Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    That is one weird tale but also crazily interesting! I like stuff like that. It would be awesome to illustrate! I'll have to check out some local folklore books actually, could be useful for future reference if not for this!

Also I've started putting together moodboards and research for the healer section now I'll post them later.

As for the knight, I think mine is the weakest of the lot so think I'm going to leave it there rather than spend the whole day painting it when I'm not even happy with where it is now. It'll just dishearten me. I think I'd be better off moving on and focusing on my chosen class, if that's cool with you guys?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    My style guide would be as follows:

1. Close to natural proportions for height 7 1/2 to 8 heads. (unless you're doing a dwarf or other size specific race)

2. Focal areas like the face, hands, etc. should be fully realized and rendered while the rest blends into a more stylized and graphical style (hard lines and color blocks like ALH's design)

3. Use slightly exaggerated body shape, like cherry's design, to relay character. Maybe not as exaggerated as cherry's, but enough to notice.

I personally would like to see, era wise, a play on some medieval/renaissance/baroque/asymmetrical fantasy designs. Also, ALH's design really has me wanting to grab them in cold weather gear: think furs, layers, metal. However, skin can still be exposed as much as necessary, maybe your character just likes it that way.
    This sounds good to me! I think I can work to that. Also I love the idea of the whole winter/cold weather theme/look. That could be interesting to explore and would be another way of linking our designs.

Thanks
    Feel free to start working on your primary. We need to have initial thumbnails and sketches finished by this weekend.

Thanks
    Im in all in for the style guide, however, first thoughts that hit me without working anything up is how well will the full rendered parts flow with the more graphical parts? Im slightly worried that forms might not end up reading as well, can you think of any examples that employ this style or are we trail blazing?

My Sketchbook
    Team CHOW 2 ALH, Blackcherry, Nimzicki, CKLamb

ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Thanks
    1. Close to natural proportions for height 7 1/2 to 8 heads. (unless you're doing a dwarf or other size specific race)
    On that- from what I can tell reading these old myths so far, there are a lot of extremes in the descriptions of mythical folk and heroes, so it would be interesting if our characters are wild in terms of scale to each other (even if they keep the 7-8 heads proportion) One robin hood like character i've stumbled across here is described as being 6'8 tall!

Elves, in such a contrast to how they are portrayed in todays media that it seems we're all forgotten their origins- are described as being tiny little helpful pixie folk, living in vast underground rabbit warren cities etc.

It may be worth checking out myths on elves/pixies etc for the healer character, they seem to be a creative bunch, more than happy to help humans, until the humans set dogs down their rabbit holes and slaughter the lot of them, then they either hide away forever or get nasty and cause mayhem.

Methinks its time we reclaim the tiny elf and get rid of this ' just a good looking pointy eared version of a human' nonsense!

Thanks
    Oohh one more thing, we've decided on classes (I think) but has everyone decided on race? We need to make sure we get a good variation going...

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nimzicki View Post
    Im in all in for the style guide, however, first thoughts that hit me without working anything up is how well will the full rendered parts flow with the more graphical parts? Im slightly worried that forms might not end up reading as well, can you think of any examples that employ this style or are we trail blazing?
    Its a speedpaint technique, you only render whats important. I see more of it in horror than fantasy though, which (quick concepts aside) seems traditionally much more focused on detail, though i say that as someone who has a much bigger collection of horror images than fantasy :p

Some graphic stuff -

http://fiduciose.cgsociety.org/gallery/300381/
    http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery...eed-paint.html
    http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/ar...16424_640w.jpg
    http://crazypumpkinsnest.files.wordp...-conceptsm.jpg
    http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_m...jpreviewth.jpg

Ashley wood = om nom nom nom. Ungodly win.

http://www.ashleywoodartist.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for the education

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nimzicki View Post
    Oohh one more thing, we've decided on classes (I think) but has everyone decided on race? We need to make sure we get a good variation going...
    Yeah I was wondering about this too, What's everyone thinking? I was leaning towards though I could go for elf just as easily now I'm thinking about it.

I suppose we could decide on this after establishing some initial ideas.

