Battle of the Sexes; Gentlemen's Topic Suggestions - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Battle of the Sexes; Gentlemen's Topic Suggestions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GriNGo View Post
    You know how us guys aren't as sensitive as you when it comes to disgusting subjects (gore, violence, etc),
    Calling us womenfolk "sensitive" plays a bit into the stereotype a little. I'm just sayin. I happen to like gore and violence! (sorry, Gringo, not aimed at you anymore, the rest of this is aimed at Peter and a few others who made suggestions) If anything, I'm sensitive to portrayals of violence against women because it is something I live with every day. I have several friends who have been raped or were victims of male-on-female violence and I can't think of anything more disgusting than having to depict something like that for this contest.

I was hoping to get a portfolio piece out of this and I just want to reiterate what Nonie and some others have said about open, somewhat nebulous topics having the most potential. That said, some of these topic suggestions are really awesome (the power play idea sounds particularly kickass!) and I can't wait to see what you guys finally come up with!

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Katfayheirti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After careful deliberations, I have narrowed my choices down to five of which I think would be challenging and fun to do.
    13. Death metal band (or Album cover for...).

50. All seven of the three stooges

51. A movie-style poster (think like Drew Struzan style) of the manliest movie that has ever existed---giant bosoms, chainsaws, blood and vikings (with the optional pirate or ancient jungle relic) thrown in for good measure.

107. Armed to the Teeth

126. Deep Space Hot Rod

I pondered this one, "Male birthing experience", but felt this might be very difficult to portray, however, I was reminded of a certain Native American tribe where they had this strange custom. When the woman is about to have her baby, the father would lie down above her in a bunk-style bed. Strings were attached to his testicles, so the lady could tug at them every time she experienced pain...that way the father could share in the pain of the birthing experience. Needless to say, that tribe went extinct quickly as most couples could only have one child....

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhex View Post
    I'd like to see them make an illustration based on the theme "Pure Power/Might", without the use of a female OR male character, or the human figure in general.

That would be interesting.
    Abstract, ftw!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I leave to get some important things taken care of for a few hours and all fuckin' hell breaks loose!

Both sides--alesoun and I are running this thing and we won't let anything thoroughly stupid get in as a topic on either side. That should be obvious common sense. The idea is to have fun, and more importantly, to get a decent USABLE piece of art out of all the time we put in to the challenge.

Yes, some of the suggestions are stupid and sexist. That's what happens when you mention sex in a bunch of males with the emotional sophistication of a wombat. We simply assume most are meant to get a quick laugh, and have no real hope of getting to the top. As for the two posts I had a lot of trouble with, Tetsuo knew immediately he went over the top and apologized immediately. We all make mistakes. We move on.

Peter, YOU I do NOT understand. After all the discussion of fun and possible sample use in all these threads, you open your shithole and out comes something that gags even me, and I have an extremely high tolerance for gross useless and insulting shit. That doesn't mean I like it, or agree with it, but that I recognize it as soon as I see it, and your bonehead suggestions crossed THAT line by a good bit. I fucking wish you would THINK--ACTUALLY THINK--for .0005 seconds before you "open your mouth."

On behalf of alesoun and I, and all the people who are out there seriously supporting the efforts here and in other challenges around the forum, I apologize for any insult or just plain simple shit tossed into the air that offended anyone anywhere through these threads. Most of us are adults. Many are not, but have learned how to act as adults. And some were just born with their head up their asses and will never realize it has to be removed before anything decent can come out of their mouth.

Again, everybody...my apologies.

Now let's get this back on track with the usual insulting and childish behavior that such serious endeavors require...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm wid you. Puddy Tat! I know that most of the ladies will recognise that almost all of the males here would have way too much respect for themselves and the ladies to give more than a second "wtf" to posts like that.

The idea is that males should handle a topic given by a professional female client, and vice versa.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fight in a Tool Shop (nail guns and sledgehammers?)

I don't see that many cars drawn by women so what about a race (nascar maybe?)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapp! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, how about a hardcore scifi/cyberpunk themed uppgrade on the usual fairytale imaginery? Fairytale character in hard scifi form/Enviroment that complements the character.

I think enviroment with character as a sound challenge in technical sense, and this would make interesting art out of this one.

My topic:

- Fairytale character/s in hard scifi form/Enviroment that complements the character and mood.

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle_Mountain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, seems like the ladies are winning already... I mean, come on!

