Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Team CHOW II: Team Daemonic Squirrels

Hey there you fine folks, this thread is here to catalogue the progress of:

Rabbi Satan (Me),
    Quikenobi
    and Maeve.

We're a little underwhelming compared to some of the mighty giants that are doing this Team CHOW. But our goal is to improve and push our current artistic limits.

Anyway, here's the ground rules from daestwen:

1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!
    Ok gang, lets start by brainstorming what genre we're doing. As some others have gone for alien humanoids, Victorian era Steampunk, etc etc.

As suggested by looking at another thread, lets post some pictures costumes or stuff that you think is interesting or awesome. And also a collage of imaages for establishing a consistant colour pallete for our creations.

Since there's 3 of us, that's 6 portraits, and also light vs dark. Which would run up to 12. So we've got to work hard!

*Brings out whip* Get Crackin'!

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a genre breaker - High Tech Elven Vikings.

MUTHA FUGGIN HIGH TECH ELVEN VIKINGS!

My ideas are to take a fantasy stereotype (In this case, Elves), mix them in with something in our own world that is diametrically opposite of the stereotype, and add in some high tech equipment.

I've only done vikings, but I'll be researching some high tech add-ons. Which could be night vision goggles, or some kind of Hi Tech Visor that enhances vision. Something like that

Name:  vikinginpiration.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  284.9 KB

Here's another stereotype breaker - How about one of you two research Dwarven Bards and Minstrels? That's a neat idea.

Last edited by Maledict; August 5th, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weren't we supposed to do only high fantasy level of tech?

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hhhmm, didn't see that among the rules, I'll PM daestwen for clarification .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, I think that being 3 we only have to make 6 portraits total.. 3 evil, 3 good..

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd go for Female elf fighter (viking is cool), Orc or Ogre wizard and Dwarven Bard..

気計 - Quike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to clarify guys, any sort of sci-fi/modern tech is out, its a high fantasy based brief

My Sketchbook
    Team CHOW 2 ALH, Blackcherry, Nimzicki, CKLamb

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nimzicki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys would be willing to accept another member. I'm a fairly experienced pencil artist without a lot of digital painting experience, but I'm really quick to learn and I want to push my skills with this comp.

Luke

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps Sacreti We'll have to discuss with the group.

Anyway, I'm not so good with characters, but here are a few Elven Vikings done in line and mostly value. My characters are ok with just linework, but now I'm trying to move more into value, and then eventually do a character with just that.

Anyhow, here they are:

I'll be doing more Hopefully they improve with each attempt.

Name:  vikingelf.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  vikingelf2.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  vikingelf3.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  101.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Should I just wait before I do anything then? I've got some ideas for a character that would fit in with your elvish vikings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would help if we could see something from your work

気計 - Quike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here are some sketches on the viking elves and the dwarf bard...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    気計 - Quike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya again guys

I did two pictures today, still crap, but an improvement on previous attempts nonetheless. The Drow was done in line, then value. I couldn't get the 2nd, lighter complexioned viking elf female to look good in just value, so I put the linework over everything else.

Nice explorations Quikenobi

Maeve, post some art, I'd like to see some more.

Sacretis: Yeah, as Kenobi said, it would be great to see some of your art first. It doesn't have to be spectacular, just to get an idea of what you can do. For example, I'm not entering this contest to win, but to learn how to work in groups and improve myself.

Anyhow, here's the two female elven vikings. As I said, still crap, but I get better every day.

Name:  vikingelf4.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  vikingelf5.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  86.9 KB

Edit: Also, I really like your pencils Kenobi, would love to see more.

Anyway, I'll do some line thumbs of Female Elven Vikings - I'm not that good with value yet, but I am with line.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's 3 thumbs I did just now. I'm A LOT better at drawing than I am at painting. But oh well, with skill comes practice.

Name:  vikingthumb.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  60.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!
    I've got some ideas to break the stereotype : how about we turn what was always meant to represent good into evil (as symbolic) and vice versa?

