Team Chow II: Team Obsidian

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Team Chow II: Team Obsidian

Last edited by Razorleaf; August 6th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here's an idea I had when I learned of Team Chow II but before joining a team. Her name is Lynx Silverrod.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonight's log involving our chat

Shawn says:
    Hello
    Debbie says:
    hey!
    Shawn says:
    I'm doin a little multitasking right now, you have the group chat available?
    A bit of cooking and chattin
    Debbie says:
    oh ok
    There is only two of us on line at the moment. Aaron was but he is listed as busy. I haven't heard from t i m yet.
    When they do get on line its simple enough to "invite" them to join our conversation.
    Shawn says:
    cool
    Debbie says:
    Where are you located Shawn? Where do you live and what time it is there?
    Shawn says:
    I live in Nicholasville KY USA, and it's bout 6 pm
    Debbie says:
    I'm in Nova Scotia and its 7PM. So we are only one hour apart.
    Shawn says:
    that's not too bad
    Debbie says:
    No, good. I hope everyone it around the same so we can schedule some have decent meetings.
    oops "half decent"

Aaron has been added to the conversation.

Debbie says:
    Hi Aaron
    Hey Aasron where do you live and what time is it there?
    Shawn says:
    Hello Aaron
    Aaron says:
    Hi, guys, I'm in LA, so it's 3 o'clock now~
    Shawn says:
    <<Nicholasville KY, USA 6pm
    Aaron says:
    ha~
    Debbie says:
    Oh gawd hahahah ....... you are 4 hours behind me and 3 hours behind Shawn. What time can we all get togther?
    Aaron says:
    I'm looking at artworks by Justi Sweet.
    http://www.justinsweet.com/GALLERY/I..._Caspian1.html
    I think this is a pretty good style for this CHOW. How do you think
    Debbie says:
    It is an excellent style .... but it isn't mine hahahahahahha
    Aaron says:
    To debbie:I'm not sure, I think afternoon for me is pretty good, since I'm in the middle~
    Debbie says:
    OK, so lets say PM my time. That will be 7PM for Shawn and 4Pm for Aaron. Agreed?
    oops 8PM my time. Damn I can't type worth shit tonight hahahah
    Aaron says:
    Yep
    Debbie says:
    Good
    Aaron says:
    And anyway, how are we gonna work this out?
    Do each of us do a char? Or do some of us do the concepts/rendering and stuff?
    Debbie says:
    I suggest we meet on msn 2/3 times a week on MSN
    We need a captain - any volunteers?
    Aaron says:
    You've volunteered.........
    Debbie says:
    Hahahahahahah ...... you're funny
    Aaron says:
    But anyway, I suggest that each of us submit some sketches to a sketchbook first, the idea is pretty important right?
    Debbie says:
    Ok, Aaron you set up the sketchbook using our team name. I vote you as Sketchbook monitor. So everything to do with the sketchbook is up to you. Is that ok?
    Aaron says:
    Okey, doing it~
    Debbie says:
    Good!
    Shawn - are you up to being the set designer? We will need someone to maintain continuity between us.
    That just leaves Tim
    Has anyone seen tims works, they are pretty damn good
    Aaron says:
    Yeah I agree
    The concepts he did for CHOW II are awesome
    Debbie says:
    I wonder if maybe we should leave him to be set designer, no offense Shawn. But he does have some fantastic environmental stuff
    Aaron says:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...54#post2371254
    Anyway, I think we can all do some sketches first, instead of having one set designer.
    Debbie says:
    Maybe you are right! Tim has already done some sketches for a half-elf. They are pretty good.
    Still, we should deside what our roles are gonna be now
    Aaron says:
    My rendering is better than my concepts, but still I'm not that bad , and plus I can ask my instructors for critiques~
    Debbie says:
    Same here! My sketches suck. They are more like drawings than rough sketches.
    Shawn have you finished cooking/eating yet?
    oops there you are
    Shawn says:
    Sorry just got back here, got some stuff gueling on the oven;
    I don't mind letting Tom have the set design but I believe that we should really cement what characters we would have, develop some decent thumbs and then work things out from there.
    Debbie says:
    ok agreed ..... any ideas what you will be working on
    Aaron says:
    what exactly are we gonna make anyway?
    Debbie says:
    Good question?
    Aaron says:
    Lol, Debbie said the same thing
    Shawn says:
    Whoopsie,,, Aaron The initials SRD
    Aaron says:
    ??
    Debbie says:
    What is our timeline .....What is our location ..... What is ..............
    ok what is SRD
    Shawn says:
    Shawn Richard Dunn, ma'am
    Aaron says:
    Debbie says:
    Ma'am ...... did you just call me ma'am hahahahhahaahah
    Shawn says:
    I might have a shitty mouth but I have my polite times
    comes from being the son of a NAVY man and irish bloodlines
    Aaron says:
    Wow, awesome....
    Irish rocks!
    Debbie says:
    oh gawd, I don't envy that heritage
    I am Welsh decent but mostly I am British
    Aaron says:
    Um, how do you guys think about this anway. doing a good spell caster/summoner/druid and a fighter/elemental/elder spirit type of thing that she/he summons, and a evil necromancer/sorcerer and a summoned undead/orc/Dark Knight/ghost/troll.
    Debbie says:
    huh!?
    Aaron says:
    My kinda shitty concept
    I mean characters for the CHOW II
    Debbie says:
    Hows does that work into the dual personalities (light and dark)
    Aaron says:
    I think it means good chars and their evil counter parts.
    Shawn says:
    What I thought it was up to 6 character types with a good and evil alternative versions.
    Aaron says:
    But need to read it again
    Debbie says:
    Is it some kind of face-off!?
    Like the X-men concepts
    Shawn says:
    Superman vs bizzaro Superman
    Aaron says:
    Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8(I think it means 6 portraits instead of 12)
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    Debbie says:
    OK, so we need 3 good and 3 evil characters, right?
    Aaron says:
    Or 3 characters with both the good and evil version
    Debbie says:
    same thing, isn't it?
    Yes, I mean 3 characters with a good and evil one each
    Aaron says:
    Yeah
    Debbie says:
    ok
    Aaron says:
    And the good and evil version have to be the same gender, class, race I think
    Debbie says:
    That leaves one of us to do the set design/environment
    No, I don't think so.
    A good woman vs. an evil man
    A white woman vs a black woman
    I human man vs a male beast
    Aaron says:

