Thanks

Is more technology the answer?

Technology is a positive feed back system. When the output of the system increases the system goes at a higher rate. There is no equilibrium in a positive feedback system. Capitalism is such a system.

In a negative feed back system when the output increases the system goes at a slower pace or turns off completely, like the thermostatically controlled home heating furnace. Such a system seeks and maintains equilibrium. Our body is such a system.

As our world population continues to increase we (humanity) face a big question: How will we feed everybody? Until lately, India thought that they had found the answer for creating cheap food for their hundreds of millions.

“Farmers in the state of Punjab abandoned traditional farming methods in the 1960s and 1970s as part of the national program called the "Green Revolution," backed by advisers from the U.S. and other countries.

Indian farmers started growing crops the American way — with chemicals, high-yield seeds and irrigation.

Since then, India has gone from importing grain like a beggar, to often exporting it.

But studies show the Green Revolution is heading for collapse.”

When he Green Revolution was launched 40 years ago framers began to grow only high-yield crops instead of their traditional crops. The new crops required more water than the old crops so that farmers were required to create new wells. These new wells caused the ground water level to fall and the declining level caused the water to become more salty than before. These new wells required better and more expensive pumps, which led to indebtedness by the farmers.

This led to a problem similar to the problem we in the US have recently experienced, i.e. India’s Wall Street equivalent grew fat and happy and farmers accumulated debts that they could not pay. This created a financial “quicksand”.

The new crops demanded much more from the soil and the water wells pumped more salty water because of lowered ground water and the combination destroyed the soil.

During the good years the farmers increased their standard of living and built new homes for their families, thus adding more debt.

"It's like a disease that is catching on in the world," says Suba, "building a life that is like a house of cards."

"The state and farmers are now faced with a crisis…India's population is growing faster than any country on Earth, and domestic food production is vital.

But the commission's director, G.S. Kalkat, says Punjab's farmers are committing ecological and economic "suicide”… Kalkat says only one thing can save Punjab: India has to launch a brand new Green Revolution. But he says this one has to be sustainable.

The problem is, nobody has yet perfected a farming system that produces high yields, makes a good living for farm families, protects and enhances the environment — and still produces good, affordable food.”

India's Farming 'Revolution' Heading For Collapse
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102944731

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I believe these forums might be more appropriate to your tastes and you won't get flamed there for those questions: http://www.ephilosopher.com/news.php

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That is very interesting.

I do think that you are right though. The population of the world will suffer from further problems related to this kind of activity. I mean, the Earth (as strong as she is) cannot sustain an unlimited population growth indefinately. Eventually, we will reach a point where the population MUST start to decline, unless we find a new way to produce more food that is enviromentally friendly, is VERY stable, and sustainable. Without that, some of the population of the world must go away, period. I'm not saying that we should run around and start doing away with people, but if something does not change...the world will change our way of life for us.

Remember a few years ago, global warming was the buzz word. Now, it's climate change. Part of what we have figured out is that we are to blame for part of it, but the Earth lives and breathes....and we are at her mercy. And she is changing...the key is that we have sped up her change...and that could cost some of us dearly.

Thanks
    The solution is easy!! SOLENT GREEN!!!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    I believe these forums might be more appropriate to your tastes and you won't get flamed there for those questions: http://www.ephilosopher.com/news.php
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks
    According to current population forecasts, population aging in the first half of this century should exceed that of the second half of the 20th century. For the world as a whole, the elderly will grow from 6.9% of the population in 2000 to a projected 19.3% in 2050 (Table 1). In other words, the world average should then be higher than the current world record

http://longevity-science.org/Population_Aging.htm

Thanks
    Buy food from Brazil. We are cool.
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Well Colberst, i reply to your question with a question: Where is your sketchbook link?
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjerk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    More technology won't matter much. Whats important is LESS STUPID!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Spam or not, it's still an interesting topic to ponder.

"For every reaction, there is an opposite and equal reaction."

That is true with technology...while life gets improved in one area, there is an opposite and harmful effect in play in another area.
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    "The state and farmers are now faced with a crisis…India's population is growing faster than any country on Earth, and domestic food production is vital.
    Everyone! I have the solution! Stop fucking!
    Or at least pull out.
    Last edited by hippl5; August 7th, 2009 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    More questions are the answer.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    Well Colberst, i reply to your question with a question: Where is your sketchbook link?
    I have no sketchbook link. I am not very good and cannot allow others to discover that fact.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    No amount of technology will save us from using up our resources...

The world population needs some way to gracefully decline.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    No amount of technology will save us from using up our resources...

The world population needs some way to gracefully decline.
    I'm sure our world leaders got something special planned for us...
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    I think that a more sophisticated population can trump a larger role for “poorly thought out technology”.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    You don't need technology to have fun

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2009/08/05

Thanks
    I dread to think how that might have turned out if they'd got it wrong