Team CHOW II: The Happy Little Trees - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think if you could strike a balance between the first two, that would be a good starting point.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 19th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with CK on the colours. I really like the first one (the one on the left), I think it suits the whole look we seem to be going for the best, but I think it needs to be a bit warmer.

They all look awesome though. The one on the right is really striking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some silos, poses and costume designs for my bad healer. I'm liking the last one the best overall I think, except the expression needs to be a bit more arrogant. I also like the costume for the very first design though, so bit unsure. Thoughts?

Name:  bd_healer_silo.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  115.2 KB
    Name:  bd_healer_silo2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  122.9 KB
    Name:  bd_healer_silo3.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  88.6 KB

I've got a rough sample sketch drawn for both versions ready for the portraits. I'll post that later when I've touched it up a bit, so it's more readable. Can't wait to get stuck in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the 4th costume the most personally

My Sketchbook
    Team CHOW 2 ALH, Blackcherry, Nimzicki, CKLamb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm nursing a massive hang-over at the moment, but I should be up and running tonight. If you could all e-mail me a scaled down psd of your current wip I would appreciate it.

lambck@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On its way to you now.

My Sketchbook

ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Changed the arm when i shouldnt have, looks crappy now, gonna repaint it later. I've been rather demotivated on this, I should have had it done in a day, now i'm getting frustrated with it. I've been too distracted by whats coming up tomorrow, and am pissed at myself for not getting it done quicker.

I may leave it as is and move onto my evil when I get back on thursday, fresh eyes in the last week should mean I regain my mojo for finishing her off.

Edit- Nim- thats really starting to take shape, awesome . He's meant to be non-human though right? I would argue for making that a little more obvious in his anatomy, even if its just skin tone or fangs or something. At the moment those pointy ears suggest a degree of elf, which is dangerous territory considering we have 2 elf like creatures already.

Cherry- I like the third one here, because its more tailored, though the pattern/mail/etc on the last one (with the rose) is an interesting fabric choice.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ALH; August 18th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't want to overkill the exposure of this piece, but I could use a couple extra eyes to evaluate this, I've been staring at it to long. (Still working my way down as you can see.)

Name:  thief_evil.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  163.4 KBName:  thief_goodCOLOR.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  161.5 KB

Last edited by {CKL}; August 19th, 2009 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting designs! Nice variety of characters too.
    Those last two portraits are looking good.

Keep it going.
    Cheers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DIMAGYAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ALH, yeah the skin tone/facial structure was something I was worrying about and still need to address, just been putting it off so far.

Corey - I love it, the only thing that stands out to me so far is the lips, he's got a sort of pout and lip stick thing going when I glance at it.

Edit - Went for a red/brown skin tone, changed up the face a bit, rounded off the ears, not so elfy now:

Last edited by nimzicki; August 19th, 2009 at 04:24 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ALH- I really like the pose and soft expression. The overall color is a little to warm, you may need to go back in and intermix some cooler tones. Also, The wrinkles and cracks in her face seem a little to stylized, go back to your references and play around with it.

Cherry- I tend to like the second set of designs you created, the long coat and cape set up. I like the idea of something stylish and kind of dandy. I'm so/so on the symbol, the hand symbol kind of reminds me of Lord of the Rings, the white wizard's army. I'd do something that is more like an embroidered insignia that can be incorporated on his clothing as an embellishment, on the chest is a throwback to superheroes.

Nim- I think the rendering on the breastplate is coming along nicely, the skin color needs some reference, it's kind of muddy at the moment. Also, I don't exactly feel like the straps look like they are a part of his armor, they seem like they're added separately. I think you need to push this around some, it's kind of suffering from genericism at the moment. BTW, thanks for emailing your psd, I'll send you some suggestions and notes today sometime. I'll play with the lips on mine some, I wanted to add some freak factor to him, so it was intentional, but maybe it's a little much.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 19th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ALH: Looking good. I like the different textures and patterns on her costume. The colours are looking a little bright compared to Nimzickiís and CKlambís though.

