Sketchbook: "If you like this, will you remember my name?"

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"If you like this, will you remember my name?"

Will you play it again?
    If you like this...?

HELLO THERE. As of now, this is my second sketchbook thread in the works. My first one was fine and dandy, but seeing as how my computer and my scanner are on separate floors, my uploading art was a rare occurrence. However, I recently got myself a pretty little Bamboo Fun and have been drawing like a fiend (in a more, already-on-the-computer fashion, anyway). As such, I've been inspired to spool up another sketchbook and open up my artwork to all of you lovely people in the hopes that you may offer me your thoughts and advice.

A bit about me:
    I just graduated from high school and am currently enrolled in a lame-ass community college as an art student (lieknoway). I'm hoping to get my AA degree in the next year or so (with the help of summer school) and save up money for a semester or two to move out to Chicago where I plan on going to one of the many art schools that have piqued my interest. Ultimately, I hope to get involved in game design.

The drawing in this post is just the one that I feel like showing off at any given time. The chronological sketches start in the next post.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tobuoi; September 23rd, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
    Here is my sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166026 Check it out, yah?

Also, twitter: www.twitter.com/tobuoi

"They don't know I burn...they don't know I burn. I'm waiting for my turn...just waiting for my turn. Time to make it burn...this is how I burn."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first sketch (the first one ever done on my tablet) is a character I did for a friend's webcomic. Her name is Juno.

Then there's a quick sketch of my parrots, Kiwi and Mango, sitting on top of my computer monitor. Of course, I think they'd explode if they held still for more than three seconds, so they were never actually in these positions. What can I say? There are some daisies in a vase behind them, too, so I figured I'd sketch out a daisy or two while I was at it.

Last edited by Tobuoi; August 17th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Here is my sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166026 Check it out, yah?

"They don't know I burn...they don't know I burn. I'm waiting for my turn...just waiting for my turn. Time to make it burn...this is how I burn."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Messing around in Painter with a couple more sketches. These were done based off of this video (for any Utada Hikaru fans who may be interested): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIkLgED7HA I really wanted to capture the energy of the music, particularly in the second drawing, even though it's quick--in a way, I think that portrays what I want it to more so than if I were to go into any real detail. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good digital start Choe,
    i'm lookin for more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More messing around...the first one is a sketch of Starbuck from BSG (any other fans out there???) and the second is some "avatar art" I did for someone on Gaiaonline.com. I'm not sure why, but drawing from observation on the tablet seems a lot more difficult than in real life. Then again, I have spent years working towards having that skill on pen and paper, so...maybe it'll take some getting used to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bwa hahaha... I love your style and the last drawing there made my day

The only thing I might suggest, only really for the first drawing, is that the posture is a tad bit awkward, but for everything else, it seems to be fine, so maybe its just me, or the particular drawing (or possibly both, since I'm at the end of my work day and exhausted)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Blindsy View Post
    Bwa hahaha... I love your style and the last drawing there made my day

The only thing I might suggest, only really for the first drawing, is that the posture is a tad bit awkward, but for everything else, it seems to be fine, so maybe its just me, or the particular drawing (or possibly both, since I'm at the end of my work day and exhausted)
    Thanks for your input. And I've often felt the same way about the first drawing posted, but it doesn't really surprise me. It was literally the first thing I drew when I got my tablet and it was a favor (I mean DEMAND) for a friend, so...I was only so inspired, lol. Still, thanks for the input, again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tobuoi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobuoi View Post
    Thanks for your input. And I've often felt the same way about the first drawing posted, but it doesn't really surprise me. It was literally the first thing I drew when I got my tablet and it was a favor (I mean DEMAND) for a friend, so...I was only so inspired, lol. Still, thanks for the input, again.
    I love demands from friends haha, they tend to add a sense of urgency to any work *lol*.

Its totally no problem. Like I said, you seem to no longer have that problem, I just kinda figured it was a one time deal.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your quick sketches, they have a nice looseness to them. You have a distinct style which is good. I would love to see some of your pen drawings and some studies!

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you do this quick sketches, try to use a bigger brush for your shading. It is better to do one big stroke and get a shaded area than to have many strokes which try to look like a shaded area

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your advice, both of you. What do you mean by "pen drawings", Linguini?

I have some stuff to scan, eventually, but here's a couple more digital sketches, for now. The first is just a guy I made up in my head. My ratio of guy to girl drawings is just sad, so I'm trying to draw more guys. The second sketch is a WIP, but at the moment, I just felt like drawing a dynamic pose. So there you have it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOVE the new works!

