Battle of the Sexes; Gentlemen's Topic Suggestions - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Sexes; Gentlemen's Topic Suggestions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    God damn that list got long and half of the suggestions were mine.

143. Behind Every Great Man...
    128. Breadwinner
    72. The Neighborhood Bully
    19. A Great Day to Die
    50. All seven of the three stooges

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    16. A play on power. Something where women could express being in power or being powerless
    19. A Great Day to Die
    20. Unrequited Love
    33. Polluted love
    128. Breadwinner

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    unrequited love.
    witch trial.
    fear/terror.
    polluted love.

p.s.: my mind is swirling when reading all those topics...this should become a better fight than last time.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crap!! You guys have LOTS of ideas this time around! O_O *spy* Ummmm...heh heh... Oh, and I must give you awesome kudos for the thought of having a theme that anybody might find difficult.

I recall earlier someone mentioned the nerdy type of woman. That would NEVER work; I slept in a look like that for years! XD Managed to get 4 boyfriends overtime despite the fact, though.

Nice stuff!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    121. Surviving the U.S.S Indianapolis
    20. Unrequited Love
    116. Mercy
    51. A movie-style poster (think like Drew Struzan style) of the manliest movie that has ever existed---giant bosoms, chainsaws, blood and vikings (with the optional pirate or ancient jungle relic) thrown in for good measure.
    89. witch trial

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ostrander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    33) Polluted love
    73)Getting even
    82)Teenage boy fantasy
    118- The cheater
    122) FUBAR

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tetsuo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm A bit late getting in on this, and doubt I'll be able to join the contest, but heres my 2 cents, for what its worth (probably less than 2 cents)

-A depiction of ancient female goddess cults as uncivilised, barbaric, and violent, with patriarchal religious influences (Norse/Germanic, Greco-Roman, Judeo-Christian, Muslem) as a benevolent force; providing order and leading to a civilized society. (Frazetta-esque women in loin cloths sacrificing their own children on altars highly encouraged)

-A work which includes a self portrait of the female artist enjoying a meaningful relationship with this guy.

-A side by side comparison of the greatest creative/inventive acheivement made/thought up by a man next to the same made/thought up by a woman. (It has to be a product of the mind: natural processes of the body do not count)

-Display female circumscision as a good thing... on second thought, please don't.

-A show of masculinity so impressive that it even turns lesbians straight.

Thats all I've got fow now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fear that the talented ladies on this forum would make short work of many of these suggestions. IMHO anything MECHA is the only way to go.

3. Transformers
    121. Surviving the U.S.S Indianapolis
    107. Armed to the Teeth

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AUG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see them make an illustration based on the theme "Pure Power/Might", without the use of a female OR male character, or the human figure in general.

That would be interesting.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dhex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhex View Post
    I'd like to see them make an illustration based on the theme "Pure Power/Might", without the use of a female OR male character, or the human figure in general.

That would be interesting.
    Too easy: Powerful reaperlike skeleton with energy orbs and lightning and stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skeleton=human figure.
    also,boring.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    143: Behind Every great man
    19: Great Way to die
    16: A play on power
    61: Nightmare at 20,000 feet
    85: Self portrait at 7 in the morning without makeup

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    -Display female circumscision as a good thing... on second thought, please don't
    Why post this if even you know it's a bad idea?

I didn't find any of your suggestions very good but this is leaning on really not cool, considering that it still happens today in some places, is very dangerous, and is a very potent symbol of the oppression of women.

Please think before you post next time.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    skeleton=human figure.
    also,boring.
    My bad, I misread, thought the idea was to use human figure without specifying male or female. I stand corrected.

Though i do think that skeletons are anything but boring.

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Why post this if even you know it's a bad idea?

I didn't find any of your suggestions very good but this is leaning on really not cool, considering that it still happens today in some places, is very dangerous, and is a very potent symbol of the oppression of women.

Please think before you post next time.
    While I understand your objection and agree 100% with the thought behind it, the things that I listed were specifically listed because I thought they would on some level or another be something that women absolutely would want nothing to do with. To quote you yourself: "Potent symbols of the oppression of women" ...what better to use in something called "the battle of the sexes." I mean, isn't part of the point to come up with something that the opposite sex would have trouble drawing? That specifically was one of the most disgusting disturbing things that I could think of (your responce alone validates this point)... so much so that I decided to negate the suggestion because I did not want it to be taken literally and end up finding myself viewing picture after picture of mangled vaginas. (Plus, it was something I realised most of us would have trouble with, regardless of sex/gender.)