Quote:
    I know the character we show needs to be shown in both good and evil, and it has to be the same character, but can we change up the gender? Like an evil male orc thief and then a good female orc thief - still the same, but showing the gender options...
    Good question, but no, it has to be the same gender. You're very welcome to submit an other-gender sketch version as part of your wips, tho
    Debbie says:
    Damn hahahahah
    Aaron says:

I wonder if we may use medieval fire arms. Our team was thinking about something like an archebus or something. Would that be okay?
    Nope. High Fantasy usually doesn't have them, so I would stay away from them. Had a big argument with my teamate yesterday about this, and we checked the dates on when they were invented and they are all very late medieval, whereas high fantasy tends to be around lat
    I have another question, how much wiggle room do we have in regards to pose? Do we have to do a full frontal standing pose, or we're free to do standing, walking, running, sitting down....as long as the character shows 3/4 of the front side, and is a full length character? Can we do back view or 3/4 back view?
    Please do it mostly front-facing, thanks. :]

My initial idea was to keep the races, classes,etc suggested in the brief but without the european middle age look. Fantasy but with other cultaral aspects.
    I don't know however how far can we bend or blur the cultural lines.
    There is some aspect of the character that is unremovable?(mainly about looks)
    Well, there are lots of other cultures that had 'middle ages' that weren't in europe. :] I thi
    Debbie says:
    gawd, there are so many rules
    Aaron says:
    Yep, kinda annoying, especially the gender rule
    Okey, I gotta do an errand now, will come back and talk later~
    Debbie says:
    ok, does this mean I can chose to do a good woman and an evil female beast
    They are the same gender!?
    Shawn says:
    Sorry if I don't seem like I'm here but I'm very attentive.... just don't wanna burn stuff
    Debbie says:
    ok, give me two seconds I have to put the dog out
    I'm back haha
    Shawn says:
    Yeah I've been thinking that it would be best to illustrate the characters as both the same species...
    Debbie says:
    You are probably right .......
    But how are we suppose to come up with stellar characters with so many rules.
    Shawn says:
    I don't think that will be a problem, I think though it's more to organize the event a bit better. Besides wouldn't you like to see how to corupt that goodie good dude/chick you made
    Debbie says:
    what doogie good dude/chick you made?
    I mean that I made hahahah
    Hey guys, Aaron you had out sketchbook in the wrong spot. Its ok I fixed it. The new link is ...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156
    Shawn, don't left be hanging - what goodie dude/chick?
    Aaron ..... have you checked out some of those sketchbooks, gawd we are so far behind hahahah. Thank gawd we have a month!
    Shawn says:
    I was just talking about the general aspects of this match... Give me a few more moments, right now what I'm cookin is havin a high risk of burning
    Debbie says:
    hahaha ok
    Shawn says:
    I got a few little thumbs but nothing mutch yet
    Debbie says:
    I agree with Aaron that we need to figure out what we will be doing. I have no idea, although I do have some things in the back of my mind.
    Aaron says:
    Lol sorrry, posted it in the wrong section.............
    Debbie says:
    No prob
    Did you get the new link?
    Aaron says:
    yep
    Debbie says:
    ok
    So Aaron any idea on what you will be drawing
    Woman are my strong suit so I think I will stick them one of them
    I mean artisticly
    hahaha
    Have either of you added to the sketchbook yet?
    Shawn says:
    Not yet... I'll be adding on after I get some food in mah belly. I figure once we have a set crew of characters to play with it will make our endevors a lot easier.
    Debbie says:
    oh I totally agree
    Aaron says:
    I'm reading the other threads out there. A lot of goodies there!
    quote:I think taking a character each would be the best way to approach it ideally, but if our styles are drastically different; the style of drawing, linework, colouring etc then the final outcome isn't going to be great. So not sure how everyone wants to approach this. Maybe we should do some sketches of something and see how they match up, samples of each others work?
    Debbie says:
    Hey thats a good idea
    I am gonna post an idea I have right now, hang on
    Aaron says:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=164946, Um....This thread is quite good
    Shawn says:
    Yep that is an awesome thread. And I believe we have the vertic on the character numbers the minimum is three character types (Warrior, Mage, Ranger for ex) with a good and bad (maybe a bit ugly)
    Any more is extra credit
    Aaron says:
    It's gonna be very hard to put 8 portraits together in a good composition though~
    Which means we better do only three chars
    Shawn says:
    I think that the portraits are supposed to be individuals but all linked in stylizations to some degree
    Debbie says:
    Oh boys, I added to our sketchbook. Take a look
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156
    What do you think? Could I incorporate her as a ranger possibly?
    Shawn says:
    possible
    Debbie says:
    What about a mage/ranger
    Aaron says:
    Coool hair~

