Team Chow II: Team Obsidian - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Side view Orca ortho, final.

I dropped the webbed fingers, too frogman.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I love how you reshaped the head Tim and yes, dropping the webbed hands was probably a good idea. I'm not reading his tattoos as Inuit though .... I'm getting more of a British Columbia native art work kinda theme. And I really thought that the boots and pants idea worked so well..... it really gave him a powerful appearance. Don't get me wrong I really like the new look, its very meso-american looking. But I gotta say I like your first idea best.

Last edited by Razorleaf; August 7th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Update for Foxtayl .....

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Debbie says:
    Welcome to the Third Meeting of Team Obsidian ....
    Just give me a "nudge" when you guys are ready to start
    Shawn says:
    hello hello
    workin on some more designs for the general outfits, might do without the helmet look
    Debbie says:
    Are you gonna post them so we can see them before the meeting starts ...... please please pretty please
    Shawn says:
    I'm still workin on em... sorry
    I'll see if I can get them pumped through durring if I can
    Debbie says:
    Well you still have a few minutes before we start .....
    Shawn says:
    of course.
    I'll see what I can pull off here...
    Although I do like tims idea and how it's fleshing out.
    Debbie says:
    Great ... I'd love to see what you are working on
    Shawn says:
    too bad I haven't any clue on how to use opencanvas one
    Debbie says:
    I agree Tims idea is really coming to life
    what is "opencanvas one"
    Shawn says:
    the freebe openCanvas
    I found it online a couple months ago trying to search for something else to paint through
    Debbie says:
    Paint thru!? ..... do you have photoshop or corel painted?
    Shawn says:
    I have photoshop but I don't have painter...
    I just mostly wanted to see what options there are, and with this opencanvas, there is online coop painting...
    http://wistinga.online.fr/opencanvas/
    Debbie says:
    Cool .... it never hurts to explore all our options, cause you never know where it will take you
    Shawn says:
    yep
    It's like choosing between mediums, each one has it's own use and limits.
    Debbie says:
    I so agree ..... I started sketching and painting using traditional tools and I am so use to them .... now I have to make the huge leap to digital and it is so different
    Shawn says:
    I think that digital should be treated as traditional in the aspect of how the execution should be approached.... (that and a lot of experimentation)
    Debbie says:
    hahahahah
    Shawn says:
    I do like the wide range of color choices, I'm also thinking of when I have more funds I'll try my hand using Zorn's basic palette, just gotta get me the funds for it
    that and some acrylic medium, gesso, and maybe a few more larger brushes...
    Debbie says:
    So you use traditional tools then!?
    Shawn says:
    I wish, I haven't had too much time to use them properly, I'd like to try my hand at oil paint too.
    Debbie says:
    aaaaahhhhhhh OILs ...... petewy! I never could use them properly. I like to smudge and blend too mush to use them right.
    Shawn says:
    Have you tried glazing, going though layer by layer to get it to have that glowy look to it
    Debbie says:
    nope!
    Shawn says:
    It does take a bit of time so I've heard, but the results can be amazing
    Debbie says:
    There are a million techniques out there and I can only hope to learn and master a handful of them.
    Shawn says:
    Ah but there is only one goal there; push yourself as far as possible before the inevitable
    Debbie says:
    So true!
    OK Shawn we might as well get started, it looks like Tim and Aaron will not be attending tonight
    Shawn says:
    awww
    (tim and aaron not showing)
    not the meeting
    Debbie says:
    Well, I can wait til 8:30 for them I guess. Besides it will give you a chance to post an update on your character
    Shawn says:
    It's alright, by the way, how has your little foxy girl been turning out
    Debbie says:
    I posted an update in our sketchbook just before 8, why not take a peek and let me know what you think
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156
    Shawn says:
    I like how its turning out
    Debbie says:
    Thanks, any suggestions?
    Shawn says:
    I'd probably work the forms of the ears, maybe work some subtle designs in the clothes,
    Debbie says:
    What about hte color pallet .... do you think it will work for the overall finsihed painting
    Shawn says:
    I think so
    Debbie says:
    I also wanted to touch base on the light source, it will help to know where it is coming from as we develop the characters
    I was thinking having it in the upper left hand corner
    If we stay consistent then it will be easier to merge all four characters.
    Shawn says:
    With each character having to be in separate paintings, we can have some freedom with the light source I think
    Debbie says:
    Wait - separate paintings!? What about the final image when we put them all togther
    It will look pretty starnge if the light source is all over the place
    hang on a sec - I will be right back
    Shawn says:
    I think that is part of the rules, unfortunately... But I don't see a problem with having a couple images that have the good and bad together to help tie things together
    Debbie says:
    I'm back ....
    I don't think having them on separate canvasses is part of the rules Shawn. It is an option that some of the last team opts for but most of the final images the characters were merged onto one canvas
    I will re-read them now though, hang on a sec
    Shawn I can't find it anywhere that says the final images will be separate and on their own canvas.
    Can you remember where you read it?
    Shawn says:
    Well with it being 6 individual portraits, I came to the conclusion that they had to be individual
    Debbie says:
    Last time one of the teams decided to do "cards". Their final image was a single canvas with a frame and all their characters inside it. They also submitted individual "cards".
    It was very nice.
