Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Team CHOW II: Team Horseradish

Last edited by Aspectabund; August 7th, 2009 at 02:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Gettin' this party started with a moodboard. A rather happy moodboard, at that. :B

Not really sure what sort of class or species or anything that I want to do yet. I love doing silly backstories so I could have fun doing pretty much anything. I'll do some rough sketches and come back later tonight maybe. C:

Thanks
    Okay, when did "moodboards" come in? I feel like a fucking dinosaur. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic idea. I'm just a little put off by not seeing them, then BAM!, they're everywhere.
    Where gender, character type, and all that jazz is concerned, I could just create a new subject for the 3CH program and randomly generate what character each person would do. I would need a list of characters and classes though. I don't know a whole lot about this type of thing.

Edit: One idea I had was, we could all use symbols for our composition lines. For the evil, an anarchy symbol or a pentagram. Personally, I want to try for a big skull shape as the basis for my composition. As for the good character, I'm not sure. I did find a site though:
    http://www.symbols.com
    I thought it was a pretty cool. An encyclopedia of symbols. Maybe everyone already knows about it.

Last edited by QSeptember5; August 6th, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Hahah, I just saw them in other threads here and said "Damn. That's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?" I imagine that's pretty much what everyone else did too, LOL.

Randomly generating isn't a bad idea. I'd need to think up a list of species though, haha. We aren't limited to the ones in the topic thread, after all. I'm fine with the classes in the topic thread though, they're pretty varied, and we can always tweak them slightly on our own anyway.

I don't know much about this sort of thing either. I imagine we'll figure it out along the way. C:

EDIT: Oop, didn't see your edit. That's a neat idea, didn't know about that symbol site. It would even be a good place to find random symbols to just make clothing more exciting. XD

Thanks
    Check this site out: http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html
    Isn't that fuckin' cool. I was thinking that we might want to use the same basic color schemes for our portraits, good and evil respectively, as another thing to help tie them all together.
    I really dig very light or very dark desaturated skin on characters. I want to use that on the evil portrait. Maybe mix it up a bit. Have a somewhat frostbitten look. I guess I need to start sketching.

Thanks
    So, here's a species list I put together from this wikipedia page and the topic thread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...antasy_fiction

elf
    dwarf
    fairy
    golem
    halfling/hobbit
    half elf
    human
    orc
    ogre

It's a pretty short list. I ran along the same lines as the topic thread. Should we expand on it? Include myth?

Well, we may be better off choosing instead of going random. These are the first five results of the "randomly" generated characters:
    male orc fighter
    male ogre fighter
    male half elf healer
    male dwarf fighter
    male elf fighter
    Hardly seems random to me. Oh, and sketch.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    That is so randomly generated I think I may have peed a little bit. :o Welp, there's no harm in picking for ourselves, so long as we don't do the same sort of thing. C: I have my first idea that I like, at any rate. And hooray for cranky mens. Pretty nice depth on him, too, seeing as he's just a head doodle. To be honest I had no idea what you even drew like, seeing as you don't have a sketchbook, lol. Nice surprise, that. C:

I found this pooping awesome creature called a kinnari whilst putzing about. Basically a half-bird, half-hot-chick thing, lol. Not sure what class she'd be - kinnaris dance and basically just look pretty, which could be twisted into some sort of enchantress thing. If it were a RPG, she'd be the one doing all the status effects, like a Green Mage from Final Fantasy I guess.

Anywho, I'll have to draw her face a few more times to make her more unique, and I'll decide if I want to stick with her after that. I, uh, kind of got bored painting her face and she's rather flat-looking. Also, arm failure on the arm to right. :B

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Hey guys, Im a bit of a newbie in the CHOW contest (usually in COW) so Ill be trying my best to keep up with you guys.

This is pretty much what I understand from this point:
    - 4 members ; 6 characters ?
    Should we leave two people with the extras or just do two each?

- I like the color scheme idea!

