Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Bubblegum Sci-Fi (redux) Finished-09/14/09

Latest revision is at the bottom.

About two years ago I posted a rough concept of a female alien bounty hunter on this page. It was what I call a bubblegum piece in that it was meant to be flashy and have a lot of pop. However at that time i chose to work on a different project.

Now, in desperate need of artistic inspiration and wanting to forgo the design aspect and jump into the actual 'painting', I have resurrected the concept.

Below are progressions of the current project starting from a 2 inch doodle on the back of a meeting agenda.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Truepinkas; September 14th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Just an update. Blocking in more.

Thanks
    hello,
    Looked at the progression of your work so far and I'm wondering what will you be doing to the background?

Thanks
    What I'm thinking of doing is kind of like an ad style, or a poster. It's essentially going to be 3 plains.

Fore - The char herself.
    Middle - Top and bottom bars with title/char name, possibly textured.
    Back - Space scene showing her ship chasing after/shooting at another ship.

Of course if some other good idea blind sides me, well then, so be it.

I'm currently working on the weapon design and should have some silhouettes up tonight.

Thanks
    I got sick end of last week, spend a lot of the weekend in bed...

started adding the background, tightened the chest armor, defined the weapons a little more, and played around with the pink bits on the armor.

I think something that's making this piece difficult for me is that since it's sci-fi, and bubble-gummy at that i feel like everything needs to be crisp and pristine, which is a departure form my usual looser style. Maybe that's just my own bias...

Thanks
    I have hidden the background again, as i found it distracting while working on the figure.

I'd gotten some feedback about the pose and some of the proportions, and have made a first pass at fixing the issues, hopefully this is a bit better. I'm now noticing that her backside seems a little lopsided though...

Anyway, the point is to get the pose and anatomy correct before i move on into the detailing and tightening up of areas, so if you see something, point it out so I can consider actions.

Last edited by Truepinkas; August 11th, 2009 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    My opinion: The front weapon should be the most saturated, and the back weapon should be toned down slightly so that the two arnt competing to much for attention, the hair and face could use some more contrasting.

I would reconsider the flesh tone as it doesn't not reflect the implied flourescence light that the weapons could/should produce.

THis pink is a very high chroma hue, so it think that it using the two pink lines that separate the image could be a bad choice because they make the viewer's eye to scattered.

I would work on the legs so that they feel more confident.

Are the weapons supposed secondary light sources? Ever thought of making them both the primary light sources?

Great idea, and i think that the re-foreshortening of the weapons is nice.

Even if you didnt change anything but the face it would be a very nice painting!

GOOD WORK!

Thanks
    lolbbq: Thank you for your comments. I will certainly keep your points in mind as I move forward with this project.

As an FYI, I will be rebooting this piece in the coming days.

I am having big problems with how this is implemented. The base anatomy is flawed, the perspective seems to twist instead of the body, and the pose was awkwardly tense and stiff. I’ve spent the past two days ‘mushing’ pixels around in Photoshop trying to fix these issues, and it’s ‘better than it was’, but I think I’ve hit a point in my artistic mindset where the quality of the end product is more important to me than the loss of invested time and effort.

I will be keeping the character concept/design, and the overall composition concept (for now), but will be completely starting over with the rendering of the character. I am likely to go a different direction with the pose as well. I’m currently looking for inspiration from kickboxing and/or ballet, as movements in both would flow naturally with the weapon design. Kickboxing for jabbing/stabbing motions or ballet for sweeping/slicing motions.

I am hoping to post some rough pose concepts in a day or two. No art tonight though, as it’s my wedding anniversary.

Last edited by Truepinkas; August 14th, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks
    Okay, lets try this again...

I think I did about 30 quick sketches the past day or two of various poses inspired by ballet and kickboxing. Of them three stood out as possibilities.

A is a semi-aggressive semi-graceful pose
    B is almost purely a graceful pose
    C is almost purelt an aggressive pose

I haven't picked one yet, but probably will by the end of the day.

I'm leaning toward having the glow trails in the final image, I think it'll help convey movement , but I will have to see once I'm actually working again.

Thanks
    I went with B

I'm also redesigning the armor to have a more organic feel. I'll probably have to redesign the brackets for the weapons as well, but for the moment i just have flat weapon blanks standing in.

I'm also trying to figure out whether I want to stick with the female armor cliche of having from bottom or ribs down to knees unprotected or if i want to go for full suit.

It's the old form vs. function argument I guess.

Lots of work to do , but i figured I'd post this modest progress.

Thanks
    Another day, another inch closer...

Things feel like they are going slower for me now because I'm having to do design work and pay attention tot the angles/proportions at the same time. (my usual design sheets are tremendously out of proportion and sloppy...)

Still undecided about the full body suit or not...I've made a few sketches of possible directions to go in, but I never thought about how awkward/difficult it is to create plated armor for the human behind...

Thanks
    It's ironic that I've been spending so much time on a new armor design because when I started this project I used an old design so i could skip that step and just jump into the image, but the old design was a front only shot, and I just didn't like it anymore.

This is the current design. I figured this is supposed to be bubblegum, so lets really get that feel. Pretty pleased with this basic design, and the pose. I'll let it sit for a little while today before I jump into actually cleaning it up and beginning to shade it.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Hi,

Nice progression. I agree to went with option B. But i think the head position looks better in the quick-sketch version (facing upward and probably with the eyes looking at the audience), it flows better with the body. The arms look a bit too long, aren't they, if you compare it with the hip? Or if you want to exaggerate, maybe you could balance it by extending the lower body, make the hip a little bit lower and then extending the leg. That should add balance to the body, i think. As for the armor, you managed to make it look better

I'll look forward for more progress.
    Cheers

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and tumblr
    Old sketchbook, in case anyone interested.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.