Am I the only one? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You do know that logans run was a fictional movie right?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love doing stuff on my birthday, it's just an excuse to get together with some friends and family (plus getting money on those days while jobless is a god-send). My next birthday is my 21st so I plan on going out drinking with friends.

It's just a good day to relax, take that break you wanted. Some of you really need to chill once and a while.

"Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think birthdays are awesome! but should always be about showing that the person whose birthday it is is valued - not just blind tradition. I enjoy a quiet simple day with close family only - tasty food, a little wine and a good film or two ...chillin...

I almost forgot! - we always make a huge home-made triple-layer choc cake that lasts a week!! lol I'll be 29 this year...

I can appreciate it's not always that easy - all the best

Last edited by The7Artist7; August 13th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's the one time of year that you can get out of washing up and the family has to be civil to you.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm... waaaa cry more newb?

I love birthdays. I dont usually get presents, but i love cards and that people acknowledge my existence ONCE A YEAR and decide to celebrate that! I is special

If you dont wanna celebrate your life, thats cool. But IMO your being selfish. You dont even KNOW what your mom went through to bring you into this world. You can't be positive and have a good time and not be EMO for one day just to make the people around you happy? your a dick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    mass media told me by 21 i'd be rich and famous, so far i've left college twice and been removed from my job... i think the media might be lieing

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOVE birthdays. I don't want presents, I don't want parties, I just LOVE for a reason to have ALL my friends in one spot and have a hell of a good time. On top of that, I feel like everything that happened that day was all a present for me. On my birthday the DOW was up 12 points, all because it was my birthday. Wooo economy!

So if you don't like having your friends over, if you don't like having fun, then happy birthday from Corspufo anyway because I'm sending you birthday CA internet hugz.

Also, you're about to be 20, still at home and receiving an allowance............that's gotta be a present in itself.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to corspufo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrx View Post
    theres more to life than art, stop playing victims.

and for everyone turning 20 soon we should make a seperate thread so we can alll be scared together
    Damn, I'm turning 21 next month and now I feel ooooooold.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Birthdays are cool, even if you only celebrate with your mom. Think it of this way: it's the day that she was the most happy in her life (cause she got you), and she just wants to remember it.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    Only thing I've ever asked for my birthday is a wheelbarrow to carry around all of this awesome.

See, when you're awesome by nature (like I am) every day is your birthday
    Deserves quoting.
    I treat every day like it's awesome...I'm pretty much never negative and that's how I live through life, because life is also awesome.

Birthdays are just more awesome than the regular level of awesomeness...so I like them, too.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    You're not 30 yet lololol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    Only thing I've ever asked for my birthday is a wheelbarrow to carry around all of this awesome.

See, when you're awesome by nature (like I am) every day is your birthday
    Effin' halarious. 5 star post. I think i'll adopt that philosophy and buy myself a wheelbarrow.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hah! It's my sis's birthday on Saturday. She's been 20 three times so far. If I forget to at least send her a card, she'll do heart surgery on me......... and she'll go in through my feet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Katfayheirti For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    best strip ever

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to enjoy celebrating my birthday, but after about six decades of them, the bloom is somewhat off the rose. That was about the time I began to realize the true significance of birthdays.

Whether or not you enjoy celebrating your birthday is a truly personal thing, and you don't need to question yourself on it. In the end, it doesn't matter because we're all dead anyways.

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly ESS View Post
    In the end, it doesn't matter because we're all dead anyways.
    We're only dead if we don't live. Go birthdays!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Turned a quarter of a century this wednesday. 'Twas a lot of fun, just chillin with my girl. Birthdays can be boring, or loads of fun. Its all about what YOU make them into. Don't be a drag.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For anyone who doesn't want gifts, just tell folks to give money to Doctors without Borders. They can't say no to that, and then the money's put to good use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i find the fact that you mentioned 'when' your birthday is kind of vain if you dont like it you dont like it.

but i agree with the other posts telling you to do it for your mother rather than yourself, she's glad she's had you and wants to celebrate that, whys that so horrible.
    i understand you feel bad about your parents giving you money, i hate it too, but the way my mom explained it is, theyre your parents, thats what they are there for, to support you (as well as love and give you yummy home cooked meals). Some kids dont even get that much from their parents. It's good that you want to make it on your own but if they have no problem with it just show how thankful you are to have them there for you.

also i LOVE birthdays, its the one day i win all arguments...because its my birthday damnit....

