Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts

Changes around here...for the better

Over the coming months, CA is going to be going through some major changes. MAJOR changes for the better...all thanks to the members here who have been supporting the site with the new streaming classes and the downloads sales. You all are the reason my hours at this computer are making progress, so thank you.

The first will be apparent soon when the Conceptart.org domain becomes TheArtDepartment.Org as we move to become much more than a concept art site and begin to do justice to our budding fine art, photography, sculpture, 3d, and animation communities. Even the sketchbooks group is getting the goodies they need.

It will be some months yet, and I need to keep getting the downloads and streaming classes completed, but we have a ton of new features to add...some will be apparent in the next month...all will be apparent within the next four. Production on the new tech is under way. The new site skin and features are coming out nicely.

But for now, I just wanted to point out the new domain which you will see beginning to go into effect soon. The conceptart.org domain will still be used, but more focused on the concept art side of things, and the other talented groups will be getting their due too.

Thanks for the support everyone. It is going to be a very good xmas this year. Very good. Not just for ca...but for you all too as the features that are free are getting a big bump and we have a host of professional services in the works too.

Happy Saturday!

Jason

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Good to hear Jason. I'm sure many people have been patiently waiting for news on what the good stuff is that is coming to The Community. I've bought a couple of downloads and have been dying to make it to one of the workshops, but the many people who buy all of the downloads and attend the classes are the true heroes of the community. Even those who live in the Critique and sketchbook portion of the site have displayed immense concern and love for their fellow artists growth.

Thank you once again for the news and can't wait to see the changes come into effect. By the way, can the next WS be in Tokyo? I don't think you've attacked this place just yet. Just saying...

Stark

Thanks
    Oooooooooh... SNAP.

You are making over a hundred thousand people sit on edge here Jason, If I go any farther, I might as well forfeit the chair.

I already got a few of the videos and enjoy the caliper work that you and your crew put into them. If I could get a few more bucks headed my way I'll see if I can't get a few more.

-Shawn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I'm glad to hear that is officially expanding beyond the realm of concept art. Congratulations this site is even bigger than you intended. I saw this coming years ago. Unfortunately CA will go back to meaning my home state I can't wait to see what you've been cookin.

Thanks
    So CA will now be called TAD or AD now?
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    CA is but just a part of things...the heart currently...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    *Feels cheeky*

So when do we see a list of new features? *nudge* nudge*

Thanks
    Not that im not extremely happy for conceptart.org and really greatful for everything its done but anyone else feel a little broken hearted to see the name change i mean i fully relize that its for the better and includes alot more future artist then what the title Conceptart might first present its self as but still hopefully we keep that good sense of community and friendship..but anyways all those new features are really itching me right where i scratch

O WAIt a sec...dose that mean that the artist at the top of the page change...like will see more newer people up their is it still reserved for like MB/ and the best of CA/and what ever it is up their.. because htas one of the features that really drew mi in was that one extra blank spot that said i could be their someday..
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    I, for one, am excited to hear about the changes that are coming down the line. In some way, I feel like CA is growing up. It has reached out to so many people and so many have given back to it that it is really inevitable that it would grow through some changes. I'm sure many of us will look back on the "good old days" with fondness and nostalgia. So in some ways it might be a little sad. But that's what it was like when I left home to go to school and move on with a career. I will always cherish those days that have passed by. But the changes that have come have been some of the most exciting parts of my life. Maybe it'll be like that here and I'm sure the things that are to come are going to be amazing.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carl Dobsky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    So, Conceptart.org is getting bigger-hearted. Is that possible?

Looking forward to see what happens.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Art Department, huh? I love the sound of a more open CA and I've always wanted a site like this to learn about animation. The name will take a while to get used to, but it will seem normal in a while.

I'm looking forward to see what's coming in the coming months. Looks like I'll be learn a lot of things on my winter break back home.
    "Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Hey Jason, how does Irene feel about you swiping her name?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Hey Jason, how does Irene feel about you swiping her name?
    I saw it as "homage".
    Last edited by Bill; August 9th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is great news

Quick question: when the main domain name changes, will the internal conceptart.org links still function properly? Or I guess I should say, will they be permanently redirected to their artdepartment.org equivalents, or just for a temporary period of time? For example, say I posted a url to someones sketchbook using the CA.org address, after the domain change would I have to manualy update the url, or is that just taken care of automatically?