    Since we have to do 6 or 8 characters - each with a good character and an evil character ..... I thought we talked about doing a face-off kind of theme. So we would have all 16 characters on one canvas
    Shawn says:
    I think that's more the idea with the final image.
    It would be interesting
    Debbie says:
    OK, I am not sure what you are trying to say Shawn...
    Shawn says:
    I was talking about the previous sentence... sorry
    Debbie says:
    huh!?
    Shawn says:
    Last time one of the teams decided to do "cards". Their final image was a single canvas with a frame and all their characters inside it. They also submitted individual "cards".
    sorry copy paste
    forgot the qoute marks
    Debbie says:
    I am still not understanding you sorry. We all have to work on our two characters ..... then one of us will take the 8 characters and merge them onto the background/environment
    So yes we will originally have them on one canvas but what it submitted will only be one canvas with 8 characters on it.
    Shawn says:
    Ok
    I see now, sorry bout the confusion
    Debbie says:
    This is why I thought that we should discuss the light source
    Please do not apologize ...... I could be wrong. hahahah
    Shawn says:
    I'd say we should definately talk with Daestwin on this issue.
    Debbie says:
    Since Tim has done some nice environments I thought he would be perfect to merge all 8 onto one canvas for submission.
    ok..... I can PM her and ask her to clarify - great idea!
    Shawn says:
    Cool
    Debbie says:
    Did you receive her last response - I fwd her email to everyone
    Shawn says:
    I did
    Debbie says:
    Great!
    ok then, I will ask Daestwen and then report back to everyone as soon as she gets back to me
    Shawn says:
    It would be awesome to have a piece in there to depict the two sides fighting, at least as a sketch though
    Debbie says:
    I agree
    ok, is there anything else I should ask her while I'm at it
    Shawn says:
    ummm, can I haz cookie? (i'm joking)
    Debbie says:
    Alot of other teams are doing the fighting scene
    hahahahhahahahahahah
    ok, so when should we get together again?
    What about Monday, same time?
    Shawn says:
    Sounds good to me
    hopefully we can get some time with our teammates
    Debbie says:
    Ok, in the meantime I am still going to work with a light source in the top left hand corner. It will help if we are all consistent.
    I know .... I am starting to worry about Aaron. I don't think he has come to any meeting thus far. Tim has missed two our of three but he is posting inthe sketchbook so we know he is keeping up.
    Shawn says:
    well if worst comes to worst, He'll probably not be counted against us...
    I dunno
    Debbie says:
    This is another thing I will ask Daestwen
    Shawn says:
    I might omit some parts of this conversation though
    I don't want Aaron to feel unwelcome
    Debbie says:
    Try not to edit toooo much cause we need everyone on the team to know what was talked about
    Shawn says:
    Mostly just the last few little statements involving aaron...
    Debbie says:
    It is important that Dae and the other judges to know what transpired in our team.
    Aaron should know that we "notice" his absence!
    I will email him and ask him his status if you want me to
    Shawn says:
    hmmm... alright if you feel that it would be best to have the whole thing I won't mind, However Aaron; when you do read this, please dont think of us as bad peeps, we just worry :/
    If you won't mind, I would appreciate it.
    Debbie says:
    No probem ...... I will send it out tonight
    Shawn says:
    I'm sure Tim would also, it would help keep problems at a minimum if dealt with early on.
    Debbie says:
    No prob ...... I will sending everything out tonight and then fwd everyone the responses when they come in.
    Have you had a chance to post in the sketchbook tonight ....
    Shawn says:
    no sorry, I haven't but I'll be posting after work... (I do love the overnight )
    GRAVEYARD SHIFT OOOYYYY
    Debbie says:
    Been there, done that hahahahah
    ok, so lets meet up again on Monday - same time
    Shawn says:
    Excellent, and Debbie do you want this conversation to remain unedited.
    Debbie says:
    Sure why not!?
    Shawn says:
    Alrighty then.
    Debbie says:
    Are you going to be online for a while yet?
    Shawn says:
    nah, I have to get ready for work really quick.
    Debbie says:
    ok, then talk to you tomorrow
    Shawn says:
    Got me the friday hell rush at MacDonald's.... fatty food and fatty air... ewwwww.
    Debbie says:
    Oh I haven'[t had MacDonalds food in a long long time hahahahah
    Shawn says:
    Let's just say that if I was working somewhere else, I would be a starving artist
    Debbie says:
    hahahahaha ....... I luv those nuggets
    Shawn says:
    although I wouldn't pay for that crap even if it was with someone elses money
    Sorry I've seen things that would turn people away from that food for a couple lifetimes
    Debbie says:
    You don't need to tell me - I KNOW
    ok, go to work and by the time you get back online tomorrow you will have some answers
    Shawn says:
    ah you've had your time under the macman
    Debbie says:
    hahahahhahahahahahhahaha you are SO funny. NO, I actually never worked at MacDonalds. My daughter is majoring in biology and she tells me some horror stories. And, I know lots of people who have.
    Shawn says:
    Ah ok
    Yeah, text based humor is a little easier for me, timing in real life is always so much harder to deal with
    Debbie says:
    hhahahahaahah ......... I bet you are witty in real life. We are going to have to do a conference meeting before this whole thing is over.
    I video conference my daughter all the time
    Hey, maybe we should do it on Monday
    Are you up for it
    Shawn says:
    I don't have video and unfortunately I have to solder a wire to my headset before it can work
    Debbie says:
    oh ok..... do you have a mic. You could still join in
    Shawn says:
    That's what's screwed with my headset
    It's just one wire though, if I can get the iron it should be an easy fix but I have to be very careful.
    Ah well. Even so I wouldn't mind if I could
    Debbie says:
    OK you work on it and let me know
    Shawn says:
    ok
    Have yourself a good one alright!
    Debbie says:
    you too Shawn! ttyl
    Shawn says:
    ok

