Team Chow II :: Sad Panda

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow II :: Sad Panda

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Team Chow II :: Sad Panda

So here's the sketchbook for Sad Panda, the team that ran out of cookies. This team includes Tiki Snakes, FalyneVarger & Morgalahan

I think I may shamelessly copy Daestwen and reserve this spot for the Final Work.

For now, the Team Chow topic and information:

TEAM CHOW II: GOOD AND EVIL
    DESCRIPTION

This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.

ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]

Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!

The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!

Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.

On to the nitty-gritty:

Here are the rules!

1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!

Okay, NOW GO!

--------

SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
    6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.

Last edited by morgalahan; August 7th, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I may as well post some updates. We're painting characters that should be fantasy D&D themed, since we're both major D&D fans. Tiki is doing a sorcerer, and I'm doing a magic and sword fighter. So far, Tiki's sketched his character and I've created a rough version of it.

I dare say that these are rough as rough can be, just character sketches and ideas. I'll get my character up at some point as well. I expect major evolutions to follow.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mood board thingy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to morgalahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a sketch of MY character, guess which version it is and you get a cookie =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sad panda is sad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    working on the good version of my character. I'll render it a some more tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you've got a cool name for your team! haha! Looking good so far! Where are your team mates?

The best things in life are free...!

BLOG
    BLOG SketchBook
    Website
    facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ImaGEEnation For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ImaGEEnation, it's nice to know that someone's actually looking! =P My team mates? They're um, out there, or HE is...I've actually posted an advert on the sign up thread asking if one or two more people want to join this team. Oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm peeking in too! Awww, don't be sad, panda! :3

You're doing what you can, and that effort is great! You have an interesting way of showing the good and evil characters. The evil one at the moment has a much more powerful "glow" going on, where the good character has a softer look, and is smiling rather kindly! Nice contrast!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jazz, it's really nice to know that there are actually people who look =P My personal opinion about good and evil is that it doesnt always have to be glaringly obvious. Sometimes it's about expression, body language, or even more subtle things. =D

Yay! Sad Panda has a new team member! Woot! Welcome to the team FalyneVarger!

On a side not, I really think we outta try and work like this team did. So, we should all create our characters i.e. design them then we pass them around so that everyone can work on them. That way we'd get a unified style so that everything looks good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to be here! >D
    So I'm thinking about a female elven archer character. I'll do some sketches tomorrow and we can sift through them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another reference board. I'm making a few. This one's for clothing and armor.

EDIT And another for weapons

Last edited by morgalahan; August 7th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to morgalahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an armor study for my character, good armor and evil armor =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The spear in the bottom right is my favorite. I'd love to do a character with a similar weapon.
    I don't think I want to do a female elf anymore though. Isn't that what the character you've created already is? We should try to keep more variety in our teams. But to be sure (because I'm not lol) what are the races and jobs of the current characters?

And, from what I understand, since we are a team of three we need to create six characters, right? And two version of each one, good and evil, so that's 12 pictures in all. At least that is how I understand the brief.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I should let everyone know I won't be able to post or help on Wednesday, I have a heavy workload then and when I'm done I just come home and pass out. Also, I work nights, sleep during the day, and my next semester of school starts in less than two weeks. So I'm busy a lot of the time. Right now I should be able to contribute. My school work isn't that hard and I think my sleeping is more of an issue time-wise.
    But I work fast! So that helps a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First character

So here is a rough character sheet for a male Hare thief. (rabbit boy HUZZAH) His outfit design is probably closer to what will end up being his "evil side." I figure for the good one he'll lose the jacket and bandanna, wear his ears up, and have more of a tunic shirt. Of course, all of that is subject to change because our characters need to match each other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Logo proposal

And since I had some time (ten minutes lol), here is something for the team! >3
    Feel free to adjust it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that if we banded the good and evil teams together with a common theme that it would make the designs a whole lot easier. From the characters so far I think evil could go with a "punk rock" theme. And maybe good could have another, lighter, genre of music. Sadly the only thing that comes to mind for that right now is country and I'm not sure how that would play in with the fantasy theme. What do you guys think?
    Anyways, I'm tweaking my Hare thief to fit the theme. At the very least it makes him more evil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thief

So here is another sketch for the thief. I think he is more rock than punk, though. So perhaps we could use rougher music influences for the evils and lighter for the goods.
    That's my idea, anyway. I'd be just as happy going with another theme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowy Falyne, you've been really really busy!