Debbie says:
    Thanks Aaron
    Aaron says:
    design-wise, I'm thinking of short sword/bow/dagger for a ranger, but well, she can be amazon~
    Shawn says:
    I really like how this one is fleshing out so far. I also believe we should take a cue from the fellows Aaron posted up a moment ago and delve into our reference piles and post up possible thoughts and possiblities... I have a massive selection of weaponry reference.
    Debbie says:
    Ya amazon kind works
    My style is very unique, its not like most of the artist on CA
    Aaron says:
    Yeah, our styles are kinda different, I'm more of the painterly/heavily rendered/strong chiaroscuro type..
    Debbie says:
    Shawn - weaponry!?
    Aaron says:
    But still I like to see people with different styles, and yours look pretty clean and nice......I'm not clean though.....
    Debbie says:
    Ya, I kinda have this strong yet beautiful thing going on right now
    How about this.........
    Lets think about things and post some sketches and meet up again on Tuesday. Thats 8PM my time, 7 for Shawn and 4 for Aaron.
    I guess I kinda slid in the the captain's chair but if anyone else wants it just let me know.
    Is this ok with you guys?
    Aaron says:
    Okey, I'm off to painting now~
    Debbie says:
    Sahwn what about you??
    Shawn says:
    I'm good with that! I'll see what info I can help bolster on the thread there and get some prelims going
    I'm mostly figuring that we can use each other's strenghts to help against our weaknesses
    Debbie says:
    I totally agree, this is a team!
    Shawn says:
    I'm gonna be the first to admit, my colortheory sucks...
    But I do have a good structural knowledge on human anatomy
    Debbie says:
    We must concentrate on our positive skills. We all have them. This is no time to become insecure hahaha.
    Shawn says:
    Exactly
    Aaron says:
    My rendering/form/values are okey, and figure drawing is so-so............
    In short, kinda mediocre
    Debbie says:
    You don't give yourself enough credit Aaron.
    Aaron says:
    Debbie says:
    OK I will send out an email with what we have come up with so far. Especially for tim. He will need to be brought up to date
    Shawn says:
    I'm figuring we can also log our conversations in chat on our sketchbook thread... I'll go about doing that.
    Aaron says:
    Okey, I'll talk later, gotta concentrate on painting now~
    Debbie says:
    Good cause I have no idea how
    Shawn says:
    AWESOME We will dominate!!!!!!1!!1!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    Hahahaha lol
    I kid
    I know that as long as we do what we can we will not only do well but we will definately learn from each other!
    Debbie says:
    OK boys, you all have each others emails. So lets meet up again on Tuesday. I look forward to seeing what you add to our sketch book.
    Shawn says:
    awesome this will be a blast
    It was great meeting you debbie and Aaron, and it will be fun working with you both and tim
    Debbie says:
    Oh I totally agree.

Debbie has left the conversation.

Aaron says:
    sure it will.
    Shawn, you're really awesome, you know, Mentler sure has done a pretty job. haaha
    Shawn says:
    Thanks, I'll be pushing as much as I can
    This is going to be so much fun... I can already see a couple good ideas, I'll be posting them up in the sb thread

---------------------------

Last edited by The Crazy Dude SRD; August 2nd, 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys!

Sorry I missed out on the chat tonight, I'll definitely be there Tuesday.

SKETCHES.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by t i m; August 8th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys check out Team Night Stalkers thread ..... they have some awesome reference pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Possible Theme ......

‘Heron’ by Debbie Legg
    Fantasy/Adventure
    Synopsis

Heron, a young warrior set on returning a precious gem back to his island home, the City of Mists, is confronted by a sudden and merciless winter storm. To save his life Heron is frozen in the ice by a mystical force intent on using him to fulfill a destiny written eons ago by an ancient people long forgotten.

Months pass and spring arrives on the mountain.

