to really go for the darkest darks? If you don't have a 6b or something close, I would suggest investing in one.
    Otherwise, your studies look great and I'm sure you'll be able to apply this knowledge in your own future works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very lovely studies you've got here. Are you planning any digital, oil, or acrylic pieces?

Sketch back if youd like...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies, more awesome! Great stuff and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Izer: Thanks so much for your good suggestions. I have taken them on board and all ready had a little go. I really appreciate your feedback.

Ephelea: I did think at the time that maybe I should be going darker so I welcome your feedback and suggestions. Thanks for that and your kind words. I think I might have a Burne Hogarth book myself.

adammelo: Thanks for your kind comment. I am indeed hoping to have ago at digital, acrylic and oils. To paint in oils is one of my ambitions. I have previously had a little go at digital but nothing groundbreaking. You can see them on my website www.marianrowling.com. if you're interested.

Dr.Blindsy:
    Thanks for coming back. Your continued support is really appreciated.

26.8.09 - 16.9.09 Sketches

1-5 Bridgman studies.
    6. Very quick still life study.
    7-8. As suggested I started to try to draw the main masses from photos and books.
    9. Another Bridgman study

Last edited by Marian Rowling; October 6th, 2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Uploaded Bridgman image I originally forgot. (Image 9)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawing class - Week 1

I had my first Life Drawing class this Wednesday evening. It was really good and I really enjoyed it. I felt like a real artist as we got to use proper easels and draw with charcoal. Alas as you will see my drawings are not yet those of a real artist. In fact they are really horrible and make me cringe. I am posting them just so I have a reference to see if I'm improving week on week.

This week the teacher let us do our own thing so he could see what level we were at. It was a 2 hour session and the model did about 7 different poses. (16.9.09)

Last edited by Marian Rowling; October 6th, 2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Added class date

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawing class - Week 2

This week was all about tone and focusing on looking for just 3 tones light, medium and dark. After our initial warm up sketches we did a tonal study using torn up paper. The next two exercises we used charcoal. We were not allowed to draw any lines with the charcoal and instead had to use it side on. I did find it really difficult holding the charcoal like this and dropped it several times. Hopefully I'll get more used to this the more I do. Although my results aren't great I really enjoyed this weeks class and it made a lot of sense to me. (23.9.09)

1. Quick warm up sketches
    2. Torn paper tonal study
    3 & 4. Charcoal tonal study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Marian. Your bridgman studies look great as well as your still life. You got an eye there I'm adoring your pencil work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alucid: Thanks for your kind words. I do enjoy the Bridgman studies although sometimes I find them very hard to follow and understand. Hopefully it will all become clearer as I progress.

Life Drawing class - Week 3

Please note the images in this post are not very interesting and difficult to understand. However I have decided to post them so I have a record of each lesson and the points the teacher made.

As usual we began with some quick warm up sketches. Then it was all about comparative measuring. We used a pencil with our arm locked out straight to compare distances and also angles. The first image shows the result of my measuring where we were only allowed to put down dots for the main points like shoulder, thigh, knee etc. It sounds so simple and although I understood what I had to do and why, I found it really difficult to do. The next image is another attempt at measuring and just placing simple marks to indicate position and angle of the pose. It's difficult to see but the model was sitting on a stool. For the final image the model remained in the same pose except about 5 mins into the pose we all had to move round to one of the other students drawings. We had to continue measuring and draw over or correct what they had done. This was a fascinating exercise and a real eye opener. So this is the result of my beginning and my friends end. I didn't get to keep the drawing I drew over but I started measuring at the bottom of the stool and my head ended up in the middle of the other students chest. It was fairly obvious that one of us was way out. Sadly I didn't get to find out who as the other student kept the drawing. I really did struggle this week and found it really hard so I know its an area I must work on to improve. (30.9.09)

1. Quick warm up sketches
    2. Comparative measuring with dots indicating main joints.
    3. Simple marks to get correct measuring and angle of pose
    4. My friend measuring and drawing over my initial marks

Last edited by Marian Rowling; October 6th, 2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added class date

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

17.9.09 - 4.10.09 Sketches

1. Tonal study of some cardboard cubes I made. I can see I have the proportions wrong and yet again as previously suggested I need to go darker with my values.
    2. Trying to draw my Dad while he was asleep. I thought he would keep still but he didn't and I had to keep restarting. I think the closest likeness is the middle right one and the bottom left one.
    3. Drawing of my Mum. I really struggled with this one and it shows as although I have captured a likeness I have given her a horrid expression. I really don't like this drawing. Sorry Mum for deforming you.
    4 - 7. I've been working away from home for the last two weeks so I took my sketchbook and Bridgman for company.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5.10.09 Sketch

This is a William Russell Flint study. I wanted to practice using comparative measuring whilst working upright on the easel with charcoal. I should find time to do more studies like this as I feel its a good way to learn and get more familiar working on an easel and using charcoal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life Drawing class Week 4 (7.10.09)

Last week we were told to bring in six items to use that couldn't be used like pencils or brushes. I couldn't think of much as you can hold almost anything and use it like a pencil or brush. So I took kitchen roll paper, tin foil, sponge, newspaper, plastic and a sweet chestnut still in its prickly case. The whole lesson was spent drawing with what we brought in, or using other students items, with black ink. It was all about mark making and how using different tools can free up your mind and give you a fresh approach to the way you work. It was great fun and I ended up standing in a pool of ink wearing it.
    A point to note was, I began to fill the A1 sheet of paper. All my previous drawings have been much smaller. Towards the end of the lesson I even felt like I was painting, rather than drawing, which was great as it is my long term goal to paint classically in oils.

1. Usual quick warm sketches in charcoal
    2. Top row: plastic, kitchen roll
    bottom row: sponge, tin foil
    3. The teacher felt I was too comfortable so gave me an artificial flower (daisy) and told me to hold it at the very end of the stem and use my left hand. As you can see I had no control at all. It looks like something you might find hanging in the Modern Tate under 'Modern Abstract Madness - inner feelings of artist', I could probably sell it for a fortune!
    4 & 5. Still left hand with flower and starting to tame my tool. I like 4 but lost it again on 5.
    6. Tin foil
    7. Sprig of rosemary. Very interesting to draw with plus it smells lovely.
    8. Sprig of rosemary for line work and sponge for blocking in tone.

Last edited by Marian Rowling; October 12th, 2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Correct spelling mistakes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff!

I think that varying the studies, like you do, will help in continued progress.

Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man!
    Thanks for stopping by my book. Your work is improving! You are doing all the right things. That cube still life is a great thing to do when you start. Makes you really pay attention to form and angles and its most basic point. Some of those ink drawings turned out great also. Sketching is a great time to experiment. I need to get more into the inks again. Remember to keep loose and work into the specifics-and always compare the head to the torso to the legs. If those three parts of the body work together then you will have a solid well proportioned drawing. Its hard to do sometimes but what I do is focus on the head and then go in a figure 8 pattern down to the feet and back up with my eyes blurred. Then I quickly do the same over my drawing. I usually repeat the process until I notice something. You have to want to find it though, or else your brain will get lazy and not find anything. You are doing well, and you are doing the right things. Keep drawing!
    -Also-very jealous of the airshow experience. I have only been to like two. They were the most inspiring and influential days of my childhood! WW1 planes hold a special section of my heart. Glad you can admire them as well!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 160