I know at another site I used to frequent, when they changed their domain name, they didn't stay on top of the redirects, and after a couple months all the internal links went 404 error, which pretty much tanked their forum archives. I'm sure someone's probably already on that for CA, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys have been doing.

Attachment 746914

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
with a tad of patience...anything is possible.

ideas for a slogan

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love it, can't wait to see.

Thanks
    when I heard the new name, I immediately thought of Irene Gallo :/

http://igallo.blogspot.com/

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texahol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Glad to hear that other kinds of art is going to get some attention!

Thanks
    meant to post here yesterday already - couldn't quite put into words what I thought at the time.

This is good news Jason, and this is exciting news. One of the reasons for my recent hiatus has been the limited spectrum of creative endeavors that CA caters to. I mostly find commercial, entertainment driven art on here, some classic fine art and the occasional contemporary illustration. There's also very little in the way of styles - it's almost always some degree of naturalism or realism and too little abstraction and experimentation.

This new move will not only bring even more people here, but also help broaden the horizons of CA.org itself.

The important thing is this: what differentiates CA from any other site I've been to is the feeling of potential you get when look around here. No other site gives one this sense of being able to achieve all the fantastic feats it displays in its gallery. The community setup - the spectrum ranging from wet-eared newbie to muscle-flexing pro - is something that also aides this.

If there's one thing this expansion must maintain, it's that feeling you get. But then you already know that Jason. Good luck, I'm looking forward to all that about to happen here.
    Brendan Noeth

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome news, Jason!! I agree with what Brendan said, too! The site and members totally make me feel like I have potential and can improve. It'll be cool seeing the changes, seeing the site really "branch out". I'm already really intrigued by many of the forum sections, so...man!! How cool!

Thanks
    Good news, can't wait for the changes.. specially the new forum skin.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

• The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    This is a great thing.
    I love and respect concept art...but for me personally, it's not really my greatest interest and speaking only for myself...that just isn't the kind of art that I do. It's nice to see other industries officially brought into the fold instead of this loose "Well, we welcome all kinds of art...but we are still mostly about concept art" kind of thing we got going on now.

Can't wait to see where it goes...

-D

Thanks
    This is really cool news Jason. I like the idea of compartmentalizing the site a bit the way you described up above. In some ways I think the site has become too big, and it's hard to get much personalized attention like we got a few years ago when the user base was still comparatively small, hopefully creating a new domain name while still using the old name and assigning specific purposes to each will help divide the traffic up enough that everyone can get on with each other on a more personal level again in each others threads.

I'm just wondering though. If a user logs onto theartdepartment.org's domain and posts a piece of concept art, would it be moved to the conceptart.org domain with a note posted in the original thread redirecting to the other domain, or did I kind of misunderstand what you meant with your explanation of how the domains will be used?
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    The databases are highly organized and personalized. I look forward to showing the stuff as it is readied. Production estimate is 90 days and another 30 for the beta testing.

See you come xmas! ...or before. Will be good though...the layouts are cool too so I think everyone will be happy with what we are doing.

j

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    This is a great thing.
    I love and respect concept art...but for me personally, it's not really my greatest interest and speaking only for myself...that just isn't the kind of art that I do. It's nice to see other industries officially brought into the fold instead of this loose "Well, we welcome all kinds of art...but we are still mostly about concept art" kind of thing we got going on now.

Can't wait to see where it goes...

-D
    You are definitely not speaking only for yourself.

Though now i'm interested to see what you are into >>
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I hate promises without evidence because I get too hyped up and impatient !!!

Thanks
    yeah, some screenies will sooth our worries
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    when I heard the new name, I immediately thought of Irene Gallo
    same here
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    same here
    But then again, there is also an agency with that name. If a domain like that is still free, it will be taken sooner or later, I'd rather CA has it than some lame squatters. You can't stop people using a domain if you don't own it or a trademark for it's name.

Thanks
    I love the sound of this but like Demo I'm so used to conceptart.org as a name. :X I guess a name change _would_ reflect better on what this site is about to become, though.

I also really, really do hope urls will redirect or remain the same because I have a whole closet full of links to useful CA threads.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.