Following

EOW 115 Den of Thieves POLL - MULTIVOTE

115 Den of Thieves

Brief
    the Lair of a band of Vagabonds wastrels and company of theives

DUE August 9th 2009

and we're off again!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE IN THIS THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to your final post
    no larger than 150 pixels in either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I decided to make this the main garage of wealthy, organized space pirates, as well as other criminals. In other words, a very large galactic mafia. This is much more like an illegitimate corporation than a ragtag group.

(I thought it would be a cool take on the theme to try to portray a lot of bright lights and a very large space, to counter the cliché that thieves live in dark, claustrophobic holes in the wall. I think one benefit of many lights is that they can be associated with decadence-- think Las Vegas.)

This particular scene is a garage and storage area station, with a dining area for pilots and maintenance crew in that orange room in the background.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zirngibism; August 11th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Rodimus25; August 12th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Pirate Den of Thieves, a tribute to Monkey Island, the best game EVER.

--------------------------------------
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

http://www.adamnichols.net

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142444

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(stupid icon's making trouble :/)

Last edited by SunRoamer; August 10th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Den of Theives

Hi,

I envisioned a rock in the jungle being used to house these low life's. Their den would be somewhere out side of a settlement away from the authorities.

Their way of life is one where they would steal anything from money to people. The dens wild location reflects how wild these people are who call this place home.

Thanks for looking

Blog
    I want to go there and hang out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

den of thieves

A couple of thieves hide out in an abandoned arcade waiting for the sun to set before they go out in search of an easy victim.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prohibition Era "Den of Thieves"

Last edited by timothee; August 10th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
    You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  EOW#115_Klortho.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  366.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

--------------------------------------------------------------
    New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A remote hideout in the mountains...

Definitely not expecting any votes, haha, but this was a very fun experience. I hope to participate more in the future

Fantastic work everyone!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, i'll be putting up poll in the morning, so you have a few extra hours to get your stuff in. :]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up!

Rodimus, you need to outside host your thumbnail, not attach it. If you go do that i'll edit the poll and put it in for you.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi daestwen, sorry bout that, just updated my thumbnail, thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this topic has produced some great artwork. Congratulations to everyone for the truly inspirational images they have produced!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this impressive pool of work this week is worth a big round of crits, so here's my stab at it:

JessiBean: Really nice piece. I like the stylization, interesting colors, and concept of a former grandeur. There are a couple perspective issues here (such as the direction of the woodgrain in the upper right corner of the ceiling, but I don't think it's a big deal because of the style.

Feil Magnus: I like the way you composed this, but the actual content is a little confusing at first. The dark brown ellipses elude me. Are they man-made islands of somesort?
    Anyway, I suggest you look at photographs of how light plays on different surfaces, as well as some of the common characteristis of clouds and trees. Good start though.

Zirngibism: I was fairly happy with how some of these areas came out, but I think there's a lot I could still fix on this. (Probably should've given myself a bit more time.)
    Anyhow, my main crit with myself is that background. I'm still not sure how to handle those pillars in the lowest section-- more light? Less?
    My bane is negative space. I'm afraid of it. A Negaphobe.

brewin: This is a neat idea, though at first glance I had thought it was more of a "legitimate" castle. A quick fix might to be use more "evil" colors and architectural style on it. You have some good color variation in the mountains, but overall it looks just a bit chalky. Though that could be the atmospheric perspective-- I'll still buy it. Finally, why not try cropping the composition in a way to keep the point of focus from being in the exact center? It certainly is more of an impact in its present state, but I have a hard time dwelling on perfectly-centered compositions.

lkjhgfdsa: I really like this concept, and the view. One of my favorites here concept and layout-wise. Couple things, though. You have some nice crisp edges and more structural looking rendering on the lower buildings down at the bottom in shadow, and the rendering seems to break down a bit on the upper buildings when the light hits. Generally, the areas that catch the most light should be more tightly rendered. It's not a huge problem, but it causes a conflict of depth to me. I like the background on the right, but I think the trees on the left could use a bit of volume. Nice job overall, though.

Rodimus25: Another really cool concept! Composition-wise, it's nicely balanced, though that main column is too close to the center for my taste. Why not crop the left area, slightly? Love the color variation in the man-made structures. About your rendering of the lights, the fact that they all have auras is a little distracting. It seems like lights (at least in photos) seem to have more variability as to whether they have glowy halos. Also, while I haven't done a whole lot of cave rock painting myself, the texture of the stalactites bothers me a bit. Too uniform, perhaps? Maybe they would seem less separate from the rest if they picked up more of the warm light from the encampment area.

NicHolS: Wonderful color, atmosphere, and mood! And while I generally really like how you composed this, there doesn't seem to be quite enough negative space (coming from me, though, so you have my permission to ignore that.) Great job overall though, it inspires me to work out my color more.

revenebo: Cool approach, reminds me of some of those old Disney matte paintings. It might've been a little more dynamic if you'd made the point of view a little lower to stress the idea that this area is an "underbelly". Also, I find myself looking at the bright buildings at the top more than the actual hideout. Perhaps if you were to punch up the fire barrel scene? Then again, perhaps bringing the focal point up to the top buildings is a way of saying that the den of thieves is inconspicuous and unnoticed... but I still think it could do with something that people can really stare at.