Thanks
    Sorry guys for posting kinda late. But anyway, on a meeting with Debbie, I said I would make a human/elf battlemage(supposedly male) which is sent to the arctic land by some empire/council.

(Battlemage = warrior + mage)

So I made a battlemage, but for some reason, whenever I draw from imagination, the char just turns into a girl.......Maybe I love girl tooo much........

Anyway, here it is. Flawed design, mediocre anatomy(I'll be having a constructive figure drawing class tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get some crits on anatomy), and a damned excuse for a rendered painting.......Will be work more it though..........Of course.............

Anyway, I think I'll have to tweak it a lot to make it more fitting with the setting.....But that's for tomorrow~

Still I kinda like the big idea, heavy armor, wings, staff and a mace!

To Shawn and Debbie, don't worry, I feel pretty bad myself for missing the meetings and being lazy about the updates.

About tomorrow, I'll be able to get on internet by around 4 30. So perhaps I will able to be on MSN~

Last edited by Aaron Death; August 8th, 2009 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks
    About some crits.

To debbie, I feel the right shoulder is kinda too large or something, but it isn't connecting very well I feel.

The color palette is working good, but since you put it in a neutral background would help, I think~

To tim, wonderful design! Anyway, I'm not too familiar with humanoid kinda char, so bad crits I guess~But anyway, I love how you make the ribcage lean forward to make it more animal like, instead of leaning backwards as in a human......But I think stronger/shorter legs would be necessary to balance it~

To shawn, pretty strong sketches, anyway, I don't think a curved sword fits an arctic setting though, at least in ma impression~I luv your armor design, sure seems like it belongs to a frozen land~Third and fourth are my favorite

Last edited by Aaron Death; August 8th, 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks
    Really glad to hear from you Aaron. And your character is coming along nicely! I think I like it without the wings. It will be interesting to see what you do with it.

Thanks
    First - sorry I couldn't make it last night guys, I had some dinner plans pop up.

Debbie - Nice update! Yea the webbed fingers were a bit much. I decided to drop the pants and boots cause I imagined that my character would split his time between the land and water (hence the tail and fin to aid him in swimming). So having the boots and pants would probably hinder his swimming ability and wouldn't make much sense. I opted instead for some seal skin trunks.

Aaron you mentioned you were having some trouble with the anatomy of you character, I'm no expert but I made a lil' video on the benefits of using a reference photo.

Also I didn't mention it in the video but using a picture with natural lighting is best, because flash photography ends up flattening out the subject.

Last edited by t i m; August 8th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to t i m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The video is excellent Tim, thank you.

Thanks
    HEEEYYYYYYYY AAAAARROOOONNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!1

Glad to see you postin dude. I like the concept so far there dude. Try out different things with him/ or even her if you want (Sexy halfelf battlemage chick sounds hot).

Maybe even working with the layers to help you out with the guide lines, I pretty much did the same thing with my thumbs, build a basic framework and then dressed it with heavy armor and coats and whatnot.

Tim that is an awesome vid there.

And thanks for the IM there Debbie

A couple modifications to the last thumbs plus some more; remember if there's pieces and parts you like and don't like, let me know I can play butcher!

Thanks
    Excellent CD!

I am kinda liking the guy on the far left, top row of the second set (long hair, sword in hand). He just seems to fit into our theme so well.

Thanks
    Update for Foxtayl ......

Thanks
    Shawn - great sketches, I agree with Debbie I like the guy with the long hair, but I also really like the helmet you drew on the guy in the first sketch. Looking forward to see which one you go with.

Debbie - She is really coming along! If I were to offer a bit of advice, the head is a tiny bit small, may want to make it a bit bigger. Other than that loving it, keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to t i m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another Foxtayl Update .....

Last edited by Razorleaf; August 10th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Heres my first sketch for my evil character ......... Silverfrost Icemoon. But I'm think I am going to try something rather unique (unique for me anyway hahaha).

Thanks

frigid dude in the middle of arctic hell

Debbie, your foxes are getting hot there gal!