Some of you are missing the point. Our topic should challenge the ladies to produce AWESOME art, not something crappy. I'd rather have my male butt kicked again, than winning against a pile of shit. Lets find something, that will bring the best auf of the ladies, like Nonie's "turnip murder" last time.

I think the men didn't lose last time, I think that we won by seeing all those great pictures that the ladies did. But I think we will lose now, if we give them a topic, which they simply can't turn into something good.

So what makes a great picture/topic? I think, a piece of art, that evokes some kind of emotion is always a good one. But evoking emotions is really hard. So that should be a challenge to the women. Hard but with great potential outcome. I think I know some ladies around here that are able to pull it off...

My choices of the list are:
    18. Losing
    19. A Great Day to Die
    21. Self-Sacrifice
    27. On the edge
    75. Escape
    114. Three Wishes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tetrodotoxin For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ilae,dunno,is there going to be a poll on topic for us aswell? i think it's safe to say you can set it up now,if that's the case.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, I believe in whatever you pick for us ladies!! I also know (at least for the guys I know) you wouldn't give us something that would make us or anyone else feel awful or insulted. o_o

And I appreciate the heartfelt apology, kitty. I don't think you should have to make one, but that's courtesy right there.

Challenge us like you did the last time, we'll show you fellas!! Or they will, if I'm chicken again. I thought I read "beautiful self-portrait", which would be very hard for ME to do. Personally...to bring myself up in such a way, yep. Very difficult. I'm not hinting, though, just freeloading in the thread!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally think that this whole topic suggestion thread should have been in a private forum like we did with the pinup calendar. That way the trash could have been dealt with in a more civilized manner than a giant flame fest on who is what and how everyone thinks. Things like that on the internet are just recipes for the usual forum disaster.

Also, having private topic suggestions would help keep the *cough* spies *cough* out so when we really let em have it with the topic it would be that more shocking (and no i mean fun shocking not electricity shocking).

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If there was more than one vote, the quantity is beside the topic.

03) Transformers
    13) Death metal band/album cover for
    16) A play on power, being in power or powerless(3)
    18) Losing(3)
    19) A Great Day to Die(5)
    20) Unrequited Love(5)
    21) Self-sacrifice(2)
    24) Fear(2)
    27) On the edge
    33) Polluted Love(3)
    35) Hard liquor and medieval weapons
    36) It's just a flesh wound
    50) All seven of the three stooges(2)
    51) Movie poster of maliest movie(2)
    55) Freudian Slip
    57) Red Death
    61) Nightmare at 20,000 ft
    68) The New Machine
    72) The Neighborhood Bully(3)
    73) Gettting even
    74) Trust(2)
    75) Escape
    82) Teenage boy fantasy
    85) Self portrait at 7am w/out makeup(3)
    89) Witch trial(3)
    106) After the Fall
    107) Armed to the Teeth(2)
    109) Hysteria(2)
    110) The Professional(2)
    114) Three wishes
    116) Mercy(2)
    117) 18hrs of Deliberation
    118) The cheater
    121) surviving the U.S.S Indianapolis(2)
    122) Fubar
    126) Deep Space hot rod
    127) Omnipotent(2)
    128) Breadwinner(3)
    143) Behind every great man...(4)

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A great day to die sounds great.. wish it was our topic... One question for Ilaekae: the ladies have like 30 people interested in participating, we have like 50? the last 20 to suscribe wont participate? or how is that going to be sorted out?

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GriNGo View Post
    A great day to die sounds great.. wish it was our topic... One question for Ilaekae: the ladies have like 30 people interested in participating, we have like 50? the last 20 to suscribe wont participate? or how is that going to be sorted out?
    quality matters, not quantity

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Basically, the way this works is...

1. You sign up in this thread along with your sexual bent so we know how to list you. (Just say "I'm in, and I'm on the Guy's side," or whatever...) No teams other than "Boys" and Girls"--it's a knock down free-for-all with any weapons at hand. We don't even care about the sides being even. We'll take care of that later in the polling.
    Each team will vote on the opposite team's work, and the top 5-6 from each team moves on the final poll where both sides vote to determine the "winner". So it doesn't matter how many is on each side. At least that's how it worked last time (check the Challenge forum if you want to see the threads) and I presume it will work that way again or similar this time.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We've got forty good ones. Poll will be up in short while--doing it now.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.