Team CHOW II: SUREÑOS

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Team CHOW II: SUREÑOS

Last edited by Maestro Andres; August 4th, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reporting for duty, master andres

Ok so I'll start with the obligatory important post about info & deadlines just as reminder.:

IMPORTANT INFO FOR OURSELVES!!

Characters:
    This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.

The rules!
    1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

Pick one of each:
    Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
    Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
    Alignment:
    Good / Evil (LOS DOS POR PERSONAJE)

Planning/deadlines:

(BE SURE TO KEEP POSTING THE WIP'S TO GIVE AND GET CRITIQUE.)

Friday 7th August: Setting / Story / Character base.
    Sunday 9th August: Initial Sketching / Doodling / Composition.
    Friday 14th August: Final Sketches (for final pieces of art)

- Work on Finals -

Monday 24th August: Post final artwork, Final critiques, Corrections / Changes
    Sunday 29th August: Post up finals in the sketchbook. Make Final POST (porsiaca!)

Final Deadline: Monday 31st August

Last edited by GriNGo; August 4th, 2009 at 01:25 AM.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character research - inca

1st Character Design: REF SEARCH - Inca/Elf Hybrid.

Historical REF:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To clarify things, with Gringo we decided to use part of our history for this challenge. During the colonization era, the spanish conquistadores came and took the land from the Incas, who were the native of our country's land. So we decided to throw this historical figures into a high fantasy setting, especially because they were "nemesis" of each other, and by using the different version of "Lights" and "Dark", we can switch their roles too.

Character research - Spanish Conquistador
    1st Character Design: REF SEARCH - Conquistador/Dwarf.

REF:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some initial crappy sketch, just to brainstorm ideas. Just realized I need to do more further research.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Están a lo bien los bocetos pana!! Ya voy a ponerme a trabajar en los míos... Nice sketches bro!! I'm going to start working on mine as soon as possible.

RIGHT NOW MORE REF RESEARCH: Elf, Dwarf, and Warrior REF (Explanations in the images!) I hope you get inspired by these Maestro:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

belleza...

jajaj.. INCA ELF, Head/Upper Torso Studies. About 5-10 minutes each... Tried to capture possible expressions, some basic design. For some reason I think a bald inca elf would be the best choice.. Still, I did some crazy ones with hairstyles as well. Hope you like:

FOR MAESTRO: Come on man, we need more drawings! Try to do something daily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More suckitude sketches of this past week. We will pick up the pace this week.. sorry for the lateness:

1st-2nd: Sketches for Inca heads/ look. Want to play with the inca brain surgery skull hole "element a bit.. maybe even make the bad guy version to having a lot more surgeries than recommended. The second pic also has some object design, a basic dagger and a "condor staff"... looks like shit though. I'll be elaborating more on these ideas this week. 1st image also has a pair of pose studies (top right): one is inca, the other is a more "form" study for the dwarf spanish conquistador. Very bulky.

3rd: Pose study. Maybe for bad inca version. I like the second one alot, so maybe that's the final one I'll be piciking for that version of the character. I still have to come up with the good inca version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A 15 minute sketch.

Here's another one.. The head of an inca.. not sure if he's evil or not.. The gigantic earings are in, the skull hole with emanating light (a glowing brain!) is in. Like his overall attitude. Pose and look influenced by one of the faces in image 2 of the post before this one.. guess which one it is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EVILNESS!

Ok.. decided to go for the final drawing of the evil bastard. The second pose was chosen, although in a more frontal version: about an hour so far... want to go RANDIS detail on this one. The background maybe could be a jungle, or a spaniard encampment of some sort.

ABOUT MAESTRO ANDRES - absense.. he has been having some computer troubles lately, but he's in the process of sorting them out. He's going to post his stuff soon enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like I have told you before, the sketches are looking good. About the design, the last one looked a bit generic and I was thinking about variety, breaking the box a bit. Since the INCAs have their own culture, it will be useful to research about their religion and belief. Like if they worship an animal, we could see them using as part of their outfit as a way of giving them "power" and such. I will try to give you some ideas soon.

Sorry for the absense, but here is some stuff I have done lately. I have been playing with the helmet design of the espanol. The way I see it, the helmet and the beard are Iconic symbols of a Spanish Conquistador. Since this is about a good and evil version, I was thinking on having the evil version with a visor and tall looking helmet. I will keep playing around a bit more, so tell me what you think. I better catch up with this now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking the last two rows from the first image. Love the bierd on him as well. really cool looking for a spaniard Try and do some body studies, cause we're kinda getting late!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"minorish" update...

More work on the evil dude... Maestro, if you can help out with paintover if you see something wrong or worth changing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job gringo! There is tons of tension and powers in that pic. I ll help you out with a bit of a paintover soon. I know we are running behind, and you are busy with your other stuff, but I will add more to the design since at least in IMHO looks a bit generic. Don't want to step on your toes on this one, but I will give you some ideas to think about.

Again, running late, here are some concepts. I will start painting one tomorrow to catch up with this. I decided to go just for the conquistador/ knight role, so weaponry are very basic. Also, was thinking of adding a half cape to it, since it seems to fit this role more. Let me know what you think works, your opinion will definetively help. I ll post some sketches for the paintings later.

Last edited by Maestro Andres; August 26th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a mini paintover with an extra one with a small variation. I just try to add more to your current design. The cross in the chest is called a Chakana, which is a Inca Cross. Thought that would be nice to add. I also thought the concept of using the Tzanzas as a ceremony rod would be interesting. So I added those and other things. For the second variation I added the common "Inca Crown", we can see in the reference pics, just like the one I attached too. However, I like the bald forehead, it kinda adds to the evil theme, maybe we can save the crown for the "good" version.

Anyways, these are just ideas. So let me know what you think, and take what seems to work better.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.