Here's a bit more rendered image of the Arctic Swordsman

Thanks
    Shawn says:
    Hello hello
    Debbie says:
    Hi, I was about to give up on you guys
    Shawn says:
    Sorry bout runnin late, had a drier that I had to fix up
    Debbie says:
    No prob
    Shawn says:
    So hows been everything
    good I hope
    Debbie says:
    Have you checked the sketchbook today
    Shawn says:
    I checked and I like what I see
    Debbie says:
    Did you make any posts?
    Shawn says:
    Not yet but I was about too. Got the long haired dude a little more rendered, trying out a grisalle technique ~ kinda
    Debbie says:
    Great!
    I can't wait to see him
    Did you get the emails I fed from Daestwen?
    oops sorry .... forwarded from Daestwen
    Shawn says:
    The IM's yep
    Debbie says:
    good
    So we are now all on the same page
    I was thinking .... why don't we do 4 good characters and then one group image, and then 4 evil characters and another group image.
    I see other teams doing it and I think it will make for a great final setup
    That way we can have to backgrounds to work from
    oops sorry "two" background
    Shawn says:
    I'm sorry debbie, but unfortunately we can't do so. If you check Team Baguette's Final image here ; http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=156801
    I believe that's how daestwin wished it to be.
    Although a couple images in the sketchbook akin to what you are talking of wouldn't be a big problem
    Debbie says:
    In the last team chow they only one set of characters to do, so of course there would only be one final image. But this time we have two sets. If we do not do two separate final images then how do you propose we do it?
    Shawn says:
    I think one final image could be done, it's just a matter of layout
    four top four bottom
    two columns or pull a 9 square area and have one of the empty panels with something involving the team
    Debbie says:
    Oh no .... really ... I don't see anyone else doing that. We want to make the layout appealing to both good and evil characters.
    Do you mean for individual characters or the group image
    Shawn says:
    The group image
    the final image
    sorry
    Debbie says:
    Everyone else is doing side-by-side characters.
    For their final image I mean
    Shawn says:
    I'll have to see myself
    Debbie says:
    ok
    Are you looking?
    Shawn says:
    yep, that and trying to post my image in the SB
    Debbie says:
    Team Thundercats is coming along great but they are very high-fantasy
    ok
    oops "aren't very high-fantasy
    They look like everyday characters to me even though they are done extremely well
    Shawn he is coming along GREAT!
    I especially like the realism
    Shawn says:
    Thank you I try
    I'm still a bit wary of how I'm going to play with the color, I seen techniques that someone had on youtube involving color dodge but I dunno
    Debbie says:
    Just go slow and Tim, Aaron and I will help you along the way
    Shawn says:
    hehehehe thank you
    I;m mostly trying concepts I seen in the underpainting thread in the forum
    Debbie says:
    Good idea ....
    So are you going to have any kind of background with yours
    Who are we going to get to do the group image
    Shawn you type to damn slow ..... hahahahah
    Shawn says:
    I know
    Debbie says:
    Com'on boy faster faster .....
    Shawn says:
    If it's three words or less I can do it but otherwise
    Debbie says:
    Can you do an audio conference call?
    Shawn says:
    nope sorry... I tried to work the headset but it's boned
    I
    Debbie says:
    ok, no prob
    Shawn says:
    I'd have to remove the old solder first and that has a possiblity of fucking the little chip that connects the usb to the computer
    Debbie says:
    ok
    Shawn says:
    Sorry if you don't care for the cursing (son of a navy man with Irish bloodlines and all that)
    Debbie says:
    hahahahah, I know you said already. Thats some heritage you got there
    Shawn says:
    Have you seen 30 days of night?
    Debbie says:
    ok, so focus......how are we going to do our finals
    Yes, I am too damn sick of zombie slash vampire movies
    Hey do you wtch True Blood
    Shawn says:
    sorry I'm making you lose focus, but the conditions in that movie reflect the conditions we are trying to emulate. and no I haven't seen true blood... don't have those expensive channels.
    Debbie says:
    Hey, I watch it online
    Shawn says:
    I'll check it out when I can then
    Debbie says:
    You are going for a more urban arctic than I am. I am going for something more desolate
    Shawn says:
    I'm just figuring that even the arctic has a varying degree of civilization
    Debbie says:
    True
    But do our characters fit into it
    Shawn says:
    I think they all do
    Debbie says:
    I know mine and Tims probably don't ..... and some to think of it, yours doesn't really either
    REALLY! hahahhaahhaah
    What kind of background do you see Tims character in
    Shawn says:
    I think he's gonna be good to have around a icy slope near some water
    Debbie says:
    I see a isolated little village ... something out of Conan .... all covered in snow with dogs barking and small fires everywhere
    Did you read the summary of the novel I am writing that I posted in our sketchbook?
    Shawn says:
    yep, but I think things have changed as we worked on this so it might be incompatible with the characters...
    Debbie says:
    ok
    Shawn says:
    Although I think your method of writing could be used very well.
    Debbie says:
    As for as our timeline goes ... I was thinking 10 days for our good characters and 10 days for our evil characters and the 10 days to finish our finals. But at the rate we are going I don't even know if we will finish in time
    oh Thank you .......
    Aaron already asked me to do the write-ups
    Is that ok with you
    Shawn says:
    I was mostly thinking the final week be the best time to work on finals, but the first two would be time that we could spend organizing the thoughts and getting some thumbnails and roughs done and then on the third week we all get our final image figured out and fourth week we execute. Considering that august ends the 31st, we still have a bit of time.
    Debbie says:
    I hope you are right!
    Shawn says:
    Well with the roughs we could bring them up to the level polish people are expecting through the last week there.
    Debbie says:
    The only trouble is we have to do two of everything
    Shawn says:
    It's still good, just gotta be diligent
    Debbie says:
    ok, I won't worry
    OK, back to the final image design
    The reason I am making such a big deal out if it is because of the lighting. If we all have the light source the same then merging our final images will not be so hard.
    But if we all have different light sources then final image will look rediculous
    I went for a top left hand corner, and I will probably do the opposite for my evil character
    Shawn says:
    I think mostly if the images are good regardless of common lighting, it will all still work out well.
    Debbie says:
    But the should be consistent in the final image ... people (judges) will be able to tell easily if we have not come togther on this point
