Team CHOW II: Team Horseradish

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Team CHOW II: Team Horseradish

Last edited by Aspectabund; August 7th, 2009 at 02:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Gettin' this party started with a moodboard. A rather happy moodboard, at that. :B

Not really sure what sort of class or species or anything that I want to do yet. I love doing silly backstories so I could have fun doing pretty much anything. I'll do some rough sketches and come back later tonight maybe. C:

Thanks
    Okay, when did "moodboards" come in? I feel like a fucking dinosaur. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic idea. I'm just a little put off by not seeing them, then BAM!, they're everywhere.
    Where gender, character type, and all that jazz is concerned, I could just create a new subject for the 3CH program and randomly generate what character each person would do. I would need a list of characters and classes though. I don't know a whole lot about this type of thing.

Edit: One idea I had was, we could all use symbols for our composition lines. For the evil, an anarchy symbol or a pentagram. Personally, I want to try for a big skull shape as the basis for my composition. As for the good character, I'm not sure. I did find a site though:
    http://www.symbols.com
    I thought it was a pretty cool. An encyclopedia of symbols. Maybe everyone already knows about it.

Last edited by QSeptember5; August 6th, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Hahah, I just saw them in other threads here and said "Damn. That's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?" I imagine that's pretty much what everyone else did too, LOL.

Randomly generating isn't a bad idea. I'd need to think up a list of species though, haha. We aren't limited to the ones in the topic thread, after all. I'm fine with the classes in the topic thread though, they're pretty varied, and we can always tweak them slightly on our own anyway.

I don't know much about this sort of thing either. I imagine we'll figure it out along the way. C:

EDIT: Oop, didn't see your edit. That's a neat idea, didn't know about that symbol site. It would even be a good place to find random symbols to just make clothing more exciting. XD

Thanks
    Check this site out: http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html
    Isn't that fuckin' cool. I was thinking that we might want to use the same basic color schemes for our portraits, good and evil respectively, as another thing to help tie them all together.
    I really dig very light or very dark desaturated skin on characters. I want to use that on the evil portrait. Maybe mix it up a bit. Have a somewhat frostbitten look. I guess I need to start sketching.

Thanks
    So, here's a species list I put together from this wikipedia page and the topic thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...antasy_fiction

elf
    dwarf
    fairy
    golem
    halfling/hobbit
    half elf
    human
    orc
    ogre

It's a pretty short list. I ran along the same lines as the topic thread. Should we expand on it? Include myth?

Well, we may be better off choosing instead of going random. These are the first five results of the "randomly" generated characters:
    male orc fighter
    male ogre fighter
    male half elf healer
    male dwarf fighter
    male elf fighter
    Hardly seems random to me. Oh, and sketch.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    That is so randomly generated I think I may have peed a little bit. :o Welp, there's no harm in picking for ourselves, so long as we don't do the same sort of thing. C: I have my first idea that I like, at any rate. And hooray for cranky mens. Pretty nice depth on him, too, seeing as he's just a head doodle. To be honest I had no idea what you even drew like, seeing as you don't have a sketchbook, lol. Nice surprise, that. C:

I found this pooping awesome creature called a kinnari whilst putzing about. Basically a half-bird, half-hot-chick thing, lol. Not sure what class she'd be - kinnaris dance and basically just look pretty, which could be twisted into some sort of enchantress thing. If it were a RPG, she'd be the one doing all the status effects, like a Green Mage from Final Fantasy I guess.

Anywho, I'll have to draw her face a few more times to make her more unique, and I'll decide if I want to stick with her after that. I, uh, kind of got bored painting her face and she's rather flat-looking. Also, arm failure on the arm to right. :B

Thanks
    Hey guys, Im a bit of a newbie in the CHOW contest (usually in COW) so Ill be trying my best to keep up with you guys.

This is pretty much what I understand from this point:
    - 4 members ; 6 characters ?
    Should we leave two people with the extras or just do two each?

- I like the color scheme idea!

Here are a few alternate character ideas:
    Races: Morpher, Sphinx, Fawn...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ry_creatures#A
    not all humanoid, but still interesting.

Classes: Engineer, Gunner, Elemental, Sharpshooter, Trickster, Dancer/Bard?