Here are a few alternate character ideas:
    Races: Morpher, Sphinx, Fawn...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ry_creatures#A
    not all humanoid, but still interesting.

Classes: Engineer, Gunner, Elemental, Sharpshooter, Trickster, Dancer/Bard?

Last edited by Lighty; August 7th, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    This is pretty much what I understand from this point:
    - 4 members ; 6 characters ?
    Should we leave two people with the extras or just do two each?
    No ma'am, only 3 characters. 6 portraits. The rules were a bit foggy to me, and apparently to others, as clarification was asked for in the topic thread:

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Never said 6 characters, always said six portraits. ;] so this means at least three characters, two portraits of each, one dark, one light.
    So, basically, we each do one character and two portraits of that same character, one light and one dark. Since three's the minimum, after all, so four characters are fine. And no worries - I've never done any challenges before, haha. Just thought it'd be fun to start on a team one. C:

And I forgot to post another color scheme site I had found a while back - http://colorschemedesigner.com/ It's rather fancy pants, haha.

Thanks
    Aspectabund, thanks. The reason I don't have much work around is, I don't really draw all that much. I don't think I ever did. I go weeks without drawing at all and when I do, it's always a half-assed sketch. Try not to get nervous though, I'm going to do this one. But, my skillset is disproportionate, so prepare for more surprises of the unpleasant variety.
    I like the drawing. It's a great start and I really like the silhouette.

Lighty, there's not much to keep up with. If you read what's posted, you're up. If you don't quite follow something, ask; I know I will. Also, we have to stay in the past, nothing modern. So, gunners and the like are out I think. Hell, just check the topic thread for ideas that were shot down by daestwen in their infancy and use your best judgment. Unless you already were, in which case, just keep doing what you're doing and forget I said anything.

Thanks
    Hi all. Thanks for letting me join. I didn't want to miss out on something like this.

So many ideas floating around. They are really creative and force me to come up with better ideas. Thats a good thing. (I sound like Martha Stewart)

I was thinking maybe we could meet up in chats. MSN, AOL, IRC, etc... That way we can get ideas out and show some of our thought process. I saw some professional threads doing it and thought we could do it too. Its up to you guys.

I'm not much on fantasy myself. Played some random mmorpgs, but never got to serious about them so I'm still pretty new to the genre. I've got some studying to do.

The color scheme is awesome. I'm gonna be using that for more than just this competition.

I'm also like QSeptember5 when it comes to drawing. Sometimes I fall off and don't draw for a couple weeks, but this competition will hold me accountable. Thats why I joined. I've been drawing ever since I heard about it for the past week. Hope I can help bring something interesting to the table.

*edit: Also, I like the myth idea. I was looking up the history of the fantasy genre, and they mentioned it. And I saw QSeptember5 mention it as well. I'll do my research before I make that my official petition.

Thanks
    I wouldn't be opposed to the chat idea as it might be good for brainstorming, but time zones might complicate things a little. I'm on the east coast and I believe aspectabund is too while you and Lighty are on the west coast. Depends on them I suppose.

Judging by the way some people are treating this, it's a little more open-ended then we've been making it. I think that as long as it looks like it belongs in the fantasy genre it'll do. Could be wrong, don't quote me.

Thanks
    Yea. It would make things a little easier instead of having to wait. We could set time aside to chat. Plan ahead pretty much. I have an AOL account: illebillek@aol.com. My MSN is govt_401k@hotmail.com.

And I agree on the open-ended comment. Fantasy isn't strict because a lot of it now consists of random creatures and powers. Just the time frame seems to be the only restriction.

Heres a quick ref sheet. I was trying to think outside the box. Animals for creatures. The lizards and dragons could be used for head dressing and decoration.

I was also thinking maybe the light sided characters were fighting against the reign of a dragon allegiance (the dark sided characters). So the light side wears dragon skulls and uses their scales for armour. The dark side uses dark rocks and metals for armour. Just random thoughts. Not fully thought out. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1