    Some of the other teams are doing incredible backgrounds with the individual images which allows them great flexibility but they are consistent in the final image
    And speaking of finals ...... what should I put down for you "job" in the team
    Shawn says:
    I wouldn't mind being the secretary
    Debbie says:
    oops nope I already got yours .... its Aaron's that I don't have
    You ARE secretary hahahahahahaha
    Shawn says:
    sorry I'm having a bit of cerebral flatulence
    Debbie says:
    me too hahahahaha
    Shawn says:
    *brainfart* CALL KGB
    Debbie says:
    ok, well for now I am simply going to finish my characters
    I will have a top left hand corner for my good character and a top right hand corner for my evil character
    hang on Shawn i will be right back ok
    Shawn says:
    ok
    I was thinking the two rows probably be best personally, having good on top and bad on the bottom (pushing the polar opposites)
    Debbie says:
    I'm back
    Do you mena for you final image
    The final image has one background and all the characters on it.....
    Shawn says:
    I was thinking about the teams final image.
    Debbie says:
    How can you have them on top of each other and still have it make sense
    Shawn says:
    But our individual finals we could have side by side
    Debbie says:
    oh ...
    Shawn says:
    Or a straight row of 8 with the good placements mirroring the evil
    G1 g2 g3 g4 e4 e3 e2 e1
    Debbie says:
    YES, I think I get it. ok, I will have one panel for my characters but two separate image - both facing each other.
    Shawn says:
    I think that the images still have to be separate though
    Debbie says:
    so the G1 thing is for the final image ..... right!?
    Shawn says:
    No it's supposed to be good dude 1.2.3.and 4 with evil dude 4 next to Good dude 4 and going backwards from there
    Evil dude 4 3 2 and 1
    Debbie says:
    Shawn are you talking about the final image?
    Shawn says:
    yep
    Debbie says:
    oh good
    Shawn says:
    sorry
    I tend to go on different tangents alot
    Debbie says:
    ok then i think I understand what you are talking about and yes, I agree with your format
    Shawn says:
    I think the layout would be best to show the characters on equal ground rather than good over evil
    Debbie says:
    ok ... so then my idea about the light will work great then
    and having my good character face right and my evil character face left is going to work really good too
    ok, I'm all set
    Shawn says:
    I think we should really get a good look at the reference that ms Daestwin gave us, I see the lighting and color is all different, various and unique in each, yet all coincide with each other
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...0&postcount=12
    The final post of the winners of last TChow
    Debbie says:
    ok, Shawn in the example you just gave me that team submitted one final image broken up into panels, each with its own background and light source
    I am talking something different .....
    Other teams did one background with the characters all placed in it, and that is what I think we should do. Picture x-men face off ...... good on one side facing evil on the other.
    Shawn says:
    I'm sorry give me just a second, I have to give my dog his meds.
    Debbie says:
    hahahah ...... ok
    Shawn says:
    I'm back, anyhow. I was mostly concerned with how Daestwin wanted us to organize the final image. and considering her example we should definately follow suit. I would hate to see us disqualified for something as small as how the thing is set up
    It could make a difference in how things are voted on too
    Debbie says:
    What example ...... the only example she gave us was the one done by the man in Asia
    The example you gave me is not in the description anywhere
    Shawn says:
    But it was the example that Daestwin gave us in the pm that you sent to us
    If I recall
    Debbie says:
    hang on I'm going to re-read it
    Shawn says:
    "You will need eight seperate images, as well as a combined image, but this time please do the combined image as simply all eight lined up, like team baguette's entry in the last team chow."
    Debbie says:
    oh , ok !!
    So then I have nothing to worry about
    Shawn says:
    Yep we can have all unique lighting situations and even some difference in palettes, just as long as things look similar enough to work
    Debbie says:
    Cool .... that works for me !
    Shawn says:
    So now we have our final image all situated, I'll do a quicky sketch describing it. so that everyone is on the good footing with everything
    Debbie says:
    YES! Excellent Mr. Secretary hahahhahahaahahahhh
    Shawn says:
    Awesome
    Debbie says:
    ok, I'm happy now ........ so then we are done for tonight right?
    Shawn says:
    If you wish, I have all night long to work
    Debbie says:
    Will you please post this to the sketchbook for the others
    Shawn says:
    alrighty
    Debbie says:
    I'd like to chat more but it is 9:20 here and I still have a ton of things to do
    Shawn says:
    Ok
    It's all good
    Debbie says:
    So when will the next meeting be
    Shawn says:
    maybe wednesday...
    sorry I could never spell that day correct
    Debbie says:
    Lets make it Thursday this time....it will give the other two more time
    Shawn says:
    And it won't be friday so they might be more able to join in the conversation
    Debbie says:
    Yes, right!
    How much drama/action are putting into your images
    Shawn says:
    I'll try my best to have as much as possible but I don't want the drama to overtake the character's appearance
    I'd like to have the evil dude standing over a fire as if he was a leader of a raider group
    Debbie says:
    My characters lack action .... so this time I'm thinking on doing somthing a bit over-the-top for me.
    Ya, thats a good idea shawn
    Shawn says:
    I'd say do some thumbnails of different gestures and see which one pops up more for you
    Debbie says:
    I don't think that will work this time around ..... I'm thinking on doing something that has less substance and more glow
    I dont' know ..... I will work on it and see
    Shawn says:
    It's all good
    Debbie says:
    ok, talk to you on Thursday - same time
    Shawn says:
    Awesome, I'll write it out on the end of the post
    Debbie says:
    ok
    Shawn says:
    Hopefully we'll all get together this next time
    Debbie says:
    Ya, that would be nice
    Still, you and me make a great team .......
    Shawn says:
    I try my best, I'll see if Aaron or Tim decide to chat anytime tonight
    Debbie says:
    Are they online
    Shawn says:
    That's a negative....
    Debbie says:
    hhahhahaahahahha ..... ok then
    I hope to see some of your stuff posted to the sketchbook tmoroow
    oops tomorrow hahaha
    Shawn says:
    Alright then I'll do my best to work something out
    Debbie says:
    Nice
    Shawn says:
    I'd really like to get some color experiments going with it
    Hmm' it looks like it started raining outside
    Debbie says:
    Now that the final desgin issues have been ironed out, I think we have plenty of time to mess around with things.
    Hey, thats all it does here in Nova Scotia is rain.
    ok Shawn .... ttyl
    Shawn says:
    At least you don't have to deal with kentucky's muggy augusts'

