Art: Sci-Fi Combat Armour & other things..... - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Combat Armour & other things.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update tonight. Still roughing everything out & ive been hacking & changing bits here & there. The chest gave me a good run for my money & hes currently on his 3rd variation! As you can see he still needs his hands, backpack & weapon blocking in. Once these are roughed out i can go in & start refining the shapes, make it neat & then start considering the details. Gonna have to leave him for at least a week as ive got a job from tomorrow. Its going to be hard concentrating on that instead of thinking about Space Marines

polybuilder - yes it is

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow amazing work! Have you tried using automotive clay before Cypher? Pretty expensive stuff but a beautiful medium to use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RichieLee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Work has finished now so i've been able to spend some more time on the Space Marine. Everything is pretty much roughed in now, the back pack is still very rough & the Bolter is still just a mock up. Im happy with the proportions & everything seems to fit together nicely so now i can go in & start refining & tidying it all up. Im going to spend the next few days get everything as neat as i can & then i'll be able to start adding all the details & accessories. Oh yeah...& a couple of helmet variations too, though ive gotten used to seeing him without a helmet & quite like it.

RichieLee - Thanks! Ive never used the automotive clay but im always up for trying out new materials & im sure i'll give it a go at some point

Bye for now & thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the pictures of the space marine in pieces on what looks like a cutting matt, were did you get those images from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol i just looked again at the top picture and his face kinda looks like rimmer from red dwarf ... lol now i can stop larghing as i can hear chris barry in my head makeing rimmer type comments.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sloopster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Thanks Sloopster i wont be able to look at him the same way again! Good job im going to do a helmet for him. As for the pics you speak of i got them from a model making forum i came across when googling Space Marine reference:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ine-WIP-Part-1

Its a step by step process by someone customising the forge world 120mm space marine. Its an impressive thread, though i cant find part 2!! Ive just got the various pics of the original models pieces for reference along with a shedload of other pics from other sources though the proportions im using are mostly taken from the Space Marine PS3 game but with a smaller head.
    Saying that ive got no space marine updates at the mo due to work keeping me occupied so he hasnt progressed since the last post
    I do however have some pics from a job i did at the beginning of last year when i was working in the prosthetics department of Wrath of the Titans & seeing as though thats out now & everyone else has been putting their pics up on Facebook etc i figured i'd put the few pics i took up on here too.
    We created prosthetic/prop bodies of the gods of Olympus for a scene which didnt make it into the final cut of the film. I didnt have anything to do with the sculpting i was just there to help cast out the bodies with plat-gel silicone & put them together as well as putting them up on the set & generally hanging around on stand by for their day of filming.
    The bodies themselves were attached & blended to hollow rocks that the actors climbed inside & when their heads poked out of the hole they appeared to be part of the decomposing body.
    The idea was that Hades had captured the gods & imprisoned them into the rock where their life force was then being drained to awaken Kronos.....or as Ralph Fiennes put it (in a rather dodgy line to Liam Neeson) "This is where the gods come to be milked"......so yeah. We also made a full silicone prop body of one of the gods (dont know which one) that was fused into a spiked rock about 15 feet off the ground & was particularly nasty looking. We also spent the day before filming adding laods of rotting soldier corpses & bones etc as dressing for the set.
    I didnt really get any decent photos as i wasnt really supposed to be taking any but i managed to get some pics of Athena, Apollo, & the aforementioned gruesome hanging god when the director was preoccupied with setting up shots etc. The day of filming itself was excrutiatingly loooooooooooooong & although i got to see Liam Neeson (who is fucking massive), Ralph Fiennes (who is very pleasant), Sam Worthington (errrrr yep..... he can run & hold a sword), Rosamund Pike (easy on the eye) & a couple of other actors who i dont know, i was quite relieved when filming wrapped at about 10:30 pm as id been there since 5am. It was cool to see the big flying camera crane rig being used for epic sweeping shots which looked cool on the monitors & i did feel sorry for the actors stuck in those rocks all day, as well as the dudes at the top of the set whose job it was to drop rocks & debris onto the ground below as the underworld caves in as they had to then go & pick it all up, carry it back to the top & repeat about 8 million times.
    All in all it was a fun job of 6 weeks making the stuff, a day of filming & now a few months wait for the dvd to see if it at least ends up in the deleted scenes extras!
    If i get any better pics from other crew members i'll put them up in the future but for now my dodgy secret photos will have to do!

Thanks for looking

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mate, I love checking in your thread! Unbelievable work as always, love how the space marine is turning out awesome.

