Vampyric tendencies
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Vampyric tendencies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vampyric tendencies

even though i just posted my entry in the final image thread, i figured id start a new thread just to get some feedback. and yesss im aware of randis' vampire entry which is fucking unbelievable. im pretty sure i started mine before him though as i was keeping up with his progress. anyway enough of that. crits comments appreciated. thanks people!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DeKal; August 29th, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    vampires and boobies, nothing beats that.
    Great job man, looks great!

I wish there were more vampire pics, i totally love vampire.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No one has the market cornered on Vampires, Dekal - they are a tried and true icon that'll never go out of style, so dont come out of the gate immediately comparing yourself to someone else; you'll not only drive yourself nuts doing that but you'll also give people a preconception to view your work through instead of viewing it for what it is.

Personally I see a big improvement for you on this one.
    The woman standing really commands your attention, she has a very unique look and you successfully gave her a readable, feminine, seductive energy; which is much harder to conjure than just slapping a half-naked woman on canvas with the cleavage center stage *cough* which is what I do *cough*.
    I notice you give lots of attention to the faces, it definately shows, and you did some great value work with the hair as well. I would love to see you devote some of that focus to the other areas in the work, the arms in particular I think might benefit from another look.

Good job and best of luck to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow the 2 sickest dudes in this contest both came to cheer me up

randis - thanks man. means a ton that you stopped in here

cryptcrawler - your totally right. i guess i just dont have the confidence in my work that i should. but reading your comment definately topped off my day. your right about everything. i hope one day ill be able to understand how you do what you do without any ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeKal View Post
    wow the 2 sickest dudes in this contest both came to cheer me up

randis - thanks man. means a ton that you stopped in here

cryptcrawler - your totally right. i guess i just dont have the confidence in my work that i should. but reading your comment definately topped off my day. your right about everything. i hope one day ill be able to understand how you do what you do without any ref.
    Its easy to understand: time
    I spend an inhuman amount of time drawing and when I practice I use nothing but photo reference, by doing so I study light; so when I sit down to draw from my mind I can recall it most of the time.
    If I get stuck ill go hunting down a photo, but thats always after ive started, not before; so if I do find something similiar I have to re-imagine it lit how I need it to be lit and in the position I need it to be in.

Its a painful excercise that ive practiced for years, its not an overnight matter. Trust me, it takes is 5% talent and 95% ball-busting and making sacrifices in your life to draw as much as possible, there's nothing special about it, and im *far* from where I want to be.

Im just like you man - another artist trying to get better.
    I think you have plenty of confidence and theres plenty of strength in your choices, you just have to be willing to experience more pain and spend more time at the desk.

Its tough to do, there are so many distractions in life, but it comes down to one question: How bad do you want it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super nice work! The colors look great and I love the way the blood looks running down I just love to see brush strokes. This paintign was handled very nice. You really did an amazing job DeKal...good luck!

-Linda Lisa

Illustrator/Concept Artist

:
    •Web Art Site
    •DeviantArt Art

:
    Linda Lisa West
    LindaLisaArt@live.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LillyCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crits and comments.. lol

hmm.. well - I like your shadow and light tonal usage it looks very very good. I also find your human dynamics and structure to be right there where they need to be. Your background matter does a very good job of deffering attention back to your vampire subjects.

Now with all critisism there are the con's - I don't think you challenged yourself enough with the subject matter & composition

-that was my problem except the opposite I over challenged myself with my composion & subject matter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BossaNova For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is good stuff, man, and no doubt.

Since you're looking for some crits, I'm going to offer and hope I say something helpful.

The rendering gets too flat for my tastes in many places. The trees recede, but then they stop receding, and feel like a backdrop six feet behind the subjects. The figures skin rounds nicely, their hair a little less so, and their clothes much less so. I understand trying to control focus and all, but the fabric below and to the right of the arms feels like it would be more satisfying if it had more volume and depth to it. It feels rather haphazardly indicated. The shadow the clasped hands cast onto the dress really flattens it out.

Your anatomy feels good, but not impeccable. The lower girl's cleavage/shoulder girdle feel a bit lopsided to me, and how the forearm of the clasped hand recedes would probably be improved if the elbow was kicked out to the side a bit.

The hand around the wrist isn't quite convincing to me, I feel I should see a significant plane change from the wrist to the back of the hand, and from the back of the hand to the fingers, and I don't quite feel it there.

One place that has some potential for really lovely contact and cast shadows and reflected light, etc. is the contact between the upper vamps breasts and the lower vamps shoulders. I think some extra work there would kick in some needed depth.

Hope I've said something useful -- ignore me if I haven't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason C-M - totally man. thanks for the crit. your pretty much right about everything. i put about another 15 minutes of tweaks into the image. biggest change is the cleavage. im just burnt out on the image. i put so much time and effort into it. thanks though

Members who have read this thread: 1