If you have leather seats and bare flesh.... you literally have to grab a spatula to peel yourself from it
    Debbie says:
    Hahahahahahahah ..............you are funny Shawn and i would luv to chat more but i really do have to go.
    Shawn says:
    Alright, Have a good one!
    Debbie says:
    Good night! :0

----------------------------------------------

Alrighty then Lady and Gent's we have found out how the final image lineup will work out; All of em are going to be lined up panels of individual characters (thanks Daestwin)

I think the line up is still open for discusion but I'm thinking of a straight row of Good characters A B C and D, followed by Evil characters D C B and A, so if Tim's orcain dude is A, his good character would be first and the evil would be last.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Crazy Dude SRD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    a little more progress with this roughian

I'll see if anyone posts after I get back from work, Have a good night either way!
    -Shawn

Thanks
    Ok, here is an update for my evil character ...... Silverfrost Icemoon. I am mostly working on color and bring the image together.

Thanks
    Debbie says:
    Welcome to the Fifth meeting of Team Obsidian
    Shawn says:
    Hello.... hello.... hello.... hello....
    Debbie says:
    Don't forget to post you most recent images inthe sketchbook everyone ....
    Shawn says:
    Give me a second, doing some touchups with some fresh eyes
    Debbie says:
    Please do not forget ......

* Tim - I need your character description
    * Aaron - I need your team job description

OK CD, we should probably begin.
    And it looks like its just you and me again tonight!
    Shawn says:
    This is unfortunate
    I hope they show sometime...
    Debbie says:
    I really don't know what to day to their absences .....
    OK, well we can make this a short meeting tonight
    We are already well on our way now that we have the design problems ironed out.
    How is your character coming along?
    If you are busy CD, we can reschedule the meeting
    OK ...... I'm going to call this meeting to a close.
    CD, will you please post this in the sketchbook. Thanks
    Shawn says:
    Sorry I was being talked at
    Debbie says:
    Our next meeting will be Tuesday 18th August - same time.
    Shawn says:
    I'm still available for the meeting
    Debbie says:
    oops - talked at?
    Its ok CD ..... we are on a roll anyway
    How is your character coming along
    Shawn says:
    I'm working on the evil version a bit, still trying different poses to differenciate the good
    got some simple designs on the good dude too
    Debbie says:
    I'm thinking that our characters are just not high-fantasy enough
    But when I look at the work of other teams we seem to be all on the same page - which is good
    Anyway .... I'm still going to call an end to the meeting CD.
    Shawn says:
    Alright. I'll go ahead and post it in the sb
    Debbie says:
    Thanks

----------------------------------------------

I'm sorry if I didn't seem like I was as active in this meeting as I should have been. I'll go ahead and post what I refined so far

Thanks
    Your characters is really coming along CD ....... what about some color!?!? I'm really interested to see what you do with him.