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Troubadour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate people, but love gatherings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    i

but i agree with the other posts telling you to do it for your mother rather than yourself, she's glad she's had you and wants to celebrate that, whys that so horrible.
    The cognitive loop here is amazing. She had a child and that makes her happy, she wants to celebrate it but the child does not. They go through with the celebration for the sake of the mother even though it leaves the child feeling uncomfortable, but from where then comes the joy of having a child, if not from the joy of the child?

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Look dude, I know you're fresh into university and your head is buzzing with all these new ideas and big words but regurgitating your philosophy textbook does not equal intelligence. You're making a very simple situation into some more-important-than-life philosophical conundrum.

Most young adults (or kids, if you want to be technical), do not like their parents. There in a stage of life where they're trying to separate from the nest and establish their own identity. You do this by trying to sound really smart and treating everything incredibly seriously. Which is cool, but a few years from now you're going to look back and laugh at how anal retentive you sound right now.

Parents just don't understand. They're just selfish Nazi's who want to control you and make your life as miserable as possible. Family doesn't act like family, don't really care about you. True friends are scarce and you just want to be alone. You want to be alone because you're different from everyone around you and no one can relate to your uniqueness. Blah Blah Blah more average teen rambling.

Welcome to awareness. Parent's are far from perfect but they mean well. It doesn't matter if you think birthdays are meaningless, they don't. Cakes, balloons, presents, etc are all symbols. No shit Sherlock. Humans communicate through symbols if you haven't noticed through all of your edumacted learnings. If you don't believe in the symbol, fine, but again, they do. I don't believe in God but I still put up a Christmas tree each year. I still find beauty and meaning in the nativity story.

Doing it for them is something called consideration. They're trying to express their love by celebrating your birth. Some of us do celebrate our births every day. I like to think some people are thankful to still be alive. And in order to show that gratitude they live their life a certain way. If you're asking why if our birthdays are so important then why don't we have cake and balloons everyday, then you're stepping on your own logic. If it happens very often, it loses meaning. You'd rather have meaningless symbols every day than sort-of meaningful symbols once a year? Kind of silly for someone who has such disdain for societal traditions.

Your mind is nothing without your heart. I don't give a fuck if you can find bad logic in everything around you, without emotion you're just another asshole. Don't be an asshole. Factor human emotion into your equations on how people should or shouldn't behave. You're human after all. You can not escape us. Resistance is futile.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    Look dude, I know you're fresh into university and your head is buzzing with all these new ideas and big words but regurgitating your philosophy textbook does not equal intelligence. You're making a very simple situation into some more-important-than-life philosophical conundrum.

Most young adults (or kids, if you want to be technical), do not like their parents. There in a stage of life where they're trying to separate from the nest and establish their own identity. You do this by trying to sound really smart and treating everything incredibly seriously. Which is cool, but a few years from now you're going to look back and laugh at how anal retentive you sound right now.

Parents just don't understand. They're just selfish Nazi's who want to control you and make your life as miserable as possible. Family doesn't act like family, don't really care about you. True friends are scarce and you just want to be alone. You want to be alone because you're different from everyone around you and no one can relate to your uniqueness. Blah Blah Blah more average teen rambling.

Welcome to awareness. Parent's are far from perfect but they mean well. It doesn't matter if you think birthdays are meaningless, they don't. Cakes, balloons, presents, etc are all symbols. No shit Sherlock. Humans communicate through symbols if you haven't noticed through all of your edumacted learnings. If you don't believe in the symbol, fine, but again, they do. I don't believe in God but I still put up a Christmas tree each year. I still find beauty and meaning in the nativity story.

