P.O.W.! Challenge 28, 29, 30--The Funnies!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts

P.O.W.! Challenge 28, 29, 30--The Funnies!

Greetings, Kiddies! Welcome to Challenge 28.

...actually it's Challenges 28, 29, and 30. We're going to try something a bit different this time out, and it's definitely not a comic BOOK page.

We're doin' the FUNNIES!

Over the next six weeks, we will produce 15 newspaper comic strips, five each on a separate topic/genre, due in two week increments in order.

The newspaper strips have been going through many changes over the last 20 years, most of them to the bad, but the dedicated idiots that produce them just keep on embarrassing themselves anyway. Now it's time for you guys to get a taste of what they have to put up with.

There are different types of approaches in story telling, most of which you can identify from a quick scan through your local newspaper funnie pages...

1. The long story, which runs from one strip to the next, often without an actual "punchline" at the end of each individual day's strip. "Mary Worth," "Spiderman," and "For Better or Worse" are good examples.

2. The Continuous gag strip, which is set in one specific world but each individual day's strip is a stand-alone gag panel, like "Dilbert," Zits," "Peanuts," and "Get Fuzzy."

3. The single gag strip, which usually has each day's strip as a self-contained gag, often with no relation in time or space with the strips before or after. Often, there are no permanent characters from strip to strip, though many have recurring characters. "Non Sequitur," "Frank & Ernst," and the box-panel-strips "Bizzaro," "Real Life Adventures," and "Pluggers."

NOTE: You can use any of these approaches/formats above for any of the topics below.

Topic A: Five Strips--Humor/Bizzare (basically anything from slapstick to the sublime to totally off the wall, as long as it's funny).

Deadline: Sunday, August 23, 2009

Topic B: Five Strips--Adventure/Drama (western, cop, private eye, military, medical, etc. The characters and story-line should be recognizable and "expected" from day to day, and can be humorous if desired, though the genre is the important thing).

Deadline: Sunday, September 6, 2009

Topic C: Science fiction/Horror (Must be "spacey" or contain various examples of the "undead" or "unknown." These can also be humorous if you wish.

Deadline: Sunday, September 27, 2009 (Extended one week)

Any entry in before it's no longer 11:59 pm anywhere in the world makes it.

Mechanical Specifications:

BLACK & WHITE ART ONLY! (Can include some basic gray values, but it's best to keep it simple.) Art must be horizontal and at least partially boxed (have a physical rule around it of some sort).

Reproduction/AND POSTING SIZE: 5-1/2" x 2" (14cm x 5cm)

If you want to WORK at 150% (half up) in size: 8-1/4" x 3" (21cm x 7.5)

If you want to WORK at 200% (twice up) in size: 11" x 4" (28cm x 10cm)

These last two will obviously be reduced to the first size before posting.

Comic strips are very small, so simplicity in both art and approach are a necessary evil, as well as readable text. For this reason, it's not recommended for novices to work above 200% because art that's too fine or detailed will either disappear or turn to mud. Text must be readable, so be extra careful how blabby your characters or the narrator are.

The topics must be done in the order I have them above, and each set of five strips turned in by THAT deadline. Otherwise, it's wide open. The strip dimensions do NOT include any title you may wish--these are usually placed at the top of the strip at the left, and your name is at the upper right a bit smaller, both OUTSIDE the limiting box.

I'd suggest taking a look through your local funny page section of your newspaper to get a feel for how the "pros" do things. Good Luck. Any questions, post 'em here and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Last edited by Ilaekae; September 9th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    bloody brilliant, kitty!!!

just what i needed: a new bag.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to guggemmaneuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'll just provide real life stories of my far-off home world.
    Name:  Clown World 1 wip0001.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  61.6 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Yet another CA activity I have no choice but to take part it in... This will definitely be fun! And will give me an excuse to break out the Calvin & Hobbes yet again...

One question: How many strips for Topic C?

Thanks
    Welcome aboard. Looks like it's also five, to me.
    Over the next six weeks, we will produce 15 newspaper comic strips, five each on a separate topic/genre, due in two week increments in order.
    After I finish framing the fine art piece I have to deliver to a show this weekend, I hope actually to place some "art" in the box I made so far. I thought up my second scenario and I have high hopes it will be a little less dry than the first one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,158 Times in 1,706 Posts

A Moment of Silence

Always wanted to try a realllllly deadpan strip and see if I can get non-expressions to read differently depending on what is said...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those are cool. I like the third one and the fifth one the best.
    Name:  clown world 10001.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  48.6 KB
    Dammit! The GIMP lied to me about size. I'll fix this before deadline.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

strip dimensions

Some funnies, such as Dennis the Menace, Family Circus, the Far Side (which is the gospel of humor), Ziggy, and I believe even Bizarro, are more of a large square. A one panel type of thing. Your required dimensions don't take this into account.

So, is this cool? Probably more for the first five strips than the other ones.

See attached example:

DOODLING is like Crack!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ifman1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great idea for a POW! I had no idea how hard it must be for comic strip creators to work in so small a space... no wonder Bill Watterson was fed up. But it's still fun to do!

Anyway, I figured I'd do the comics based on my friend's adventures working in a petshop. So here's the character design and comic #1...

Kev - I like your concept - it reminds me a bit of this website: http://penultimate-panel.blogspot.com/

Arish in the Mirror - Self-Portrait page

Sketchbook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm talkin' road rage in little bitty clown cars. Look both ways when you cross the street.
    Name:  clown world 2 wip0001.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  39.6 KB

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Comic #2 - final size and large version - plus a large version of comic #1. And by "large," I mean a size where you can actually see something.