You are so lucky to be involved with all the special effects stuff, it's a dream job for me! Your work is always inspirational!

Take care

Earhole Bongsplat

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cypher View Post
    As for the pics you speak of i got them from a model making forum i came across when googling Space Marine reference:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ine-WIP-Part-1

Its a step by step process by someone customising the forge world 120mm space marine. Its an impressive thread, though i cant find part 2!!
    Part 2 can be found here.

And excellent work with everything, I love your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi LC!

Think i developed some kind of nasty abstinence from your unbelievable work on that Dredd sculpt. Really inpiring work, to say the least.

Think i read that you were taking a break from Dredd.
    Donīt wanna come off like some restless douche urging an artist to rush his work. But please produce remedy for this most unplesant ailment of mine, as it happens my wellbeing sort of depends on it

/K

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kruppe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just browsed though your thread here. Wow... Splendid

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redtrackz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys!
    Once again its been a long time so without further ado....

Quote Originally Posted by Kruppe View Post

Think i read that you were taking a break from Dredd.
    Donīt wanna come off like some restless douche urging an artist to rush his work. But please produce remedy for this most unplesant ailment of mine, as it happens my wellbeing sort of depends on it

/K
    Shit Kruppe I didnt realise your well being was in my hands! Good job I've got a Dredd update eh? The Perp sculpts are finished (aside from a bit of a cleanup & tidy on the 2nd one) & are ready to be moulded. I've got no silicone at the moment & dont have the funds to get any just yet........so Kruppe if youre THAT desperate to see it finished you could always donate 300 quid or so & i can get on with it!!

So after spending time getting the Dredd sculpt done I didnt really fancy doing any fiddly stuff just yet so the Space Marine has been put to one side as i felt like throwing some clay around & getting stuck into something meaty Theres an annoying empty space on the wall above my TV so, sticking with the 2000ad theme, Ive decided to fill it with a life size sculpt of Mean Machines head smashing its way through the wall. May as well. I spent about a week on the sculpt & plan to mould it in silicone so i can then get either hard or soft casts out of it. In an ideal world I'd like to do the flesh in silicone & the cyborg parts in fibreglass. So if i do a silicone mould I'll have the option to go down that route when i can afford it. In the meantime I can do either a resin cast or something softer like flex foam maybe........not sure yet. As i mentioned above I havent got any silicone anyway so cant do anything with it yet so I'm planning on keeping busy & doing a Judge Death in the mean time. Im also hoping that i can find more work so i can earn some money & pay the rent next month & then get some silicone & i sometimes find that when i plan to get stuck into a new sculpture someone calls me up with a job offer to get in the way!!!

Oh yeah! M3ntor...thanks for the link. That customised marine is awesome. I'll be getting on with mine as soon as i exorcise my current 2000ad fixation!

Thanks for looking guys

Heres a vid of the Mean Machine scupt, though youtube tried to eliminate camera shake which looked shit so i undid it but it still appears to be quite trippy :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a few more pics of Mean.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Back again with a quick update. As i mentioned above I'm planning on doing a Judge Death bust. He's going to be life size so i figured before jumping in I'd do a quick maquette to use as reference. I spent about three & a half hours on it using monster clay. Its more of a sketch really but i quite like it & may tidy it up & finish it off nicely one day...........
    But for now I'm going to move onto the full size version.

Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

I've been busy with the clay sculpt of the full size Judge Death bust. I'm planning to do the shoulder pieces as separate sculpts so once I've got a silicone mould done I'll get a cast out & use it to sculpt the shoulder armour onto & then mould them. Heres how he's looking at the moment anyway.

Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know much about Judge Dread aside from the Stallone movie but that Dread statue is looking awesome, Death looks great too even just as a sketch.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again,

I've been re-teaching myself Zbrush....it's a lot of fun. I tried to be a good student & work through the tutorials in the book I got & am up Chapter 3. Chapter 2 concludes with a basic head sculpt........that's when i got a bit ahead of myself & decided to do a Judge Dredd bust. I'm not very happy with the wings of the eagle & I still have a lot to learn & a long way to go!!

Name:  CAZdredd1.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  17.0 KBName:  CAZDredd2.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  66.3 KB

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another bust I did in Zbrush. Just kind of made it up as I went along really......probably overdid it with the spikes but hey. it's all good fun

Name:  Demon-1.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  demon2.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  39.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

It's been quite a while since I last posted so I'll get to it!
    First up here's the latest personal sculpt I've been working on. Yep another Judge Dredd! This time though he's a 1/3 scale bust.

