Team Chow II: Ken-Do-Pu-En-Ds
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Chow II: Ken-Do-Pu-En-Ds

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Team Chow II: Ken-Do-Pu-En-Ds

Last edited by Sirkenneth; August 4th, 2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added a member! changed name
    [CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, what I had in mind is something in the way of the Greek myths. With the blending of Gods and mortals. I think that gives us a good amount of fantastical freedom. We can create something as grand as Gods or the gritty mortal heroes who stand by them. Another idea was the "messengers" of the Gods. A type of demi God creature thing that would visit the humans and do the particular Gods bidding.
    So, by Gods I mean any thing. Most of the old old religions had Gods for everything under the sun-so our options are pretty much limitless.

I dont know if this sounds interesting to any of you- its time to brainstorm! its going to be rough because we are on such different time zones, but this thread should help!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops, and a major hickup has arrived! My CS3 trail is over! sooooo....hrm, anyone have a key?? PM Me

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post

TEAM CHOW II: GOOD AND EVIL
    DESCRIPTION

This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.

ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]

Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!

The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!

Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.

On to the nitty-gritty:

Here are the rules!

1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!

Okay, NOW GO!

--------

SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
    6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.

And thanks so much to Zhanglu of Massive Black Shanghai who created to help get this contest get off to a great start!

Thanks, and Good Luck!

Edit deux:

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Watson View Post

-=GUIDELINES=-

• Follow the Character Brief to the best of your ability.

What this means: The Brief is where you find the details of the character for the given week. Often times there will be tidbits of vital information included in the Brief that you will not find by going just by the thread header.
    Why: As CHOW is in part designed to give you some real world experience in character design, you are encouraged to read the brief and do some research on the character that week when necessary. Briefs vary greatly from assignment to assignment or client to client in a job situation, and so to here in CHOW.

• Art created *only* for this activity will be accepted.

What this means: This means that CHOW requires you to create original artwork for the given week. Paint overs of other people's work is strictly forbidden.
    Why: CHOW is about pushing your limits as much as possible. You do not benefit in any way, shape or form by copping out and submitting work that has been created previously for something else (either a personal project or for a client).
    Furthermore, paint overs (of artwork or photographs) are viewed very, very dimly by the hosts, and are considered cheating.

• One Entry Only.

What this means: One entry per entrant.
    Why: While we encourage prolific illustration, it would rapidly get well out of hand for orchestrating the poll, therefore for our sanity, and yours; One entry only.

• Minimum 3/4 character must be visible. No busts or head shots.

What this means: A three quarters view of a humanoid character is required. Head shots, or busts, are greatly admired and some of the best artwork every done has been done in this style, and they can convey a great deal about the character being illustrated. However, in CHOW, character expression is expressed through so much more than just the face. The stance, position of arms, hands, accouterments, costuming design all help convey who the individual is that you are illustrating.
    Why: Mostly because we want to see you can do. How well can you illustrate the human form, or any other form for that matter? Further to this is how well can you express an emotion through that form?

• Background imagery NOT NECESSARY unless indicated by the brief.
      Otherwise feel free to include it.

What this means: Include a background image or not. It's up to you. Unless the brief says otherwise.
    Why: Backgrounds are not the focus of CHOW.
    • Color or Black and White.

What this means: You can work in color or black and white.
    Why: Both color and black and white can be very powerful tools of illustration, and each artist uses them differently.
    • Any medium is accepted, except photography.

What this means: You can submit work that is created digitally, or traditionally. However, photography is not accepted.
    Why: CHOW is about illustration, be it on a computer or canvas. Photography is not illustration therefore not accepted.

However, sculpture is accepted because it is done by hand.

• No sketches for finals - we want finished work, just like the rest of the Weeklies.

What this means: Finished work is a fairly relative term. Review some of Wes Burt's or Marko's work (or John Singer Sargent for that matter) to see drawings that technically are sketches, but would be accepted in CHOW.
    Why: For our purposes here, a sketch is a unfinished thought. A drawing (including artistically unfinished ones) are a complete thought - either completed by the artist, or by the viewer.

• Remember: Focus your illustration. Pay attention to anatomy, shape, form, lighting, etc. USE REFERENCE.

What this means: Too often beginners try to do everything. Don't. Slow down and THINK about what you are attempting to convey - what you want to say. Look critically at what you are doing, and why you are doing it. Don't just throw everything into the picture including the kitchen sink just because it's within arms' reach. On the same note, don't use a every color on the pallet just because it's there. Color conveys emotion. Fewer colors will have a stronger impact in the illustration.
    Why: You illustration will have more impact, and therefore stand a greater chance of going to poll, and getting votes if you know what you are doing. If you're not sure what you're doing, or how to do something, ask someone or experiment first before just throwing everything into your final.

On using reference: Reference is considered to be typically the use of an object, person, animal or location in photographic form to study so that you understand how to illustrate said object, person, animal or location. In regards to CHOW direct copying is strongly discouraged, along with paint overs (taking a photograph into photoshop or painter or other program and using a layer on top to either smudge or trace the photograph in part or in whole, regardless of whether you own the rights to the photograph or not). In fact, using someone else's photograph for your own artwork, or elements there of, is considered plagiarism and is forbidden in CHOW.

• Please include accurate copyright information when submitting your entry.

What this means: It means that we'll need you to tell us how you are filling out the copyright form when you upload to the CA attachment manager. This means name (usually if we're not sure, we put it under the username, but you may specify another), image catagory, sub catagory, genre and media.
    Why: Because of the new attachment system, we need accurate copyright information in case your image is posted anywhere else with regards to chow. (For example, the winner's thread.) We can usually guess, but it is much easier (and accurate) if you simply provide the information along with your final burning entry, and we will be requesting this from now on.

Ken-Do-Pu-En I guess < ---haha Pooo'en That's hilarious.

n Sweeeeet.

Well, let's see what we got here.
    I know sepu wanted an Egyptian theme too.
    My mind is dancing around future themes and twisted characters,
    but like I said to sepu, it's all about adaptation, and I'm all for pushing myself more, even if it makes me cry.
    I've always wanted to try out demi-Gods and God of Pancakes. whatever ever.

How about whatever theme comes up, but we move it into the future, or different Universe.
    Parallel characters or something sci-fi, but we'll add magic and stuff just to keep to the fantasy theme. wooo

email: dwardo

This timezone is going to be heeelariousss.
    But this be the base, and email addy is still handy.

yallo!

Last edited by vardoburrito; August 15th, 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ken-Do-Pu-En it is! hahaha!

I think I might just have my mum mail me my old CS2 legal stuff... I need photoshop so bad!

I am all for anything that evolves! I guess we can do sci-fi fantasy...? Im not entirely sure! We need some references for mood and characters, start your sketches! Do we want to go for a realism? Or something stylized?
    This will be interesting!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting indeed. sepu's asleep
    vshen is a noob when it comes to forums. [buahahah]
    Hi George!

[Can you re-install CS3 trial?] and run for another month?
    I'd vote for inbetween realism and stylised.

edit:
    Let's all start collecting images we're interested in that we can apply on a theme
    that we decide on.

So far.
    Greek Mythology
    Egyptian Mythology
    Futuristic Mythology [donuts eating people]

For me, anything works, as long as we can put some human traits in there.

1 questions I'd like to ask into this theme, that we've yet to decided on, is;
    What makes us human? It's pretty much what all mythology revolves around, no?

Last edited by vardoburrito; August 3rd, 2009 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WorldClock just to give us an idea of where everyone is on their day. 3 timezones man, heeelariousss.

Photobucket account for more image dumps. And make it Private.

High Fantasy [wiki]

Last edited by vardoburrito; August 4th, 2009 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, and I am going camping for like 3 days this week!
    we'll see how it goes!

I am going to get some cs2 later this week.
    I will stick to pencil sketches for now.
    I would vote for something in between too.

Hmm. your philosophical question is a complicated one!
    What makes us human-The biggest frontal lobe, ability to stand, and a thumb!
    Philosophically it might be our need to understand-thus the making of Gods and
    such. because we cannot understand it all.

I will work on some picture compilations tonight,
    for now a sketch with the future Egyptian alien thing. No greek... but maybe some rune stones?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    [CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kenny, have you tried advanced edit on the first post to change the Thread title name?
    Or has the moderators disabled that function.

A bumpy start, but as long as we settle on some basics, it's all good.

sweet ... Sarah and George please share your addy.
    Oh. aaaaa ... Sarah, meet George. George meet Sarah. Hallo!

And that sketch looks promising already Kenneth.

Last edited by vardoburrito; August 18th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good idea Dwardo! The clock is nice.
    It is pretty complicated but it should work out.
    a day at a time. You and I seem to be on during the same times.

My e-mail is kenny_yarus@hotmail.com
    pretty simple! A photobucket is a good idea too, we just need to post our WIP stuff here for the official CHOW sketchbook for the team. I dont have a photobucket thing either? Is that shiz free?

I need to go water my plants.

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dwardo-never saw the option its not apart of the editable info. I think a mod can change it for us. No worries.

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the Bucket be free.

And I should be up, it's 3noon here, you're folkin midnight zombie shiet. hahaha.

Sweet, let me get some stuff together.
    But I'll wait for George and Sarah to have some input.
    Email addies you two. Ks.

Reference and moods. Start your brain massage exercises.
    ~I am Neo, I, will, kick, ass

Last edited by vardoburrito; August 3rd, 2009 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MUST MUST MUST

Subscribe to this thread guys. Atop this email thread, there's 'Thread Tools' [do it from there] and then enable email notification.

Please make a folder in your email inbox to sort this out. It's going to get messy. hahaha.

Camping Kenny? You better find some kick ass inspirations in there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You guys are goin' ROOOCK!

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOOOkahie! I will have to sign up.

3 noon is pretty nice-but you should be out and aboot in that Australian sun! Its only 10 here, lol! Perfect time to sink into the world wide web, like a luscious bubble bath!
    References and mood- ON IT! We'll have to wait til tomorrow to see if anything we compile adds up to much!

Ive got it subscribed! Good to go!

Camping is indeed to most inspiring thing of all! Sleeping under the stars, listening to the ocean-fighting off the spiders and ants? mosquitoes? No showering. The whole thing... inspiring ...
    ALSO- Jail house-Thanks man! This CHOW stuff is FUN!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah, camping, doing a big deuce while a kangaroo stares at you, freighteningly funny. In NZ I think it's sheeps the size of cows that stare back at you. Hi Jail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahaha, I wish it was just a kangaroo! We have black bears! Worst thing in aussie land are those damn spiders! Gah!
    Also Dwardo- I have a photobucket. Turns out. It still has some crappy art from a few years back! hahah!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kenny:
    -Spiders are over hyped. I've been here 20 years and I've yet to see a Red back.
    It's all bs man, they're harmless [said an idiot].
    -The Bucket is just a backup really if the email attachments are full.

*Kicks the Battle Drums to the ground. Spins Kenny G.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I grew up watching the Discovery Channel! I have seen what those spiders do! Australia is too hot anyway. I want to visit New Zealand!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aaaa ... pfffft ... Discover channel, bahahaha .... it's all edited man.
    Editing and mood soundtracks, I spit, on Discover Channel.
    If you get here, you'll find that the Outback is serene.
    Silent.

Like no one is alive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok finally signed up Still catching with everything but getting there...lol

My email is artofgeorge@hotmail.com and I can be reached through msn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    buahahahaha, hallo EvanG/George.
    Deadline be the end of this month, is Rhonda free? I'd really love her lines man.
    "As long as it's still the 31st of August somewhere in the world. The submission will be accepted"

edit: ooops ... I've been linking to the base url all this time. doi!
    More Info

Email addys.
    Kenny
    George
    Sarah
    Dwardo

Hi Sarah.

EDIT EDIT blaaah
    What software is everyone using?
    Email me your softie so I can figure out whatever assets I have to share with.

Last edited by vardoburrito; August 3rd, 2009 at 03:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahhaa, well I might visit a place like that sometime...still seems too hot. Also-discovery has realllllly dropped in quality! I remember the good ol' days!

I will be running either CS3 or CS2. I dont what other software I should even have.

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirkenneth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    31st of August eh....kool..... I'm running CS3. Just like to say hi Kenny and Sarah Ed thanks for the invite man.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vshen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey vshen! Glad to have you on the team! Your work is great!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirkenneth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    George: Yea, it just happened by chance
    I just commented on my sb [which I hardly do, sorries] and then I saw your alias.
    That's "Georgio" I thought, Leonardo came on and it was confirmed.

cool cool.
    /d

Kenny: We get like, re-edits of the Discovery Channel broadcasted here. Some with
    Aussie accents, which don't sound serious half the time.

n CS3s cool cool, I thnk Sarah's using something ancient though, need to get her to update.

Last edited by vardoburrito; August 18th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn those discovery dubs!
    Its 1:30 am now. Sleepz time. We need more pictures! All we do is talk in here!
    On in 8 or 9 hours. Pitures to come.

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirkenneth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys that it's been a rough start for me. Today has been pretty hectic... trying to multi task everything but I am slowly getting there. I should get everything in order soon. Chat to you guys soon.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to vshen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problems George, will keep you update mate.

Everyone's next post must be a collection of mood images.
    Characters and all sorts. Something/anything that will sway each other to those sweet ideas.

I'll send some project-blocks in 12hrs.

//over and out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just checkin in, I'm going to run to central london, but in the evening I will catch up on all posted here and there, promise. and to make some sketches in opencanvas ( brilliant for sketching!) about my ideas

37. The Following User Says Thank You to sepu For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.