PORTFOLIO DEVELOPMENT -- JOHN MUELLER and EL CORO! Closed
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PORTFOLIO DEVELOPMENT -- JOHN MUELLER and EL CORO! Closed

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,572 Times in 2,181 Posts
    Follows
    Following

PORTFOLIO DEVELOPMENT -- JOHN MUELLER and EL CORO! Closed

First, much thanks to John for his support of the CA community. John was one of the first people I went to when I had the idea to form Massive Black. His advice was absolutely invaluable as there are few who know the business better than he does...and his artistic talent is world class. He has been both a friend and a client and a supporter of our cause here. I can honestly say I would not be where I am today without the advice and support of Mr. Mueller. With that in mind, I went to him to with the idea of doing something to help CA and keep this program moving forward. He is excited to help.

John Mueller is an acclaimed Art Director for the video gaming industry, his career spans 18 years during which he's worked for such studios as Interplay, Ritual Entertainment, Epic Games, NC Soft, and is currently Art Director at Vigil games on the upcoming Warhammer 40,000 MMO for THQ. Prior to working in video games he published the creator owned Oink saga for Kitchen Sink Press and spent many years doing freelance illustration for the entertainment industry.

He believes in concept development and strong idea development and since he has hired at major publishers, built his own game development studio and teams, and worked in multiple fields I can say that you will find the information you need about what you can do to your portfolio to climb the ladder to success.

When- This Saturday August 15th 1pm-5pm CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME
    Where- Right here on conceptart.org in the streaming forums
    How and How much: 95 USD - http://www.conceptartstore.com/podeforenin.html
    Why: Because you want personal time with one of the top art directors in the field, as you ask questions about his presentation on targeted portfolio development and other important presentation matters....including even more goodies being built on CA!

John's clients include:

Activision
    Ubisoft
    NCSoft
    THQ
    Interplay Productions
    Ritual Entertainment
    Id Software
    Epic Games
    NCSoft and
    id software
    DC Comics
    Kitchen Sink Press
    Pocket Books
    and
    Wizards of the Coast

John is as educated as it gets when it comes to this stuff and he will be able to tell you exactly what you need to have in your portfolios. He will be analyzing works, showcasing great samples, and sharing the info to help you get the career you want, get the job you wish for, or to get out of your current dead end gig and make your art life the way you want it.

We hope that you can make it. It is a rare thing to have an instructor like John join us and so please show him your support.

As is always the case, CA's proceeds are going to support the continued development of our technology that YOU will be able to use for free as well as many services that will help improve the lives of artists around the world, including your own.

John's image samples are in the reply below.

FREE STUFF! for those joining us for the live streaming course on Saturday!!!

For those who sign up for tomorrow's course, we have put together a package of goodies that will make it far more than worth your while. The course alone is worth the time but in the spirit of doing what I can to help raise money for the site tech, Coro and I put our heads together for this one time offer.

1. Access to the live streaming presentation with Mr. Mueller of course!
    2. Your choice of one of the four CA downloads below!
    a. The Business of Art Vol. 1: NDA's, Non-Compete's and Negotiation!
    b. Zhanglu's Caucasian Female Portraits
    c. El Coro's Gun demo part 1
    d. El Coro's Pre-visualization download
    3. A special guest appearance to Mueller's live course by El Coro, who has agreed to spend some of his Saturday helping you all with the advice you need on your portfolios, free of charge!

Those who have already signed up will get this too!!!

Hope you can make it. It is going to be a good one!!!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165946 is the link with more info!

Thanks for the support everyone!

Jason

Last edited by Jason Manley; August 14th, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought you might want to see some of John's stuff. Here are a few goodies.

OINK:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Illustration:

Marketing and Packaging

id software:

Concept

Last edited by Jason Manley; August 11th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be there with bells on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dumb question, but can anyone tell me what time this will be in the UK please?

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dmarshallarts: I think that's around 7pm in the UK, but you might want to check that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, there goes my money I saved up for the workshop, haha.
    bittersweet

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    This i Shit Hot! Not sure if I should continue with these. Last one was 4 to 6 hours long for $95. A dvd from the other company costs about $20 cheaper but with only 2 hours. From what I've learned these workshops are showing me the FOUNDATIONS and REAL WORLD knowledge I need and lack. I've gotten more than I expected. Sure there are a few technical issues and the classes can be a little too drawn out, but for what is shown is amazing. And by drawn out I only mean it just takes them sometime to get things rolling because of technical difficulties; which will be resolved the more they learn of the systems. They still give you 4 hours or more of proper planned classes and also question and answer time.

A lot of you might know me on facebook now because of the business workshop! *waves to those from facebook*

I lack a lot of confidence when it comes to portfolios and what makes a good portfolio. I think I can break my bank for this last one. Its essential, at least for me.

BTW mr.Mueller your art is grizzly awesome!

dmarshallarts: The lessons are planned for 7pm but usually begin at 8pm to 8:30pm, just so that everyone can make it on time and the issues are resolved. Nothing major, just have a beverage and a smoke (if you do, i don't filthy habit).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Workshop on Saturday

Hey all,

Thanks to Jason for setting this up, and I can't say how excited I was by the opportunity to spend an afternoon with the CA community. I've hired hundreds of artists, and I can say from experience, there are definitely very simple things you can do to improve your chances of getting noticed and landing the gigs you want. I have some practical advice for the artist just beginning their career, and the veteran who is trying to land that choice gig that's eluded them. This is a great opportunity to share my experience with the CA community in this exciting, innovative, and interactive forum!

The first paying job I ever had as an artist was 18 years ago doing covers for DC Comics Swamp Thing. I had no professional experience, I was 20 years old, I was competing against seasoned illustrators. I got that job because I spent 30 minutes on the phone with artist Kent Williams. He gave me some great advice on getting my foot in the door and pointed me in the right direction.