Thunder crackles overhead as white streaks of skyfire light up the night and a northerly wind rips through the Kresian Mountains. A hushed rumbling resounds off the frozen bluffs high above the River Dhast, growing in intensity. With one tremendous roar a massive ridge of snow and ice releases its hold on the mountain wall crashing down around the small village dotted along the water’s edge.

Skyfire continues to race wildly until it finds its mark between the walls of a deep crevice atop the furthermost peak. The crackle of breaking ice splinters through the night air and moments later a loud roar from a man racked with pain echoes into the night.

“I am Qwinar, the Shadow of the Mountain. I have been here since the beginning and I shall remain here past the end. Pain. I sense the pain of a great warrior trapped in a prison of ice, asleep in time. I know of his quest and how he came to rest on my mountain but now it is time for him to finish his journey. I wait for him to wake and then I will tell him what it is he needs to know. I will be his guardian and he will have my protection.”

The first rays of dawn’s light appear on the horizon and Heron is approached by Qwinar. She instructs him to continue his quest to take the Zenni Gem to the City of Mists far to the east through mountains, deserts and jungles to where the sea meets the land.

Qwinar has gifted Heron with the company of three companions who shall travel with him as protectors and who will be as shadows throughout the day and take the form of flesh at night; Bré shall act as Heron’s guide to the wonders of life, Ki will substitute as Heron’s conscience and confidant, and Gyn will instill courage and honor before sharing the ultimate sacrifice.

The journey will be long and dangerous, charged with many perils. Equipped with only a short supply of food, a Tensi weapon and a swift magical skiff Heron leaves the village of Arbon on the River Dhast and heads south in his pursuit to meet the sea.

To complete the task ahead it will take seven nights and eight days of traveling a predestined course. Along the way Heron will encounter marauding bandits, bathing maidens, vicious cannibals and become friends with an unlikely ally. A powerful and ancient tree will temporarily interrupt his journey as will a civil dispute between warring jungle tribes.

Heron will reach the coast undaunted and continue on to the City of Mists situated on a floating island of coral, east on the Owatan Sea.

The city is not as he left it, many things have changed in the time he has been gone. Only the temple looks familiar and he makes his way through the streets to the highest point on the island. Heron is greeted by his dear friend the Keeper of the City, H’lit. The recent history of the city is revealed and the Zenni Gem is returned just as Heron and his companions are forced to flee the city.

-- © Debbie Legg –

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A collage of medieval characters .......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tim, nice going with the sketches and Debbie that's a nice little story and some good reference.

I have a couple little thumbs that I did last night... would have posted em earlier but it's better late than never. I'm also interested in seeing other people's rough sketches.

Remember we have four basic types of peps to make The Warrior, Rouge, Mage, and Healer. Lets see how hard we can push these boundries!

(edit;; these pintsized pics are thumbs for Warrior Type characters, just trying to remain general at this point)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An evil warrior that I did......pretty rough now, will give it more work later.Gotta run to class now.

sorry guys. can't attend today msn for a sculpture class. But I gotta run. I don't wanna be late.............

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm gonna stick with Lynx as a Ranger/Healer type character. There's no theme/location yet so I am just working on composition/pose. I did these up this morning, four were drawn online and two were done by pencil while waiting for the washing machine to finish And, yes I did forget to change the hair on the pencil sketches .... hahaha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small interesting resource for some fun lookin armor and weapons of various origin.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/items.php?coll=1&cat=2

I'll post more little tidbits as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very Nice CD. I especially like your Rogues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Debbie Welcome the the second Meeting of Team Obsidian

Shawn WOOT!
    Shawn Always gotta start off on a good note

Debbie I saw your thumbnails CD, there are very nice. In what direction do you think you will go. I mean what character are you working on?

Shawn I'm mostly just trying to get a feel for the possibilities.

tclinard@live.com has been added to the conversation.
    Aaron has been added to the conversation.

Shawn Hello everybody!

Debbie Well, I know I will be doing a woman and I like the ranger/healer themes.

Tim Hey there!

Debbie Welcome Tim

Tim Howdy

Debbie I do not think Aaron is coming. He said he had a sculpting class or something. Hopefully he will make it later on.

Tim Sounds good

Debbie OK so in attendance we have Shawn, Debbie and Tim
    Debbie We should we start
    Debbie oops Where should we start hahahah

Tim A theme

Debbie Great, so you have one!? hahaha

Tim I have a few ideas

Debbie Well do not be shy Tim ..... we need to get on the wagon here, time is ticking

Shawn tick tock tick tock broken clock

Debbie hahahahha

Tim K, so the way I think the race, class, alignment, all of these are secondary to the when and where

Debbie ohhhh, I mean that the end of the month is coming soon

Shawn right so right...