However I left it up because I still figured it would be something that if pulled off would be a whole new level of shock value that the whole "smear poop on the virgin mary" crowd could only dream of. The artwork in and of itself would in no way actually hurt someone, and if anything, though it would "display female circumscision as a good thing" it would draw attention to the issue, and no matter how it displays the subject I doubt that any attention drawn to female genital disfiguration would be condoning the practice.

Last edited by Peter Coene; August 10th, 2009 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    -A depiction of ancient female goddess cults as uncivilised, barbaric, and violent, with patriarchal religious influences (Norse/Germanic, Greco-Roman, Judeo-Christian, Muslem) as a benevolent force; providing order and leading to a civilized society. (Frazetta-esque women in loin cloths sacrificing their own children on altars highly encouraged)

-A work which includes a self portrait of the female artist enjoying a meaningful relationship with this guy.

-A side by side comparison of the greatest creative/inventive acheivement made/thought up by a man next to the same made/thought up by a woman. (It has to be a product of the mind: natural processes of the body do not count)

-Display female circumscision as a good thing... on second thought, please don't.

-A show of masculinity so impressive that it even turns lesbians straight.
    Posts and suggestions like these were exactly the reason why I stayed out of the last TD too. Coming up with a difficult topic for the female half of CA is not being done by giving them something that will surely insult them, I think. You are writing stuff like this in public, please be aware of that.

Edit: In response to your edit above:

...to Daestwens reply: While I understand your objection and agree 100% with the thought behind it, the things that I listed were specifically listed because I thought they would on some level or another be something that women absolutely would want nothing to do with. To quote you yourself: "Potent symbols of the oppression of women" ...what better to use in something called "the battle of the sexes." I mean, isn't part of the point to come up with something that the opposite sex would have trouble drawing? That specifically was one of the most disgusting disturbing things that I could think of (your responce alone validates this point)... so much so that I decided to negate the suggestion because I did not want it to be taken literally and end up finding myself viewing picture after picture of mangled vaginas. (Plus, it was something I realised most of us would have trouble with, regardless of sex/gender.)

However I left it up because I still figured it would be something that if pulled off would be a whole new level of shock value that the whole "smear poop on the virgin mary" crowd could only dream of. The artwork in and of itself would in no way actually hurt someone, and if anything, though it would "display female circumscision as a good thing" it would draw attention to the issue, and no matter how it displays the subject I doubt that any attention drawn to female genital disfiguration would be condoning the practice.
    This TD is supposed to be fun for everyone. Hard to do, yes, but fun. Your suggestions are rather gross and definately NOT fun to do -unless you actually want to create shocking and vulgar art, which most people usually don't. I'd go so far as to say that your suggestions border on racism against the female half of humanity and/or lesbians.

Last edited by yoitisi; August 10th, 2009 at 06:15 PM.

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Peter: I think you've missed the whole point of the contest. :/ As everyone has been saying, over and over, the object *is not* to disgust us, or to give us something that we would hate drawing (and in that case probably hate ourselves for drawing it). The point is to come up with a topic that is challenging and fun, not insulting and disgusting. Why would we bother playing if that's the spirit behind it?

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    Posts and suggestions like these were exactly the reason why I stayed out of the last TD too. Coming up with a difficult topic for the female half of CA is not being done by giving them something that will surely insult them, I think. You are writing stuff like this in public, please be aware of that.
    I think you are misreading the intent here: It is not my intent to insult women but to see how they would handle a subject that requires them to insult themselves. The ideas are out there, somewhere, and in this case I just collected them expecting that they WOULD be difficult in that working with them would require the artist to get past any of their own moral hangups to create the art. To a certain extent women already have to do this if they are going to work in an industry that often objectifies the female form and marginalizes their significance with confining female characters to roles such as "scantilly clad Amazon" and "seductive sorceress." Therefore seeing as I expect that the women of this forum would already be conditioned to handle this and I would expect nothing less of them in challenging us I figured that ramping up the gutwrenching disgustingness of the possibilities would be neccesary.

Anyone who thinks that I particularly advocate any of those options that I listed as the way society should act or view women needs to have their head examined.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah,it needs repeating: this is for portfolio-grade pieces.
    also,skeletons in themselves are nature's way of saying inner beauty matters too, but with lighting bolts etc. i can only think "campy" (in a bad way).

Sketchbook

Always think about:

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It is not my intent to insult women but to see how they would handle a subject that requires them to insult themselves.
    Promoting them as topics for the challenge is still promoting them, and still just as insulting. Perpetuating ideas because they are "out there" keeps them "out there" rather than doing something positive to make a CHANGE of perception. So yeah, it sure does sound like you don't have a very high opinion of women, Peter. And to be frank, it also makes you sound like an ass.

