Bubblegum Sci-Fi (redux) Finished-09/14/09
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Bubblegum Sci-Fi (redux) Finished-09/14/09

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bubblegum Sci-Fi (redux) Finished-09/14/09

Latest revision is at the bottom.

About two years ago I posted a rough concept of a female alien bounty hunter on this page. It was what I call a bubblegum piece in that it was meant to be flashy and have a lot of pop. However at that time i chose to work on a different project.

Now, in desperate need of artistic inspiration and wanting to forgo the design aspect and jump into the actual 'painting', I have resurrected the concept.

Below are progressions of the current project starting from a 2 inch doodle on the back of a meeting agenda.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Truepinkas; September 14th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just an update. Blocking in more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello,
    Looked at the progression of your work so far and I'm wondering what will you be doing to the background?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I'm thinking of doing is kind of like an ad style, or a poster. It's essentially going to be 3 plains.

Fore - The char herself.
    Middle - Top and bottom bars with title/char name, possibly textured.
    Back - Space scene showing her ship chasing after/shooting at another ship.

Of course if some other good idea blind sides me, well then, so be it.

I'm currently working on the weapon design and should have some silhouettes up tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got sick end of last week, spend a lot of the weekend in bed...

started adding the background, tightened the chest armor, defined the weapons a little more, and played around with the pink bits on the armor.

I think something that's making this piece difficult for me is that since it's sci-fi, and bubble-gummy at that i feel like everything needs to be crisp and pristine, which is a departure form my usual looser style. Maybe that's just my own bias...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have hidden the background again, as i found it distracting while working on the figure.

I'd gotten some feedback about the pose and some of the proportions, and have made a first pass at fixing the issues, hopefully this is a bit better. I'm now noticing that her backside seems a little lopsided though...

Anyway, the point is to get the pose and anatomy correct before i move on into the detailing and tightening up of areas, so if you see something, point it out so I can consider actions.

Last edited by Truepinkas; August 11th, 2009 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My opinion: The front weapon should be the most saturated, and the back weapon should be toned down slightly so that the two arnt competing to much for attention, the hair and face could use some more contrasting.

I would reconsider the flesh tone as it doesn't not reflect the implied flourescence light that the weapons could/should produce.

THis pink is a very high chroma hue, so it think that it using the two pink lines that separate the image could be a bad choice because they make the viewer's eye to scattered.

I would work on the legs so that they feel more confident.

Are the weapons supposed secondary light sources? Ever thought of making them both the primary light sources?

Great idea, and i think that the re-foreshortening of the weapons is nice.

Even if you didnt change anything but the face it would be a very nice painting!

GOOD WORK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lolbbq: Thank you for your comments. I will certainly keep your points in mind as I move forward with this project.

As an FYI, I will be rebooting this piece in the coming days.

I am having big problems with how this is implemented. The base anatomy is flawed, the perspective seems to twist instead of the body, and the pose was awkwardly tense and stiff. I’ve spent the past two days ‘mushing’ pixels around in Photoshop trying to fix these issues, and it’s ‘better than it was’, but I think I’ve hit a point in my artistic mindset where the quality of the end product is more important to me than the loss of invested time and effort.

I will be keeping the character concept/design, and the overall composition concept (for now), but will be completely starting over with the rendering of the character. I am likely to go a different direction with the pose as well. I’m currently looking for inspiration from kickboxing and/or ballet, as movements in both would flow naturally with the weapon design. Kickboxing for jabbing/stabbing motions or ballet for sweeping/slicing motions.

I am hoping to post some rough pose concepts in a day or two. No art tonight though, as it’s my wedding anniversary.

Last edited by Truepinkas; August 14th, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, lets try this again...

I think I did about 30 quick sketches the past day or two of various poses inspired by ballet and kickboxing. Of them three stood out as possibilities.

A is a semi-aggressive semi-graceful pose
    B is almost purely a graceful pose
    C is almost purelt an aggressive pose

I haven't picked one yet, but probably will by the end of the day.

I'm leaning toward having the glow trails in the final image, I think it'll help convey movement , but I will have to see once I'm actually working again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went with B

I'm also redesigning the armor to have a more organic feel. I'll probably have to redesign the brackets for the weapons as well, but for the moment i just have flat weapon blanks standing in.

I'm also trying to figure out whether I want to stick with the female armor cliche of having from bottom or ribs down to knees unprotected or if i want to go for full suit.

It's the old form vs. function argument I guess.

Lots of work to do , but i figured I'd post this modest progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another day, another inch closer...

Things feel like they are going slower for me now because I'm having to do design work and pay attention tot the angles/proportions at the same time. (my usual design sheets are tremendously out of proportion and sloppy...)

Still undecided about the full body suit or not...I've made a few sketches of possible directions to go in, but I never thought about how awkward/difficult it is to create plated armor for the human behind...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's ironic that I've been spending so much time on a new armor design because when I started this project I used an old design so i could skip that step and just jump into the image, but the old design was a front only shot, and I just didn't like it anymore.