Last edited by Lighty; August 7th, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    This is pretty much what I understand from this point:
    - 4 members ; 6 characters ?
    Should we leave two people with the extras or just do two each?
    No ma'am, only 3 characters. 6 portraits. The rules were a bit foggy to me, and apparently to others, as clarification was asked for in the topic thread:

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Never said 6 characters, always said six portraits. ;] so this means at least three characters, two portraits of each, one dark, one light.
    So, basically, we each do one character and two portraits of that same character, one light and one dark. Since three's the minimum, after all, so four characters are fine. And no worries - I've never done any challenges before, haha. Just thought it'd be fun to start on a team one. C:

And I forgot to post another color scheme site I had found a while back - http://colorschemedesigner.com/ It's rather fancy pants, haha.

Thanks
    Aspectabund, thanks. The reason I don't have much work around is, I don't really draw all that much. I don't think I ever did. I go weeks without drawing at all and when I do, it's always a half-assed sketch. Try not to get nervous though, I'm going to do this one. But, my skillset is disproportionate, so prepare for more surprises of the unpleasant variety.
    I like the drawing. It's a great start and I really like the silhouette.

Lighty, there's not much to keep up with. If you read what's posted, you're up. If you don't quite follow something, ask; I know I will. Also, we have to stay in the past, nothing modern. So, gunners and the like are out I think. Hell, just check the topic thread for ideas that were shot down by daestwen in their infancy and use your best judgment. Unless you already were, in which case, just keep doing what you're doing and forget I said anything.

Thanks
    Hi all. Thanks for letting me join. I didn't want to miss out on something like this.

So many ideas floating around. They are really creative and force me to come up with better ideas. Thats a good thing. (I sound like Martha Stewart)

I was thinking maybe we could meet up in chats. MSN, AOL, IRC, etc... That way we can get ideas out and show some of our thought process. I saw some professional threads doing it and thought we could do it too. Its up to you guys.

I'm not much on fantasy myself. Played some random mmorpgs, but never got to serious about them so I'm still pretty new to the genre. I've got some studying to do.

The color scheme is awesome. I'm gonna be using that for more than just this competition.

I'm also like QSeptember5 when it comes to drawing. Sometimes I fall off and don't draw for a couple weeks, but this competition will hold me accountable. Thats why I joined. I've been drawing ever since I heard about it for the past week. Hope I can help bring something interesting to the table.

*edit: Also, I like the myth idea. I was looking up the history of the fantasy genre, and they mentioned it. And I saw QSeptember5 mention it as well. I'll do my research before I make that my official petition.

Thanks
    I wouldn't be opposed to the chat idea as it might be good for brainstorming, but time zones might complicate things a little. I'm on the east coast and I believe aspectabund is too while you and Lighty are on the west coast. Depends on them I suppose.

Judging by the way some people are treating this, it's a little more open-ended then we've been making it. I think that as long as it looks like it belongs in the fantasy genre it'll do. Could be wrong, don't quote me.

Thanks
    Yea. It would make things a little easier instead of having to wait. We could set time aside to chat. Plan ahead pretty much. I have an AOL account: illebillek@aol.com. My MSN is govt_401k@hotmail.com.

And I agree on the open-ended comment. Fantasy isn't strict because a lot of it now consists of random creatures and powers. Just the time frame seems to be the only restriction.

Heres a quick ref sheet. I was trying to think outside the box. Animals for creatures. The lizards and dragons could be used for head dressing and decoration.

I was also thinking maybe the light sided characters were fighting against the reign of a dragon allegiance (the dark sided characters). So the light side wears dragon skulls and uses their scales for armour. The dark side uses dark rocks and metals for armour. Just random thoughts. Not fully thought out. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Actually, I'm East Coast too (GMT -5). But I sort of keep hours as if I'm living on the West Coast, lol - usually go to bed at 3am (earliest) and wake up at eleven or noonish. :B

And yeah, looking at what everyone else is doing, I've seen Yetis and fishpeople and things, so it looks pretty loose to me. I do recall daestwen saying nothing too modern or sci fi for this particular prompt - sort of medieval era, but of course not limited to the European knightly sort of thing.