Debbie I agree Tim

Tim Daestwan has repeatedly said that the LOTR thing has been beat to death

Debbie And I so agree with her

Tim Her group has decided to go with an 18th century theme and placing these unique "beasts" within that setting which as everyone can see it really cool
    Tim opens up alot of doors for tech and wardrobe enviro etc
    Tim so that's where we need to be

Debbie Ya it does

Tim Do we want to just be another Forest, blah blah fantasy

Debbie So that leaves us anywhere from 1200 AD to 1600 AD

Tim correct
    Tim on what planet though

Debbie Ya, what planet was one of the questions I had

Shawn Could be interesting to see an alien darkages

Debbie Are we going to go with Earth?

Tim Doesn't have to be

Shawn design a species or two and have em duke it out

Tim Personally I'd like to be able to add some tech to the theme
    Tim really opens up creative possiblities

Debbie Can anyone remember what Daestwen said about weaponry?

Shawn thats the fun thing, alien tech could have went a diferent evolutionary route. just look at how our different cultures developed

Debbie I remember her saying that it had to be "era" specific but with a twist .... like a sword could have flames and a staff could be magikal.

Shawn although similarities in form and fuction could help bring things together

Tim Right, but I think it would be too cliche to assume that a place that has orcs and elves would be a place that resembles earth at all

Debbie Cliche..... yes you are right
    Debbie What about one of the planets in our solar system?

Tim That's tough due to the inhospitable nature of our neighboring planets

Debbie What about characters that look like our medieval ancestors but who travel around on disks of light energy - you know, more technically advanced

Tim Now your talking

Debbie Of course this idea has been done before

Tim Or what if an super advanced alien race visitied this "planet"

Debbie cool

Tim Prior to said visit the planet was living in dark ages

Shawn I think we can't be too scifi

Tim words, castles, blah blah
    Tim we're not
    Tim just a sprinkling

Debbie I can see an alien healer or wizard dressed in medieval clothing from our time

Shawn Ah trying to conceil to the world or something of that sort

Debbie By I also thought we had to stick with the class/race as described in the outline.

Tim The aliens would be just visitors, but some of there technology might have been pickedup and applied to the tech of the native planet

Debbie We can always come up with an idea and I can present it to Daestwen via PM
    Debbie How would you present the alien influence Tim?
    Debbie And, an alien influence doesn't fit in with your half-elf hunter

Shawn are you having trouble with seeing the conversation...

Tim has been added to the conversation.

Shawn ALLRIGHTY then

Tim ah cool

Shawn Lets see if I can quote the last bit here

Debbie What if we created a kind of doorway (transdimentional portal) that would reflect the "good" medieval characters from this world and show the "bad" evil-half comeing thru it
    Debbie Naturally they would have different gear, clothing weapons etc

Tim That's a good way of incorportating the two sides

Shawn quoted from the little lapse there debbie:
    Shawn Tim says: Have you ever seen Alien vs Predator? Shawn says: yeah, it was alright I see the type of idea your trying Tim says: They introduce the Predators as coming and giving a helping hand to the egyptians hence the pyramids and such Take Lord of the Rings world, and add an alien presence Shawn says: the elves could be alien... I don't know if Debbe can see this conversation... Tim says

Tim The visual aesthetics of the characters have to be striking

Debbie Thanks Shawn

Tim It has to be starkly different than any other team

Debbie I agree, we must stand out of the crowd of other teams

Tim Underwater Orcs, Artic orcs, All of these things change the tech and wardrobe
    Tim cause an orc is an orc unless you dress it up differently

Debbie True but they are still Orks
    Debbie oops Orcs

Tim exactly

Debbie huh!?

Tim so the place and the theme takes an orc and makes it something else

Debbie True

Tim When you strip it of its weapons and close they are all the same
    Tim but it's the weapons and clothes that dictate a cool orc vs. oh another orc
    Tim like a cyborg orc

Debbie That is true too but do you really want to revamp anything Orc
    Debbie oops another Orc

Tim an orc who has adopted some level of advanced tech and incorporates it into standard orc culture
    Tim could be an elf
    Tim human

Debbie But we have to stay within the parameters of the Rules and they say medieval

Tim they say "fantast:

Debbie I suppose we could do medieval Orcs

Tim fantasy

Debbie Medieval Orcs of the North hahaha
    Debbie Hey What about underwater Orcs

Tim Nowhere do I see medieval

Debbie I reread the rules again this afternoon and they are pretty clear about the medival time frame

Tim Daestwan has her character dressed up in victorian outfits
    Tim 18th century garb
    Tim 1700's

Debbie That is because there is no specific time frame for medival in the Wikipedia definition
    Debbie Go to the last page of the Team Chow thread (not the signup thread) and you can read her arguements and discussion with Jessibean

Tim rereading rules

Debbie Me too!
    Debbie I think the Medieval era idea came from the sample painting

Tim "no sci-fi"
    Tim shit..

Debbie hhahahahahahahahahahaha

Shawn booo....

Debbie poor Tim

Shawn ah well
    Shawn Could still have it where the world's on a different tangent, we still have an opening for species...

Debbie So basically we have conan with clothes and armor

Tim but what kind of clothes and armor?

