Team CHOW II: Doomsday Dream Clan - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Team CHOW II: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noo! please keep the good spellcaster, I think he makes a great counterpart. If you are going to rework any characters, it should be the good elf, I think. Do you need any help painting nick? I would like to paint a bit, if possible.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By all means go ahead and paint, I'd like to see what you can accomplish with the elf if that's what you want to work on. I personally really like the way it turned out this far.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fares

OK here is what I think is the finished version of Fares (dark elf).

Name:  dark-elf-03.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  88.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wolfsbane

OK guys, I took a stab at reposing Wolfsbane our human brawler. We have to make more dynamic and accurate poses.

Name:  wolfsbane-01.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  65.1 KB

I'm not sure about any of the characters currently up for grabs other than the evil spellcaster who looks ready for paint.

Clanlord I also really don't like the shields or the weapons for the brawlers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 1 Angel and Devil

Well, since we were talking about the angel and devil female I decided to do something a bit different.

How about if you play as a baby when you're level 1?

Name:  Level-1-Angel-and-Devil.jpg
Views: 2646
Size:  28.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Nick!

Hahahahaaa nice angel baby and demonic baby! I love them haha. I've tried to finish with the first characters that we have chosen - Spellcasters, Brawlers and Elves. So all the sketches are finished. I do not want to lose any more time in creating sketches. We have only 2 (very well) painted pieces. I want time to learn how to use some techniques in painting. When I paint them I want to give them ideologically consistent look. The fast work is a shame for the artist. Now I'll help you with the painting - there are 4 characters left for painting! So I think this is acceptable for 9 days.
    About the good spellcaster I want to say that not only the bad guys must look toughy. I've obtained inspiration from a film called Green Mile. It is one of my favourite films and there was a man called John Coffey. A black man that has been given the gift to heal people. The gift to safe lifes and he was sentenced to death because the people thought that he was a killer. I wanted to create a negrillo character. This will diversify the group of our characters which are all white - caucasian - european. So John Coffey is a good person and he is bulky, big, strong, massive, muscular and etc. So I think there is no problem with that.

The Dark Elf is just stunning peace! I can say honestly it is better than the first. I love the lightning and the colors. To stop advertising my teamate I'll say that we basically have no time to do another Dark Brawler! The weapons are good imo. Let's finish them in the way that they are. We have 9 days in which at the end we had to do a SUBMISSION THREAD! I don't actually know where we need to do that thread. It must include the sketches during the process and the final variants which must be in that size 469(wide)x709(high). And here is info about the last tasks that we are obliged to do if we want to participate:

- SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
    6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.

It is very important for us to follow these rules!
    So Nick suggested posting some briefings that are up to standart! So here they are Good Elf, Wolfsbane (Dark Brawler).

Brawler

Brawlers are very aggressive and robust. Their streinght is close combat and their nature is to fight. The brawlers are group of mercenaries formed of ex - swashbucklers, sea-robbers and deserters from the army. The brawler parties are fromed only of men separated in clans or groups of 30. Eveyone who is accepted in their group has to cut his small finger on both feet which is their distinctive mark in a particular group. Brawlers usually kill without a reason and they avoid social relationships. The most dangerous and rude are prone to killing without a reason, robbing, raping and cannibalism.

Appearance: heroic (1.89metres - 2.20metres), massive muscular body, bony legs, long arms;
    Face: short nose, bulging eyebrows, wide-bottomed eyes, thin lips, cheek bone;
    Equipment: Shield, Body Vest, Mace, Helmet, Leg Pads, Shoulder Pads;
    Hair: bald (N\A);

Elf

The nature of this mythical creatures talks that they have the olfaction of wolves, the sight of an eagle and the endurance of a bear. The Elves are very strange and not very talkative humanoids. The most significant difference between them and the humans is that their perfection is beyond the human comprehension. The task of these creatures is to preserve the balance in nature and Earth forces. Beside their inability of fighting great battles in close combat they are very accurate with their handmade bows. If they have a chance to stalk the enemy they use their cutting weapon the knife Majaira (Mahaira).
    The word hunt in their language means art of killing. That’s why it is a great honor for them while they are preparing for hunting. Usually they put three or two feathers of the most beautiful bird called Eol on the top of their bows. They believe that the feathers will give them the strength to execute perfectly their tasks.
    Let’s take a closer look to his clothing and the overall look of the armor. That tells us about his place in the hierarchy. The elves give a great honor to the well – earned place. His cloth on the belt gives us a big hint about in what tribe he is. His shiny and well carved figures and ornaments on the leg pads and arm pads can suitably fit into war defence armor too. But it also shows that this elf is reputable by his friends.

Appearance: slim, long legs, wide shoulders;
    Face; long oval, pale;
    Hair: long blonde;
    Equipment: majaira, long bow, leather vest, leg pads, arm pads, leather belt, bag;

SORRY FOR THE LONG LETTER! - G

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little update! It is showing the process in painting our first product. I cannot say it is fully finished maybe Nick is going to polish him more.

Thanks for looking

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Clanlord, looking good, I think they just want our finished pieces in the burning thread and a link to this thread to show the WIP so we don't need to spend time making these.

I'm going to let you paint the spellcasters and brawlers, in the meantime I'm going to actually go forward and do the babies. First because it's funny and secondly because it's unique and none of the other teams are doing anything remotely close to this. Another reason is because I'm not comfortable with any of the other sketches except for the evil spellcaster to actually paint, unless I press from the step of the brawler that I painted above.

