Sketchbook: tdHendrix's Sketchbook (2D/3D) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tdHendrix's Sketchbook (2D/3D)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went to another figure drawing workshop. Got off to a rough start, but I can feel that I'm starting to get better. I'm just focusing on the body right now. I wanna be able to draw the whole figure before I concentrate on the face. Monday's workshop I focused on finishing the whole figure no matter what, but for this workshop I slowed down and took my time more without worrying so much if I finished the whole figure. Gonna go to a Clothed Figure Drawing workshop tomorrow (today now) and another nude figure drawing workshop on Friday.

Had my Intro to Anatomy class today. Have to draw a full page rendered picture of a ribcage and another of the pelvis taking up a whole 8.5x11 inch paper each. It's due in 2 weeks, so maybe I'll post a WIP of it. If you can give me critiques as I go that'd be appreciated. I'm gonna try out toned paper with pencil and white charcoal. I saw a guy's homework that took the same class from last semester and that medium looked really cool.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Touchdown Hendrix!

Cool. Now you have 6 points! Here comes the P.A.T.

The studies from Structure of Man look good; I bought that DVD set... but damn. Wish they weren't DVD-Rs... those are going to go south. Proper DVDs would have been better. Oh well. Side track.

Drawing from the model is HARD innit?

One piece of advice; don't be shy. Seriously. I found that at the beginning that I was uncomfortable staring at the model... and so would only take quick glimpses and "guess" the rest of the time. Don't. STARE Yes, it's nice to STARE. Try to feel the attitude of the model. Feel tension. Feel relaxation where things are relaxed. Certain muscles are contracted. Certain muscles are relaxed. Feel all of that.

I know that sounds fruity... but it works. It seems to put you in the right mindset to do it.

Good luck in school!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man stuff is looking better and better
    Keep it up, and think of proportion and draw what you see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great figures, they seem to be improving fast too, keep it up, oh and maybe you could check out posemaniacs, plenty of great figures to draw there, keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some makeup stuff tonight. The first 2 pics are of me and some stuff I did for practice. The rest is my homework that I did on my friend. Had to turn someone into a homeless, drug addict, or sick person. I did drug addict. It was almost 3am when I finished and me and a few of my friends went outside to smoke and he was acting like he was drugged out. It was so funny, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Might as well show y'all this. This was my final for my stop motion class during my first semester, so this was done about a year to a year and a half ago. Check it out on YouTube if you wanna see it.

@p sage: Yea, it's hard. Don't worry, I'm not shy about looking at the models anymore Last semester I had two 5 hour classes where I had to stare at naked people, so I'm used to it by now. My sculpting teacher would make us walk up close to the model to look at stuff. I know what you mean though, at first it was weird cause you're not used to staring at a stranger, let alone a naked one. You're starting to sound like Vilppu, haha. I'll try to feel the poses next time I figure draw, I'm sure it helps.

@rogerb: Thanks. Drawing what you see sounds so easy, yet it's so hard at first. We have a tendency to draw things the way we think they should be and not what we see.

@The man with no name: Thanks man. Sometimes I draw from posemaniacs. It's so hard to draw some of those crazy angles! It's good cause you don't see the models from those perspectives in figure drawing.

Uuugh, got Clothed Figure Drawing in 3 hours and haven't slept yet and it's a 5 hour class

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow dude,, this stuff i freakky! :p its cool though ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, that's fucking sweet man, such a weird but really interesting thing to be doing.
    With your figure drawing stuff, whoever said stare at the model is right. You should be looking at the model for more time than you spend drawing it. Got to familiarise yourself with the contours and shapes and things on or in the body.

Peace
    Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAAMn dude is that a real wound? looks nasty

Good job.

