Some feedback please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some feedback please

I've just come back from a pretty long break(over 4 years) from art, and would really appreciate some feedback on what strengths I may possess along with major criticism.

I spent the past couple weeks really reading up on improving my coloring, composition and techniques in the hopes I can break out of my mediocre skill level and hopefully move towards decent and above.

These are a couple practice pieces I did just recently, trying to work on blending as well as utilizing light sources. I had never really did any coloring before, so what you see here I pretty much just learned so the works are pretty much a learn on the fly and hope it works out type of thing, lol.

First one I used for a recent CHOW, felt to break my rust and attempt actually making a coloring effort would help me see where I was at.

Second pic was just a doodle I did on some paper and decided to use it as a practice piece as I felt my blending and color use could use the invested time.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, first off welcome back to the art world. It is not always easy to get back into the saddle and it is not always like riding a bike.

For rendering, everything here is all one texture and overly smooth and unless you are liquid metal that is not how things are. There are lots of threads on this site about how to do textures as well as in books. I would advise not doing overlay textures but do them by hand. It also looks like you are only using at most only two type of brushes, a soft and a hard edge, which I think is what giving you this overall smoothed out look. Using different brushes for different materials will help you gain those textures. I have been using brushes The brushes from adonihs and I really like them.

Color wise you look like you are using very little variation and variation is the spice of life and what it looks like. Subtle changes in color on a surface will make it look more believable. I would also suggest using less bold colors as right now you are in the neon range.

Lastly you need a lot of work on proportions but it does look you have some understanding of anatomy. Don't get discouraged though because you show a lot of talent and imagination.

Hope that helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ito Saith Webb View Post
    OK, first off welcome back to the art world. It is not always easy to get back into the saddle and it is not always like riding a bike.

For rendering, everything here is all one texture and overly smooth and unless you are liquid metal that is not how things are. There are lots of threads on this site about how to do textures as well as in books. I would advise not doing overlay textures but do them by hand. It also looks like you are only using at most only two type of brushes, a soft and a hard edge, which I think is what giving you this overall smoothed out look. Using different brushes for different materials will help you gain those textures. I have been using brushes The brushes from adonihs and I really like them.

Color wise you look like you are using very little variation and variation is the spice of life and what it looks like. Subtle changes in color on a surface will make it look more believable. I would also suggest using less bold colors as right now you are in the neon range.

Lastly you need a lot of work on proportions but it does look you have some understanding of anatomy. Don't get discouraged though because you show a lot of talent and imagination.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the feedback!

You are right I didn't use much variety in brushes, all 19 hard. No soft brushes at all, so the smoothness is probably due to just over-working the pieces.

And I also have the Adonhis brush set, not really experienced with panting/coloring yet so pretty much stuck to the old #19 until I get more confident in other brushes.

I know I have to work alot on my colors, still pretty un-sure on how it works as I have zero background in painting or coloring, so my experiences are very limited there.

My proportion and anatomy issues are mainly just bad habits. I grew up wanting to be a comic book artist, so my "style" is less know how and far more just bad habits that I need to break. I am quite decent at proportions and anatomy...but need to remind myself to stop over-exaggerating muscles so much.

Thank you again for the feedback, I learned alot and see where I need to improve and work on =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.