yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."
My concept of my Newborn entry is based on the story of the 'Polong', a Malaysian folklore creature. In a nutshell, my Newborn is a creature created by a black magic practitioner formed out of a murderer's blood. The blood is put into a bottle and dark incantations are cited to bring forth its existence. After a period, crying sounds will be audible from the bottle, and the owner will then have to feed the Polong blood from his finger. The Polong will then be summoned for evil intentions by the Master.
Based on information gathered from the web and that which explains elements in my illustration, here are some keywords...
- unseen ghost/invisible/never seen before- could be very unreal and doesn't have to make sense, hence the smoky, ghostly effect
- neither human nor demon, hence bits of animal parts, human parts, and plant parts
- crying sounds, hence the tears
- bird noises , hence the bird
- accompanied by a Pelesit, that is said to resemble a cricket (drawn by the head).
The Pelesit would burrow a hole into the victim, and the Polong would enter the hole.
For the "razor sharp tail", i used the shape of a keris since it's very symbolic of the Malaysian culture. I also used the hilt of a keris at the claw.