Debbie I didn't see the mention of troll and such

Shawn LOTR, D&D...esque

Debbie As per the sample Tim

Tim Yea, but I feel like that's exactly what they don't want

Debbie Nope, this is what they DO want

Shawn We could still push the mystic aspect though

Debbie Well, maybe ..... I'm not sure since reading Daestwen and Jessibeans conversation
    Debbie ok, lets narrow it down a bit
    Debbie Are we going to do off-world on this world?
    Debbie oops "or" this world

Tim Debbie, Shawn I think that's irrevalant now

Debbie Why
    Debbie Mars could have had a society much like our own

Tim Mars,with plant life, or mars baren rock land?

Debbie It wasn't always barren Tim, there was a thriving civilization there at one time

Shawn trying to still pull the scifi in... maybe like the medieval era of an alien race... but I think this is relevant to that one game idea that Jason had in the lounge.

Debbie oh, sorry I miss read it - I'm thinking plant life Mars

Tim What about taking LOTR era and placing it entirely within the context of an artic wasteland

Debbie Medieval era of an alien race - I wonder if this would fly with Daestwen?

Tim Mixing artic wildlife with fantasy stuff
    Tim ie yeti mage

Debbie ARtic wasteland - I like it!

Tim polar bear thief mixed with giant

Shawn mix a little desert wasteland and we got ourselves possible good and evil

Tim a big ass human like polar bear

Debbie Great idea but how does that fit in with the sample (medieval theme) they gace us to work with?

Tim We aren't changing the tech or wardrobe

Debbie I am a fan of the dessert

Shawn So look toward mixing some medieval armor with heavy furs and escimo esque gear

Tim think what would they have worn or carried in lotr if it were set in antartica
    Tim exactly

Debbie I like it!

Tim Really focus on what kind of beast would inhabit this land
    Tim research artic wildlife and incorporate that into the fantasy
    Tim personify the beasts into sentinant beings

Debbie Seal, artic fox, puffin, eagle, polar bear, wolf, etc

Shawn And for their prize they fight over the fertile lands that strip between the two...

Tim exactly

Debbie Yes!

Shawn could have some cold blooded critters in the desert area... huge insectoid mofos

Debbie Have either of you seen The Golden Compass

Tim Which side do you want as the good side
    Tim desert or artic?
    Tim But that creates a problem
    Tim shit

Debbie Artic good and dessert evil

Tim If we do a big yeti mage for example, how do we do his counterpart
    Tim no yetis in the desert

Shawn We could have it go either way, different factions in each land
    Shawn innerwaring for control

Debbie Have the Yeti smaller, with less hair and more human-like in the hotter environment

Shawn as well as crossover... war is never truly good or evil, its just people

Debbie We could go big=good and small=evil

Tim visually I think we should keep them around the same size, so as to identify they are of the same species

Shawn I'd say this is definately gonna have to be discussed with daestwin

Tim but I like fur no fur idea

Shawn or thinner furs

Debbie "Species" I thought we were doing 4 different species

Tim Everyone is doing 2 pics
    Tim same species
    Tim different setting
    Tim good and evil

Debbie Lets get our idea down first and then I will PM it to her for permission
    Debbie An Orc is not an elf who is not a human
    Debbie They can not be the same specieis

Tim I think someone should do something humanoid

Shawn or devil or dragon or dragonlikehuman or fuggly little hobit peps

Tim a dragon would be cool@

Debbie Or is our idea to do all the same species but with a warrior, hunter, healer etc

Tim artic dragon vs desert dragon lotsa possiblitiles there for deign

Shawn I dont think we can do same species
    Shawn with all of them, there has to be some split up between them...

Debbie I agree

Shawn however human is still in the possibility

Tim She wants a light and dark version of the SAME character

Debbie Let do four different Artic species and four different dessert specieis for the evil faction

Tim so if you have a human artic warrior good
    Tim you need a human desert warrior bad

Debbie I want a female artic fox representing good and an evil looking dessert dog for the evil side

Shawn With it being in the same family... I think we could pull something like that off...

Debbie I could go artic white fox and black Enubis dessert dog

Shawn However final say is with the Dae
    Shawn a perfect rangerlike critter

Tim Guys, you sure you don't want to stay within the same setting? Example being a artic human who is good, dressed in lots of white fur and well kept vs an artic human who is bad, lots of black fur and messy, ragged etc

Shawn could work out well to stay within a similar setting...

Debbie I do not really care. I like the artic theme of good and evil. There are lots of parallels in the real world too.

Shawn I think though there is still a hope of variety between the two types...

Tim Reason I say this, is it could be very hard to tie the two setting together, they may end up looking nothing alike, and therefore may not work as a coherent theme

Shawn I see your point.

Debbie True .... well I kinda like the Artic theme over the dessert theme

Tim I agree

Debbie What about you Shawn

Shawn I'll get my kicks either way
    Shawn so sure lets go for it

Debbie hahahahahahaha good!
    Debbie ok so let me revamp .....
    Debbie We are going with an Artic theme

Shawn So artic critters, giant penguins!!!!