For example, angels are supposed to be made of light (which represent purity) and demons are dark with flames. If we switch for another representation of darkness, like night for instance, and make the creature a gardien and a protector of all mysteries, and use the symbolic of light as a blinding threat that will burn all, we could create a totall new representation of what is known to be one of the oldest stereotype. How's that for a breaker?!

We could use that technique for any creature, if we closely observe how the creatures are made and detect any sign of symbolic that make us recognize it to be... a dwarf, an elf, a warrior, etc. If you need any documentation, I can help with that!

Last edited by Maeve; August 6th, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
    My portfolio : http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163517

LungadriaProduction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another idea for the concept : what if we mixed up many differents creatures from mythology to create a brand new one? And make a different class out of it, using the different parts of its body to represent its type of strength?

For example, the forehead is used to represent the intellect, as for wizards and scientists. Something from a beast place on the forehead could represent the wizard intellect and its shape and color would tell more about its true origins and intentions (like a unicorn horn).

LungadriaProduction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rabbi Satan : I'll upload some more samples of my work as soon as I can make my new scanner work! The other one just broke yesterday (crap)! Meanwhile, I'll post stuff that I doodled directly in photoshop. Until then, here's a little something to give you a little idea about my abilities with tones and colors :

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162891

The storyboard is waaay confusing, I just tried it for fun and it's quite a mess! But at least, you can see what I can do using just a simple brush (soft stroke and hard stroke), the eraser and the blur tool.

LungadriaProduction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi maeve The thing is that breaking stereotypes too much can lead to bad character reading. I think that we should look more for a displacement than for a complete reversal of the conception. I mean, you can make an ork look good, but a demon will always look as a demon...

気計 - Quike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that I will take the wizard part. This sketch gives pretty much the feeling I want to create :

Name:  00fight3.gif
Views: 295
Size:  49.0 KB

Without making of it a 'world of Warcraft' creature, I would like to give it a more beast-like sex-appeal. What do you think?

LungadriaProduction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I uploaded some of my recent work to Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7605568@N07/

As you can see, lately I've been doing a lot of work from life. I don't have anything particularly conceptual to show at the moment, but I'll keep digging.

If you guys will let me join you, get back to me ASAP. If not, no hard feelings, but I'd like to know so I can find another group.

Luke

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really dig that dwarven bard Quik, very nice play on race/class combo. Rabbi Satan, nice poses, but kind of hard to take in at that size, you might want scale back for posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacretis View Post
    Hey guys, I uploaded some of my recent work to Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7605568@N07/

As you can see, lately I've been doing a lot of work from life. I don't have anything particularly conceptual to show at the moment, but I'll keep digging.

If you guys will let me join you, get back to me ASAP. If not, no hard feelings, but I'd like to know so I can find another group.

Luke
    Guys?

I'm sorry for my impatience, I just want to get moving on this.

Luke

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sacretis: Sorry for leaving you out on a limb here Sac .

But in anycase, I think we're not looking for another person. But if you're really desperate, we'll welcome you .

CKLamb: Noted, will do in the future, I suppose it's because I have a large resolution (2048 x 1152).

Maeve: I think the stereotype breaker would be an orc mage. Ogre mages were done in the Baldur's Gate series. But I like where you're going. Some more explorations would be nice

Quikenobi: Duuuude, where's more art? Moar! MOAR!!

Here're some more explorations:

Name:  vikingthumb3.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  vikingthumb4.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  97.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry man, I've been really busy this weekend... I hope I'll be able to upload something later today

By the way, I love the explorations, but I thjink that we're getting tooo close to the Valkirie profile Maybe something more barbarish and less knightish.. We can keep the knightish approach for the evil one,filling it with spikes and other unconfortable things to fight against

Maeve, looks nice idea for the feeling.. I think first we should get the high mage orc.. something like an Uruk-hai studying in griffindorf... Great start

気計 - Quike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some renderings of the previous explorations.