Nimzicki:
    Your piece is coming along great. The face looks a lot better now that youíve added some more detail. The armour is also coming along nicely. I like the beginning of what looks like a demon head on his left shoulder.

CK: Really like how your portrait is developing. I like the colours and the addition of the tree in the background, looks good. I agree with Nimzicki on the lips. I also think the skin needs more detail so itís not so smooth looking.
    As for my piece, I totally forgot about the hand symbol being in lord of the rings!! Ahh! No worries Iíll have to alter it or come up with something different or simpler. I think he needs some sort of insignia , as I see him as being a sort of Ďcultí leader type, but yeah Iíll try and steer away from superheroes.

--------------------------

This is the beginning of my Ďdarkí portrait:

Name:  bdhealer_wip1.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  109.6 KB

Very early stages, I'm working on the shading and getting the details in now. Iím considering a vase of dead flowers on the table with the one in his hand being 'revived' . We shall see how it develops, I might scrap it as the portrait develops.

Iím not sure on colours for him yet. Iím thinking possibly light coloured hair though? Not only to add variety to our group but also because the light colour might help associate him as a healer.

When I've got the image rendered enough in greys I'll start playing with colour and lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick paintover suggestions, I never received psds from you two so I'll just post them here, rich you'll get something in the mail soon.

ALH- I toned down the warmth and color with a saturation layer. Then I went in and softened the forms, hardlines should usually come in at the end just in the deepest of crevices. This version is probably a little to sweet looking, but you get what I'm saying.

Name:  mage07.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  180.7 KB

Cherry- On the head, the face is to scrunched in and you've got a lot of cranium floating around. On the clothing, try to scale back on the sizing of things (such as the huge buttons, gloves, and boots, super thin legs and arms) Try to pull away from the cartooning at this point. And, going over your brushwork, try to use larger brushes to develop form, smaller brushes tend to get streaky.

Name:  bdhealer_wip1 (1).jpg
Views: 185
Size:  86.4 KB

Last edited by {CKL}; August 19th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to go for at least one extra character, the gnomish summoner.

Name:  Summoner.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  165.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not going to lie the canine anatomy is kicking my ass.

Doris- By December! Mark my words!

Name:  Summoner.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  114.3 KB

Last edited by {CKL}; August 20th, 2009 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    I'm not going to lie the canine anatomy is kicking my ass.

Doris- By December! Mark my words!
    Hell I don't doubt you, you're kicking ass on this That summoner is at least seven kinds of awesome.

Thanks for the paintover btw, ill have another crack at it today and try and beat it into submission, I need to make the demon armour thing work though, its all pretty basic at the moment, hmmm....

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey CK Lamb, maybe you could change the pose of one of your thieves, I think one is good and one is evil, if so, I think you should change the pose of one of them, so that it is clearer to read. For the moment your evil seems to me more good than evil. But love the composition, the colors and the mood its a really nice piece, so is the summoner
    ALH nice char, really like it
    nimzicki nice char too, but try to add a bit of highlights, he seems to be a bit flat for the moment.
    Anyway good work team ! keep it coming !!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CK Love the summoner character

Oh, forgot to say, thanks for the paintover too. I'll keep it as reference and take what you said into account!

Last edited by blackcherry; August 20th, 2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: adding more things

21. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great progress so far people.

CK- your portraits are nice, but very dark - i suspect this will change as things develop, but watch out for that leg area, its so dark atm that it reads as a blob.

Im still pwnd from being awake 24 hours yesterday, i can barely type without crazy typos so i dont know if ill get much done today, perhaps i will regain some energy later on, but atm i seriously need to veg out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mark- Thanks, I'll definitely change a few things up on the dark portrait.

Cherry- No problem, discard any suggestions you don't care for or agree with.

ALH- Which one? The Thief or Summoner? (and on the summoner are you talking about the wolf?) Actually this brings up a good point, what might be reading on my monitor might not be on everyone else's (my current settings are for graphics, so everything is a little brighter), so if this is a consistent problem I can increase the brightness on my work a little.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 20th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah yes, brain is still mush so not clear- on the thief.

