Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
Right Ook mate... its in the bag...
.. got the attitude now, jus need the pictures... over to you
Nice work mate, appoligies on the non-postin but ive been a lazy bugger this week...
Im liking the bottom right one on the first post.. and definatly the middle one in the second pose.. real dynamic pose.
so, was lookin through some other team chow sketchbooks (schneeky schneeky like...) and alot are focusing their groups on either a paticular culture or time...like far east/ nosk/ 18th century etc... you reckon we should do that? maybe have a browse around and find a style for our stuff? or just wing it and see where things go? up to you.. atm im just skecthing without ref.
Anyways.. heres a few pose sketches and other preliminary stuff.. not sure where im goin with any of it yet though..
Also had a sketch the other day an came out with a somewhat spartan fire woman thing...? boobs are far to big and the pose is a bit awkward... i dunno, but aye... just another bit for team Wastrel!!
Worked on some thumbs of helmet designs... thinking if I find a cool motif here I may be able to carry it on for a wicked armor design for the rest of the character.
While I was working on these I started thinking along the lines of civilizations/cultures embodying our good/evil characters...
I began to think of our "good" civilization being characterized by:
- A cultural belief/upbringing that might does not equal right, and with great power comes great responsibility and all that. Stand up for what's good, no matter the odds. The same old song and dance
- A (relatively) advanced civilization for the world, thinking Roman-esque, vast cities (an empire under their control, ruled "benevolently")
- Architecture, technology, clothing and armor will be soberly coloured, whites, silvers, pale gold, pale blue, etc. with ornate details (carved filligree, etc.)
- Bureacratic, yet gentlemanly. People insist on doing things "the proper way". While presenting itself as the unshakable power of good, as with any large civilization it struggles with corruption on the inside. (nothing is ever truly 100% good)
And the "bad" civilization being characterized by:
- A national religion that worships a vengeful, wrathful god. Use of pain for penance/salvation practiced widely, resulting in a masochistic culture.
- wish to help "cleanse" the bodies and souls of others, via their own special brand of absolution - injury/torture/death
- A fascination with blood, the byproduct of absolution. The colour red, and various motifs of blood/heart/cardiovascular system are prominent.
- Despite their belief in the importance of pain and physical suffering in life, they cultivate a "safe haven" in the mind and are therefore quite calm, friendly and accomodating in other areas/facets of daily life (a slight edge of "goodness" to the otherwise foul society)
Just some things I thought I'd throw out there. What do you think Cuervo??
Last edited by KarylGilbertson; August 17th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
those helmet designs are impressive, esspecially the full face masks.. should keep working in with those ones i reckon. Also your ideas for civilisations are good. I like the idea of the blood worship.
I had a quick sketch just now and came up with this guy.. was thinking shaman, or servant to a more powerful person... scars / bandages being absolution etc.. just a sketch but think im going to do a few more thumbs along this line.
Some rough ideas for my characters, backstory-wise... hopefully this'll give you a clearer picture of where I want to take the "world", Cuervo... let me know if you have any suggestions or things you want to add
So for one of my characters, I was thinking of doing a twist on a "cleric" character, that for my light version, he'd be like a roman politician.. using his charisma to influence the populace and direct his society. And for the dark version, he'd be some sort of masochistic priest/torturer guy.
So I was thinking that the character would start out as the leader of some small tribe, and this tribe would have made contact with both the good and evil civilizations. Depending on which civilization the character decides to have dealings with, they become involved in that society and eventually end up being "good" or "evil". Character will have some sort of adornment, a pendant that someone gave him, or a pouch that he keeps with him, that ties him to his tribal roots. Possibly a few scars, maybe some tattooage (though tattoos are pretty "obvious").
Now, for the second character I have to do,I was thinking a thief/rogue type character, because I love those guys. I was considering doing an orc thief, because you don't see much of that. They're always big lumbering warrior types, so seeing a graceful, stealthy one might be interesting.
For the good version, creating a sort of "robin hood" character who steals and robs, with honourable intentions.
Then for the bad one, a self-centered rogue, killing/looting travellers, assassinating, using his skills however he can to advance himself monetarily.
So in the thief's case, it's really all about nurture. How the character is brought up influences the values, therefore the path he/she takes. And possibly this could also be a character who comes from a tribe outside these two civilizations, but instead of joining them, the character preys on them.
those sketches are damned good mate, especially the right sided sketch. the variation on the good thief is better. the shoulder pads gave to much bulk to the character i think. Hows your chaplin going?
your right about the serious lack of time... ill up load my sketches tomorrow and get goin on the rendering them...
keep up the work mate... an when we win ill get the drinks in
Alright Cuervo here are my finals!!!
They are named "TeamChow_TeamDrunkenWastrel_Image001.jpg" with "Image001" through "Image004". So your numbering can follow that.
Also, I sized all my images to be 500px wide by 750px tall. The text is 25px from the top and left sides. The fonts I used were Trajan (Pro) for the headlines, 18pt I believe, and Times New Roman (12 pt) for the description.
Hopefully you can use those same fonts (or something similar) so we can have a consistent presentation.
Best of luck dude! Let's see your stuff!
Last edited by KarylGilbertson; August 30th, 2009 at 06:22 PM.