Back in a bit with some more sketches. C:

EDIT: Whoop, didn't see you sneak that post in, Dia. XD A lizard-inspired headress could look rather cool, imo. And lol, what does that girl in the top right have on her head? Looks a bit like a transparent headcrab. XD

EDIT #2: Guys, I just had an idea. What if we gave all our guys armor that sort of matched, as if they were in the same army? And then the evil version of them could be them on the other side, with more sinister armor?

Last edited by Aspectabund; August 7th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks
    Well, if we get together in a chat I'm going to need to know what messaging program to download since I don't have one installed. Not a problem, just saying I need to install one.
    I'm okay with somewhat matching armor. It'll need to be badass though. I don't want to draw it if it's not badass.
    Does Lighty ever check the thread or does she have...one of those...life...things?

Thanks
    Haha, I have no clue what kind of head dress that is. I saw her clothing and her pose and tossed in the mix.

I like the idea of same armor. We should give them a mini back story so we can get a feel of there clothing and accessories. That way what they wear has more purpose. It also helps set the mood of what facial expressions to use and what environment to put them in.

Here is a very quick sketch of a barbarian warrior class. Big and buff with a dragon shield. Was gonna toss in a sword, but not too keen on what it should look like. Will probably do a value sketch too. I haven't researched how armor works so I don't know how to lay it on. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Talking Here is a really long post

(10:14:31 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    Basically, we could make the good guys the most self-centered pricks in the universe, and the bad guys the reasonable ones.

Okay, so, QSeptember5 and I just had a couple-hours-long chat, the length partly due to our failed attempts to get Opencanvas paintchat working. XD What follows is the summarized result of bouncing ideas off of each other, in regards to the direction the two of us would like to take this CHOW into.

We were trying to keep away from the "this is a bad guys, you can tell because he looks like one," approach, and come up with something unique that none of the other teams would be doing. I mean, there's going to be LOADS of awesome art in this competition, and what's going to make them stand out in the end is the ideas behind them. You can make something as pretty as you like it to be, but if the idea behind it is crap, it doesn't really even matter.

Also, a caveat: this will probably sound at times like I HAVE DECIDED THIS IS WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO SO STUFF IT, but I swear that's not what I'm thinking! These are just thoughts, and if you have better ones that are entirely different from this then tell us! As well, this is just a quick pass - the details are fuzzy, some things will be trashed entirely, and if all of us somehow like this then suggestions are not only welcome, but necessary!

I put asterisks in case you wanted to take a pee break without losing your spot, LOL.

So here we go!

It made sense to me to describe to you guys what I was thinking in the same way QSeptember5 received it. It happens to be a cat-squashing metaphor. :B It begins just after I mentioned to QSept that Janaschi and Algenpfleger and were competing as a team in this. I had provided links to some of the art they had done.

(9:59:49 PM) QSeptember5:
    We're going to get destroyed.
    (10:00:17 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    LOL, that's what I mean. WE MUST HAVE GOOD BACKSTORIES.
    (10:00:27 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    I've always wanted to do a spoof of the good guy perspective... "we are the main characters. Therefore we are the good guys, even when we do bad guy stuff. And are always right."
    (10:00:55 PM) QSeptember5:
    I like it. Instances?
    (10:02:11 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    Harry Potter. Sure, they're the good guys, but they use the supposedly "Unforgivable" curses on people and IT'S OKAY because they're the good guys.
    (10:03:05 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    A lot of video games too. Any time you're wandering through a forest killing random things THAT WOULDN'T HAVE BOTHERED YOU if you hadn't been on their turf in the first place.
    (10:03:59 PM) QSeptember5:
    So, like a good guy rescuing a cat up a tree for a child, crushing the cat in the process, and getting angry with the child for crying?
    (10:04:22 PM) QSeptember5:
    Or just standing there in a heroic pose while they sob.
    (10:05:34 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    No no, more like rescues his OWN cat, squashing the small child's cat in the process. And we probably don't even get to see the kid's reaction to this, because we are told it doesn't matter. The main guy's cat is more important.
    (10:06:17 PM) QSeptember5:
    I love it.
    (10:06:39 PM) QSeptember5:
    What would the bad guys be like then?
    (10:08:22 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    Oh, they'd be the people complaining that he does stuff like squash other people's cats. Don't they realize that he is the main character? Everything he does is completely excusable.
    (10:09:34 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    And also probably people who have had their pets squashed, trying to prevent him from squashing everyone else's.
    (10:10:05 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    Basically, anyone who prevents him from doing what he wants.
    (10:10:43 PM) QSeptember5:
    Like an evil beast master class surrounded by squashed animals.
    (10:11:28 PM) Deven (Aspectabund):
    Looking completely innocent.