I'll do some more, but this time, I'll try to stick to the theme a bit more. Good point about the Valkyries Quikenobi, I had completely forgotten about them. Should've given it more thought.

Anyway, here're the renderings. I've tried to experiment by going into value. The first one (On the left) seems to be a bit better for some reason. But I'm definitely improving a lot.

Name:  vikingthumb5.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  78.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice improvement Rabbi Satan! I just love to see how it progresses! It will be a challenge, though, to try to break the boudaries using a human character.

Your dwarf just cracks me up Quikenobi! I would aim for that character for your progression.

Hey guys, I've been thinking : since we're working on a group project, maybe we should agree on a fantasy style for the over-all look of all characters. Should we aim for something super realistic, or for something more cartoony-like? Also, should it be humoristic? Dramatic? Romantic? Others?! I think it should also be part of the research!

Also, how will it be presented? With two identical poses or close, or with differents poses? I personaly think that presenting both characters in different positions will make it more dynamic for the viewer. The way the character stands may speak even more than its looks.

I've been working on my sorcerer concept this week-end, and I decided to create a more beast-like looking character. For these sorcerers, I want to create a fur texture that reminds the one of a deer or similar, using pale brown, dark yellow, beige and white for the good guy (warm colors) and tones of grey, black, purple and blue-grey for the evil one.

Name:  TwoMages.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  89.4 KB

I also worked on other types of creatures to truly break the bounderies of the ordinary fantasy-fiction mold. The contrast between the following two creatures makes it hardly believable that they are the same! A mermaid, not any bigger than the tip of your thumb!

I thougth about creating a feeling of purity for the good version, giving her skin the look of a pearl using colors like pink, white, light blue and blue-grey, just like if she was born inside a beautiful shell! She would have long white hair (longer than in the picture) and would be shiny from head to fins! Her fins would be soft with long strikes of 'fur', similar to a battle fish :

Name:  3F91B5654B28E083EA97CB4507A5BCAE_full.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  31.7 KB

The evil version, however, would be colored with tones of greenish grey-brown and beige, as if she came from a rotted shell. Her skin would be blue-grey of purple-grey, as if she came directly from the living dead. Since her fins has lost all that is 'soft and kind', it's sharp as a blade! Her bones come out her flesh and she can walk on it as it were spare legs (one of her magical skills). That way, she can move anyway she wants on earth. She usually hide in sand to attack her opponent by surprise!

Name:  TwoMermaids.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  71.4 KB

More sketches coming!

Last edited by Maeve; August 10th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.

LungadriaProduction

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Maeve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Maeve,

You're raising some great points. As far as realistic/cartoony is concerned, I think cartoony would be better. Form over function, I guess. Would be a lot easier compared making realistic costumes for 1 character and making them fit with the other two. But yes, we've got to establish a certain style.

About the poses, that raises another question - do the characters have to be in the same picture? Or separate? But in anycase, I would vote for having different poses.

Nice work all of you

And here's some more explorations. For now, it's just a test of my skills. We'll get serious once we've established more research and ground.

Name:  vikingthumb6.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  86.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a more completed rendering and colouring in of the viking thumbs I did today.

Oh well, off to bed. Tomorrow: Dynamic Poses!

Name:  vikingthumb6v3.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  86.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work dude! Careful though for not using black skin to represent evil, in order to avoid racist confrontations.

I've been thinking, since each member must write a story for his/her character, why don't we create an overall story (RPG) in which we could include our characters? For example, Vicking from X island in partnership with Y dwarf clan, in war with Z wizard organisation, etc. If we could stick to a common storyline, it would reinforce our group spirit, don't you think?

LungadriaProduction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thinks that before colour pass the "evil" attire tells me good, and the "good" attire tells me evil.. also the weapons.. and if we're going for vikings, no horned helmets horns are just how Irish monks depicted them

I like the poses.. I think that we should dwell into body language to see which attitudes are going to show good or evil character..

気計 - Quike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.