Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, this afternoon we got a team of Dutch artists together. Our team hasn't been put on the official list yet but we couldn't wait to get started. After all, since we are joining late, we have quite a bit of catching up to do!
    So lets get started!

Team members:
    IceMoon
    Arthemis IX
    Muninn
    Our approach:
    We scheduled a brainstorm session this evening which turned out to be a really productive one. The whole thing was in Dutch but I'll give a quick sum up of the main progress we've booked.

Pretty early in the conversation we decided we would go for a background story approach. We all liked the idea of a setting with restrictions which would influence the behavior and appearance of our characters.
    From there on we decided what important classes would exist in our setting and how they would function. What their motivations would be. This will hopefully also help us make our designs seem more a unity.

We consider designing 1 version of the character each, then pass it on and let an other team member do its evil/good alter ego.

Brainstorm results:

The setting:
    Basically we started laying down some idea's for a setting. We came up with this underground world where the main resource would be a glowing type of stone which provided their villages and equipment from scarce light. It would allow them to grow plants and maintain a steady oxygen level in their tunnels.We also liked how this kind of setting would allow us to tweak the exterior of the fantasy races a little bit. We could for instance consider making an albino orc or making all our characters to be close to blind and thus relying more on other senses(maybe except the seeker ). It also allowed us to come up with lots of fun gimmicks for them to have. Glowy rock lanterns. Gass masks for toxic area's. Glowy-rock powered devices that allowed them to communicate over long distance by Morse code like flashes. FUN!
    And on top of all that, it gives us a good motivation to think about what our characters would wear based on the kind of resources they would own. Basically they would have a lot of metal and rock, gems gold and so on is more plentiful and thus less valuable. On the other hand they wouldn't use much wood, have less fabric and their leather would most likely be from stranger types of underground animals with maybe strange colors, patterns or scales e.d..

The characters:
    Also we wanted the characters to be individuals in a bigger whole. Not just any collection of adventurers but rather a tactical team with a specific purpose. The characters should compliment each others skills. Generally, we do want the archetypes in the characters but different and strongly motivated!

All this lead us to picking the following classes.

The seeker:
    This guy/girl knows her way around in the tunnels like no other class. They are also master in finding the glowy rocks. They have better vision than others (or maybe none at all and superb hearing?).. either way, this one is speedy, stealthy and all about the senses.

The Digger:
    The brute force in the group. He/she is the one to get the valuable glowies out of the hard earth. Also, you wouldn't want to mess with this guy/girl. The diggers task is also to defend the team if needed.

The engineer:
    The engineer makes sure none of the tunnels collapse. He adjust and strengthens tunnels if needed or purposely attacks the weak points, making enemy tunnels collapse. You could say he/she is the brain of the team. He/she is also the one that provides the team with glowy-rock gimmicks.

Races are still open. (which ever fits the character best)

A Memorable quote (roughly translated). Us deciding on what resource they would be hunting for:

[...]
    IceMoon:
    Hmm.. the evil guys need light
    Sounds contradictory
    Arthemis:
    No way, underground light is power!
    Muninn:
    I guess that makes sense, like oxygen is for us.
    Arthemis:
    Exactly
    IceMoon:
    Talking about oxygen, it's probable not plentiful down there either.
    Muninn:
    Harvesting oxygen? But oxygen is so hard to draw

(it turned out to be a good idea after all, lead us to the oxygen masks and lights>plants>oxygen logic )
    Team: if I missed anything. lemme know ^_^.

Next up, mood boards, reference/inspiration stuff and of course sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Ok so Im going for the "driller" character. Since its a tough job, and a tank unit I chose him to be a orc. Since they rarely see daylight, he will be an albino orc. He caries a very heavy drill with him. He can fight as well as dig tunnels. Here are some thumbs:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, the seeker. She is tall and slender, and finds her way through the caves with her huge eyes that catch every little sparkle of light, and her perfect hearing. She moves around in the dark like a little moth, and her designs are based on this creature!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start I'm gonna upload my stuff asap as well..

I love the moth approach on the seeker and amongst the silhouettes of the digger are some really strong ones!

Gonna be a little short in time but we'll try our bestest best

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's some inspiration

I guess you can't really call them moodboards even though I did anyway. Might seem a random mess put together, but I use them more like a collection of idea's to keep the muse going rather than actually setting a direction or mood.
    So there might be just one tiny detail in a picture I selected that I considered either inspiring or visually interesting. Doesn't have to be a direct link to what were making, I usually go for the more indirect reference. The miner "moodboard" is a bit more obvious maybe

Images where taken from Google/DA, so credits go to various artists/photographers. Hope none of them mind me posting their work in this topic .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some concept quickies.

Tried to make him look like a walking underground fantasy tool shop :p. Also wanted to limit the use of fabric on him as much as I could and I kinda liked the idea of a 'helmet/shoulder piece in one' kind of armor. Dunno if I'm going to stick with this guy tho. Maybe if I still like it tomorrow morning .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I spilled orange juice over my wacom!!! Now the lower half of the tablet doesn't respond anymore! NO I definitely won;t make the deadline now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow that sucks! now what? 0-0

well, that we wouldn't make the deadline isn't a big surprise I guess. We started a week after the chow started, the two of you where graduating this month and I went surfing the last week ... so yeah haha.

We all where uber enthusiast tho! so expect more from us next team challenge

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.