A Wedding painting.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Wedding painting.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while but a lot of little life things kept getting in the way. Anyways, for about a month I was over in Wisconsin and had no access to my computer. I was there for a wedding of my best buddy from the Marine Corps. and did a family wedding painting for them. I feel that I have gone as far as I can with it by myself and would like some feedback on it. The reference I used only as a loose one because I was not the one to take the picture and had to even photoshop that one to get them all looking the right way.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job - the smiles and likenesses come across well.

I think you could lighten up the shadows on the clothing, as apart from a few of the darker folds, most of the shadows in the photo aren’t as dark as you've made them. I also think it looks nice to keep the lost edges from the photo, where you've outlined then. eg: On the boys collar, the edges disappear into the shirt (it's not easy to see where the boundary is between the two), but you've clearly delineated the two shapes - I think this looks too cartoony and loses some of the naturalness of the photo.

The skin tone is slightly too cool in the shadows and could be warmed up a bit with a subtle glaze perhaps

I think you could also bring in those brighter 'sky holes' in the tree that are in the photo (little dots of bright green showing through the leaves) and punch up the waters reflection highlights a bit - although I understand if you don't want to detract from the foreground figures.

I would be tempted to change the composition slightly as well, as the family has a lot of space on the left, but is touching the side of the picture on the right, although unless you're willing to re-stretch the canvas and cut off the left edge then it's a bit late.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Puck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've done alot of good work on this!

If you want to kick it up another notch, I think you may want to save a copy at this stage and then revisit each of the faces for some minor adjustments.

1)The son's head is a little undersized relative to his body. also, you have slightly over accentuated the detail and shading under his chin making his head seem a little disconnected. the outline of his nose is slightly overaccentuated too.

2) Daughter on the left: ear has become a little bit rectangular. area between nose and upper lip is a little too puffy and detailed. You have almost nailed the smile but it could still be a tiny bit happier. Her forehead could slope back a bit more. The philtrum is a little overdefined on all of them except dad.

3) Mom: the part in her hair is looking a bit like a bald spot. Adding white to her eyes has upset the shading and made her look a little harsh. don't forget a hint of reflected light under her chin to make her head look more attached to her neck. philtrum could be less defined. eyebrows could be slightly refined.

4) dad's head is slightly enlarged(mostly upper half I think) and you could broaden the mouth and tone down the smile a tiny bit.

5) daughter on the right: highlights and facial lines around the mouth and chin are a little harsh. They are softer and more youthful in the photo. eyes are slightly walleyed in the painting. nose and mouth may be a little too low or spread out. careful not to make the eyebrows too heavy on the girls.

You might considering flipping the painting and the photo horizontally in photoshop and doing a little retouching before flipping it back. (flipped photo attached below with painting overlay)

Kind of alot of minor notes there. Hope they help.

A Wedding painting.

Last edited by PsiBug; August 10th, 2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added pic

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Puck: Thanks, those are some points that helps.

Psibug: Thanks for the observations and that animated Gif file helps a great deal. I have done that before however this time I was really trying to do it all by eye

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.