Thanks
    Sorry guys, I should be more active anyway. Um, some more update on the battlemage. I think I'll change the pose a bit just to make it more dynamic. But anyway, I'm just so terrible with poses, and I spent some hours trying to find a pose which works without any real progress.

So here are some poses which work slightly better. Sorry but I haven't put the armor on him........I think the second one is my favorite so far~

Should the final image be more of a combat pose or a less dynamic one anyway? I've seen both on the last challenge.....

About the setting, I think a more wizardly battlemage would suit the high fantasy setting better. And after all, how can anyway high fantasy team do without a spell caster?

Name:  wizard2.JPG
Views: 488
Size:  61.2 KB

Shawn:I love how your char is turning out. Great mood in there. Anyway, the head is a bit flat, perhaps you can change the way the shawl/hat wraps around head a bit~

Also, I found a pretty ref for your armor.

Debbie: The evil char is working great. The cloak is simply fabulous, She can be perhaps more different than the good version though, perhaps change the skin tone/background a bit?

Also, what do you mean by team job description in the email? Don't each of us do a char, at least for now?

Thanks
    Thanks Aaron, that's an awesome little ref. Where did you find it?

I got a bit of a roughed out baddude.
    I played a bit with color today... It's been quite a few months. I'd like some opinions on it and if you find something that could be worked out let me know!

Thanks
    Awesome bad ass dude man, he's real wicked! The head, the pose , the sword, the claws. They're wonderful!

About the image....Image google, armor~

Haha, I did a lil tweaking in ps for ya pic. I don't have much time now but perhaps I can do more tomorrow~
    Specifically on the face. If the shadow on the left side is a cast shadow, it should have much harder edge though. I'm kinda confused about it since the light is coming from the left~

And yeah, I guess I wouldn't be available on Tuesday, because I have class on every Tuesday~ You guys can probably do fine though~

Last edited by Aaron Death; August 17th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Alrighty dudes here's the last meeting's minutes.

Tim says:
    no debbie?
    Shawn says:
    I dunno, my alarm failed me
    Tim says:
    metting was at 6 central no?
    Shawn says:
    I believe so
    Tim says:
    allright well how do we get aaron in here, sorry I'm new to this.
    Shawn says:
    I'm not sure. I think you have to send him a message or something... I tried and it splits the conversation

Aaron has been added to the conversation.