This is the current design. I figured this is supposed to be bubblegum, so lets really get that feel. Pretty pleased with this basic design, and the pose. I'll let it sit for a little while today before I jump into actually cleaning it up and beginning to shade it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hi,

Nice progression. I agree to went with option B. But i think the head position looks better in the quick-sketch version (facing upward and probably with the eyes looking at the audience), it flows better with the body. The arms look a bit too long, aren't they, if you compare it with the hip? Or if you want to exaggerate, maybe you could balance it by extending the lower body, make the hip a little bit lower and then extending the leg. That should add balance to the body, i think. As for the armor, you managed to make it look better

I'll look forward for more progress.
    Cheers

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it'll be better for u if u also doing the background in the same time so it'll have more connection with the character
    Nice progression till now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    witcrack: I see what your saying about the head, and agree with you and will be changing it back. As for the arms, I tipple checked them, and they look relatively correct to me, though i did shorten the one on the right a little. Keep in mind her back is arched quite a bit, so it's not as simple as just seeing where they fall on her hips.

aLDoDarK: Ordinarily I'd agree with you about doing the background along with the character, but since I'm still planning on doing the ad poster style image, so there is a purposeful disconnect between the figure and the background.

It's literally a backdrop, not an environment in this case.

I'm currently setting up workpaths and replacing the rough brush strokes with filled paths in prep to begin actual shading.

I'm going to start with a fully 'rendered' body suit, as the plating for the armor may still change a bit, and this will allow for more flexability.

Last edited by Truepinkas; August 23rd, 2009 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, after more looks it was the right one that is longer than the other.
    I'll look forward for more updates

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, final anatomy check, next time I work on this I'll be starting to lay the plating.

The lighting on her head is vastly different from that on the body, so I'll have to go back and rework the head later on, probably when I go in to detail the hands.

I will eventually be re-adding the weapons as secondary light sources, but I'm ignoring them for now because it will be a lot easier to add them in later than try and think about four different light sources in two different colors at once while I'm trying to paint the plates.

I also figured out that those yellow lights I have in the armor design above should probably be on pieces of the armor, not the body suit, which is why the patches are blue, not yellow. The patches may get removed later on if they don't read well once the armor is on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still had the roughed in face, so don't mind it's sloppyness.

Started applying armor to her. I'm doing all the lighter tone armor first. Once I'm done all the armor I'll go back and add it's appropriate cast shadows on the bodysuit.

Not exactly sure how I'm handling those yellow lights/blobs from the rough design, didn't really plan them out too well, I'll have to figure that out as I go along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little more progress. Once I'm done the armor I'm going to go back in and do the shadows the armor would cast on the bodysuit, so you can ignore those problems for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm like a slow moving turtle with this project...

I redesigned the leg armor because the way it was, there was no way she could sit... Anyway, some more work done on her. Still so much to do....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying like i know where you're going but I enjoy watching each progressions. And yeah, just like you said, it still have a lot more to do. For me, the anatomy is alright and I really wait for you to throw in the background to see where the light sources are , but no rush. Please, keep it up

also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another update. Keep in mind this is more of an 'ad poster' style piece, so their isn't an integrated background (trying for something a little simpler technically since this is my first pic in a few years).

As for her light sources I have two 'studio' lights for lack of a better term, a bright one above and to the right, and a dimmer one that is around calf level and to the left.

To do list:
    Tighten up head/hair.
    Integrate glow off weapons.
    Design title text.
    Integrate mild atmospheric perspective on figure.
    Revisit space ship idea for background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small progress. Redid the head and hair (took way too long, I need to practice doing portraits I guess.)

I also did some integration of the weapon glow. Originally I imagined the weapons creating there own glare on the armor in addition to the 'studio lights' but it just looked messy and visually complicated, so I opted for a simpler implementation.

Unless someone points something out, all I need to do now is hands, title text, and then her ship (if I'm up to the challenge that is vehicle design and painting).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm pretty much done with her. I need to decide if I want the weapons to be giving off some sort of movement trails like I'm sorta showing in the post I made on Aug 22.

I also need to figure out if I want to do more work on the background or not. Originally I wanted to show her ship (possibly in combat with another ship) and maybe like a planet, but I'm concerned that they will visually junk up the composition. Guess I'll be playing with it tomorrow to see if i can come up with something that will work or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you put something else into the composition, maybe move her a little more to the right and take advantage of your thirds.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something about her skin.. her skin tone seems way too yellow. She looks sickly. And it's not reflecting light from the swords as I believe it should at least faintly do. Just tossing this out there. Her skin should have a more pale gray/pink/peach hue. (Depending on saturation.)

Cosmic Fusion

CRIT WEEK. FUCK YEAH.
    CRITIQUE CENTER

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Divine Oblivion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Movement of the swords would look really cool. I think the picture is a little off-balanced and needs something on the left, but not something that detracts from the main character. Too much like fighting ships and a planet will overpower the main focus. I think just a planet is nice and subtle and seems to fit the mood of the piece. When I think of a spaceship and/or one in combat, it just seems to clash with her. Not sure why--maybe it is her pose and the serene look on her face.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to anjyil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for the feedback. I played with where she is in the frame as well as her skin tone. A'mihisss was right that it looked odd (even though her natural skin tone is yellowish green).

I think I'm about finished with this. I'm going to let it marinate tonight and if I'm still happy with it I'll post it up in the finished forum. I dropped the weapon trails as well as the space ship, they just weren't working with the composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final version can be found in my It's Finally Finished thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.