So far the characters we have are:

A human male sorcerer

A elf/elemental sword and magic user

As per Daestwen clarifying things, we need to create 6 PORTRAITS, so we only need to make 3 characters. We are allowed to make as many as we want to really.

What we may need to discuss is some worldbuilding.

It seems that a lot of other teams are actually going a lot more in depth with this than simply creating character portraits. We need to decided if we want it to be a new unique fantasy world, some unifying themes we can all employ (like your music influence) and what style we want the eventual portraits to be in. I like the idea of maybe doing them in a sort of classical oil style, as if the characters were actually posing for their portraits, but that may be a bit to cliche. At the least we need some way to present the finished work so that it all fits together nicely.

So maybe some backstory for the characters would be a good start, for example, how did your hare thief come to be part hare? Was he born that way or transformed after he broke into a wizards tower and set off a trap?

I'm sort of thinking that even though I really like my character, we can always come up with some new ones to fit a different theme if we want to. We should also decide on how many we want to end up painting. Do we want to stick to the minimum of 3 or do 5 maybe? it all depends on how much time and effort we can put into this really.

BTW, I like the logo

EDIT

I just had an idea. What if there was some sort of reason for our characters to be evil other than simple lifestyle choice? What if there was some sort of magical plague that made them insane and evil, made them serve a dark master. Think being turned into a vampire. Bit like the ones from Buffy. Not neccasarily souless, but corrupted. Something that would be physical and show easily in the portraits.

Last edited by morgalahan; August 8th, 2009 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Told ya I work fast.

Glad to hear that. That takes a lot of work off. ^^;

Yeah. I wouldn't mind doing them in an oil color STYLE, but just posing is kind of boring and it stifles personality. It would put a lot of restrictions that I don't think we really want here.
    I think the corruption idea sounds pretty good. It gives a decent reason why the same characters would be split between good and evil. In this case how about we start with four characters? I could easily handle three of the portraits, probably more. That way we'd have eight pieces to do. I have no problem scrapping my Hare to fit the world we build.
    So as to a style for the clothes, I figure we can choose either a time period from different cultures, a certain fantasy world that already exist (e.i. lord of the rings), or from a music genre.
    How bout we have a hero that lead our party on some kind of quest, but somehow along the way they become tainted. Like they discovered a cursed jewel and were consumed with greed? I guess in this case the hero might need to be rather obvious. (aside from naming them "hero")

I wish our hours weren't so backwards. 0o All the work I'll be doing is while you sleep. I think the only time we are both awake is between 7 and 10 a.m. (i normally try to be asleep by 10)
    I need to wake up early tomorrow (for me lol) at 7 p.m. because my grandmother is coming to visit. I'll probably only be free after 9:30, then I expect you'll be going to bed. But I'll try to come up with some other ideas in the meantime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, yes, timezones are a bitch

But yeah, liking the ideas. So, 4 characters, I was really drawn to a sort of celtic/tribal vibe when looking for armor refs. Not quite lotr, but close I suppose. To have the 4 characters start the journey, and a special hero leader, would be awesome. I thought then that maybe the 'good' portraits could be the starting point of the journey, then we show how they end up with the 'evil' portraits.

My preference for classes and races is a weird mix a lot of the times. I'm a D&D player so I'm exposed to character creation a hell of a lot. Is there any game you play that you'd like to draw inspiration from?

