Angles problem
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Angles problem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angles problem

This isn't your usual "I can't draw anymore plz help" thread. My problem is with the angles in my drawings, especially in faces. I can't seem to draw proper and interesting angles even in my construction.

This causes size problems in my drawings, and let's say I'm doing a portrait gives me similar looking faces (between the drawings not the drawing and the subject). This then causes a burst of rage wherein I rip up/out the page and start over. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can beat this problem.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 3,588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Slow down, observe, consider what you see before drawing. Break the face down into abstract sections - you're not drawing a face just interconnecting shapes.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re

Use a reference, pencil in the outline shapes of the face with a hard pencil, and once the proportions are right use some softer pencils.

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you are having trouble recreating the correct angle on your paper that you see on the model I have a way that might help check it.

Its hard to describe with out showing but here it goes,

Take your hand with your drawing instrument and hold it to your face. Thumbside to your cheek.

Holding your pen/pencil in your thumb and pointer finger line up your pen/pencil to the angle you see before you.

Keeping that angle firm, tilt your head down towards your drawing and check the angle.

Doing this check close to your face and not arm extended out helps keep the angle correct. although you may feel a little silly it works

hope that helps

Last edited by Zazerzs; August 10th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    "Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's 99% likely that you don't understand what angles are, or their purpose. Post some examples, and a description of what you think is the function of the angles.

simple tips:
    Start with tracing over pictures. Paintings, drawings, photos, there's no difference. Pick one then trace over it a few times putting in the simple angles, then do it again freehand.

when drawing from life:
    Set up your paper so it's set up vertical and arm's distance to whatever you're drawing. This is sight-size drawing. Close one eye and it's like you're tracing, the object and the drawing are the same size. Robert Fawcett's "On the art of drawing" has good info. It's a simple and obvious trick once someone explains it.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.