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thanks everyone. This week we gotta do 50's or 60's style makeup on someone, so no creepy stuff this week

Must....work on....legs and arms. Right now I think clothed people are harder to draw than naked ones. It's funny to see these drawings from Monday cause in class I thought I was sucking so bad, but I don't think they're as bad as I thought. Most are from Clothed Figure Drawing, the rest are from Intro to Anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh mann ur doing it !! Very great,, i can see u are starting to feel the form :o!

If you get the chance.. try to draw the model from above :o stand on a chair or table or something! :o if you do you will even start to feel it better! draw from imagination aswell man! KEEP IT UP!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I don't think I'll be able to stand on something in the class, haha. I try to draw poses from my head, but nothing too good yet. I think in 2-3 months I'll be better at it.

In Clothed Figure Drawing we have to draw 4 poses of a character or person and then draw one pose that's drawn nice, then do another nice drawing of the same pose except with clothes on. It's due Monday, so I gotta learn how to draw faces fast

The first pic is a WIP of one of my 4 poses. Still working on how to do her left arm and her hands. The ref I was using from Posemaniacs has the arm in a different pose. How do the proportions look and should I do more to the face?

The second pic is a WIP of the ribs we have to draw in Intro to Anatomy. Only need to shade it now. Still gotta draw the pelvis, but that's due Wednesday, so I have plenty of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh good good... the pose is also good :o
    Just think about the muscles underneath her arm.. ( the wings) If the raises her arm like that they tend to come out more so you get les of an 90 degree angle there :o
    Also look into the shoulder muscles ( stand infront of a mirror and do the pose you are making. Ofc ur a man so u got more muscles but you'll see that the shoulder raises up closer to the neck... ) If i could explain it to you in dutch it wouldve been so much easier

I'll try -if i have time- to redraw ur pose and try to let you see where it goes wrong.
    A great way to learn poses is to draw from photos from naked peopless ^^ and then draw they without their skin, so line where the muscles run and bones stick out...

Anyway good progress ur making! MAKE ME PROUD ON MONDAY! )))

And ill try to redraw that pose. if i have time and not to much arm pain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got Marko Djurdjevic's Marvel art book today!!!! It's amazing!!!! Woohooo!!!!! Ok, now I know I drank too much caffeine, lol. Spent too much time reading it and looking at the purdy pictures and now I gotta move my ass and bust out more drawings for homework that's due in 32 hours. No sleeping tonight and depending on how fast I go, maybe no sleeping the next night. I think I do my best art when I'm tired of out of it anyway

I also got Art & Fear. I only read about 30 pages, but it seems really good so far. I also got my own copy of Bridgeman's Constructive Anatomy and my teacher's anatomy book. Her book is really good. Check it out if you want a new anatomy book.

The first pic is the second figure I'm gonna go with. I think I need to make the right thigh and knee area a bit bigger. Actually, I think I should keep that leg the same size and bring the left side of her hip in more, and make her left leg smaller maybe? Something feels off with her torso/head, but I'm not sure what. Can someone critique the pose so far? I think I need to move her head to the left more?

I bought a calligraphy brush/pen thing today. The 2nd pic is my first attempt to create something with it. I used ref for the pose, and then added a few extra things. I tried using a circle guide to make the little black circles on the right, but it's hard to use the circle guide with the brush, so I free handed the ones on the left. I messed up a lot of stuff, but that's ok, was just practice. The smeared dull black lines are me trying to erase my mistake with my Witeout pen.

Last edited by tdHendrix; September 27th, 2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: changed my text

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff :o the figure drawing improvement here is rly amazing :X

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dank je wel, roger!

First pic is me trying to quickly draw a pose from my head from 2-3 days ago and yes, I gave her armpit hair, lol. I think I could draw legs on it now, but I'd rather just do new drawings than mess with it.

Second pic is my initial idea on what to do for my nice pose. It was for practice so I tried to do it quick without worrying too much about getting the proportions perfect. We only have to draw the pose, but I don't think this pose is as cool without atleast a little environment.