Shawn says:
    Alrighty I think I got it
    Tim says:
    Ahh cool
    Aaron says:
    Hi guys
    Shawn says:
    Aaron you listening
    Tim says:
    3 out of 4 aint bad.
    Aaron says:
    `
    Tim says:
    Feel, like a jerk for missing the last couple of meetings, will definetly apologize to Debbie
    Shawn says:
    I believe it's all good, so how has your orcaian dude been coming
    Tim says:
    been playing around with the evil side, quite a bit
    started working on the final for the light side as well
    should be good, I hope to get another character done too
    so 4 final images from me
    Shawn says:
    Damn that be nice.
    Aaron says:
    Wow, great.
    Tim says:
    Yea I was gonna go small with the next one, like a penguin or small mammal
    female-esque
    Aaron says:
    hahaha
    Sounds pretty cute
    Tim says:
    we'll see, been a bit sidetrack but back on task
    I saw those updates aaron, really nice
    Aaron says:
    Thanks
    I'm such a nerd about anatomy and stuff
    should focus more on the design
    Tim says:
    I like how you made the armor as if it goes over a large parka coat, very belivable and a nice touch
    Aaron says:
    But anyway, I just started to be able to draw some figures from ma mind
    Shawn says:
    Wait a sec...
    That's of my design
    he just did a little color change to it.
    The swordsman?
    Tim says:
    my bad guys, I got aaron and shawn's mixed up
    Aaron says:
    Oh, you mean the swordsman
    Yeah, I just tweaked the color a bit~
    Shawn says:
    Alrighty just wanted to make sure
    Tim says:
    actually no I didn't
    Shawn says:
    Alrighty sorry dude
    Tim says:
    aight who's doing the guy with the big sword, lol!
    Aaron says:
    Be careful hough, if ou put such vibrant colors in the background, it's gonna be hard to make it look like in the arctic
    The snow is gonna look red that way~
    Shawn says:
    I understand.
    I'm gonna have to cool it down there
    It's mostly the 'underpainting' I've been trying to emulate painting theories that I've read and tried to understand
    Tim says:
    I like the bits of color you've added to the sky shawn
    maybe blend them up a bit with a big soft brush?
    Shawn says:
    I'm curious, are you guys seeing a lot of blue in the armor...
    Aaron says:
    I've never done any underpainting though, mostly I just choose a color scheme, and model out the form. That's how I'm taught to paint in oil anyway?
    Tim says:
    Yea I do see bits of teal that may be a tad out of place.
    Shawn says:
    Is it a small strip on the lower plates
    I believe my lcd is playing mind games with me
    Tim says:
    or add some teal into the bg, I imagine the armor would just end up picking up refelective colors from the surround areas
    one of the perils of digital painting for sure..
    Shawn says:
    There we go... Too much contrast in my screen
    I'll have to see what I can do to remedy certain things
    Tim says:
    I think your light side is looking great Shawn, and the sketch for the dark side is going to be awesome too
    Aaron, Im looking at your wips, your going with a wizard?
    might have stepped away for a moment
    Aaron says:
    Yep~it's coming pretty, um..... slowly
    Should have spent more time though~
    Tim says:
    Are you going with a human, or animal, or something else?
    It's all good, still plenty of time left
    Aaron says:
    Human ha
    I've no idea how I can make an animal wizard...
    Tim says:
    Sure you could
    Shawn says:
    So we have two humans a snowfox, and an orca... sounds like a cheezy tv show
    This was typed in front of a live studio audience
    Tim says:
    If by "cheezy tv show" you mean "awesome" then yes I would agree
    Shawn says:
    yep
    Aaron says:
    Is high fantasy though?
    It it high fantasy though?
    Tim says:
    No seriously though, Aaron, what animals would be reveared as regal, old, statlely, smart?
    Aaron says:
    human?
    Tim says:
    Like the old walrus, and how they hold they're heads up
    half man half walrus,
    Or although A bit obvious, the owl comes to mind
    Aaron says:
    Oh, holy walrus, awesome is your name!
    Tim says:
    hehe
    Aaron says:
    Bears could be pretty stately.
    Tim says:
    Polar bear battle mage
    that could be cool
    Aaron says:
    Wow, do we choose to do animals anyway?
    Tim says:
    No, no, but it gives us more creative options, other than a bunch of humans all in eskimo costumes with different armor, ya know?
    by no means necessary, humans are a -ok too!
    Aaron says:
    Well, that makes sense~
    Perhaps an animal familiar?
    Shawn says:
    Could have a sexy female battle mage.
    Tim says:
    I mean basically you could do whatever you like as long as it's fantasy
    Megan Snow Fox....terrible I know..hah
    Aaron says:
    Female would be cool, afterall, the majority of models are females~
    Tim says:
    Aaron the stuff you do from reference is great, I'm browsing your sketchbook, and you should have no problem coming up with a couple of good pieces
    Aaron says:
    Lol, I haven't updated in a long time......Old stuff~
    Thanks anyway~
    Tim says:
    even better
    Aaron says:
    School is quite busy you know. The reason I can talk today is because the model is sick~ Or I would be sculpting now. hahaha
    Shawn says:
    hehehe I understand dude, what days are best for you
    Tim says:
    Your in school, very cool, where do you go?
    lol at my rhyme.
    Shawn says:
    Damn too many questions don't you agree
    Aaron says:
    hahaha, Laafa. A pretty traditional art school~ Anyway, Wesdney, Thursday I'll be at home I guess~
    This school is awesome, anyway, 20 hours of life drawing per week is pure awesome!
    Tim says:
    Too many questions, haha, sorry, just making conversation.
    Aaron says:
    Lol, anyway, are you a student or prof, Tim?
    Tim says:
    self taught, went to school for biology, ended with psychology.
    Aaron says:
    Wow, that's pretty cool~
    Shawn says:
    that's awesome... I
    I've always liked reading into psychology... helps me understand why people think the way they do
    Tim says:
    I don't use either, but I wish I could turn back the clock and go to a traditional art school, had to spend alot of time trying to teach myself, thank god for the internet
    Shawn says:
    Nah, you should be thanking Al Gore...
    I kid
    Tim says:
    yea no doubt, hah
    Shawn says:
    I'm gonna have to get off of here pretty soon, so If you fellows want, we could have our next meeting same time on thursday?
    I'll let debbie know. Hopefully we all can be here together one time
    Tim says:
    Sounds good, same time Ill be here.
    I'll post all those sketches and what not into the sketchbook
    Aaron says:
    okey, good, I'll be there~
    And I'll work more on the char~
    Tim says:
    please do mang, can't wait to see more!
    Allright guys, have a good one!@
    Shawn says:
    Alrighty, Everyone have a good one.

--------------------------------

We missed you Debbie. But don't fret, we are hot on the anvil and ready to forge out some wicked shiznit...

Our next meeting will be the same ol time this thursday.

Thanks
    sketches..

Last edited by t i m; August 18th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Evil Orca sketch - liking the idea of him being a whaler.

Thanks
    Gawd, these are coming along GREAT! I love the evil orca Tim and the color on your characters is really nice CD. Forgive me for not attending on Tuesday but I've changed servers and the wireless connection isn't working properly yet. I will post more when I get it working.

Thanks
    Alls good Debbie.

Tim that's an awesome orca dude

A bit more play with the colors...

Thanks
    Thanks Shawn! The colors are definitely better now, keep going!

Debbie - your evil character is coming along nicely, really glad to see things are going well.

Here's the beginning of my final for the evil orca, really hoping for something nice and polished when it's done. I'll be doing the same for the light side as well:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.