After our chat I went and had a cup of tea and then sat down to rationalize further. This entire section that follows could use more detailing... and also sounds far too serious, lol. That was another thing QSept and I talked about - doing this with a sense of humour about it.

The Good Guys - The bad guys.
    The Bad Guys - The good guys.

The Good Guys are those that are arrogant enough to label themselves as such. They believe themselves to be benevolent and kind even while they are stepping on others to achieve their goals. Oddly enough, their goals are ever-changing, but this does not prevent them from thinking that they are always correct. Anything they do is justified simply because it is them doing them. It is only possible to make them hesitate by putting them in a situation in which they might suffer the scorn of their peers. They cannot be reasoned with.

The Bad Guys are those unfortunate enough to have somehow evoked the ire of the Good Guys, whether it be purposeful or accidental. Some are reluctant members of this group and fight the Good Guys as a matter of survival. Others are proud and passionate, outraged by the evil actions of the Good Guys which always seem to go unpunished. They do not pretend even to themselves that their actions are correct, but they recognize that such actions are necessary. Their main weakness is their ability to feel guilt.

Basically, what this means visually is that you would be having evil people wearing what we would typically associate with the good eyes, and good guys trapped in bad guyish attire.

With QSept, I was trying to rationalize in my mind how each character could somehow be portrayed separately as good and evil by these terms. I came up with the idea that we could pretend we are designing characters for a "good or evil?" moral choice sort of video game, like Black and White, Fable, Bioshock, Infamous, etc. So there would be one chain of events or choices that would lead the character to be one way or the other. It's sort of an alternate reality kind of thing, really.

I'm still incredibly foggy on the setting though. The only things I could come up with is a self-righteous, unfair government vs revolutionaries, or oppressive country vs oppressed country.

Finally, another little thing that QSept brought up:

(10:38:52 PM) QSeptember5:
    Right on. Okay, one more little thing. I just remembered something I was thinking about a few days ago. If we can connect the portraits we could have them breaking frame.
    (10:39:52 PM) QSeptember5:
    Like you'd look and the good guy's portrait would be empty save for a background and then over in the bad guys, he'd be dragging the good guy off.
    (10:40:05 PM) QSeptember5:
    Or pounding him in a corner.
    (10:40:15 PM) QSeptember5:
    I don't know.

Not sure how doable this is, but I like the idea of having them interacting with each other somehow, even if it's just with looks and posture.

Well, I think I'm done now, haha. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QSeptember5 View Post
    Does Lighty ever check the thread or does she have...one of those...life...things?

Eh. Sure, you could say that.
    OKAY, sorry I haven't been around when you guys are. :/
    Heres my messangers:
    AIM: Lightmik3000
    MSN: Lightmik3000@hotmail.com

Heres a quick idea I had... not sure if she falls under good or evil, with the idea you guys had? Although, I had "sour hero" in my mind while drawing that expression.

Last edited by Lighty; August 8th, 2009 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks
    I forgot to ask what your guy's IMs were...?

edit: I'm loving the face shot Lighty. I looks like shes saying "for reals?". Haha, awesome.

Thanks
    Sorry for the double post. I was typing in this box before I realized it.

I love the idea of good guys = bad guys and vise versa. Now we just need a theme and a backstory.

Thanks
    As Aspectabund was saying, we need to go a different route. Playing their game will result in annihilation. There's no way we can win it that way.

I'm just joking with you, Lighty. No one expects this to consume your days. It's a contest, not a job. I like the portraits. Nice texture on the shirt. That's definitely something I don't use often enough.

MSN: qseptember5@yahoo.com

Now, we just need to set aside a time to be on, one that wouldn't interfere with anyone's schedule. To be perfectly honest, I'm wide open.