If this is the spirit of this competition, to be required to insult myself and belittle women in the process, I REFUSE. I'm out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone who thinks that I particularly advocate any of those options that I listed as the way society should act or view women needs to have their head examined.
    Thanks.

I think someone needs some alone time. Cya in a few weeks. Please reconsider your approach to posting on an huge online public forum is my advice.

33. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie
    Both sides should be trying to come up with a topic they'd wish even to be assigned to themselves.
    perfect summary.

edit: oh,ohhhhh i got another one: "sexy selfportrait". and i'm not talking about idealising one's figure.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
    ila how ummm horrible can this be? I mean i know that something many women fear is men. And I dont mean like boyfriend men...i mean like scumbags who would rape them type of men.

So perhaps a rape scene? I mean I would find that hard to depict....but being female...well that would really be hard to swallow.

Ugh...just thinking about that is pretty nasty. I would totally understand if this is crossing the line. If you want me to delete said suggestion I will.
    This VERY much crosses a line, and is NOT something to be made light of. Suggesting it was in poor taste.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The object of this contest is to "think out of the box" by being challenged to handle topics that will stretch us artistically.

We still want to produce art that won't make people lose their lunch. There is an opportunity here to produce pieces that anyone would be happy to show in their portfolios, especially since each gender is suggesting topics that the other might find hard to express and might not normally tackle.

Topics should stretch us artistically, not make us want to throw up. I actually doubt that anyone would vote for a topic that would outrage either sex, so I don't see the point of suggesting one, do you? really?

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked the one with drawing a total nerd with no sense for looks..
    but its too simple yet..

which is why I propose; A self portrait, Full body, in a scene (don't know which yet) in wich THEY HAVE NO FASHION SENSE, A self portrait of themselves as COMPLETE nerds and in some kind of situation that I can't think of.. Auditioning for top model?

I want them to find and Bring out their biggest flaws.. if they dare
    eg. Have a big nose? Let us see just HOW big~

I know all women are conscious about their looks, sometimes it stretches further than just their clothes and hair.

I am in no way trying to be mean, simply 'thinking outside the box'.

Website
    Contact - Quick and easy.
    CA Sketchbook - Sketches, process images, finished work, random banter.
    -------

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Reedux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    OneEyedJack, I would rule that one. Been there, done that and got the "Frankie Says Relax" T-shirt. I just wish I hadn't burned every pic of me in massive shoulder pads.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedJack View Post
    I liked the one with drawing a total nerd with no sense for looks..
    but its too simple yet..

which is why I propose; A self portrait, Full body, in a scene (don't know which yet) in wich THEY HAVE NO FASHION SENSE, A self portrait of themselves as COMPLETE nerds and in some kind of situation that I can't think of.. Auditioning for top model?

I want them to find and Bring out their biggest flaws.. if they dare
    eg. Have a big nose? Let us see just HOW big~

I know all women are conscious about their looks, sometimes it stretches further than just their clothes and hair.

I am in no way trying to be mean, simply 'thinking outside the box'.
    Why not just say "Unflattering self portrait" or "Your biggest flaw" then? A lot of these suggestions are way too specific - stuff that sounds more like a book or song title leave a lot more room to not have a pile of the same single painting over and over.

And yeah about all these topics that are either thinly-veiled insults to women in general or are outright hateful or offensive... Taking a sharper jab in your shit talking can be funny, but things like "Women working for money" shouldn't even be in your poll - wtf, guys. That's not a topic, it's a sexist insult. Funny in conversation, yes, but if something like that gets voted as a topic I'm out too. I'm not even going to discuss the more vulgar or shocking shit. Take a look at the list the girls have compiled, do you see anything insulting or offensive to men in there? If the other side could try to approach the idea with the same amount of respect that'd be nice.

We're trying to make the topic cool and fun for you - show us the same courtesy.

Last edited by nonie; August 10th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

45. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nonie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lets not lose track here, Illy posted the final list to vote on topics for the ladies back on page 2, anyone posting should just pick the best 4-5 that they like from that list to keep this thread moving forward... in the right direction.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ostrander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to side with them broads on this issue. I wouldn't participate if they picked "Gay Porn" or "Boy Band" as a subject. Be tasteful and don't act a douche.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ladies, don't take this brainstorming thread too seriously. If the topic that is voted by the men disturbs you in some way or another, then please, protest when it happens. But doing so right now, it's kinda silly. You know how us guys aren't as sensitive as you when it comes to disgusting subjects (gore, violence, etc), that's just the way guys are. IMO, I also want a more non specific subject to be chosen... but alas, we have to do what everyone votes for in the end.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

51. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    89. witch trial
    110. The Professional
    117. 18 Hours of Deliberation
    127. Omnipotent
    143. Behind Every Great Man

53. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.