This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.
ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]
Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!
The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!
Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.
On to the nitty-gritty:
Here are the rules!
1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it. 2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random. 3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please! 4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits. 5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!
PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.
Gender: Male / Female
Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)
YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!
Okay, NOW GO!
The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.
1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.
And thanks so much to Zhanglu of Massive Black Shanghai who created to help get this contest get off to a great start!
Thanks, and Good Luck!
Lets start discussing =)
Last edited by QuaTronics; August 4th, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
i would like to go with something very very magical,
or something sci-fi,
so in the with a magical theme, even warriors would have a glowing sword etc,
we could achieve great visual effects with that,
what would you like to do? =^)
how are we going to contact eachother?
i would prefer skype, if you have it ofc
Last edited by QuaTronics; August 3rd, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
hey kimbee, welcome to to the team!
yesterday we had a talk on skype and we're planning to meet again
today gmt 10:00 pm - 00:00 am,
skype can be downloaded at http://www.skype.com/
all you have to do is make an account and add quatronics to your buddylist
we're now kinda planning to make it prehistoric, caveman warriors etc
hey kimbee welcome to the group, i was talking to quatronics, missed u yesterday. I Down loaded skype the other day its easy. u guys talked about the prehistoric, caveman theme. I'll try be on tomorrow.
Sounds good, 2kre8! I don't have to work tomorrow..well technically today now I suppose....so I won't have to rush off. I'll hopefully have a few sketches to show you guys tomorrow to! I'm super excited for this project, haha.
i like those colors quatronics, especially the full figure one orange and yellow. I also like yours to kimbee, interesting how the bad ones show just that little more skin. now I have to get my ass in gear and post something.