Our preliminary idea is a religious faction inspired by the vatican (vampire hunters of various flavours) versus vampires. Which side is evil and which side is good could be ambivalent, but for now it looks like the zealots are the bad guys.
The zealots are gonna be inspired by catholic clothing, with expensive fabrics, heavy embroidery, intricate ornate armors and such.
The vampires will have a look inspired by various historical factions opposing the church, or nobility. The idea of their costumes is to contrast the rigid, formal religious look with something more wild, playful, unorganized, sexy, etc. (and by sexy i don't mean a breastplate with cleavage, since we can do better than THAT.. )
Attempts to contact Mulm has been unfruitful these last days, so we haven't been able to discuss these ideas with her. So they might change a little or a lot, depending on mulm's input. (Mulm, if you're reading this, please contact us in irc or PM us with your msn etc. )
Last edited by Slash; August 13th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
yay!! since I'm the lowest level of the 3 I'll try to be useful and not get in the way ;p
I thought I'd copy paste the guidelines for future reference:
Here are the rules!
1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!
PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.
Gender: Male / Female
Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)
YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!
Okay, NOW GO!
The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.
1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.
Cooool, loving the religious warrior. I like the sword design in the middle there but i think the things sticking out toward the hilt would probably dig into his hands when he swung it around, unless positioned like a guard, maybe?
Ok since me and Slash are in the same place, we dont really post our conversations here, so here's what we have so far:
my character, I'm not too sure what race it is yet, I know they are all vamps or clericals, but within each group there are your usual elf, human, orc, undead, what-have-yous.
I first had my heart set on an Orc Nun and I still do, I'm thinking something over the top, a warrior character in the most overly ornate and grotesquely luxurious nun costume you have ever seen, like in the Fellini clip above. The Orc nun is the evil side of our Orc character, her "good alternate" is of course an Orc Vamp (yes you heard me).
Now here's the challenge: vampires are stealthy by nature, so how does a brutish Orc go about moving around undetected? I'm guessing to feed as a vampire you need to be able to sneak up on your prey, and we should find creative ways for each race within the vampire group to sneak up.
Dwarf vampires, for example, usually sleep burried upright under the ground all day on frequently crossed roads (consistent with usually fantasy dwarves' MO, and them being close to soil mining creatures) and leaping out of them at night when they feel someone walking the ground above them and biting at their ankle to feed. This could be useful to lay ambushes to the Clerical Guard and such.
Now one character I've been thinking about and sketching is an Illusionist Elf vampire (could also be human, mind you...). Trueblood has taught me vampires have the power to glamour people but let's extrapolate this into a battle skill. Maybe a highly skilled and trained vampire could use a more mature version of this power to provoke hallucinations in his enemies as a battle skill.
This female illusionist/rogue? hm hm vampire's weapon is a not too menacing three-headed flail. She needs a far-reaching weapon because having developped her psychic powers more, she is not as efficient in close quarter physical combat, as opposed to warrior-class vamps. But here's the twist: using her psychic power, she can provoke a mass hallucination in enemy ranks by making them believe the three flails of her whip are actually three massive deadly cobra snakes she commands at will. Her true weapon is the mass hysteria she strikes in the heart of the enemy, a very suspicious lot (catholic church is not a big fan of snakes, is it? so imagine this super extremist clerical ruled world, it should be brimming with all kinds of superstitions!) and thus paves the way for the actual revolutionary hordes to come out, causing all the damage!
Her "evil" alter ego im not sure yet... but it would need to be someone who could also invoke illusions inspired by catholic church practices. Slash actually pointed out something awesome I didn't know; apparently, travelling missionaries (or preachers) for the church back in the day used to travel around the countryside and tell people about the horrors of Hell that awaited them if they did not follow the Church's teachings. So how about her alter ego is one of those "travelling preachers" (lighter gear consistent with rogue/psychic class) who invokes visions of hell (demons, tortured souls, the lot...) to dismay and damage the enemy...
phew. I should scan my sketches, shouldn't I? more to come, but I'll admit coming up with this shit is my favorite part! X3
Here's a bunch of icewind dale portraits, the black isle game portraits are basically my main inspiration for this, and was the reason i got into game art in the first place. Hopefully i'll do them some justice.
Awesome work Slash! I think more of a battle stance is in order tho, maybe you could draw some thumbnails or that? Like preparing to strike with the hammer, really brutish, orcish, she doesnt look that evil right now!
Also I would really up the ornamental factor if I were you, more gold, more ostentious shit, more embroidery, the like... I guess I'll sketch up a thumb for you to show what I mean tomorrow when we wake up!
here's my progress on my half-elf vampire illusionist! should I go for a more conservative pose? with the snakes wrapped around her body and just looking up at the camera? I want her to be playful while engaging in battle to showcase her "good side", it's challenging... I think tomorrow is costume exploration and hopefully some render time!
OH LAST BUT NOT LEAST!! thank you Matte for helping me find so many awsm references, I owe you HARD, dude! and thank you Slash for all the help with the pose in this update, my boobs fail without you my love!
Some scribbles before bedtime. Done some more on the orc nun, and also explored some ideas of a new breed of vampire hunter - the poisoner (temporary name). He's based on the plague doctors of the black plague, and the idea is that he weakens vampires using an incense burner/flail combo, the smoke of which is filled with a substance highly irritating to vampires, courtesy of the church alchemists.