I love world of warcraft, lord of the rings, most D&D worlds and settings, lots of vampire stories and so on. I'd probably draw inspiration and ideas from these worlds and settings almost without noticing. Trying to come up with something new and different is the hardest things around. I'll do some quick character concept sketches of different things, and maybe we can all choose the ones we like the best from everyone's sketches and ideas. Or we could stick with the idea of creating our own characters and going with them. We'd need to be careful of not becoming too attached to them since we should be passing the characters around so that everyone has a chance to work on them.

So far here's a list of basic fantasy races and classes off the top of my head:

Human
    Elf
    Dwarf
    Halfling
    Gnome
    Orc
    Troll
    Goblin
    Beast-races i.e. minotaur, cat person or any mix of animal
    Fae, the scary freaky kind
    Dragon
    Gryphon

Fighter/warrior
    Monk
    Thief
    ranger
    Sorcerer
    Wizard
    Cleric
    Barbarian

I could just go on and on...

I had a thought while writing those up, what about mixing some classical greek mythology into it? We have all the awesome monsters and races from that time. I think a fusion world would be fun, greek influences in monsters and races, with a celtic culture/theme mixed with some interesting magic. For some reason crystals come to mind, like using crystals and gems as magic. Or any ancient culture that has interesting mythology. I have a friend who's been stydying that sort of thing for years, so I'll ask him about it. Think of the old cultures, gaelic/celtic, persian...I think we should stay away from Asian tho, since a lot of people are already using that, as well as south american, and african.

I'll post some sketches later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read a lot of Dragonlance books. Right now I'm reading the Legends trilogy. You should google Raistlin. As for games, I started to play D&D years ago, but stopped because my team fell apart. Odin Sphere is really inspiring though. It's based on Norse mythology. I know a lot more about that than I do Greek myths. The Valkyries in particular are noteworthy.
    I know that quite a few people (at least two) are going for an African tribe inspired look. So we should probably leave that one be.

We could have our hero be a halfling of some kind. To make them stronger and more interesting.

I think I like the Fae and Beasts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://morgalahan.deviantart.com/art...paper-76394118

lol, ignore the picture quality, I was still learning how to paint.
    I have to admit I'm not the greatest fan of halflings...but norese mythology is interesting

I did some very rough sketches here, as a tester.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems like a good place to start. We can keep messing around with the races until we get it right.
    I'd like to handle the Cleric in particular, if you don't mind.
    I also like the idea of having our leader be a female. She could have short hair and a spear or two blades.
    I'll do some more sketches soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So has Tiki Snakes quit the team? I'm just curious. We've already decided to go ahead with four characters despite our number.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clerics

So here are some random clerics characters. My love of elves tells me to choose her, but we are supposed to stay away from stereotypes on this. I actually kind of like the Dwarf cleric. More than I thought I would at least.

And also an elf hero idea. The style we do this in is really going to effect things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I was thinking.
    I'd honestly love to do this with a vampire theme as you mentioned before.
    In a style similar to Ayami Kojima's http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_cas...nocence_a.html
    http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_cas...e-night_a.html
    http://www.creativeuncut.com/art_cas...-sorrow_a.html
    Evil would be easy-peasy. The only problem with that would be how to do the good team.

EDIT-
    I guess we might be able to leave the good side human, but I'm not sure if that would count as a race change or not.

Last edited by FalyneVarger; August 9th, 2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: new thought

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to apologise for my silence for the last few days. My PC access time has been cut a bit due to the fact that more people need to use the computer than me, and I can only use it late at night for my own use. So...yeah. I've also been feeling cappy the last few days, so when it DOES get to be late at night, I feel more like going to bed

But I'll try and get a move on tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering what happened to you. 0o In fact I was starting to think I'd have to drop out of this event altogether. I guess if it comes down to it I can find another team.

But then again there is other art that demands my attention.

I hope you can find some more time on the computer. (give it a few more days lol)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7