I look forward to sharing what I've learned about this business over the past 18 years with you guys this Saturday!

JM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    dmarshallarts: I think that's around 7pm in the UK, but you might want to check that.
    It's 6pm. The UK doesn't have DST (right). That makes it two hours less then here in the Netherlands.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LostFayth View Post
    It's 6pm. The UK doesn't have DST (right). That makes it two hours less then here in the Netherlands.
    Take it from someone whose actually in the UK and has been to the past two classes. Its 7pm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops, my bad. Sorry Yoitisi and Rist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow looking forward to this, and also my portfolio is sort of a fail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Unid,

Your portfolio link took me to DeviantArt?? WTH?

The site is such a pain in the ass to navigate, rule #1 time is valuable, respect that Art Directors inboxs can look like a heaping mess of problems they need to solve. I have time to maybe look at 2-3 portfolios a week. I liked the 3 pieces I saw before someone showed up in my door needing my attention...sitting right above your work was an awsome advert for H&R Block.

It was painfully slow to navigate the site, click through ad banners...just not the way you want to make a first impression. Chances are normally I wouldn't be back, but better organized, with a clearer focus there is no reason you shouldn't be in demand.

I should go to www.unidcolor.com and see a nice clean presentation of only your best pieces...you even have a catchy handle, use it!

Environment work is great. I would suggest getting rid of the character stuff it's not your strong point. Work on that in your own time, but only show what you think people will pay you to paint. I wouldn't hire you for characters, but show me more environments!! Good environment artists are worth their weight in gold. I would add some specifc pieces to really make your work shine but you have a great foundation to build on.

Can I use your portfolio in my talk on Saturday?

JM

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi John!

Yeh sure feel free to use it if you want

My deviantart has just been a place I been uploading pictures just to get some feedback on, im not sure why I have it as portfolio link, its pretty stupid of me, its not really a porfolio.

But yeh since I decided to become an artist around a year ago, I still dont feel like I have learned all the basics I want to before I try land some jobs,

I have been planning to get my own site for my porfolio, once I become abit more confident with myself and my work,
    But right now im just learning as mutch as I can about anything, thats why im here on Ca, when stuff like this comes around!

But yeh I guess the closest thing I currently have to a porfolio is this,
    http://unidcolor.cgsociety.org/gallery/

But thanks alot for your post, and thanks for doing this stream for us!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A rather stupid question ^^ ;; but.... where do I go/what do I do to pay tuition for this class?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptartstore.com/podeforenin.html

El Tuition Shop is UP! Thanks for the support you guys. We still have a long way to go to cover all the costs of the tech so SUPER SUPER THANKS to John for the support and helping us reach this goal...and quadruple super thanks to you all for joining us. CA and the new programs we have in store would not be possible without this!

JM

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=165997

John just posted his most recent image from OINK. A worthy click folks..check it!!

JM

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am looking forward to this, portfolio wise I need much improvement and advise. Coming from John Miller I think it will help me loads.

Thanks so much Jason for putting up these classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portofolio Development Session

I would like to take this session, but I don't see a way to pay for it. Can you please direct me to the link to pay for it? Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Color theory, then composition and now this...
    THIS are topics you really want to have on a DVD, the otehr tutorials about how different artist work on their pics are nice too, but this are the really important topics.

So pleaaaase, form a DVD too, even if it costs 90 bucks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds fantastic I will definitely join in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great idea. I am a few steps behind, I'm not gonna be able to make it live on this one, I still have to study the lecture on pricing etc, then I have to get on with the composition one.

I have a silly question, will the lecture cover portfolio creation in general or will it be geared more towards the gaming industry? Not, that it's a bad thing, I am just wondering if it's 100% usefull for those of us who aren't interested in working in that industry.

Oh and, in case anyone is still having seconds thoughts about these lectures, don't. They are probably one of the few things left on this world worth alot more than their price tag.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FREE STUFF! for those joining us for the live streaming course on Saturday!!!
    Hey All,

For those who sign up for tomorrow's course, we have put together a package of goodies that will make it far more than worth your while. The course alone is worth the time but in the spirit of doing what I can to help raise money for the site tech, Coro and I put our heads together for this one time offer.

1. Access to the live streaming presentation with Mr. Mueller of course!
    2. Your choice of one of the four CA downloads below!
    a. The Business of Art Vol. 1: NDA's, Non-Compete's and Negotiation!
    b. Zhanglu's Caucasian Female Portraits
    c. El Coro's Gun demo part 1
    d. El Coro's Pre-visualization download
    3. A special guest appearance to Mueller's live course by El Coro, who has agreed to spend some of his Saturday helping you all with the advice you need on your portfolios, free of charge!

Those who have already signed up will get this too!!!

Hope you can make it. It is going to be a good one!!!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165946 is the link with more info!

Thanks for the support everyone!

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How can I refuse such an offer! I'm in

Monkeydominator is offline Doesn't know about your pencil Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always thought eating was overrated anyway...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But if you join before the freebies were included in the prize package you also get bragging rights that you got in on this just for the sake of learning!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everyone who attends gets the goodies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quit smoking pot and cigarettes, sold some plasma (had to lie about the pot bit), AND convinced Mom to cover half the cost so I could afford this. In case you weren't able to read between the lines, it looks like I'll be going with door number one: The Business of Art vol 1 when it comes to that.

Looking forward to it, and I might even be awake and caffeinated by 3:00 PST...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I've never signed up for one of these lectures, so I'm not sure how they work exactly, but if you can't be on at the time of the class, is there some sort of recorded feed you can watch later or something? I have to work from 9:00 to 5:00 tomorrow, but I really, really want to hear what kind of advice and knowledge he's got to share.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2