Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what I'm doing here

Thanks
    I took quite a few years off too and then picked it up again a few years ago. The learning has come faster since I've bee hanging around on this site though! Nice start here. Alot of creativity and a good sense of humor... Keep going!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very respectable that your getting back into drawing after 10 years XD Keep practicing man, you've already got the spirit!

Sketch back if you'd like...

Thanks
    sir one thing i would like to advise and have been told
    many a time in one form or another

Do not draw what you think you see , draw or paint with
    the value shape form line of what you do see

its very easy to fall in to the trap of looking at an (example) apple and painting a red apple shape but in reality the apple may be deformed sitting on a cool dark
    table with blue reflection or any other variety of different things ... so at this point its all about training your eye to see what is actually happening not what you think is happening

hope it made some sense keep up the good fight !
    My Sketchbook

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...156231&page=11

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master

Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement and crits guys.

I'm trying to develop my eye for value a bit more, though for some reason I'm finding my progress a lot slower in that area than any other... any advice.

Also.. quick 7 minute sketch on my lunch break.

Thanks
    looks good zippy one thing i would do is first thing off the bat finding your mid tone darkest darks and lightest lights then sort of sculpting the in-betweens of the painting

keep it up !
    My Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorcron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the new stuff is looking good!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Blindsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks again guys. Double thanks for that advice Zorcron, I'm gonna try to do that on a few tonight and just focus on the heavy darks and lightest lights. Will update when I have something worthwhile as a result.

@Blindsy - Is it weird that after looking through your thread again today I immediately had the desire to go rent Ghostbusters?

doh.. forgot to post the images from after work... just some comic booky stuff from what I a graphic novel I was reading last week and a really bad copy of a Tim Sale piece.
    Last edited by zippy; August 26th, 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot to post images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Thanks again guys. Double thanks for that advice Zorcron, I'm gonna try to do that on a few tonight and just focus on the heavy darks and lightest lights. Will update when I have something worthwhile as a result.

@Blindsy - Is it weird that after looking through your thread again today I immediately had the desire to go rent Ghostbusters?
    Do it! They're ready to believe you!

Thanks
    renting ghostbusters is a good idea and all just what ever you do DO NOT CROSS THE STREAMS !
    My Sketchbook

Thanks

Hey

Thanks for stopping by my forum , glad you like it. I went through you pictures, and I think you should draw more of those posemaniacs 30 sec. poses. It makes your hand more free, and your drawings and lines will become lighter. You can get some space in to your drawings by different thicknes of lines, strong for thinkgs closer to you and light for those far away. Nice work so far hope to see more soon.

Thanks
    Thanks Fregy.

I try to do at least 5 or 6 pages of posemaniacs a week, I should probably do more. I actually doodled a bit after reading your comment and realized just how tight I am when drawing (probably as a result from not drawing hardly at all other than on sticky pads at work for several years) I don't really use my arm at all right now unless I absolutely force it, so I really should work on that. Also noticed that lifting my chair up about 6 inches helps me out a bit with not having to slouch over the paper when I draw, which made it a lot more comfortable but a bit awkward. Anyone else have problems with these things?

Anyhow, won't be able to post this weekend, but here's a couple of quick sketches from last night while looking through comics.

Thanks
    Didn't get to draw much this weekend (12 hours of driving, family everywhere... good stuff). Just a quick attempt at spiderman from an image I found on the web and an attempt at a pose without reference. Will get back to studies and stuff tomorrow.

Thanks
    More really bad drawings. I'm trying to work a bit from memory and imagination every once in a while. I think this will help my speed and eventually my confidence when dealing with character art, we'll see... still need to work on my anatomy a lot though, as you'll be able to tell from these ugly doodles. The one improvement I have seen is that I'm getting a lot better at keeping my pencil on the paper when I want to, and a lot looser with my sketching when I'm just trying to get the basic shapes I want down... other than that, I still have a ways to go...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.