Sketchbook: Dmitry K's Sketchbook ( Criticism welcome! )
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dmitry K's Sketchbook ( Criticism welcome! )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dmitry K's Sketchbook ( Criticism welcome! )

Hello, I'm Dmitry, and this is my sketchbook. Its been a while since I've last drawn, almost a year, but I've started to miss it lately. Also, I find that when I devote time to drawing and painting, my photography gets better as well.

I've had several teachers, but my greatest teacher was at Governor's School last summer, he taught me to see in geometric shapes, constructing faces and bodies from cylinders, spheres, and other shapes. Another thing that he's taught me was a thing he liked to call "structural envelopes", which involves breaking the outside contour into a few simple lines, and then carving more specific lines from the general shape. I will try to use these techniques throughout this sketchbook. This sketchbook will mainly be observation drawings, but maybe I'll throw in a few of my imagination drawings.

The aim of this sketchbook will be mainly to improve my understanding of the face and figure, perspective, and structure of objects so that I may be better able to draw from my imagination. I hope the nice people of this forum will help me to achieve this goal

My first drawing is one of my friend Patrick. This was a 20 minute or so drawing done on packaging paper. It was done from a photograph. I'm pretty happy with this one, because I've tried it before and it hadn't worked out as well. I think I could have done a better job developing the planes of the brow area, and I think extended the chin a little too much. The nostrils also look a bit crooked. The biggest challenge was getting Patrick's left cheek in the proper position.

When I post a drawing done from a photograph should I post the photograph as well?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to Concept Art! Your teacher who said to see things in geometric shapes is right. It's one of the best ways to start off. Then later, the shapes come more naturally and the drawings have a flow to them.

The drawing is very realistic, with the shading and highlights. Did you use Charcoal?
    And about the photograph question, it's really your choice although it is easier to see what you might have to practice more of...or something like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by drobyazko View Post
    The drawing is very realistic, with the shading and highlights. Did you use Charcoal?
    And about the photograph question, it's really your choice although it is easier to see what you might have to practice more of...or something like that.
    Thank you! Yes I used charcoal and white chalk. I like charcoal a lot.

Here's my drawing for today. Its of my friend Andrey, and I spent more time on it than I would have liked ( 1 hour or so ), but he's going off to college so I wanted to get it right, or something like that. I'm still not happy with it, but I already sprayed it. I think it looks too cartoony in places, especially along the right side of his face and the right side of the nose. I think I layed on the line a little too thick...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice SK I realy like your artworks .I never tryed to work with charcoal and white chalk but i think i should try this sometimes .

About your "cartoony" face . I got the same problem . In my way its because of the size of the eyes . I thing you do the same fault maybe try to draw them a bit smaller next time .

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.