Thanks
    Ok. I work at random times so I'll try my best to get on when you guys are. I'll tell you my work schedule too so that we have a better time frame to work with. I work today from 1-930pm so I wont be on all day. Plus I have some church stuff I gotta do today, so I'm completely booked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QSeptember5 View Post
    I'm just joking with you, Lighty. No one expects this to consume your days. It's a contest, not a job. I like the portraits. Nice texture on the shirt. That's definitely something I don't use often enough.
    Ahh, ok. xD I think it was my own bit of guilt that made me nervous hahah.

Ok, well Im pretty clear schedule-wise! Any time is good but might I suggest like 5-8, 6-9ish? We've got around 3 hours difference.

Also is there a certain program or application we can use to all draw together at the same time while chatting? I know paintchat and opencanvas but I don't know whats better for you guys.

Thanks
    I've been researching it and two good choices are:
    http://www.twiddla.com/ or http://www.iscribble.net/

I believe Twiddla is a little lower on the quality end, but iScribble requires a signup. Everyone could just check for themselves. Put it to vote. Here's a list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_chat

Edit: Paintchat would probably be okay, just not openCanvas. I'm pretty sure we're done with openCanvas. Another one to consider is http://www.warpaint.se/ Though this requires the use of openCanvas, installation of the program, and installation of Java Runtime Environment(or something to that effect).

Another Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Um, think of it as two different paths the same person could take. Not necessarily raised any differently, but a culmination of choices to lead the person down two very different roads. At least, this is the minimum you need to do.

If you would like to give a more complicated reason, that's fine, but they should be the same person, kind of like a dark mirror.
    Uh-ohs.

Last edited by QSeptember5; August 8th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Hokay, since I was quoted I better explain.

Almost everything I've said in regards to this question is the BARE MINIMUM that you must present. I consider the above to be the easiest way to present a light/dark side for one character, but if you would like to have a complicated world I am by no means trying to limit you. :]

I just don't want people seeing really complicated stuff and feeling like they have to do it for the contest. You don't. But if you *want* to then please do!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just going to leave this here...

Thanks
    @Daestwen: Haha, thanks for clearing that up for us. It'll be interesting seeing how everyone handles it/if they worry about it much. XD

@QSeptember5: Am trying out some paintchat things as we speak; be back in a little bit with some reccommendations.

@Lighty: I like that girl you have up there - the colour scheme of the bright one is very cool. C: And hooray, armor dump! We'll have to play with that - not sure how far we want to push the armor in regards to good/evilness.

Last edited by Aspectabund; August 8th, 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks
    What if...and bear with me...what if the good guys are mentally handicapped? That's why they do the things they do and get away with it. People are just like, "Oh, well isn't that sweet?" and the bad guys are just normal people that are sick of everyone being so accepting of the abusive handicapped.

Edit: Mood video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7oGx2dImE8

Last edited by QSeptember5; August 8th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    @QSeptember: Um. Uh. That is so ridiculous I don't know how to respond. XD I will try for logic: How can a character make certain choices in their life that result in them being EITHER mentally handicapped or of ordinary mental skills? These are the same people don't forget.

So, uh, no? You made me laugh though. XD You could always have one character be mentally handicapped when he's good and evil though. And, on the good side, he rises to the top ranks and people "aw" at him. Or, more likely, don't question him because that could be construed as a bias against handicapped people. Which would make him kill you.

Golly, the two of us are VERY politically correct. Anyway, on to paintchat apps! The ones not listed here were either very basic or very dumb (one wouldn't let you use the paintchat until a few weeks after signing up. Wut?)

Niko's Paintchat: need to sign up. Oekaki-like interface (er, if any of you have used that before), but more advanced tools than an Oekaki. Can blend and stuff

Queeky Multidraw: this one's interesting. It has layers and several layer types (like multiply and overlay). You can change opacity of brushes and erasers, some linemaking tools. A very interesting smudge tool, that moves around the paint very nicely. Need to sign up for this as well (free).

They aren't bad, but I would very much prefer to get Opencanvas working. I found something called Hamachi that is supposed to solve the problem of routers.

QSept, are you on right now and willing to try and get Opencanvas working again? XD

EDIT: OH GOD THAT VIDEO. This is not the same thing, but equally weird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPlmEHo9QQ

Last edited by Aspectabund; August 8th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks
    Uhhhhhhh... Maybe... Do you have any new ideas for getting it to work?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.