Art: Portraits of myself

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portraits of myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portraits of myself

Name:  slfprtrt1bFinalCRPS.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  413.4 KB
    when i'm working in photopshop/painter, anything goes! its very freeing, although hopefully not too dense

People wake up and have a bad day and donít put any lines down that are worth it. Itís very reinvigorating to take a day off and realize thereís nothing you can screw up in your drawing, thereís nothing to fear but your own laziness. ĖMarko Djurdjevic facelessvision.wordpress.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a few less recent slf portraits

Name:  menmusicSS.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  lineselfportrati.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  485.8 KB

Name:  selffixed.gif
Views: 269
Size:  366.4 KB

People wake up and have a bad day and donít put any lines down that are worth it. Itís very reinvigorating to take a day off and realize thereís nothing you can screw up in your drawing, thereís nothing to fear but your own laziness. ĖMarko Djurdjevic facelessvision.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First real go at Painter, diggin the oil brushes

Name:  selfprtrt4PS.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  286.8 KB
    hey all, this is my first slf prtrt exclusively in painter. it took me a while to figure out the brushes...there's a lot of them! still feel like i'm not being very economic, what brushes do you guys like? any other crits are very wecome

Last edited by orionsnebula; August 17th, 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool. was the painter one from life? if that hand was as rendered as the face is, it's really be something awesome. hands are tough too =)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to *ViRuS* For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thankyou virus! it was done from a picture :-/, mirrors often leave me a little wonky and expressionless due to my concentrated drawing. next one will be from a mirror tho! there's something very important about translating from 3 dimensional space. and hands are tricky but fun, often times they show just as much expression as a face! i will repost soon with a more finalized render, i had just been painting for a while and felt i had to call it. thats one problem i have, getting everything down fast and then working in, i find myself going detail to detail instead of working the whole piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right on man. seems you knew what I was going to say. life will help you understand color and color temp a thousand times more than photos, not to mention the form in a picture is super off compared to life. (camera has one eye, we have two.)
    keep it up. =)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to *ViRuS* For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    painting from a mirror, much different experience. found myself thinking a lot more about structure and light...good times!
    Name:  slfprtM1Ff.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  332.1 KBmes
    any words are appreciated, i think the colors are a bit..burnt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread has been awesome right from the git go. Tha last one I really like man. I got no crits 'cause I got no idea. I just like your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like your learned a bit while doing it.
    proportions look off to me, but i like this more than your others so far. keep it up man =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blarrrrrrrrrg

ok i'll admit i stopped looking at the mirror before i really got the eyes down, i lost interest. i think i'm not 100% comfortable with tablet/screen separation. i'm taking too long to get everything down, compared to my comfort with pencil... don't even get me started with color! i can barely get the tone right
    Name:  slfprtrtM2Fsuck.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  301.8 KB

jigje: thanks a heap! i've always been a drawer, lines my thing, but lets see if i can't get this painting thing figured out
    virus: thankyou, and i agree. floating eyes almost always give me problems, i end up detailing the eye only to realize its not aligned. im gonna try to focus on laying down a good structure and tone shapes, try to be bold and quick. some of the guys on this forum have mastered that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey the last one is pretty cool. Yes it is pretty hard to get used to the wacom/screen separation things, and then if you're doing a self portrait from the mirror, having a wacom/screen/mirror separation is super difficult, I haven't really figured it out for myself either, but your stuff looks good!

Don't worry about taking your time to get stuff down, you're learning while you do it so it is all worthwhile, you will get faster with practice. Yes make sure you're observing constantly, don't put down anything unless you know it's really there.

Otherwise keep it up, these self portraits look pretty awesome!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cdejong: thanks for the encouragement! i can get pretty worked up sometimes, but i can not have fear! tis my enemy. can't say i got the best of this next one, but i can just keep telling myself tomorrow is a new day, and a new work of art
    Name:  slfprtrtM3suckmore.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  118.2 KB
    ps this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one looks better this time! Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the last you've painted. There are already improvement, keep on drawing!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.