That face study is the bee's knees.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Blindsy View Post
    LOVE the new works!

That face study is the bee's knees.
    Lol, I'm glad you think so. Here's the finished version of the last sketch I drew. I have it for sale (starting at $1.95!) so if you're interested, let me know. XDDD It's called "Bubble Gum Samurai"...basically, I felt like drawing something bubble gum blue. The kanji means "violently delicious", along with many other things. If you can read Japanese and you know for a fact that that's not what it means, please let me know, lol.

Last edited by Tobuoi; August 19th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a drawing a did while listening to "Devil Inside" by Utada Hikaru...mostly just further experimenting with different brushes and whatnot. Man, my hand is starting to hurt. The silhouette was all hand-drawn, by the way. I didn't just fill in a random picture to make it look like it.

Last edited by Tobuoi; August 21st, 2009 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some figure drawings (from my head) and another sketch for a friend that I'm just starting up. I should really draw more guys...it's kind of ridiculous how easy it is for me to draw girls as opposed to guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eyes of the girl in the bottom drawing seem way too far down her face, and her torso seems to be leaning in a strange way. You could try posemaniacs for a pose reference and for more figure drawings.

Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep practicing, try looking at andrew loomis if your college isn't already telling you that! I'ma end up in community college too so

Sketch me back if you'd like...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Viral Marketer View Post
    The eyes of the girl in the bottom drawing seem way too far down her face, and her torso seems to be leaning in a strange way. You could try posemaniacs for a pose reference and for more figure drawings.

Keep at it!
    Well, she's obviously supposed to be stylized and not entirely realistic, but...I don't understand. This is the style I'm going for: http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery...3-lebreau.html Is it really that off?

And yes, adamello, I've heard of Andrew Loomis (more specifically his books), and I plan to start up some good, old-fashioned charcoal/graphite studies when school starts up again (I'm gonna have to order all the supplies anyway, so I may as well). For now, however, I'm having great fun coming up with and coloring characters with my tablet. I've always had fun creating characters, but until now, I rarely colored them or went into very much detail...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches (mostly from observation) and an update...I feel like I'm getting a better feel for different brushes and coloring and all that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi.

Maybe a quick crit? On the latest one, it appears the ear is too far forward and the left arm is too short.

Keep drawing.

Last edited by p sage; August 25th, 2009 at 11:46 PM.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... i'm not sure what he means up there about the eyes being "too far down on her face" ... I don't see that at all (granted you ARE taking drawing advice from a chick who's nickname is "Blindsy" so I dunno )

Her torso seems to be at a BIT of a funny angle, but I think its just the way she's leaning... I also don't see how the arm is too short, but it might be a LITTLE.

Ultimately though, great new stuff :3

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff the first painting you did with your tablet truned out well IMO, i fought with mine for a week, put it away & finally got back to it two months later the studies look good, you should post more of those & i like the last character sketch

DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I've got a number of character illustrations in the work, as well as some stuff I need to scan, but for now, here's my Steam avatar and Left 4 Dead tag (self portraits):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while. Despite the fact that I haven't uploaded anything recently, I have been drawing, it's just that most of my creative energies have been going towards my computer graphics class and I'm still determining whether or not I want to upload that stuff or not. Anyway, for now, here's an update on "Blue". I've revamped her outfit as you'll see, for the better, I think. I'm gonna change the position of her left arm, but I mostly just wanted to sketch it out to show my non-paying "patron" what I had in mind for the glove.

Keepin' this thing alive!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff that we did a couple weeks ago at the beginning of my computer graphics class. Our goal was to establish three different perspectives/compositions: symmetrical, asymmetrical, and radial. Unfortunately, however, the radial file type isn't correct, so I'll have to upload that next time. All done free-hand with the stupid mouse. Not really typical sketchbook material, but it gave me a chance to mess around and get to know Photoshop better. I WILL scan some pencil/pen and paper drawings, eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally finished Blue. I really need to do some more sketches on my computer. I've got some sketches to upload from an actual sketchbook, but scanning shit in is such a pain in the ass. Oh, life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the feel of some of your work but if you are Intending to apply to artschools they tend to look for Realism and fine art abstract work thinking through problems with your work(from my experience )i also just took a tour and portfolio review at SAIC in chicago i was very impressed

please keep posting i would shoot for some still life and figures with charcoal before moving to color

My Sketchbook

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...156231&page=11

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.