Doing it for them is something called consideration. They're trying to express their love by celebrating your birth. Some of us do celebrate our births every day. I like to think some people are thankful to still be alive. And in order to show that gratitude they live their life a certain way. If you're asking why if our birthdays are so important then why don't we have cake and balloons everyday, then you're stepping on your own logic. If it happens very often, it loses meaning. You'd rather have meaningless symbols every day than sort-of meaningful symbols once a year? Kind of silly for someone who has such disdain for societal traditions.

Your mind is nothing without your heart. I don't give a fuck if you can find bad logic in everything around you, without emotion you're just another asshole. Don't be an asshole. Factor human emotion into your equations on how people should or shouldn't behave. You're human after all. You can not escape us. Resistance is futile.
    Why can't you just be respectful if you want to discuss this? You don't know me, talking out of your ass like that is pointless. I find it interesting to think about how people act and why, this is a thread about how people act and you've been on me twice already trying to pin an attitude on me that I don't have. If you don't want to discuss it, fine, if you do want to discuss it, try a different approach.

(not really)

Dy.laneA

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Live your life however you the hell you want.
    Are you the only one that X? There are over six billion human beings on this planet. You're not the only person who ANYTHINGS.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Off topic slightly but why dont people like getting presents?

i love giving and reciving presents, nothing better than getting somone a really personal gift, its rare that anyone ever does that for me but when they do its a really great feeling? (also getting new stuff for free is great)

so yeah, whats up with that?

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    Why can't you just be respectful if you want to discuss this? You don't know me, talking out of your ass like that is pointless. I find it interesting to think about how people act and why, this is a thread about how people act and you've been on me twice already trying to pin an attitude on me that I don't have. If you don't want to discuss it, fine, if you do want to discuss it, try a different approach.
    Respectful? You're the one who's been implying that people who celebrate birthdays do so because they're sheep.

You're not making sense. There is nothing logical, academic, scientific, or intelligent about reducing human behavior down to an equation. Seeing society as meaningless isn't a point of intellectual superiority. Just because you understand how something works doesn't make it any less meaningful.

You acknowledge that the traditional birthday is a societal tradition that makes use of many symbols to achieve different goals. You assume that nobody else understands this. You can't understand how people could willingly participate in something that is so banal to yourself. Therefore there must be something wrong with us.

Today is my birthday, really. I am about to leave for dinner with my parents. Why? Because I am hungry, I don't spend much time with them, and I know they enjoy spending time with me. Not because it is expected of me, not because society wants me to. I am now 21 years old. I will go to a bar tomorrow and drink with my friends to celebrate. Why? Because I like to drink, because it is a tradition in my country, and because I enjoy spending time with my friends. How is this meaningless if it means something to me? There is no reason other than "I choose to." No ulterior motive, no fetishes, no means to an end.

I have had those birthdays where I didn't want to do anything, last year was one of them. I understand the feeling. I also know that the reason I felt that way was just a temporary thing. I was being all depressed and overly-introspective as many people my age are. It was silly of me to not do anything just because I felt down. I wish my parents or my friends would have come and dragged me out of the house and made me do something. But they respected my wishes as any rational, non-psychologically impaired person would and left me alone. But that's just more time I wasted with myself rather than spending it with those who mattered.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrx View Post
    Off topic slightly but why dont people like getting presents?

i love giving and reciving presents, nothing better than getting somone a really personal gift, its rare that anyone ever does that for me but when they do its a really great feeling? (also getting new stuff for free is great)

so yeah, whats up with that?

I'd like a gift if there was a thought behind it, if it was something that showed that the person who gave it to me knew what I wanted, even if I didn't know it myself. I have never really gotten a gift like that though, the standard thing around here is that you ask people what they want, and whatever they say that is what you get them. But if I need something specific I usually just buy it, why wait for my birthday or Christmas just so that someone else can buy it for me? If you don't come up with anything, you get money, I mean come on really? Money?

Last edited by Crass; August 14th, 2009 at 06:58 PM.

(not really)

Dy.laneA

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,600 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for raining on my parade elwell. for a second i thought my ability to lift my wacom with my mind while balancing on my pinky finger made me special.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's about time someone took you down a peg, Manley!

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.