Oh, and if youre struggling with wolf anatomy- the head should be more slimline, with less of a cranium. The arched back doesnt really fit either, but it still reads as a fantasy creature, so i wouldnt worry about too much. I did a quick push around to show what I mean, kind of hard to tell what sort of pose you're going for to figure out the legs etc though.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ALH- Ah, I see what you're talking about, that back boot is pretty sloppy, when I go back over it I'll fix it up, I'll be doing slouched boots when I get back to them. Thanks for the touch up on the beast, I'll definitely slenderize the head, and actually increase the size so I can justify all the bulk behind her. (I think it'll look right once I fix the head, I'm going more for coyote, thus the bushy tail)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coyote you'll need to slenderise things even more towards the fox side, and really push those ears in length. The creature you have atm is more like a bush dog or arctic fox or something.

Oh god look at this little fella, he is awesome, he could fuck you up if he wasnt so obviously small and rodenty. It seems I was thinking of Raccoon dog not this guy, but he is awesome, you should do one of him.

Last edited by ALH; August 20th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear god that's an ugly critter. Anyways, I'll get the beast right one way or the other, as long as he doesn't stand out over her I'm happy.

Edit: Changed the head up there on the canine, I think it's doable now.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 20th, 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if its just the early brushwork but the canines shoulder blade looks too high and close to the spine? Looks like it needs to come down a lil more to me.

The brightness on your pieces look spot on with my monitor but thats set up for graphic work too...

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll take care of the canine issues, I just want to start seeing some finished work out of everyone. We need all portraits finished within six days so we can at least work on format for three or four days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Addressing a few issues that CK brought up, also trying to work out the design to fit with the back story more and remove itself from the bland mediocrity that it was in. Do you guys think this is better?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asian'd her up, she was too 'angled', I want her to have that kind of mischievous, almost child like rounded face despite her years without the typical hooked nose witchyness. I'd have explored that further if my schedule hadnt been so pwnd, but while Im 2 weeks behind Its better to stick to my mood boards D:. She may change again by the end, but at this point I need to move on to the next portrait..and ARM ARM ARM.

I know this is still too saturated, but its easier to desat than sat up, so its something I dont want to worry about until I have more important things finalised. Project has been such a shambles on my side, still pissed at myself for not sticking to my usual workflow, but i guess its been a learning experience as to how I react to the schedule suddenly changing, when in a group project, especially a group with an artist with far more portraiture experience competing against people with even more professional experience.... I dont think i've fared as well as i should and Its stressing me out when it shouldnt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ALH- Thats looking really nice, I get a very fairytale like feeling from it. And, now that the face isn't as severe, the warm tones feel more inviting. I think before, it was a bit more like the warmth from hellfire.

I've started to push into color on this one. I want to be finished up with it by either tonight or tomorrow midday. Thieves should be done by Sunday night.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 21st, 2009 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yeah, that was an in progress face, She was very gnomish to start with, so i humanised her, but I had made it way too dark and was trying to lighten her up, was approaching it in the wrong way and all it seemed to do was make her look creepy.

Good/evil side by side here. Even though its only been a short while since i was freaking out I feel a little more on top of things now, and I think flitting between the two to touch problem areas up and detail where necessary will be more fruitful than the alternative. I'm going to tone down some of the mess around her feet on the evil version, the discharge obstructs them more than i'd like, and add some friendly magic to the 'good'..of course now i desaturate things so I can get a better contrast

I can stealthily put something across her (admittedly crappy atm - its gonna be SOO much grosser) nipple area if people have a problem with it- the shirt falling down thing is meant to show the horriffic bitemark scar which has been picked at and made fresh by whatever event turned her evil - the same scars will be on the good version, but in a more subtle form.

The blue streak was just meant to emphasise her crazy, painting half of your face with some sort of neon isnt a neutral act, its threatening, and perhaps she now also follows in the face painted cult of the evil healer.

Nim- do you have any sketches of what the evil version of your demon armour will look like? I'd like to hint towards the demon itself in the evil version of her crotch pelt

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3