Tim absolutely,Knowing that its up to everyone to decide what

Shawn lol

Debbie We are each doing two characters, one good and one evil

Tim character race, alignment etc
    Tim which we dont have to decide on right away

Shawn Now are we going to do realistic gear or overly exagerated gear

Debbie Ok, I know I am going with an animal race.

Shawn like the bustersword with toothpick handle

Tim tech wise stay within the parameter of fantasy
    Tim but incorporated into an artic setting
    Tim how would they survive, what would they need to survive

Debbie So I;m doing a female animal indeginous to the Artic, dressed in medieval attire

Tim research what modern humans would wear in these enviroments and what would fantasy characters use in their time to serve the same purpose

Debbie Tim you better re-read Dae's thought on the weaponry inthe thread

Tim NIce debbie!@

Debbie Ya, I know .... i can't wiat to get started

Tim I'm still going with swords, and axes etc
    Tim but maybe a whale bone for a club handle

Debbie ok are you going for the warrior then?

Tim Iim not sure yet

Debbie I'm doing the ranger/healer idea
    Debbie What about you Shawn

Tim I'm gonna start by doing a lot of various sketches

Shawn I don't know if we are allowed to mix classes...

Tim animals people orcs, etc

Debbie Me too Tim ...... I want to narrow down the possibities of a great character
    Debbie Well an Orc is a kind of human slash animal, isn't it. And that's on the list

Tim I really like the idea of an intelligent polar bear wizard

Debbie I will PM Dae and include it in our proposal for approval
    Debbie YES! Time thats sound fascinating

Tim Anyone need help with tuts for sketching digital painting etc?

Debbie oops Tim
    Debbie Maybe ...... I want to sketch out my ide first

Shawn My problems are mostly in color theory, but I think it will take more than a month to work on though

Debbie We will have each other for critiques ....... do not worry about color theory yet Shawn. I am sure that working "together" we will have a great end-result

Shawn of course

Tim Here's a little something I did for sketching and values

Shawn I see the nice little thing here for debbie...Quote: I was wondering if we could multiclass. I was reading a bit about D&D classes to get an idea about what makes each one different (especially amongst the fighter types), and I glanced at a little about multiclassing. I'm not sure if I'd actually have two types (definitely no more than two; more than that and the recognizablity gets lost), but I w

Tim Doing this as we were talking..

Debbie Tim, if you are adding a link all you have to do is cut and paste

Tim http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rt/mehcopy.jpg
    Tim sketch
    Tim http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ic4rt/meh2.jpg
    Tim beginign of values

Debbie Shawn, what followed? Is it acceptable?

Shawn If the class is like a mix of two classes
    Shawn Could be a field medic

Debbie Hahahahahahah Tim ..... what was that? He doesn't look like a polar bear
    Debbie ok .... so we have our idea then. I will PM Dae for approval and email you guys copies

Shawn using potions from herbs and such while acting like a ranger with weaponry

Tim Sounds good
    Tim next step, is to start posting ref material and sketches in the sketchbook

Debbie yes!
    Debbie Now that we have our idea

Tim Remember think cold...brrrrrr.

Debbie Hahahahahah you're funny Tim

Shawn Artic hell here we come...

Tim Oh and check out Trevor's teams sketchbook...um yea
    Tim its amazing

Debbie Ya know guys ..... we are going to have to make this Artic theme really over-the-top-good. I mean it has been done so much lately with the Lion and the Wardrobe and the Golden Compass. Two great movies

Tim We'll be fine I think if we come up with interesting characters and concepts

Debbie I've been looking around, some of them are fantastic. But our will be too because now we know what to post

Tim As Jason Manley said, ideas can trump skill

Debbie Ok, so when next should we get together?

Shawn I think everything's been done too much already. but yeah as long as they show a unique idea I say we have as much chance as anyone

Tim How about Fridayish?

Debbie Ideas over skill - that could be me hahahahahahahah

Shawn It's all good!

Tim hehe

Debbie Do you really want to spent your Friday night online with us

Shawn I'm off tomorrow if anyone wants to chat.

Tim Yea, its fine. I don't do the bar thing

Shawn I don't care for drinking but eh

Debbie Me too. I will stay on msn just in case

Tim Lets go with early evening friday
    Tim maybe abit later so aaron can join us

Shawn I work friday at 9pm, so anything before 8 is good for me

Debbie So your 8 is my 9

Shawn Sundays and Mondays are usually open for me
    Shawn gotta still pay them bills

Tim Allrighty, keep checking the sketchbook Ill be posting mass amounts of materials in there tonight

Debbie Aaron is 4 hours behind us ....
    Debbie Time what time is it there where you are
    Debbie oops Tim

Tim Im in Chicago
    Tim so its 7pm now

Debbie It is 9 my time

Shawn about 8 here

Tim Friday Im availble any time after 5 so your 7

Debbie So how about 8 my time on Friday. That would make it 4Pm for Aaron and 7PM for Shawn and 6PM for Tim

Tim That sounds good

Shawn That's a great time for me.