Sketchbook

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Damn! Arish gonna whoop some ass!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey all ,

i ve been alurker here for a long time but i thought i d give this one a try

since these are my first comics, please crit the hell out of them.
    hope that after resize someone can still read the text :p

EDIT: i just came home from vacation and i m posting these now. i know i ve passed the deadline, so they won t matter for the polls.
    anyway, i m mostly posting them for crits

@arish: thank you very much the critique. I ve tried to improve my lines in the last 3 but i m not sure it s any much better

Last edited by kyurai; August 27th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
    Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Sketchbook Support Group Lite :
    PKHayden Purrdey Vardia beejazz
    If anyone wants to join send me a PM

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kyurai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ifman, I somehow missed your question. Sorry for that.

I was going to keep that panel style for a later challenge, but if it helps you out, go ahead and do it. Just make sure that all five entries are done that way. The other two entries of five each can be the same style or in the horizontal format if you wish. This goes for everyone else, too, though the horizontal format should be tried for at least once by anyone serious about comics--it's a hell of a lot harder to make sure it's readable.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanks Arttourney!

Kyurai - your comic is off to a promising start - you can tell who's who right away and what their personalities are like, which is one of the most important things in a comic. I guess my main suggestion would be to push it a bit farther to make it more polished - little things like straightening it out so it's horizontal and not crooked, printing the text more neatly and applying tones evenly (grey scribbles in the bg is distracting). Also - engagement rings are usually sparkly, so you might want to make it lighter than the surrounding area, not darker (unless it's teh Evil Ring of Doom, hehe). But yes, I can read your text even at the small size and I like what you've done so far - looking forward to seeing the rest

Comic #3 - small and large version.

Last edited by Arish; August 14th, 2009 at 01:46 PM.

Sketchbook

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was going to keep that panel style for a later challenge, but if it helps you out, go ahead and do it. Just make sure that all five entries are done that way. The other two entries of five each can be the same style or in the horizontal format if you wish. This goes for everyone else, too, though the horizontal format should be tried for at least once by anyone serious about comics--it's a hell of a lot harder to make sure it's readable.
    I don't want to ruin any future topics, so I'll suffer through the long strip. I usually don't finish anyway, so accomodating me should never be any kind of priority. Thanks for the response though.

DOODLING is like Crack!

Thanks

Yeah, I'm back, baby!!!

Sorry, I've been gone so long, been a bit busy with work.

Anyways, Here's my first comic strip. It's a bit 'specific', really. Basicaly, it sums up how I've felt about the constant delays in the release date for Rock Band 2: Wii here in the UK...

And here's the second:

And the third:

Here's the fourth:

And here's the final one:

Last edited by Kmadden2004; August 23rd, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
    Kieran Madden:Official Site

Click here for my all-new, super-happy DeviantArt page.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kmadden2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been out of the comic stripping game for a long time so this competition is a good way for me to get back into it. So here's mine. I'm not 100% satisfied with the inking or wording, but good start for me. Anyway, this comic strip is about this little fella named Snorky...he's sort of an oddball creature that can swim, fly, and many other things.

Title and comic strip #1...more to follow!

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

34. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    small,lazy contribution

Last edited by VeSeljak; August 23rd, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VeSeljak For This Useful Post:

Thanks

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

40. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    more Snorky...enjoy!

-Mike Cross

-Also on FB and Twitter

42. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like those characters so far, Mad Cross. The pelican has a ton of potential. I know of another "Snorky" character from 70s TV, but then again I know of a punk band called "The Zimbo Chimps," so I got a lot of room to talk.

Ilaekae: Do we start putting our POW 29 dramas in this thread or will there be another thread?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice job, everyone! The poll will be up late tonight because it will take me a while to gather and post.

As of now, we're onto Stage B of the Challenge (and Stage C if you're feeling ambitious), which will be deadlining on September 6. Just use this thread for your posting of all the remaining strips so they're all located together. Good luck.

Thanks
    This is a reminder that we still have two parts of this Challenge to get involved in--the Genre Strip with on week or so to go, and Sci-Fi/Horror starting next Sunday.

AND a reminder to all you guys who NEVER read "Read this first" or have forgotten...

ALL of our Challenges DON'T have to have a beginning and end as such, just enough of a story to give us the flavor you're trying to convey. The strip competitions with five strips required DO have to be finished completely, but the page comics usually only have to have TWO pages done completely to go to poll.

Thanks
    I figured out my five on Saturday. I was going to do "Das Boot in the Ass," a submarine adventure with some Ilaekae style German dialog, but I also put these comics on another forum where they are a little more uptight so I thought better of it.

You other folks better enter, or else you will get beat by default

48. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm working on mine as well. Going to be sort of a Dick Tracy spoof.

-Mike Cross

-Also on FB and Twitter

50. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    here s my western
    hope i got it right and this is what i was supposed to do, not stand alone strips.

Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Sketchbook Support Group Lite :
    PKHayden Purrdey Vardia beejazz
    If anyone wants to join send me a PM

52. The Following User Says Thank You to kyurai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had intended to finish, Ilaekae, but I find myself with a particularly bad one of my cluster headaches today so I can't make any guarantees.

Thanks
    That's too bad arttoney...was looking forward to your version of Ilaekae. Well, here is my submission, titled Malcolm McCray, who is an investigator at the Scotland Yard. Enjoy.

-Mike Cross

-Also on FB and Twitter

55. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1