Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are my reasons enough as is needed to do art.

Thanks

Are my reasons enough as is needed to do art.

The main reason i'm on the art path is that i need to do SOMETHING in life. And since i would be doing art even if i became a cat burglar i might as well become an artist and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
    But also, i don't want to be a tramp on the street, i don't want to die and be a distant memory, i don't want to be uneeded, and i dont want to be a let down on anyone who does need me. So i'm gonna need some sort of profession.
    I can't be the man who feeds his family working solely at McDs his whole life. If i worked at McDs while being an artist then maybe.
    I'm aiming to become an artist because i mostly love but somtimes like art, and because i'm going to need to survive somehow, and so i'm not a disappointment to my family.

So do you think this is enough reason to pursue a career in art?
    And at my age, will there be any point is trying?
    Last edited by ZenzybaR; August 8th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    No, there is no point, do one. Begone.

Thanks
    And at my age, will there be any point is trying?
    No, you're far too ancient and over the hill at 21 to do anything other than climb into the coffin, and just lie there, waiting patiently....

(I'm 49, by the way )

Dave

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes, yes they are………Dude…save the melodrama for your sketchbook…while your asking this question your competition is out there drawing. Don't waste time second guessing your passion (if in fact it is your passion)…all you do is open yourself to ridicule and sarcasm…DRAW! and make it happen or you'll forever be stuck at that McJob.
    "It's better to have Heart than technique, you can be taught technique." (Frank Trigg -- MMA Fighter on the subject of fundamentals)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Musselfarmstudios For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Musselfarmstudios: lol, thanks for the motivation, i should think like that more.

dcorc: Are you starting to a path in an art as well? I mean, i know anyone can start art at any age for fun, but since im aiming to do it full time, i want to know if it's worth the journey.

Flake:??? noob.

I don't work at McDs at the moment. I'd work at McDs to help put myself through the art course i'm going on next month if there was an opening.
    I have worked at McDs in the past and its all work and little pay. My payment was all accounted for before i got it. If i was lucky and got £3 surplus i'd buy a new pencil and comic book. I forgot how happy i was to get a new 50p pencil back then. It almost makes me want to cry lol.

What i mean is, at this age, is it worth it? Yes people are going to say "It's about the passion yo, if you dont love it then don't do it." But can i feed my hypothetical family off art starting at this age. Will my hypothetical kids complain and call me a bastard father and incompetent because i started art at such a late age. Will my wife sleep with the banker behind my back so we can pay last months rent.

These are my concerns.
    I read the thread with the guy saying 40,000 a year and stuff just now. It helped a little but his was a different question.
    Current Projects:

I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Let's see. Most decent artists start to take their art seriously around the age of 16-18.
    Mostly 18. Before that they mostly doodled and didn't improve their level very much.
    So at 21, you'll have to work an additional 4-6 years before you retire when compared to people who started early.

You be the judge if that is reasonable.

Also, if you want to do art as a living, and not be a teacher, go to an atelier, not a public school.

And life isn't a Charles Dickens novel.

Thanks
    Hyskoa: That makes sense, i guess. But i've always read, "since i was a kid". Unless "kid" is 16-18 to these people. I never thought about it that way. Kid is 8 to me.
    Also i'm going to a college with a separate art department. I've heard they're are decent. Is this sufficient. Also the course is 1 intensive year of art and design. Then i'm going to do something higher, this is just to give me a better chance getting onto a higher level course. I'm actually under qualified for the course and had to do an interview. She didnt want to take me at first. But then she changed her mind. I think it might have been that i said "i'm going to keep drawing, and i'll get better. So even if this college or any others don't accept me then i'll keep going on my own and make it." She said she'd give me a chance so i'm happy with that.
    The course is Foundation Degree is Art and Design (Deploma). I don't know what it means but i can get higher up with it so whatever.
    I've also never heard of an atelier until you posted it. I've only been on CA properly since about 3 months ago even though my account is old.

Elwell: Thanks for posting that link. It was a great read. Exactly the kind of thing i needed to see.
    Last edited by ZenzybaR; August 8th, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Current Projects:

Thanks
    I looked at your sketchbook, and it's pretty good. Keep at it and maybe one day you can make money off your talents, if not go into graphic design. lolz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bentley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Depends how committed you are, really, doesn't it. Read the thread that Elwell linked to, above.

There are certainly people who've started far older than you who become professional artists.

For someone a little older than you, when he started, there's no more needs to be said here than Mindcandyman
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870
    check out where he started, and where he's got to, now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bentley: thanks
    Dcorc: thanks for the link, its good to see someone improve over time.
    Flake: Man whats your problem. You came with your, i hope, "tough love" and i didn't like it. Why are you trying to turn it into something!? I came asking advice from people who have been through or who might know what i want to know. I need to make the right choices and failure will leave me in a VERY bad position. I don't know your circumstances, so maybe you have a nice life where you can get what you want easily, but right now, 4 wasted years is not an option. So go watch your UFC. i bet you boo whenever Machida wins cause he doesn't provide your nonsense.
    Current Projects:

Thanks
    Flake - I know that for those of us who've been around here a while, this thread seems rather "same old, same old" - but its obviously not so for the original poster.

As you well know, much of the art "education" in the UK isn't worthy of the name, so its hardly surprising we get people coming along feeling rather confused, unsure, and uninformed.

Dave

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Fairy nuff Dave, I'll shoosh.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast