Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Nice one Debbie, yea being consistent is going to be vital for a sense of cohesion when we put all out our characters together. At the same time though, I think it's important that everyone be as creative as possible with their costume choices.

Spent a bit of time doing an ortho for the Orca, I imagine for a primary weapon he could have a giant whale rib bone sharpened down attached to a staff as a sickle. I also thinned him out a bit, I figured that he would split his time between water and land, therefore with all the swimming, he probably wouldn't carry as much bulk.

I've begun the thought process of differentiating between the light and dark side, some sketches of the two versions coming soon...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey tim that's awesome design progress so far. The size of the dude makes me believe he will have some very tall doorways in his people's architecture, huge towering domains with plenty of room. Clautriphobia could be very common with them.

I also like the inuit color idea, maybe take some of the paterns and designs and twist it to our needs. It would be pretty nice if done right.

Now about the opposite's, I'm thinking we could pull different general designs on the character and give them as much unique personality as possible.

I found a couple little resources

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ind...showtopic=4691
    -this has a couple nice diagrams involving the evolution of armor and other useful tidbits can be found... the chinese also have some cold climates.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=Inuit+artwork
    -I figure this might help us out a bit

Thanks
    Shawn - I agree 100% if armor suits your character I'm all for it! I can imagine that normal to smaller characters would for sure be wearing armor for protection. It would only make sense. Maybe incorporate some inuit design into that armor? That'd be neat.

Let myself go and had a fun little sketch of the big dude in action!

RAWR!

Thanks
    Tim, luv the big guy in action.

Shawn, I like the connection you made with the Asian colder climate. It opens up a lot more resource references.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Side view Orca ortho, final.

I dropped the webbed fingers, too frogman.

Thanks
    I love how you reshaped the head Tim and yes, dropping the webbed hands was probably a good idea. I'm not reading his tattoos as Inuit though .... I'm getting more of a British Columbia native art work kinda theme. And I really thought that the boots and pants idea worked so well..... it really gave him a powerful appearance. Don't get me wrong I really like the new look, its very meso-american looking. But I gotta say I like your first idea best.

Last edited by Razorleaf; August 7th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Update for Foxtayl .....

Thanks
    Debbie says:
    Welcome to the Third Meeting of Team Obsidian ....
    Just give me a "nudge" when you guys are ready to start
    Shawn says:
    hello hello
    workin on some more designs for the general outfits, might do without the helmet look
    Debbie says:
    Are you gonna post them so we can see them before the meeting starts ...... please please pretty please
    Shawn says:
    I'm still workin on em... sorry
    I'll see if I can get them pumped through durring if I can
    Debbie says:
    Well you still have a few minutes before we start .....
    Shawn says:
    of course.
    I'll see what I can pull off here...
    Although I do like tims idea and how it's fleshing out.
    Debbie says:
    Great ... I'd love to see what you are working on
    Shawn says:
    too bad I haven't any clue on how to use opencanvas one
    Debbie says:
    I agree Tims idea is really coming to life
    what is "opencanvas one"
    Shawn says:
    the freebe openCanvas
    I found it online a couple months ago trying to search for something else to paint through
    Debbie says:
    Paint thru!? ..... do you have photoshop or corel painted?
    Shawn says:
    I have photoshop but I don't have painter...
    I just mostly wanted to see what options there are, and with this opencanvas, there is online coop painting...
    http://wistinga.online.fr/opencanvas/
    Debbie says:
    Cool .... it never hurts to explore all our options, cause you never know where it will take you
    Shawn says:
    yep
    It's like choosing between mediums, each one has it's own use and limits.
    Debbie says:
    I so agree ..... I started sketching and painting using traditional tools and I am so use to them .... now I have to make the huge leap to digital and it is so different
    Shawn says:
    I think that digital should be treated as traditional in the aspect of how the execution should be approached.... (that and a lot of experimentation)
    Debbie says:
    hahahahah
    Shawn says:
    I do like the wide range of color choices, I'm also thinking of when I have more funds I'll try my hand using Zorn's basic palette, just gotta get me the funds for it
    that and some acrylic medium, gesso, and maybe a few more larger brushes...
    Debbie says:
    So you use traditional tools then!?
    Shawn says:
    I wish, I haven't had too much time to use them properly, I'd like to try my hand at oil paint too.
    Debbie says:
    aaaaahhhhhhh OILs ...... petewy! I never could use them properly. I like to smudge and blend too mush to use them right.
    Shawn says:
    Have you tried glazing, going though layer by layer to get it to have that glowy look to it
    Debbie says:
    nope!
    Shawn says:
    It does take a bit of time so I've heard, but the results can be amazing
    Debbie says:
    There are a million techniques out there and I can only hope to learn and master a handful of them.
    Shawn says:
    Ah but there is only one goal there; push yourself as far as possible before the inevitable
    Debbie says:
    So true!
    OK Shawn we might as well get started, it looks like Tim and Aaron will not be attending tonight
    Shawn says:
    awww
    (tim and aaron not showing)
    not the meeting
    Debbie says:
    Well, I can wait til 8:30 for them I guess. Besides it will give you a chance to post an update on your character
    Shawn says:
    It's alright, by the way, how has your little foxy girl been turning out
    Debbie says:
    I posted an update in our sketchbook just before 8, why not take a peek and let me know what you think
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156
    Shawn says:
    I like how its turning out
    Debbie says:
    Thanks, any suggestions?
    Shawn says:
    I'd probably work the forms of the ears, maybe work some subtle designs in the clothes,
    Debbie says:
    What about hte color pallet .... do you think it will work for the overall finsihed painting
    Shawn says:
    I think so
    Debbie says:
    I also wanted to touch base on the light source, it will help to know where it is coming from as we develop the characters
    I was thinking having it in the upper left hand corner
    If we stay consistent then it will be easier to merge all four characters.
    Shawn says:
    With each character having to be in separate paintings, we can have some freedom with the light source I think
    Debbie says:
    Wait - separate paintings!? What about the final image when we put them all togther
    It will look pretty starnge if the light source is all over the place
    hang on a sec - I will be right back
    Shawn says:
    I think that is part of the rules, unfortunately... But I don't see a problem with having a couple images that have the good and bad together to help tie things together
    Debbie says:
    I'm back ....
    I don't think having them on separate canvasses is part of the rules Shawn. It is an option that some of the last team opts for but most of the final images the characters were merged onto one canvas
    I will re-read them now though, hang on a sec
    Shawn I can't find it anywhere that says the final images will be separate and on their own canvas.
    Can you remember where you read it?
    Shawn says:
    Well with it being 6 individual portraits, I came to the conclusion that they had to be individual
    Debbie says:
    Last time one of the teams decided to do "cards". Their final image was a single canvas with a frame and all their characters inside it. They also submitted individual "cards".
    It was very nice.
    Since we have to do 6 or 8 characters - each with a good character and an evil character ..... I thought we talked about doing a face-off kind of theme. So we would have all 16 characters on one canvas
    Shawn says:
    I think that's more the idea with the final image.
    It would be interesting
    Debbie says:
    OK, I am not sure what you are trying to say Shawn...
    Shawn says:
    I was talking about the previous sentence... sorry
    Debbie says:
    huh!?
    Shawn says:
    Last time one of the teams decided to do "cards". Their final image was a single canvas with a frame and all their characters inside it. They also submitted individual "cards".
    sorry copy paste
    forgot the qoute marks
    Debbie says:
    I am still not understanding you sorry. We all have to work on our two characters ..... then one of us will take the 8 characters and merge them onto the background/environment
    So yes we will originally have them on one canvas but what it submitted will only be one canvas with 8 characters on it.
    Shawn says:
    Ok
    I see now, sorry bout the confusion
    Debbie says:
    This is why I thought that we should discuss the light source
    Please do not apologize ...... I could be wrong. hahahah
    Shawn says:
    I'd say we should definately talk with Daestwin on this issue.
    Debbie says:
    Since Tim has done some nice environments I thought he would be perfect to merge all 8 onto one canvas for submission.
    ok..... I can PM her and ask her to clarify - great idea!
    Shawn says:
    Cool
    Debbie says:
    Did you receive her last response - I fwd her email to everyone
    Shawn says:
    I did
    Debbie says:
    Great!
    ok then, I will ask Daestwen and then report back to everyone as soon as she gets back to me
    Shawn says:
    It would be awesome to have a piece in there to depict the two sides fighting, at least as a sketch though
    Debbie says:
    I agree
    ok, is there anything else I should ask her while I'm at it
    Shawn says:
    ummm, can I haz cookie? (i'm joking)
    Debbie says:
    Alot of other teams are doing the fighting scene
    hahahahhahahahahahah
    ok, so when should we get together again?
    What about Monday, same time?
    Shawn says:
    Sounds good to me
    hopefully we can get some time with our teammates
    Debbie says:
    Ok, in the meantime I am still going to work with a light source in the top left hand corner. It will help if we are all consistent.
    I know .... I am starting to worry about Aaron. I don't think he has come to any meeting thus far. Tim has missed two our of three but he is posting inthe sketchbook so we know he is keeping up.
    Shawn says:
    well if worst comes to worst, He'll probably not be counted against us...
    I dunno
    Debbie says:
    This is another thing I will ask Daestwen
    Shawn says:
    I might omit some parts of this conversation though
    I don't want Aaron to feel unwelcome
    Debbie says:
    Try not to edit toooo much cause we need everyone on the team to know what was talked about
    Shawn says:
    Mostly just the last few little statements involving aaron...
    Debbie says:
    It is important that Dae and the other judges to know what transpired in our team.
    Aaron should know that we "notice" his absence!
    I will email him and ask him his status if you want me to
    Shawn says:
    hmmm... alright if you feel that it would be best to have the whole thing I won't mind, However Aaron; when you do read this, please dont think of us as bad peeps, we just worry :/
    If you won't mind, I would appreciate it.
    Debbie says:
    No probem ...... I will send it out tonight
    Shawn says:
    I'm sure Tim would also, it would help keep problems at a minimum if dealt with early on.
    Debbie says:
    No prob ...... I will sending everything out tonight and then fwd everyone the responses when they come in.
    Have you had a chance to post in the sketchbook tonight ....
    Shawn says:
    no sorry, I haven't but I'll be posting after work... (I do love the overnight )
    GRAVEYARD SHIFT OOOYYYY
    Debbie says:
    Been there, done that hahahahah
    ok, so lets meet up again on Monday - same time
    Shawn says:
    Excellent, and Debbie do you want this conversation to remain unedited.
    Debbie says:
    Sure why not!?
    Shawn says:
    Alrighty then.
    Debbie says:
    Are you going to be online for a while yet?
    Shawn says:
    nah, I have to get ready for work really quick.
    Debbie says:
    ok, then talk to you tomorrow
    Shawn says:
    Got me the friday hell rush at MacDonald's.... fatty food and fatty air... ewwwww.
    Debbie says:
    Oh I haven'[t had MacDonalds food in a long long time hahahahah
    Shawn says:
    Let's just say that if I was working somewhere else, I would be a starving artist
    Debbie says:
    hahahahaha ....... I luv those nuggets
    Shawn says:
    although I wouldn't pay for that crap even if it was with someone elses money
    Sorry I've seen things that would turn people away from that food for a couple lifetimes
    Debbie says:
    You don't need to tell me - I KNOW
    ok, go to work and by the time you get back online tomorrow you will have some answers
    Shawn says:
    ah you've had your time under the macman
    Debbie says:
    hahahahhahahahahahhahaha you are SO funny. NO, I actually never worked at MacDonalds. My daughter is majoring in biology and she tells me some horror stories. And, I know lots of people who have.
    Shawn says:
    Ah ok
    Yeah, text based humor is a little easier for me, timing in real life is always so much harder to deal with
    Debbie says:
    hhahahahaahah ......... I bet you are witty in real life. We are going to have to do a conference meeting before this whole thing is over.
    I video conference my daughter all the time
    Hey, maybe we should do it on Monday
    Are you up for it
    Shawn says:
    I don't have video and unfortunately I have to solder a wire to my headset before it can work
    Debbie says:
    oh ok..... do you have a mic. You could still join in
    Shawn says:
    That's what's screwed with my headset
    It's just one wire though, if I can get the iron it should be an easy fix but I have to be very careful.
    Ah well. Even so I wouldn't mind if I could
    Debbie says:
    OK you work on it and let me know
    Shawn says:
    ok
    Have yourself a good one alright!
    Debbie says:
    you too Shawn! ttyl
    Shawn says:
    ok

