Would appreciate help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Would appreciate help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Would appreciate help

I am currently completing this piece for a DnD variant my friends are currently playing, in which they stumble across this plant like bud which opens and draws them in, using its tenticles as pursuading tools if the adventures arn't directly drawn in.

I am aware that some detail is missing, however I'm really not sure where to go next and how to bring the picture out more, so any advice or criting would be lovely. Thankyou.

Edit: Updated this with the most up to date picture

Name:  Not Sure.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  233.2 KB

Last edited by Flapenko; August 9th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a little muddled...I can't tell exactly what I'm looking at.

I would go Google carnivorous plants, so you have something to go off of and then exaggerate it as you see fit.
    on top of that playing with the perspective of the plant would make it seem more intimidating. if you were to be looking up at it. then maybe some of the plants tendrils could be shooting straight at the viewer.
    thats what I see in my head when I think of an attacking plant.
    remember in you're color pallet that even if something in nature seems one color, the light that bounces off of it will be giving off a whole different spectrum of color. for instance even I'm drawing a completely blue character, I throw in purple shadows and yellow highlights. I think you're painting would benefit from more shading and more colors. but first you have to get the underlying drawing looking strong, and that will happen when you use a wide variety of reference.

sry to blab. hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou for your advice Ill see what I can do with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update, started to neaten up the flower in the middle, haven't really done much more, just stopping now to get a feel of whether people think im going in the right direction with this.

Name:  Not Sure.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  254.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you work on a painting, fill the canvas with either the fill bucket or a grad of the dominant color/color of the farthest distance and paint over that. Here you have a lot of white stuff showing through. Also, I think you could bring the piece together more by mixing colors of some elements with others.
    ex using brown/dark blue in shadows, maybe even purple for an eerie feel.
    I think when trying a lightsource in a cave, identify first your lightsource in black and then add on that, because caves tend to recede into darkness unlike outside, where everything is bright and you just subtract shadows.
    Also, it's a bit difficult to tell what the focal point is. There is detail everywhere, so it might be a little hard to pick out what exactly are the tentacles.

I hope this quick paintover helps with lighting.

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaytea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone have any further advice on the image? I wanted the plant to feel wonderous/mysterious, and it be clear that the people at the front where trying to stop the one guy from going in.

Also I tentacles to look subtley threatening, only visible to the viewer to add some suspense to the picture.

What could I do to attempt to acheive this feel with this piece as I feel its quite off from that at the moment, possibly only just capturing wonder and mysteriousness.

Thankyou.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.