Art: Renaissance drawing media

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Renaissance drawing media

hey guys any of you know of any renaissance drawing media excluding chalks and silverpoint? seems that the red chalks have been all used up, and silverpoint is just really tidious..... im just looking to use it for like sketching, but i dont really want to use pencil, and the pens i like are pretty expensive... so if any of you know of any of these, itd be much appreciated to share! thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Conté crayons were developed as a substitute for natural red and black chalk, give them a try.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're kind of at odds here, art materials have definitely evolved with ease of use in mind, so if you want to use materials that artists of the renaissance used, then you should be willing to cope with the drawbacks such as the tediousness you proclaim silverpoint has. Now if you're just looking for materials to have the renaissance look, its more the way you use your media than what media you're using.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys

ive tried conte crayons, not extensively, but they were pretty difficult to use for me... theyr really pastelly and what not, i think they make pencils too tho, so i was going to give those a shot when i get to the art store..

yea, ive actually tried to cope with the drawbacks of silverpoint.... but about a week or so into a project i knew id never use it for that again..... and it was very clear to me why they used it the way they did, great for detail, impossible to make a mark thicker than a strand of hair..... haha yea tahts another thing that i figured; i saw a video on youtube of someone who said they were using prismacolor verithins and got a pretty damn close similarity to the look of red chalk, and of course he could get detail with pencil, but again, have to get to the store! haha Thanks for the help guys

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.