Also I agree with having a variety of scales for the characters. My initial idea so far has mine being pretty tall, though I'm trying to gather some helpful research and visuals first before I rush in and become too set on something without exploring first.

Oh and Ashley Wood Art's awesome! Going to check out the other links too now

Thanks
    Looking up some alternate races from celtic myths (since we're allowed to add new ones :3) and stumbled across these ugly seaside folk-

Fomorians

The word fomóire is believed to derive from Old Irish fo muire (Modern Irish faoi muire), "under the sea". This, combined with their association with glass towers in the western ocean, suggests a connection with icebergs. However the mór element may derive from a word meaning "terror", whose Anglo-Saxon cognate "maere" survives in English "nightmare"

They are sometimes said to have had the body of a man and the head of a goat, according to an 11th century text in Lebor na hUidre (the Book of the Dun Cow), or to have had one eye, one arm and one leg, but some, for example Elatha, the father of Bres, were very beautiful. Bres himself carries the epithet "the Beautiful."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomorians

List of mythical species ( includes giants, little people etc) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._and_mythology

Last edited by ALH; August 4th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    I guess everyone should write a character brief. Don't worry about overlapping with someone else's idea at this point we just need to pin down a direction.

My current idea for Thief is:

Race: Some kind of half-breed: 1/2 Human, 1/2 Elf, Goblin, Orc, or something

Physical Characteristics: about 5'4-5'9', lithe, cuts an angular silhouette(maybe slightly hunched over), pointed facial features, pale translucent skin, purplish black lips, large toothy grin. Conceals most of his features to hide his mixed heritage.

Defining Issue:Coming to terms with heritage, unreturned love, or isolation.

Feel free to start sketching at this point. Think about your thumbnails and where you want to go with pose and gesture.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 4th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Mage

Race: Human, though studies in the dark arts of a long lost race of god like creatures.

Physical Characteristics: Old enough to seem out of place in battle, posesses deep visible scars from a 'traumatic event in her past'.

Defining Issue: Traumatic event in past still haunts her. Has to come to terms with her own mortality. Some suspect she may have gone senile quite some time ago, and that there never was an 'event'.

- Some see her as a wise woman, versed in an encyclopaedic knowledge of the dark ways, she is often called upon to rid towns of their imp problems.

- The event in her childhood is what made her focus on learning dark magic. At the moment i'm thinking a corrupt dogooder did something to a loved one and she is out for revenge, or perhaps she was a victim of a kidnapping, attempted witch hunt/ virgin sacrafice etc. Plenty of kidnapped maidens out there, must have sucked to be a girl back then knowing you were likely to be picked off by a dragon once you hit puberty. Plus, what happens if youre rescued and its NOT happily ever after?

Kind of want to avoid making it a 'ladette' feminist statement, this isnt WOMEN CAN BE KNIGHTS TOO JUST LIKE THE MEN LOOK AT MY WONDERBRA, THAT MEANS IM LIBERATED *belch* GRRL POWER!

More Ripley than Princess Fiona. She is disturbed by what happened to her, She may not WANT to continue fighting, but cannot give up. It waned as she got older, it doesnt sting so much, but at some point she will be reminded of what happened and it will push her over the edge.

Thanks
    My idea so far for the healer is:

Race: Human or Elf (haven’t decided yet)
    Defining Issue: A decision of allegiance / bad choice / something related to power.
    Physical Characteristics: Tall (over 6ft), Angular features and form, Slim build, long limbs, long hair.

As for age, I’ve been thinking of maybe distorting this slightly depending on the path he choses. For example if he goes towards evil his appearance may be distorted due to his dabbling with the darker side of things, or it may even expand his life line and keep him youthful. However if I do do this I would keep certain defineable features the same so he can be clearly identified in both.

Will do some research and sketches and write the brief over the next few days.

Oh btw, Have any of you seen Heroes the TV show? If so something I found interesting in that was the man with healing powers (he can heal injuries, disease, give life to flowers and also mental scarring), Linderman, is basically a mob boss who's manipulative and has no problem with having people assasinated.

Thought that kind of links in to the sort of twist on stereotypes we were talking about before.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2