Name:  DreddBust5.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  157.9 KB
    Name:  DreddBust6.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  145.7 KB

Here's some work in progress shots: First up is the armature

Name:  DreddBust1.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  129.3 KB

Then I quickly roughed in the figure, gave him the all important helmet & added the uniform

Name:  DreddBust2.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  173.6 KB

Next up I roughed in a base for him to sit on & started working out how the shoulder eagle would work. I'm always looking for an interesting way to resolve the eagle.....

Name:  DreddBust3.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  208.5 KB

With the sculpt finished I've keyed up the components ready for moulding....

Name:  DreddBust4.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  51.0 KB

Next up is Dredds companion Judge Anderson. Dredd is a breeze compared to sculpting a convincing attractive woman when you dont have the advantage of hiding her face under a helmet!! One tiny thing out of place & she goes from pin up queen to kebab munching pig monster!! I think I've re-done her face about 4 times! I'm being very picky with her!!! She's got to be as cool as Dredd & smokin' hot or whats the point? Here's how she's looking at the moment. As she'll be sat on the same base as Dredd there's no need for me to sculpt another so she's borrowing Dredd's for now.

Name:  Anderson-in-Progress-1.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  103.5 KB

Obviously when she's done I'll have to do Judge Death, Judge Fear, Judge Mortis & Judge Fire. Death & Fear should be straight forward enough & I have a few ideas of what I could do with Mortis & Fire......though I've never sculpted flames before so that could prove to be interesting!
    Unfortunately I wont be able to use the Death maquette I did a while back as I ended up melting him to use the monster clay for a quick bust of The Darkness I did for a potential employer that came to nothing!

Name:  The-Darkness.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  99.7 KB

Now time to go off on a bit of a tangent! My girlfriend is setting up her own cake business so naturally I volunteered to help her with her novelty cakes! Obviously I've never sculpted in cake before so I figured I'd better get some practice in!! I thought I'd start off with something simple so got myself some madeira cake & assembled it into a rough sofa shape. That is then covered with buttercream icing & put into the fridge to set for a bit. Then it's covered with fondant which can be further detailed & painted etc should you wish

Name:  Sofa-Cake.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  116.2 KB

So far so good. Then with Halloween coming up (at the time) it seemed only natural to have a go at doing a pumpkin

Name:  Pumpkin-Cake.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  112.6 KB

The method is the same as sofa I did. I let my girlfriend take care of the cake baking part....I think she did a vanilla sponge??? She made 3 standard round cakes which she put ontop of each other using buttercream to stick them together, a bit like a brick layer really. I then carved it into a basic pumpkin shape using a knife & a potato peeler (like a rake tool). This was covered with butterceam, put in the fridge & when cooled covered with orange fondant. I scored in some surface detail & cut out the face shape. We then used food paints to give it a bit of a paint job & make it snazzy!

So yeah, thats what Ive been up to lately. Never thought I'd sculpt cakes!!

Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant! Cakes! And then you eat them. Ultimate art really......

Judge Anderson is classy.....oh yeah, all good that one.

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Waipunga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant! Cakes! And then you eat them. Ultimate art really......

Judge Anderson is classy.....oh yeah, all good that one.

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Waipunga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jkilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice colors all around a 10.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jkilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers, The handy thing about cake sculpting is you can eat the mess therefore saving on cleaning up after yourself The downside is my jeans are getting a bit tighter! Good job it's only now & then that she needs me to carve cakes for her!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to get Anderson finished over the weekend..........

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  195.6 KBName:  B.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  185.3 KBName:  C.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  232.7 KB

Next on the 2000AD list are the Dark Judges

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Lord Cypher; February 6th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new Dredd stuff is looking great. The obvious next project has to be a Judge Dredd cake.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really inspiring stuff! Esp the 2000ad busts, am working on a small Dredd bust myself atm, so great inspiration

38. The Following User Says Thank You to freakinacage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, it's always good to know when your work has inspired other people

JoshS - Yep I have given it serious consideration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, seeing your work inspired me to take up sculpting again. What kind of clay are you using for the busts?

Please PM me if you'd like an individual crit.

idrawyouonthesubway
    huxleycreative

41. The Following User Says Thank You to prepsage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work !

43. The Following User Says Thank You to pokrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by prepsage View Post
    Man, seeing your work inspired me to take up sculpting again. What kind of clay are you using for the busts?
    Thanks a lot for the kind words. I'm pleased to have inspired, it's the best compliment The busts were done with Monster Clay.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5