So here is the sculpt for the LEVEL 1 DEVIL.

Name:  Level-1-Devil-01.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  48.0 KB

I'm going to try to finish both of these babies by the end of the weekend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Ok Nick! You are painting the Evil Spellcaster! I said that I am not so experienced in painting my SB is full of graphics. So the third stage is painting - you are the painter - I am the sketcher. I'll paint the good Spellcaster and the Evil Brawler. I do not say that I am unable to do it. I cannot say that this is impossible. I'll try to give the most of myself Sorry I haven't started the Dark Spellcaster. So do you want to paint it?

Here are some adjusted variants! We'll polish as much as we can until the end! Keep cracking boys! - G

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow those look awesome Clanlord, great finishing touches! Really impressive.

OK I'll start working on the evil spellcaster too, can you rework the good spellcaster though. I'm not saying to change the design of him but just the shape. His body is real thick and the pose is awkward. I do like the dynamics with the leaves though, not sure if you worked in ink or pencil, maybe if pencil you can erase a bit.

This is why it's so important to get many simple sketches down at the first stage, we really fucked up on that part of the contest.

OK here is a sculpted version of the baby angel, it still has a long ways to go but he's shaping up.

Name:  Level-1-Angel-01.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  35.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey george, I would like to do the brawlers, if you do the spellcasters. I really need the high res files for the brawlers, could you email them? I would also appreciate if Nick you could post all the high res non-baby files you have on the downloads section of your site, or get them to me somehow. I'm ready to do some PAINTING!

Last edited by Swordhand; August 22nd, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I'm putting up 2 more files there for you Swordhand.

I've also decided to post the inspiration piece which was provided at the start of this contest. Looking at this I think we definitely succeeded with our dark elf Fares.

Name:  kl.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  351.7 KB

I was also reading in the Howling Boys thread that there's a very precise requirement to keep the pieces in a 2 by 3 aspect ratio.

I'm also starting on the evil spellcaster tonight and like I mentioned I will push the babies a bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The babies seem really silly to me. Why not just finish off the spellcasters and brawlers and call it finished?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Part of the brief was to do original stuff, everyone is doing knights, elves and wizards... nobody is doing anything even remotely original as a concept. Not only that but the babies are actually funny. We're not going to win this contest, the Howling Boys have it in the bag imo, so we might as well try something different.

That being said you're welcome to paint away on any of the concepts you've developed or the ones Clanlord has put together which do have promise. You seem to like the good spellcaster so why not take a stab at him at least?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to, But I don't have the file. Could you send me the spellscaster (good) and the brawler files, george?

I see what your talking about, nick, but do they meet the 'high fantasy' requirement?

I guess, we are doing the others anyway, why not right? Lets just make sure we have enough illustrations to finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Nick I think it is riginal idea. You must stylize the rendering more. Are we heading to some perfection? The answer is yes. The babies are small characters withut any extra clothing, armor and weapons so they need to be perfect in their own way. The background too. I won't give you examples just advice.

Mick I'll handle the rest! You can do the briefings, the good elf (slightly finishing touches)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to paint as well, anyways. Could you send me the files anyways please?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mick I want to see you paint, not just say that you'll do it.

Here is a hack at the spellcaster. What's odd about this is that unwittingly I came up with the same environment as the one in that motivation piece, even the trees are the same! I must've looked at that image really hard for that to happen.

Name:  Dark-Spellcaster-01.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  68.5 KB

Anyways, I think I'll darken up the background a lot and bring up the orange lava light from the foreground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I told you I have the two files loaded for you. Clanlord seems to have went afk, just increase the size of one of the JPGs here and paint over it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another step on Delmar - the Dark Spellcaster.

I like how the figure turned out, still a bit unsure about the environment.

Name:  Dark-Spellcaster-02.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  76.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He is really nice Nick! Here It is even more polished variant of the good elf!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Delamar

OK, I'm very sad to report that I made absolutely no headway on the babies and my weekend is over. However, here is a hack at the Spellcaster, I'm kind of burned out on him at this stage, hope you guys approve of what I did with him. He was looking good earlier but in no way magical, I wanted to make him bleed magic into the surrounding world.

Name:  Delamar-04.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  98.1 KB

Well that's 3 for us, I'm still very concerned about managing to finish this.

Clanlord, there are good things you did with the elf archer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That glowing blue.. Damn that's cool. He looks so much better than last post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nick you do not even think to stop amazing me! This is stunning! I made the final variant with some adjustments! Say if he needs some changes! I am working on the good Spellcaster now! Hope to get finished it today!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK Clanlord, there are once again good things you did here but not all. I love the rim lighting on the the foot. Also the textures are a step in the right direction but too much. The ones on the trees in the background definitely distract as they bring the trees into focus, you want those to not show much detail and to be fainter.

Also I told you about this but the glowing green on the text is too much. Reduce the glow and it will look better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do we need to put those silly little copyright bars on guys? like seriously, what are they doing besides looking silly here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you are right. I think simply having the light and dark symbols, names and perhaps a smaller bar of text saying DDC is good enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, agreed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lorian Adjustments

OK guys, I can't paint this until I fix the issues with the underlying figure. Here's my first stab at it. It's not looking good at all but at least he's actually starting to look like a version of Delamar.

Also the hat is cute but I'm not sure about it.

Name:  Lorian-01.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  55.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And a step forward with the painting.

Name:  Lorian-02.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  86.4 KB

I really wanted to make him look more like Dalamar and I believe this was definitely in the right direction.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.