Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
I have Painter 8. Despite it being great, I find it frustrating to click on the tiny arrow, scroll and select a brush. Often, out of haste, I will select the wrong one. Are there keyboard shortcuts for these brushes? If not, is there a way to convert it to a regular floating palette that displays all the brushes without the need to scroll?
Thanks in advance,
If you haven't already, download the Painter 8.1 patch and install it.
Also download the new Painter 8 User Guide available along with the Painter 8.1 patch at:
After you install the Painter 8.1 patch, read the CorelPainter8UserGuide.pdf to learn how to create and use Custom Palettes:
Open the CorelPainter8UserGuide.pdf and click the Bookmarks tab in the left panel. Click the plus sign to the left of Workspace then click Creating Custom Palettes and you'll see the instructions displayed in the right panel.
Here are the instructions for Uninstalling and reinstalling Painter 8, and installing the Painter 8.1 patch:
1. Move any files you created into a backup folder somewhere outside of the Painter 8 folders.
2. Uninstall Painter 8.
3. Manually delete any remaining Painter 8 folders and files.
5. Install Painter 8 and don't open it even one time.
6. Install the Painter 8.1 patch.
8. Launch Painter 8.1 and check to see that the patch installation worked. To do this, click Help > About Corel Paiinter 8. At the bottom of the splash screen where you see small text, you should see Version 8.1 at the end of the top line of small text.
9. Now drag a brush category or brush variant icon onto the Painter 8.1 screen. That should automatically create a new Custom Palette named Custom 1.
10. To delete the test Custom Palette, click Window > Custom Palettes and choose Organizer from the flyout menu.
11. In the Custom Palette Organizer dialog box, highlight Custom 1 and click the Delete button.
If you see Version 8.1 on the splash screen and were able to create a test Custom Palette, the Painter 8.1 patch should have been installed correctly.
Perfect! What a relief! I'm so thankful, Jin. Your help is much appreciated.
I guess I spoke to soon. Initially, I just grabbed a brush icon, dragged it off and responded to you. However, for me, the patch is very buggy with my Wacom. It sticks when I select menu items and other anomalies. In fact, before I uninstalled it I had this gray square with the number "18" for a pointer. Stranger, the square icon carried over to other applications.
I followed the directions precisely. The only thing that might be questioned is when I installed 8 it asked me if I wanted to register. I said "remind me in 15 days". I have the serial number, but I was afraid if I registered it, it would automatically launch Painter afterwards.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks - Dan
I just tried it again from scratch, with the exception of registering it which was no problem. Nonetheless, it's still very buggy.
I'm guessing there's something in the patch causing this, because my Wacom works fine in PS, Illustrator, Flash, Maya and a host of minor programs. In fact, after uninstalling Painter 8.1 and reinstalling Painter 8, my Wacom worked fine again.
Anyhow, I guess I will settle with the 8 method of selecting brushes.
Thanks for your help,
You might try downloading and installing the latest Wacom driver, if you continue to have sticking problems.
The number 18 you saw was probably due to holding your pen over the top row of numbers on the Wacom tablet.
Thanks, Jin...I will try that.