SunRoamer: This certainly looks malevolent! Probably the most "evil" looking of the bunch. If it wasn't for the bright lava tunnel, though, I wouldn't be quite sure where to look. You've given just about every area an equal visual priority because of the high contrast in rendering. My favorite area is definitely the sky. Great strokes! As for the rest, I'd suggest studying real volcanoes. There's a lot of strange and interesting stuff that happens to rocks around them.

guilefine: I like the idea of a jungle setting, but it certainly seems like hollowing out a rock would be a lot of trouble, especially if they didn't plant a bunch of foliage around it to conceal the entrance. Perhaps if the entrance was tilted to suggest that the hideout is actually UNDER The rock? I like how the light plays on some of these little areas (especially on the right edge of the rock) but right now the texture and surface variation seems to be overpowering and confusing the rest of the image a bit. Finally, just to let you know, it's a general poll rule not to vote for one's self. I realize that it doesn't say that in the rules, which is why I did it once myself in a teen challenge out of not knowing better. Just keep it in mind for next time.

Mishkin275: Nice work. Good composition and use of lighting, and I really like how you handled your brush. My main crit is that the blue area in the back seems just a bit too monochromatic for its distance. Perhaps just a sparkle or two of warm, maybe the suggestion of a lamp in the distance, something. It just seems like the read area is a little too red, and the blue is too well, blue. Anyway, 'grats on the likely win!

SIME: Great work. I love the way you handled color, and composition, as well as taking more of a naturalist outlook on this topic. When I first saw it, I thought there was something odd about the way you handled the light rays, but when I come back and see them today, they seem to work great. I did have a bit of a hard time telling this was an arcade. If you were to put in an old style pac-man game or something in with its back to the leftmost column, then I think it would communicate more.

James Wolf: Nice idea, and beautiful execution, especially where color is concerned. I would almost be willing to bet money that you studied some of the Hudson River School painters, especially some of the work of Thomas Cole. Did you use any of his paintings as color inspiration for this?

timothee: While this kind of work has a place in game development and such, I'm not sure if it quite fits in this type of environment, just because it's more like a diagram meant to communicate exact objects in exact locations, rather than a painting meant to communicate a mood. Not to say that this doesn't have a mood-- there's still some nice stuff going on in here.

klortho: Well-composed scene here. And I like the slouched pose of the guy in the foreground. My main crit with it is that I'm not seeing any color priority, emphasis, or other change with depth. Both foreground and background have the same contrast, value, saturation, and even hue. Not a huge deal because you can easily change those things in PS.

Corrick: Pretty epic-style scene! Your work reminds me of that of Gary Tonge. I guess my main crit with this one is that some of it confuses me. For one thing, that arching bright streak on top of the hideout. that's an opening, right? I'm guessing they're in a volcano chamber, and all of those hanging chains are on fire from the lava below? I ask because at first I thought it was a space scene, from all the little lights in the back. Also, that round area on the left looked sort of like a crater or something. This is still a cool image with a nice composition, though.

wassermelone: I think it's neat how you used such a beautiful style to portray thieves. The setup doesn't make much sense (where are the trees getting their nutrients?) but it doesn't matter because of its whimsical nature. Did you use Painter's artist's oils or Artrage for the rendering? Anyway, 'grats on the cool piece.

kono: Another example of a moody atmosphere. Though while the sky is well-rendered, the rocks don't appear to be resolved yet. I've never really seen a mountain with uniform, matte lumps covering everything. Take a look at ref of some of the rocky mountains in the American west. Good start, though!

*PHEW*

Last edited by Zirngibism; August 12th, 2009 at 02:15 PM.

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zirngibism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for rodimus25, james wolf and wassermelone
    close runner ups where jessibean, guilefine, mishkin275 and corrick

29. The Following User Says Thank You to maeshanne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zirngibism, thank you very much for the feedback! Haha, the rocks really do look terrible... I'm trying to get better at my environments though, and this was a good exercise for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I F'ing love that piece wassermelone. You totally hit that one out of the park in my opinion. I LOVE the colors, like the tree growing on the house, i like that the treeroots are reaching into the water and like the whimsical nature of the thing as a whole. That will be my new desktop wallpaper.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    I F'ing love that piece wassermelone. You totally hit that one out of the park in my opinion. I LOVE the colors, like the tree growing on the house, i like that the treeroots are reaching into the water and like the whimsical nature of the thing as a whole. That will be my new desktop wallpaper.
    This made my day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Zirngibism for your comment i'll definitely work with photo reference to improve on what you pointed out.
    As for the ellipses i was thinking of man made cavities (like mines) but well it doesn't look too convincing i guess ^^ .
    That was very interesting i'll come again at eow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you very much for the comments Zirngibism, that was very generous of you heh heh Oh I am certainly familiar with Thomas cole as well as Albert Bierstadt too while I wasn't using them specifically to inspire my piece, I'm sure It came through as i've always been fond of their work.

I really enjoyed your piece, it was a very different take on the topic in comparison to the other submissions I think if you toned down the contrast in the distance is would help to add more space between the foreground and background, anyway keep it up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.