heavy critiscm wanted!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

heavy critiscm wanted!

hey guys, i've been a lurker for some time now, but finally decided to post here
    this is just a piece i'm doing in photoshop after not drawing digitally for a while. i've kinda had artist block for a while now, lot's of personal life issues, but thats no excuse! anyway, i'm just a beginner, so hit me with all you got. this piece probably has all sorts of problems, and it's missing a point of focus too.there are parts that are obviously not finished yet. thanks to anyone that replies!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    http://jonathanguziart.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

The main issue I see with this image is the lighting. The moon isn't nearly as bright as the sun so you wouldn't get so much radiosity off the water as you would if this was sunlight. Everything ought to be darker. For example:

Name:  ship%20h%20copy-corrections.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  132.1 KB

The clouds would get some light on the side 'facing' the moon, not as much on on their opposite side. The stars around the moon would not seem as intense as their own light would be washed out by the much brighter moon's light.

The cave walls wouldn't get a lot of light from the water's reflections since moonlight is rather weak. Only the stones directly facing the moon would be strongly lit, not the entire cave. Basically, the moon itself should be the brightest object in the image. Everything else is only getting a weak echo of its light.

I hope this helps a bit

Last edited by Sekino; August 6th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thanks for the advice and the quick paintover. It's amazing how it's so easy to not notice such obvious things! Do you have any other advice on making it more interesting? it's looking very boring now...and i'm even thinking about abandoning it completely, but I'm not sure. I thought of adding some type of creature or ship swimming/sailing towards the cave entrance, but I'm not sure if I can pull that off..
    Oh, and by the way I checked your sketchbook, I love your style! especially those funny comics, you really know how to draw comedic gestures and poses. made me lol

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    http://jonathanguziart.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing I notice is the rim lighting its too thin, it's fighting with the forms to try to become the contour. This confuses the eye as to the real location of the silhouette of some of the shape.

Awesome painting, and good mood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Also suggest tightening your highlights. They shouldn't be that thick everywhere - also, I would blend the clouds more with a medium opacity brush. With the moon under them, they should also be darkter towards the top. Look at this picture for reference *Just flip it updside down lmao* And you'll see what I mean. http://barrystock.com/photos/moon_clouds_1_23_08_a.jpg

Blackbird Parfait Sketch Blog~
    O-mie@DA
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    A sword wields no power unless the hand that holds it wields courage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Besides what everyone else said, I think the reflection of the cliffs and rocks in the water are a little off. Since the lighting is diffused across the water, I'd think that the reflections would be a little distorted because of this rippling effect.

Also, don't abandon this. :< It'll be worth your time to see it to the end because of the valuable learning experience.

--------------------------------------------
    "It's pointless to hate people . . ." - Gale from Digital Devil Saga 2

CA Sketchbook | CGHub Gallery | Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding the light source, step outside at night and really observe how the moonlight hits things. It's gonna be that bright, as others have pointed out, and the clouds are going to look really different. If you can, paint what you see.

Otherwise, the main issue with this painting, mainly with the rocks, is that you're too hung up on the lines. Start thinking of those rocks as large shapes with mass. Paint the light and dark areas as shapes, no white lines! Also, keep in mind that the lit areas aren't going to be as bright as the light source- always make them a lower value. Again, life studies will help here .

-Sid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the composition (Great use of the golden spiral in the shape of the arch and the moon) and the mood overall.

You could improve the perspective, though. The rocks at the right side of the picture, specifically, feel very flat because the details all seem to be of equal size, sometimes even getting smaller as they get closer. I think having the rocks and the inside marks and details get larger with perspective would greatly forward the logic of the image.

Also, I think the clouds on the top look a bit off, as they're part soft blurry shapes and part hard-edged shapes. I think you should at least have a gradiation of hardness there, as in my opinion it's a bit awkward as it is.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.