She's a woman that lost someone important because of the guy around the corner. After years of tracking the guy down for vengeance, this is when she finds him, so she takes off her mask because she wants him to know who is about to kill him. I need to find reference for how the mask will look, so I just put a placeholder.

When I do it for real I hope to show an anxious/nervous expression on her face, but I don't have much practice drawing heads/faces yet so I'm not sure if I can pull it off. I wanted the shading on the wall that comes from her head to represent her vision. I'm gonna make it thinner since she's gonna have tunnel vision from her adrenaline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I'm gonna go with for now. We have up to 2 weeks after each assignment to resubmit work to get a better grade. The pose at the top right I totally messed up the torso and did the face very quick. It looks weird but oh well.

For the nice drawing I started on the clothes wearing woman and then just traced the body out real fast. I didn't really finish, but that's ok. I planned on to keep working on it anyway and resubmit it later.

For the last 2 pics, I think the eyes are too high up. It looks weird on the naked woman, but I like it on the clothes wearing one. I made her a native american woman in the story I made up for her. I extended the shadow so her gun is pointing at the head of her enemy's shadow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marko's book is properly awesome!
    Your anatomy construction is coming along well man, keep at it, and keep up the critical analysis of your sketches, it will help you no end and encourage you not to repeat mistakes.
    It looks like you may be making your legs a little short in some sketches,

Peace
    Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude good to see you working hard to get it done..

i gotta agree with danlambert, you are making your legs quite short.
    Its okay though, cuz as soon as YOU become aware of it You will start improving on it..
    I'm sure if you felt the props where off you would've changed it.. right?

You gotta search for that feeling of rightness..(if thats even a word)
    And it will come in time and practice.
    I do know they vary on every individual but its always good to draw from 'Standard' 8head.
    And then change the proportions a little to create individuals
    Something like that? ...

Also, you gotta look into forshortening.
    Especially on your last pose here.. her right leg looks off.
    Try to make good use of your eyes when you are forshortening limbs.
    They most of the time already tell you if you are doing something wrong.
    Easy way to make it even clearer is to put your drawing infront of a mirror.
    This will make your mistake very clear! Since you kinda 'refresh' your picture for your brain.

Hope im not discourage you,,, cause its not meant that way.. ur making great progress!
    And it will only go faster the more time and knowledge you put into it

So dont waste time! DRAWDRAWDRAWWWW !

*oh PS: A good way to forshorten is to visualise the form in 3d in your mind and apply it to paper.. *this must be Freakin vague right now..*
    But when you forshorten consider the WHOLE form..

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im sorry i made it even worse now.. XD i didnt feel so sure im good at explaining things in english so maybe this helps....
    tdHendrix's Sketchbook (2D/3D)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critiques. I redrew that leg and foot so many times. I picked the foreshortened poses cause they would be a challenge. I think legs are my weakest area right now in figure drawing. I'm gonna do some studies focused on the legs soon.

Here's a small update.

On Sunday, I stayed up 30 hours working on the homework with the figures and ended up sleeping through 2 alarms and missed class. So all that work and still got a zero and I didn't like the way any of them turned out. Then I worked through the night on Tuesday for Wednesday's homework. After all that I got a little burnt out, but now I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't remember where I heard about this, but there was a pottery class where the teacher divided the class into 2 halves. One half had to work on quantity and do as much pottery as they could and their grade was based on how much weight in pottery they made at the end of the semester. The other half had to make only one piece of pottery, but it had to be perfect. The students that worked on quantity and made a lot of pottery ended up improving the most, so that's the approach I'm gonna try with heads.

I wanna hurry up and get all my bad head drawings out of the way, so I'm gonna do a bunch of Loomis heads. I'll post what I have so far in case anyone notices something I keep doing wrong so I can work on it when I finish the rest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha that story about the pottery is partly true..

You will improve faster if you produce more,, thats true, but you DO have to pay attention to everyone you make, so you keep learning from it and discover how you can do thinks better.

