Limiting the base colors in the mixer palette
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Limiting the base colors in the mixer palette

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Limiting the base colors in the mixer palette

(I just realized I accidentally posted this somewhere in the job forum...Arggg...sorry for any trouble that gives a moderator...)

I was wondering if it was possible to restrict the amount of colors that appears along the top of the mixer window if you resize larger than before. I'd like to keep the amount of colors I have to the 8 I already chose to work with, so watching as Painter randomly throws more colors up whenever I make the mixer window larger is always frustrating.

Is there any workaround to this, or am I right in thinking it's just something to deal with?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonzola View Post
    (I just realized I accidentally posted this somewhere in the job forum...Arggg...sorry for any trouble that gives a moderator...)

I was wondering if it was possible to restrict the amount of colors that appears along the top of the mixer window if you resize larger than before. I'd like to keep the amount of colors I have to the 8 I already chose to work with, so watching as Painter randomly throws more colors up whenever I make the mixer window larger is always frustrating.

Is there any workaround to this, or am I right in thinking it's just something to deal with?
    In WinXP Home SP2, Corel Painter 11 with the Windows Hot Fix 1 patch installed, I just did a test and if it works on your system, you'll have a way to control the number of colors or to show only the colors you want to use at the left end of the row of color swatches:

1. To save the Mixer Colors (swatches) you're currently seeing, go to the Mixer Pad menu and choose Save Mixer Colors. I named mine Mixer Swatches_Default.MSW since the color swatches were the ones present when Painter 11 was installed (default swatches).

2. Undock the Mixer Palette then click and drag the lower left corner to enlarge it to its maximum size. Now your preferred colors and all of the extra colors should be displayed across the top of the Mixer Pad.

3. Choose white as the Main Color (or any color that will be easy to distinguish as a color you won't be using).

4. Make sure your preferred 8 colors are at the left end of the row of color swatches.

5. Hold down the Ctrl key (Windows) or Command key (Mac) and, starting with the 9th color swatch (the first one you won't be using) click in each color swatch to change it to white (or whatever color you chose as the "won't be using" color). Now the only colors you see at the left end of the row of color swatches will be the ones you work with plus a long line of white (or other) color swatches you won't be using.

6. In the Mixer palette menu, choose Save Mixer Colors to save your custom mixer colors with a unique name not already used by Painter or by you. I named mine Mixer_Swatches_8_Colors_Limit_Test.MSW

NOTE: I save these kinds of custom files in a special folder named Jin's Extra Folders and Files, located in the Painter 11 application/program folder.

Please let me know if this works for you and which platform and OS version you're using.

Good luck and have a happy weekend!

Jinny

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jin,

I'm matching your OS/app specifications item for item, so the workaround works like a charm, haha!

Hopefully in the future Painter will be able to let you restrict the number of colors up there...At least for me, that'd be a nice feature...

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Good news! Thanks for taking time to let me know your OS version and that my solution worked.

Now we'll need to test it on other OS versions. I'd expect it to work the same since it's a pretty simple procedure but who knows?

Cheers!

Jinny

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Hi,

Good news! Thanks for taking time to let me know your OS version and that my solution worked.

Now we'll need to test it on other OS versions. I'd expect it to work the same since it's a pretty simple procedure but who knows?

Jinny

#
    This works the same on the Mac PPC OSX 10.5.8 Jin. As the main color for the unwanted swatches, I chose RGB 185,185,185 to match the palette background.

David

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    This works the same on the Mac PPC OSX 10.5.8 Jin.
    Thanks, David!

As the main color for the unwanted swatches, I chose RGB 185,185,185 to match the palette background.

David
    Yes, I thought of that later and it does make more sense as using the palette color makes those swatches much less distracting.

Jinny

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.