About visual memory limits.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: About visual memory limits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

About visual memory limits.

Is it bad to try and study, understand various subjects at a time?
    For example, in the past few months i have been drawing the figure and only the figure. I think it is easier to study one subject at a time, is this true?
    Or can i draw the figure and animals and cars at the same time, like one day i study the figure, the other animals...Does this affect my progression on getting a good visual memory?
    What are your experiences in this matter?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's up to you if you want to do them together or separately, but it is important to study different subjects.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasi View Post
    Is it bad to try and study, understand various subjects at a time?
    For example, in the past few months i have been drawing the figure and only the figure. I think it is easier to study one subject at a time, is this true?
    Or can i draw the figure and animals and cars at the same time, like one day i study the figure, the other animals...Does this affect my progression on getting a good visual memory?
    What are your experiences in this matter?
    You may just be finding yourself in the middle of too much information, which may be just too much memorization.

I find it's hard to memorize details, which is why initially Bridgeman's book hit me like a brick right in the face. Loomis isn't like that as much, his books are more like reference pages where you have to absorb a lot of information in order to make use of it. But it's still an overload of information that might not all make sense from the beginning.

As far as "learning to draw," I feel it's less about memorizing and more about learning how to put things together, and how to solve problems. You also learn drawing by drawing. Certainly you need memorization to internalize anatomies, but memorization without the understanding is pretty useless.

So I would say you have to seek understanding during your study, and then what it is you're memorizing will be of more use to you--and it will be much easier to absorb.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

5. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't understand visual memory very well. I donīt know the potential of it.. because i didn't have any for a long time. Now that i have a little bit of it i was faced with the fact that it might be more productive to study one at a time because like in drawing you have to start studying pencil drawing and next you go and study color (usually it's the best thing to do, or so they say).
    The brain has it's limitations, and i was wandering what have worked best for you.
    Will there be interferences? Or the brain can handle it?

EDIT: didin't saw your post p sage.

I know that you need to understand first. But after understanding if you want to really do a nice study from imagination you need your memory to back you up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at and draw a lot of stuff. You're going to remember what interests you automatically, don't doubt that. All the stuff going into you head will be amalgamated in your imagination, it will combine in ways you can't predict. You'll see possibilities you wouldn't see otherwise.
    The only way to learn your limit is to overdo it.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.