Thanks
    Sorry guys for posting kinda late. But anyway, on a meeting with Debbie, I said I would make a human/elf battlemage(supposedly male) which is sent to the arctic land by some empire/council.

(Battlemage = warrior + mage)

So I made a battlemage, but for some reason, whenever I draw from imagination, the char just turns into a girl.......Maybe I love girl tooo much........

Anyway, here it is. Flawed design, mediocre anatomy(I'll be having a constructive figure drawing class tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get some crits on anatomy), and a damned excuse for a rendered painting.......Will be work more it though..........Of course.............

Anyway, I think I'll have to tweak it a lot to make it more fitting with the setting.....But that's for tomorrow~

Still I kinda like the big idea, heavy armor, wings, staff and a mace!

To Shawn and Debbie, don't worry, I feel pretty bad myself for missing the meetings and being lazy about the updates.

About tomorrow, I'll be able to get on internet by around 4 30. So perhaps I will able to be on MSN~

Last edited by Aaron Death; August 8th, 2009 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks
    About some crits.

To debbie, I feel the right shoulder is kinda too large or something, but it isn't connecting very well I feel.

The color palette is working good, but since you put it in a neutral background would help, I think~

To tim, wonderful design! Anyway, I'm not too familiar with humanoid kinda char, so bad crits I guess~But anyway, I love how you make the ribcage lean forward to make it more animal like, instead of leaning backwards as in a human......But I think stronger/shorter legs would be necessary to balance it~

To shawn, pretty strong sketches, anyway, I don't think a curved sword fits an arctic setting though, at least in ma impression~I luv your armor design, sure seems like it belongs to a frozen land~Third and fourth are my favorite

Last edited by Aaron Death; August 8th, 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks
    Really glad to hear from you Aaron. And your character is coming along nicely! I think I like it without the wings. It will be interesting to see what you do with it.

Thanks
    First - sorry I couldn't make it last night guys, I had some dinner plans pop up.

Debbie - Nice update! Yea the webbed fingers were a bit much. I decided to drop the pants and boots cause I imagined that my character would split his time between the land and water (hence the tail and fin to aid him in swimming). So having the boots and pants would probably hinder his swimming ability and wouldn't make much sense. I opted instead for some seal skin trunks.

Aaron you mentioned you were having some trouble with the anatomy of you character, I'm no expert but I made a lil' video on the benefits of using a reference photo.

Also I didn't mention it in the video but using a picture with natural lighting is best, because flash photography ends up flattening out the subject.

Last edited by t i m; August 8th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to t i m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The video is excellent Tim, thank you.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1