New to Concept Art..taking critiques!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New to Concept Art..taking critiques!

Alright, I'm still relatively new, and I would like some good critique on a few of my pieces. I have taken both of these to a judge before and never got much of a critique. I've gotten a few pointers that will help me next time I draw (Who knew that there are erasers shaped like pens?), but never got anything that would improve my technique. I think the judge got lazy after looking at so much art.
    So, I bring you my art!

First one is inspired by my own guinea pig. It is hard to do white fur that has some value in it. But I'm more concerned about the anatomy than the coloring. Done with graphite.

The second one is inspired by the song "Desert Rose." The rose is supposed to have a sketchy feel. I think it looks good with that style; the lines vary. Done with felt tip marker.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,634 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Both are so-so, but you need to forget about outlines or making it stand out. Do both again without adding the extremes of dark like you have. White GP on a pale background requires gradients of grey not sticking him in black hole. The shadows on the petals of any flower does not result in sudden dark lines. Re-do and re-post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to load the guinea pig into photoshop and outline where I think improvements can be made and I'll tell you why I think so.

Unexpectedly, I disagree with Black Spot about the gradients of grey. I think a dark value such as what you have now is fine. Its the same concept with portraits - many portrait artists put a darker value next to the face for contrast purposes. With a pure white animal with occassional brown/black (which color?) fur, I think the extra contrast is an asset, if not needed. You could make a light or medium value tonal on the paper and lift the animals shape out, but drawing its shape would be much easier. Also, push the dark further with the guinea pigs eye. I'm doing the photoshop thing now - but I left my tablet at my apartment so you'll have to excuse my poor workmanship with the mouse I have.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The guinea pig has dark and light brown for spots.
    And yes, I'll try to make the dark/light contrast a little less extreme. I'll see what I can do for the guinea pig, at least. I made the light/dark contrast in the rose so extreme because I was afraid that no one would be able to see it.
    Thanks for the critiques ^^ I await that picture, hitnrun.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.