Thanks

Is there such a thing as drawing too much (physically)

I've noticed the last few days that my drawing arm has been feeling really odd. It seems to be aching constantly and yesterday my hand was very cold and my thumb went numb. The only thing that has changed recently is that I have been drawing for like 5-6 hours a day sometimes more, everyday for the last few weeks. Yesterday after an hour or so when my thumb went numb I stopped for the day as I was starting to get worried.
    Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Should I slow down for a while? The last thing I want to do is keep going and inflame the problem if there is one. But at the same time I really feel like I need to be working hard.
    Could it be repetitive strain injury or whatever it's called.
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I don't know.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Maybe we're not a doctor,whom you should consult, so we won't know what to do about your specific illness nor give reliable information from people who had something similar, as your case might be different due to medical backgrounds, environment, social groups and about a dozen other factors?
    Last edited by Hyskoa; August 4th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Maybe we're not a doctor,whom you should consult, so we won't know what to do about your specific illness nor give reliable information from people who had something similar as your case might be different due to medical backgrounds, environment, social groups and about a dozen other factors?
    Obviously if it persists I'll consult a doctor. I was just asking a general question, if 20 people had replyed saying that they had a bit of an ache after drawing so much so suddenly, but it had gone away of its own accord after a few days I would have felt a bit less paranoid. I'm not foolish enough to take everything as gospel.

Thanks
    Problem with that reasoning are the exceptions in life.
    98% of the time, shoulder ache is just overuse, and nothing more. Be in the lucky 2% class and it's Rotatorcuff problems(which is treatable with a very simple 1 day surgery). Meaning every time you raise your arms above a certain level, you're doing irreparable damage, while it could have been aided with the surgery had you inquired.

Same with everything, hence why I prefer sound judgment on a personal basis from a licensed individual if deemed necessary.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    Could be a slightly inflamed ulnar nerve (funny bone) from resting your elbow on a hard surface, although this wouldn't normally cause your hand to be cold and it would tend to affect the other side of the hand rather than the thumb. Probably just decreased blood supply, again from leaning on it too much.

Upshot is, give it a rest for a couple of days and visit a physio / doctor. If your arm's not swollen then it's not going to be much but you still need to check it out to stop it getting worse.

Thanks
    You should take a break once every hour.
    I'm the guy that does his job! You must be the other guy!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...73#post2633373 <- longest link to a sketchbook ever.
    http://thesketchersden.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Sometimes I get a lot of shoulder pain from drawing, probably because of my bad posture, but nothing ever goes cold or numb. I can't even imagine why your hand would go cold, unless it's snowing in your studio.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Could be a slightly inflamed ulnar nerve (funny bone) from resting your elbow on a hard surface, although this wouldn't normally cause your hand to be cold and it would tend to affect the other side of the hand rather than the thumb. Probably just decreased blood supply, again from leaning on it too much.

Upshot is, give it a rest for a couple of days and visit a physio / doctor. If your arm's not swollen then it's not going to be much but you still need to check it out to stop it getting worse.
    If its his thumb going numb, it can't be the ulnar nerve.

Thanks
    It was only numb for a short while, I have a suspicion it may just have been because I was holding my pencil quite hard as I was drawing pretty small, it just seemed odd as it hadn't happened before. I think part of the problem may just be that I'm not taking enough breaks.
    Elbow thing wouldn't really apply, I either rest my forearm below the elbow on the edge of the desk, or don't rest it on anything at all when I draw.