I think this counts for drawing to,, if you figure draw 2 figures a day but you dress them up and render them all the way,, they still kinda suck though everyone would ofcourse say they are good cause it is just lame to blow off all the work you've put in, but if you'd figure draw 20 poses but you dont even put a face on them, be assured that when the time comes that you have to do a fully rendered one, it will look alot better.

All with all practice makes perfect!
    And the only way you are ever going to get really good at it, is to keep practicing hard.
    Dont over do it though, staying up 30 hours wont get you anywhere
    But it does show ur motivation/dedication on the subject so that great

Keep it up!

Now to give some critiques on the faces you made:

The porportions are pretty off, i'd suggest to fill ur page with only 3/4 faces but really big ones.
    This way its alot easier for you to see if you doing it wrong.
    The perspective on the features make you heads look a little weird.
    you btw, dont HAVE to put eyes and such on the faces to practice the posistion of the head.. Try some crashdummy dolls
    Hope this helps you in any way!

Keep it up man! GOGOGO!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a great attitude man. I think the quality vs quantity argument is an interesting one, and one I'm constantly wrestling with. I think the best thing to do it is do the pages and pages of head constructions (be sure to do lots of reffed ones as well or you will likely just keep repeating the same mistakes), but also balance it alongside maybe one long careful study. A method I use it use the quick studies and stuff to nail construction, and the longer ones to tackle value.
    With regards to the 30hours stuff and staying up all night repeatedly. I'd say don't. You will only end up paying for it in the long run bad drawings and a lack of focus due to tiredness, or as you did; miss important deadlines and classes. Art is important, drawing is important, but it's not worth burning yourself out or making yourself ill because your not sleeping/eating etc properly. As lame and cliches as it is, if you haven't got your health, what have you got? Aaaaanyway, keep up the stellar work my friend.

Peace
    Dan

31. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critiques.

First pic are some figures from a magazine. Next are some Bridgeman studies with random sketches. The ink ones are done with my calligraphy pen, cause I luv to draw with it, even though I can't erase. Last pic is the Thuderdome we had, but I didn't get to finish cause I draw so slow. I wanted to put a rug in front of him with weapons on it, but I wasn't sure how the perspective would work with the rug.

Soon I'm gonna start working on heads, hands, and feet. I'm tired of drawing mannequins. I'm not sure on how to build my drawing speed. In every drawing class I've had I'm almost always the slowest drawer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good looking stuff recently man.

If you want to get your scans looking better ---> http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showthread.php?t=24762

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Muz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed with Muz Keep practicing!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start td! I love the zbrush work. Keep up the studies and you'll progress fast here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude it's been almost 2 weeks

This delay is not good... not good at all.

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about going MIA, had midterms and was sick so it's been busy, but now everything is all good.

Been relearning ZBrush and watching a lot of sculpting tutorials. I'm gonna try to sculpt the head of a mindflayer for practice. The first pic is the very rough sculpt I started in ZBrush to get general proportions, then I took that into Maya and finished retopologizing it today, so now I'm ready to start doing the real sculpt.

The 2nd pic is a skull WIP that I'm gonna finish when I wake up tomorrow. I'm using a HB mechanical pencil and white charcoal pencil. As always, it looks better in person

3rd one are the 7 types of folds. I like the pipe folds, but not the rest. I think I'm gonna redo some of them also when I wake up.

4th pic is from stuff from clothed figure drawing (ignore the faces, haha). I never post stuff from my figure drawing classes cause I usually don't like the drawings, but from now on I'm going to start picking my 5 favorites I do each class and post them no matter how they look. I think that will help me.

If anyone wants to learn more about drawing cloth, then check out this web site. If you scroll down you'll find a thing about drawing clothes. I used that for my reference for the 7 types of folds. It also has other cool things about other aspects of drawing.

I'm pretty tired right now, so I'll look at everyone's SB and catch up after I sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.