Debbie ok...... I will email everyone the details

Tim nice nice

Debbie Shawn will you please post this conversation in our sketchbook for Aaron

Shawn awesome, and yes I will

Debbie I will also PM Dae to get approval for our idea after we are done
    Debbie So does anyone having anything else to add

Tim yea lets us know if its all good

Debbie Oh for sure ..... as soon as she lets me know I will email everyone with the details

Tim Looking forward to it, cant wait to get painting!

Debbie Me too!
    Debbie Ok boys ..... talk to you Friday

Tim ttyl
    Tim has left the conversation.

-------------------

MMMMMMMMmmmmm all that fat be gone
    -Shawn

Last edited by The Crazy Dude SRD; August 5th, 2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: trimmin the fat so that it's easier to see all the goodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit of reference toward the current ideer... staring in the iheadlights... ending up on the iroad as iroadkill.

Team Chow II:  Team Obsidian

I've been thinking about the heavy use of furs to help insilate the wearers from the cold, it will be almost necessary for anyone in these climates to have heavy layers of clothes, Metal armor will definately be of hinderance because it will not only keep from insulation but in some aspect it can amplify the cold. But this doesn't mean that the metal can't be interweaved into the furs and clothes. just as long as the under layers aren't effected.

Just a couple thoughts...

-Shawn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks CD, you are right about incorporating the furs for warmth and the armor for protection, it will be a challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More ref materials, first potential arctic wildlife to incorporate into your characters, and second some cultural references and wardrobe:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Team Obsidian - Theme

In the ice desserts of the arctic wasteland warring tribes battle to control the few remaining fertile lands left. A once proud and ancient culture now torn between disgruntled factions of a once thriving civilization. To some glory comes from power, power of full control, but to others simply surviving means living another day .....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I have chosen to do Foxtayl Icerunner. A beautiful and graceful mix-blooded woman, half human and half fox. She is a ranger sworn to protect the animals under her care and a valued healer known for her skill in the art of herbs and magiks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet idea Debbie, and nice refs!

Lil' sketch this morning..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Powerful idea Tim, now he needs some medieval influences and some armor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure this is the direction I want to go ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now this is more like it hahaha ..... Still, its not high fantasy. I think I will have to step this up a notch

Last edited by Razorleaf; August 6th, 2009 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tim that is a wicked little wip so far How do you see him turning out to be.

Debbie, that is an interesting start.

I have a few little thumbnails, I figure I'll go ahead and do something human.

Male Human Swordsman thumbs-----

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Debbie - Love the wolf's head! Also I don't know if I'm gonna add any armor to the big guy, maybe some seal bones on the shoulder or arm. I plan on having some ornate tattoos covering his body.

Shawn - nice studies looking forward to see what ideas you flesh out.

I think we should really look into the an inuit influenced wardrobe for these characters. They obviously are very functional in the frigid temperatures. It's practical for our time period, in terms of being comprised of natural materials. Also the patterns and colors are amazing!

'nother sketch to show off his size & doodles:

Last edited by t i m; August 6th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the scale Tim, very nice! Its starting to come together now....

Last edited by Razorleaf; August 6th, 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about the Inuit color scheme Tim. We should try and be consistant. I think I will bring Foxtayl out of 2D mode and incorporate the traditional rust and tan color pallet. Especially since this range of color hasn't changed much in the last say 2000 years which will fit into the rules/description requirements nicely.

What about weaponry? I think I'm going to go with a dagger and bow+qwiver of arrows. I'm thinking that a sword on the "big guy" will be a bit too obvious though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one Debbie, yea being consistent is going to be vital for a sense of cohesion when we put all out our characters together. At the same time though, I think it's important that everyone be as creative as possible with their costume choices.

Spent a bit of time doing an ortho for the Orca, I imagine for a primary weapon he could have a giant whale rib bone sharpened down attached to a staff as a sickle. I also thinned him out a bit, I figured that he would split his time between water and land, therefore with all the swimming, he probably wouldn't carry as much bulk.

I've begun the thought process of differentiating between the light and dark side, some sketches of the two versions coming soon...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tim that's awesome design progress so far. The size of the dude makes me believe he will have some very tall doorways in his people's architecture, huge towering domains with plenty of room. Clautriphobia could be very common with them.

I also like the inuit color idea, maybe take some of the paterns and designs and twist it to our needs. It would be pretty nice if done right.

Now about the opposite's, I'm thinking we could pull different general designs on the character and give them as much unique personality as possible.

I found a couple little resources

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ind...showtopic=4691
    -this has a couple nice diagrams involving the evolution of armor and other useful tidbits can be found... the chinese also have some cold climates.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=Inuit+artwork
    -I figure this might help us out a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shawn - I agree 100% if armor suits your character I'm all for it! I can imagine that normal to smaller characters would for sure be wearing armor for protection. It would only make sense. Maybe incorporate some inuit design into that armor? That'd be neat.

Let myself go and had a fun little sketch of the big dude in action!

RAWR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tim, luv the big guy in action.

Shawn, I like the connection you made with the Asian colder climate. It opens up a lot more resource references.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.